PDA

View Full Version : Elegant ways of eliminating AMF

Toliudar
2011-11-22, 02:42 PM
Against my better judgment, I've agreed to participate in a PvP arena match. I'll be using a level 20/20 favoured soul/sorcerer, since Tier 1 and prestige classes are banned. A third player will be presenting the arena as we step in. I'll have a round or two to buff.

I have reason to believe that the other player is building a character that relies on ToB extraordinary abilities and an anti-magic field. I know that I MAY be able to step back and batter him with Conjuration(Creation) spells, but in case he's got a way, with the format of the arena, to keep me pinned in the field, I'm looking for any other solutions. Is there a reliable way to take down an AMF (I could use disjunction, but would prefer not to - both because it's unreliable, and it's on a list of things (like Polymorph) that I'm trying to avoid using out of lactose intolerance.

Any WotC sources are open to me. Are there any gear/feat/tactical options that I'm missing to either remove or ignore the effects of an AMF?

Flickerdart
2011-11-22, 02:47 PM
The most popular way is the Shrink Item'd adamantine cone worn as a hat. There's also Initiate of Mystra, which works great if you can swap your Favored Soul to Cleric.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-22, 02:50 PM
You can always dispel the AMF with disjunction. Dweomerkeeper would let you get around it, afaik. Or, you could get some called creatures: since called creatures are not dispellable, they don't wink out.

You could also try to force your opponent into incorporeality, thereby making him lower his AMF or disappear. Or, tell his AMF to buzz off and use spells that don't care about it: wall of force and prismatic wall, for example.

gbprime
2011-11-22, 03:01 PM
What's the arena itself like? Will you be allowed to fly above it or step through it's walls?

With at least 1 round to buff, you open with Time Stop. Then follow with Superior Invisibility and Project Image.

You start casting from the image, he'll close with that first. This gives you a few more rounds to be very much someplace else and to start boxing him in with walls and force cage spells. Once he can't move out of a few select spaces, conjure and bury him in sand until he drowns. :xykon:

Flickerdart
2011-11-22, 03:08 PM
How is he casting it? If he has an item, a Chained Greater Dispel Magic or Disjunction will get rid of it handily, along with the rest of his toys. Don't forget to Quickened Dimensional Anchor him so that he can't use his nasty Swordsage teleports.

gbprime
2011-11-22, 03:12 PM
How is he casting it? If he has an item, a Chained Greater Dispel Magic or Disjunction will get rid of it handily, along with the rest of his toys. Don't forget to Quickened Dimensional Anchor him so that he can't use his nasty Swordsage teleports.

That's true, you do need to anchor him.

tyckspoon
2011-11-22, 03:27 PM
Try to win initiative, and then assess how he's getting his AMF; if he's not a caster class, the only practical ways I can think of would be Runescarred Berserker (in which case get Battlemagic Perception and/or a Ring of Spellbattle and counterspell that jive.. actually, do that anyway, you'll want them for the inevitable encounter with another caster) or the Antimagic Torc (assuming custom items aren't in use, because everything gets really silly with them), in which case you Dispel it before he can activate it and put him out before it comes back online. If you want to be really cruel about it, get a Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell and knock out everything that's visible on him.

If he does get it off, breaking line of effect is your best bet; Wall of Force and Prismatic Wall/Sphere are good for this. To get past them, he will most likely have to turn off his AMF (the Shadow Hand teleports require both line of sight and line of effect. Your walls prevent Line of Effect, and the Prismatics will block sight as well) or suck up the saves and just crash through the Prismatic. If he doesn't come after you, you'll have all the time you need to become invisible/incorporeal/ghostformed/whatever, teleport to the far side of the arena, and pick your favored AMF-compatible method of gunning him down.

Malachei
2011-11-22, 03:51 PM
With Invoke Magic, you can cast in an AMF. Only < 5th level, but enough to get away... i.e. get out of the AMF-embrace and get enough distance again.

Toliudar
2011-11-22, 04:34 PM
What's the arena itself like? Will you be allowed to fly above it or step through it's walls?

With at least 1 round to buff, you open with Time Stop. Then follow with Superior Invisibility and Project Image.

You start casting from the image, he'll close with that first. This gives you a few more rounds to be very much someplace else and to start boxing him in with walls and force cage spells. Once he can't move out of a few select spaces, conjure and bury him in sand until he drowns. :xykon:

It's a fun image, but I don't know dimensions/materials for the arena, and won't until the match begins.

Maybe I'm not clear on the logistics you're describing, but if he can't get out, how could my conjured material get in?

gbprime
2011-11-22, 04:44 PM
It's a fun image, but I don't know dimensions/materials for the arena, and won't until the match begins.

Maybe I'm not clear on the logistics you're describing, but if he can't get out, how could my conjured material get in?

Forcewall and forcecage can be dismissed.

Hirax
2011-11-22, 04:47 PM
Win initiative
Dimensional lock (no touch attack necessary)+forcecage (walled variety)
Forcecage blocks line of effect, which shadow hand teleports require. If he activates his AMF, he suppresses the dimensional lock, but still can't get out of the forcecage or teleport due to his AMF, so your foe now cannot get out
Column of ice to create a platform under your foe if he's flying
Created 4 walls of iron anchored to the ground in a perfect square around the forcecage.
Create a 5th that's loose.
Cast levitate on the 5th loose one, use it as a plug for the opening at the top of the 4 walls of iron. Remember that walls of iron are perfectly smooth, so make one that's just the right size to be a plug
Shapechange into any colossal creature, giving you an approximate weight of 125 tons or more (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat)
Stand on the plug at the top
The moment forcecage ends, dimensional lock will still be active because it has a days/level duration. Forcecage was the only thing keeping the plug up, so as soon as forcecage ends, your foe has 125+tons crashinig down on him. AMFs will do nothing to stop the conjured walls of iron, and the AMF also is blocked by the wall of iron, so it won't affect you.

Malachei
2011-11-22, 04:47 PM
Ideally, you'll cast it so fast he can't act in between. Dimensional Lock + Something (BFC) Quick + Forcecage is one of the usual methods.

Toliudar
2011-11-22, 04:55 PM
Try to win initiative, and then assess how he's getting his AMF; if he's not a caster class, the only practical ways I can think of would be Runescarred Berserker (in which case get Battlemagic Perception and/or a Ring of Spellbattle and counterspell that jive.. actually, do that anyway, you'll want them for the inevitable encounter with another caster) or the Antimagic Torc (assuming custom items aren't in use, because everything gets really silly with them), in which case you Dispel it before he can activate it and put him out before it comes back online. If you want to be really cruel about it, get a Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell and knock out everything that's visible on him.

If he does get it off, breaking line of effect is your best bet; Wall of Force and Prismatic Wall/Sphere are good for this. To get past them, he will most likely have to turn off his AMF (the Shadow Hand teleports require both line of sight and line of effect. Your walls prevent Line of Effect, and the Prismatics will block sight as well) or suck up the saves and just crash through the Prismatic. If he doesn't come after you, you'll have all the time you need to become invisible/incorporeal/ghostformed/whatever, teleport to the far side of the arena, and pick your favored AMF-compatible method of gunning him down.

Good points. I'll see what I can do about initiative, although I suspect he's doing the same.

And Malachei - thanks! I'd forgotten about Invoke Magic. It'd hurt to have to swap it into my spells. I'm assuming that a scroll of Invoke Magic would work in an AMF?

Malachei
2011-11-22, 04:56 PM
I'm assuming that a scroll of Invoke Magic would work in an AMF?

Invoke magic is a swift action to cast and lasts one round. You can cast a single spell of SL < 5th. Enough to get out if your foe has somehow managed to catch you in his AMF.

Flickerdart
2011-11-22, 05:04 PM
Good points. I'll see what I can do about initiative, although I suspect he's doing the same.
Contingent Greater Celerity, Foresight, Dire Tortoise form. There's no way you can lose initiative to a non-caster if you know there'll be a fight.

Anthrowhale
2011-11-22, 11:25 PM
Another potential way to disable AM fields is Incantatrix + Metamagic Effect + Sculpt Spell.

But, Favored Souls can take Initiate of Mystra directly. Doing that, your spells should work in the AM field with high probability.

Wings of Peace
2011-11-22, 11:42 PM
Use Favored Soul to take the Initiate of Mystra feat. It's the best option.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-23, 12:04 AM
Telekinesis+ colossal objects. Simply throw them at the enemy while flying overhead.

Geigan
2011-11-23, 12:04 AM
Another potential way to disable AM fields is Incantatrix + Metamagic Effect + Sculpt Spell.

But, Favored Souls can take Initiate of Mystra directly. Doing that, your spells should work in the AM field with high probability.

Use Favored Soul to take the Initiate of Mystra feat. It's the best option.

Initiate of Mystra requires cleric level 3rd as a prerequisite. Is there a way for favored souls to qualify as clerics for feats and such that I'm unaware of?:smallconfused:

Anthrowhale
2011-11-23, 08:09 AM
Initiate of Mystra requires cleric level 3rd as a prerequisite. Is there a way for favored souls to qualify as clerics for feats and such that I'm unaware of?:smallconfused:

Dragon Magic page 15 says that any class which:

uses the cleric spell list for spellcasting
and must select a deity

can qualify for an initiate feat. The text specifically points out favored soul as valid.

ILM
2011-11-23, 08:49 AM
Wouldn't a level of Warblade and one item of Iron Heart keyed to the IHS maneuver give you a one-time 'NO' button for the AMF?

tyckspoon
2011-11-23, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't a level of Warblade and one item of Iron Heart keyed to the IHS maneuver give you a one-time 'NO' button for the AMF?

->Item
-> AMF

Your plan, it has a flaw.

Toliudar
2011-11-23, 11:40 AM
Okay, folks - thanks so much! I think I've got a few really solid tactics to work with.

ILM
2011-11-23, 11:43 AM
->Item
-> AMF

*facepalm*

I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Cieyrin
2011-11-23, 12:03 PM

And Malachei - thanks! I'd forgotten about Invoke Magic. It'd hurt to have to swap it into my spells. I'm assuming that a scroll of Invoke Magic would work in an AMF?

Metamagic Rod of Extend so you could double the 'laugh off AMF' time may be worthwhile to consider having Invoke Magic on your list.

docnessuno
2011-11-23, 12:14 PM
Metamagic Rod of Extend so you could double the 'laugh off AMF' time may be worthwhile to consider having Invoke Magic on your list.

->Item
-> AMF

10 characters.

Tar Palantir
2011-11-23, 03:25 PM
A one level Warblade dip to grab Iron Heart Surge is a fantastic choice. Taken as you last level on one side, you'll have an initiator level of 10, and access to 5th level maneuvers; IHS is only 3rd level. Grab a smattering of other maneuvers to taste and go crazy. After all, it's not like there's much difference between a sorc 19 and a sorc 20.

Endarire
2011-11-23, 08:33 PM
Anti-Antimagic (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10104.0).

Rubik
2011-11-24, 12:37 AM
->Item
-> AMF

Your plan, it has a flaw.The item is a vest.

Stick your hand in the field.

You (or at least your hand) is affected by the AMF.

Your vest, however, is not.

IHS it away with a vengeance.

Myth
2011-11-24, 06:27 AM
Celerity
(Rod Maximized) Timestop
Round 1: (Rod Extended) Sapechange
Shapechange into a Solar (free action)
Round 2: Cast Gate and call in the meanest 40 HD thing you can find in the multiverse.

Optional: Cast Miracle, Wish or Limited Wish to replicate Favored of the Martyr to not suffer the Dazed effect from Celerity. Cast other spells at your leisure. Wall of Stone, Forcecage, Wall of Force...

You can also turn etheral or incorporeal vie various spells while still in Solar form and go underground where he cannot get you. Next turn, while he is battling a 40 HD beastie (some sort of Epic Dragon would work well) you jump out from under him, cast a quickened Irresistable Dance, shapechange into something with greater reach and touch him. Casting Unluck and trying to SoD him would also work but it's more hit-and-miss.

Having Initiate of Mystra will work fine. You can also spam Disjunction. There is a monster (Clockwerk Horror IRC) that can use it at will.

If all else fails, there's a lot more where that came from. Spells, spells, spells...