PDA

View Full Version : Non-Wildshape Druid variant?

Callista
2011-11-22, 04:59 PM
So is there a Druid variant that doesn't have Wildshape? I want to focus on spellcasting and survival-type stuff...

Lateral
2011-11-22, 05:04 PM
Shapeshift variant (PHBII) or Aspect of Nature variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) might qualify, depending on exactly what you're looking for.

This Druid variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) completely loses wildshape. It also sucks big time, but since Druids are already way too powerful anyway, take it if it fits.

legomaster00156
2011-11-22, 05:09 PM
Actually, I can see Fast Movement coming in handy if you're trying to escape melee.

Lateral
2011-11-22, 05:13 PM
Actually, I can see Fast Movement coming in handy if you're trying to escape melee.

I didn't say it was useless. I just said it sucked.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-22, 06:56 PM
Here's what I call the Force of Nature druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604). It puts together a couple variants.

Callista
2011-11-22, 10:08 PM
This Druid variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) completely loses wildshape. It also sucks big time, but since Druids are already way too powerful anyway, take it if it fits.Yes, that's one of the problems I'm trying to solve. I want to fit a Druid into a party where the most powerful character will probably be a sorcerer, and most other characters around the level of a Rogue.

I'm considering going Ranger instead of Druid... same flavor, different power level...

Unfortunately this needs to be something I can do with the official 3.5 books.

The big things I want to be able to have are some kind of magic, some kind of connection to nature, and no weird races from some random splatbook. The rest is flexible.

Maybe multiclassing...

Are there PrCs that advance your spellcasting but not your Wildshape?

The Glyphstone
2011-11-22, 10:09 PM
Howabout Spirit Shaman? It's basically a spontaneous druid without animal companion or wild shaping, a mid-Tier 2 on par with the Sorcerer.

HunterOfJello
2011-11-22, 10:15 PM
if you don't really care too much about wildshape or your animal companion, then there are tons of druid PrCs out there at are normally ignored and rejected because the core druid's abilities are deemed superior

Fax Celestis
2011-11-22, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately this needs to be something I can do with the official 3.5 books.Both Lateral's link and mine utilize only official 3.5 material.

Are there PrCs that advance your spellcasting but not your Wildshape?Sure. Holt Warden, from Complete Champion, is a good fit.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-22, 11:55 PM
Are there PrCs that advance your spellcasting but not your Wildshape?

Any PrC that advances casting without specifying Arcane or Divine would probably work.

sonofzeal
2011-11-23, 07:39 AM
There's no reason to dump Wildshape entirely, just don't use it much, or use it to back up your spellcasting/survival. Party needs food? Turn into some big predator and hunt for a bit. It's cold? Polar bear, and let them all curl against you for warmth.

Eldan
2011-11-23, 07:57 AM
Yeah. I have found that Wildshape is generally most interesting and less balance-destroying when used primarily out of combat.

Need to be smuggled into the palace? Turn into a cat. Need to spy on the bandit camp? Turn into an eagle. Party needs to escape fast? Turn into a horse, let someone ride you. Need to transport goods? Turn into an elephant.

And so on.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-23, 10:51 AM
Need to scare the crap out of someone? Tyrannosaurus.

Slipperychicken
2011-11-23, 11:16 AM
Need to scare KILL the crap out of someone? Tyrannosaurus BEAR.

Fixed that for ya.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-23, 11:21 AM
A black bear is CR 3. A Tyrannosaurus is CR 8.

A bear is both less lethal and less scary than a T-Rex.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-23, 11:36 AM
A black bear is CR 3. A Tyrannosaurus is CR 8.

A bear is both less lethal and less scary than a T-Rex.

A Dire Bear is still a bear at CR7. It'll take 4.09 rounds, on average, to kill a T-Rex. The T-Rex need 4.46 rounds to kill the Dire Bear, or 4.2 rounds of digestive juices from Swallow Whole. T-Rex eats bear, then bear claws its way out from the inside for Massive Damage.

You can also shapeshift into a Dire Bear 6 levels earlier than a Tyrannosaurus.

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 11:39 AM
Here's what I call the Force of Nature druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604). It puts together a couple variants.

You, my good sir, deserve a million internets for that Combo-Variant. However, I have none. So you get a pat on the back with a "Well Done" to boost your self-esteem.

hex0
2011-11-23, 12:27 PM
You, my good sir, deserve a million internets for that Combo-Variant. However, I have none. So you get a pat on the back with a "Well Done" to boost your self-esteem.

You could even use that variant and become a Swift-Hunter from it with some more bending.

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 12:37 PM
You could even use that variant and become a Swift-Hunter from it with some more bending.

Question: Could the "Force of Nature" druid be a suitable representation of the "Geomancer" from Warcraft?

docnessuno
2011-11-23, 02:55 PM
If you want to focus on spellcasting, wild shape is still a very valuable resource.
Just, instead of chosing "battle" forms, chose defensive one (Mobility, AC, high dex for initiative and ranged touch attacks, enhanced senses). My summoner druid used to move around as a dire bat (dex 20, flight, bindsight), untill he reached level 12 and picked up dragon wild shape. I now fly around as a faerie dragon (good dex/ac, fly 100" with perfect manoeuvrability and a frigging euphoria gas breath weapon). I'm currently trying to get access to a shadow dragon form for constant concealment and kickass AC as a backup.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-23, 03:39 PM
So is there a Druid variant that doesn't have Wildshape? I want to focus on spellcasting and survival-type stuff...

Well, you don't have to lose wildshape to be good at those. You'll be good regardless. You could check Unearthed Arcana though. They have tons of this type of stuff.

Paul H
2011-11-23, 09:51 PM
Hi

Since I can't see any statement of 3.5 only, in PF Druids have the option of having either an Animal Commpanion, or a spell Domain much like Clerics.

Domains:
Air, Animal, Earth,Fire Plant, Water & Weather.

They gain the Domain power as well.

Thanks
Paul H

Palanan
2011-11-23, 10:15 PM
Depending on your character concept, there's a variant from Dragon magazine that might work, the Storm Druid (Dragon 328, p. 87). You lose wild shape and the animal companion, as well as the ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally. In its place you can spontaneously cast several wind- and lightning-themed spells, including call lightning. There are a few other minor benefits, including a sort of electrical smite attack, which follow a general atmo theme.

The downside is that the Storm Druid actively creeps out any animals around you, with a Frightful Presence effect; you can control this, but it sets you apart. Very different from your standard bugs'n'bunnies druid, maybe more of a harsh, one-with-the-elements type, but it does retain full druid spellcasting.

Leon
2011-11-24, 11:03 AM
There's no reason to dump Wildshape entirely, just don't use it much, or use it to back up your spellcasting/survival. Party needs food? Turn into some big predator and hunt for a bit. It's cold? Polar bear, and let them all curl against you for warmth.

Plenty of reason if it doesn't fit the idea you have and there is a better option found with using a variant that gives something better suited to what you would like. It can have some potential useful options but is far from being a needed class feature (particularly on a already very good full caster base)

I am a fan of the Hunter Variant mixed with the Avenger variant (for a added bonus take the Favored Enemy: Arcane Caster variant with the Hunter)

Shapeshift is a useful variant as well, focus on the caster form but the option to quickly shift into and out of a fixed form for utility or combat needs.