PDA

View Full Version : [Magical Burst] In the Abyss of Reverie

Pages : [1] 2

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-22, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the OOC thread! Ah, I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.
The IC thread is that way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12295261#post12295261).

Here, you are welcome to ask questions, roll, claim colors if they want, and just do OOC things.
I will kindly ask all new players to post their character profile and social links before joining the IC thread.

Click here for a complete, updated social chart. (http://i.imgur.com/juxOg.png)

Here's a list of preexisting PCs and NPCs you may use as social links, both player- and GM-made, in addition to NPCs you may come up with yourself:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12279990&postcount=13
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12281931&postcount=19
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12314021&postcount=41
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12281058&postcount=16
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12295620&postcount=31
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12733764&postcount=142
Check the characters's profile for more.

{table=head]Magical Girl|Real Name|Element|Oblivion Seeds|Status
Nightmare Hunter Amaya (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12262350&postcount=3)|Takenaka Amaya|Death|0|Alive
Golden Princess Nagisa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12262446&postcount=5)|Nagisa Akiko|Sun|1|Alive
Lunar Mai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12264859&postcount=6)|Huzhima Mai|Love|1|Alive [NPC]
Lyrical Star Ami (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12265289&postcount=7)|Hino Ami|Sound|1|Alive
Paradise Witch Munin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12281654&postcount=17)|Aoyama Mitsuki|Joy|0|Alive [NPC]
Absolute Magister Sadako (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12697636&postcount=127)|Uchida Sadako|Rectification|0|Ready for recruitment
Tsukaka (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12716573&postcount=136)|Matsubara Tsukaka|Chaos|0|Ready for recruitment
[/table]

TheNabster
2011-11-22, 06:04 PM
*Jumps into OOC Thread*

Squatters rights! *Sits down in the corner*

Lykan
2011-11-22, 06:09 PM
Takenaka Amaya, Nightmare Hunter Amaya
Mundane Attributes
= Aggro 6
= Cool 5
= Sharp 7
= Social 3

+++

Magical Attributes
= Fury 6
= Heart 3
= Magic 9

+++

Magical Element: Death
= Effect: Double Action
Magical Power: Walk through Walls
= Effect: Magic Shield
Magical Weapon: Nuenotsume (Clawed Gauntlets)
= Finishing Attack:
+ Shadow of Finis (Piercing Attack)
+ Konoe's Savior (Precise Attack)
Costume: Navy and gray school uniform highlighted by bits of jagged, black armor.

+++

Girl Type: Crafty Delinquent
Crisis: On a rare day that Amaya is forced to go to school, she awakens from a mid-lecture nap to find everyone in her class had been killed, gruesomely sliced apart by some unknown entity. She immediately books it.
Roots: Desire for a more interesting life.
Wish: None at the moment. Would have been to “live in a less boring world,” but the existence of magical girls and youma seem to be satisfying that. (if there absolutely has to be a wish I’ll think of something)

Background
Up until the night she became a magical girl, Amaya was a rather bitter and hateful person. At a young age, her father had died in a car accident, leaving her to grow up with an emotionally abusive and often inebriated mother. Although she had shown must promise at school she absolutely despised the place, believing it to be full of leeches and idiots. Because of this, the girl spent more time in abandoned buildings and alleyways than she did at school or her home, shoplifting food and other necessities when she needed them.

Despite her aversion of people, however, she would occasionally steal away to libraries and movie theaters. The various media served well as escapism, though in the end they only ended up reinforcing her overwhelming boredom and antipathy when she came back to reality. Still, no matter how much it hurt to face the real world afterwards, she would delve into these fantasies gleefully, dreaming of a life full of fantastical adventure and praying for something similar to happen to her.

This plea did not fall upon deaf ears. In fact, it fell upon the exact right ears; those of a tsukaima . When the creature offered her the chance to become a magical girl, she barely needed to give the decision any thought. Gain access to otherworldly power? Taking on demons who would destroy the world?

This was gonna be awesome.

===

Tokyo works. Quite a big place to work with, after all.

For the profiles, do you mean the stuff we already posted in the recruitment thread? If so, should we add anything?

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-22, 06:24 PM
Yeah, the stuff in the recruitment thread, and no, there isn't anything to add, the important part is putting all the information in a single post and editing it whenever it is important to do so (advances, etc).

AmberVael
2011-11-22, 06:30 PM
Nagisa Akiko, Golden Princess Nagisa

Sheet
Mundane Attributes
-Aggro 7
-Cool 3
-Sharp 5
-Social 6

Magical Attributes
-Fury 10
-Heart 6
-Magic 3

Magical Element: The Sun
-Effect: Magic Boost (Fury)
Magical Power: Flight
-Effect: Regeneration
Magical Weapon: Heaven's Hand (Gauntlet)
-Finishing Attack: Solar Radiance (Barrage Attack)
Costume: Golden Armor

Girl Type: Vengeful Younger Sister
Crisis: The death of Nagisa Yui, and her legacy.
Roots: The heir to her sister's place.
Wish: Either to revive her sister, or to take her place as a hero for the world.

Total XP Earned: 9
Advance 1: Fury 9 to 10
Background
Nagisa Yui, the Celestial Knight, A magical girl of grace and power, with the strength of the sun, moon, and stars. Unyielding and incorruptible, a figure to lead the way to a new age, a hero that could part the oncoming darkness, who could weather the fiercest storms and come out unscathed in body and mind.

At least, this is how Nagisa Akiko remembers her, even in her last moments, fighting courageously against the black void that sought to consume her, something dark and terrible that she could not make out, that Yui's light ultimately could not stand against. In a single moment, her sister and shining ideal were torn away, leaving a gaping hole in her heart that demanded to be filled.

This is how she became something that perhaps she was not meant to be. Akiko did not have Yui's potential, nor did she see in herself the qualities she so admired in her older sister- but she did have one thing, one catalyst that changed everything, opening a new way for her: a tattered piece of her sister's armor, the right hand gauntlet.

It's difficult to tell if Akiko really has her own potential and power, or has somehow simply inherited a portion of her sister's before her. Many of her aesthetics match those of her sister, and there are moments, brief hints and flickers that Akiko might not entirely be in control of her own power- but that someone is, someone who is still watching out for her.
Relationships
Aino (Fury)
Strain: [ ][ ][ ]

Part 1: Prologue
Aino doesn't know Akiko- or at least, not very well. She has, however, become quite aware of the Golden Princess. A flying knight in golden armor catches attention, after all.
While Aino is fascinated and torn apart with curiosity, Akiko is protective of her identity, a conflict which has slowly bred to a rivalry between them. Somewhat envious of Akiko's magic and skill, Aino persistently chases after her, while Akiko uses every trick she can think of to avoid Aino. Every encounter between them exponentially escalates the situations they get into in the course of their chase, and both refuse to be beaten, though so far, Akiko has been victorious.

Part 2: Clash
Aino was revealed as a magical girl under the tutelage of Tindalos! Tempers ran hot as the two clashed and tested their power against one another, but though Aino came out victorious, Akiko offered her friendship and camaraderie before the two parted ways.

Hana (Heart)
Strain: [●][ ][ ]

A lot of people have been offering comfort to Akiko since her sister went... missing. Largely, it's been fairly awkward and uncomfortable for her. Hana, however, has been much laid back about the situation, and for some reason, Akiko has found more comfort in that. It's not uncommon for the pair to skip school to find some other activity to occupy their time.

Kimura Haruna (Fury)
Strain: [●][●][ ]

Haruna is not Akiko's friend. Indeed, there can be a bit of friction between them.
But Haruna was the best friend of Yui, and that mutual loss has left something of a bond between them. It's not about them being alike, because they certainly aren't- Haruna is fairly classy and rules focused, and Akiko is increasingly less so. But even if it can get a bit heated, they encourage each other to go on, and to keep growing for Yui's sake if nothing else.
Having learned of her sister's place in the world, Akiko now wonders whether Haruna might have formed a contract with a tsukaima as well... but she has no answer, nor does she know a way to bring it up.

Amaya (Fury)

Ami (Magic)

Zazori
2011-11-23, 04:31 AM
Mai Huzhima

Family name: Huzhima
Given name: Mai
Girl Type: Innocent Love-fool
Magical Girl Roots: I can fight for love and justice!
Wish: I wish for that my best friend would get better
(If her best friend dies before she can wish her better, she will wish that no one ever can be sick)
Crisis: Her best girl friend got sick, very very sick, with no reason.

Magical Girl Name: Lunar (Rolled for)
Magical Girl Costume: A dress in rainbow colors, with hearts on it and butterflies flying around her. (Rolled, Rainbow, Heart, Butterflies.)
(If the butterfly thingy is not allowed they will just be on the dress.)

Magical Weapon: Magic staff, where the top is a Heart, it also has silver decorations on it. (Rolled for what weapon, placed the decorations myself)
Magical Element: Love (Rolled for)
Magical Power: Healer
I rolled 3 times for this;
First I got: Healer
Second I got: Animal Form
Third I got: Red Thread

Magical Effects: Magic Shield (Element), Magic Boost(Power)
Finishing Attack: Piercing Heart.
(Piercing Attack)
(Attribute: Heart)

Magic: 6
Heart: 9
Fury: 3

Aggro: 3
Cool: 5
Social: 7
Sharp: 6

----

Tokyo sounds great (:

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-23, 08:06 AM
Hino Ami

Family name: Hino
Given name: Ami
Girl Type: Left-out Tomboy
Magical Girl Roots: Maybe the other magical girls can be my friends. I don't have any friends right now
Wish: I wish to have my voice.
Crisis: Her best friend and 'interpreter' tried to commit suicide and has moved away. Since she tends to rationalize her disability in unhealthy ways, she blames herself for not being able to communicate with him properly.

Also, she is lonely. Very, very lonely.

Magical Girl Name: Lyrical Star
Magical Girl Costume: Silver Gothic Lolita, with a clasp for the Viola case and bow attatched to the side and a long white scarf.

Magical Weapon: Viola and bow. The bow is razor-sharp, and playing the viola is a magical attack.
Magical Element: Sound
Magical Power: Empathy

Magical Effects: Magic Strike (Element), Healing Touch(Power)
Finishing Attack: Dreadful Symphony.
(Delibating Attack)
(Attribute: Magic)

Magic: 9
Heart: 5
Fury: 4

Aggro: 5
Cool: 7
Social: 3
Sharp: 6

Background:

Ami was born mute to overworked, glamourous jet-setting parents, and like the worst stereotype they did not want to care for a child that was not 'perfect', so they left her with an Aunt and an Uncle, two police officers in [CITY] and left her there, coming over to see her only once every summer and winter. This was possibly for the best, as said Aunt and Uncle proved to be much better parents than her birth ones would likely have been, if equally overworked, but glad of the company and also for their debts to be paid off my Ami's parents.

Ami was a quiet child in more ways than the obvious, but she did have a firm friend in the young boy of the family next door, a Takimine Junpei, who was the boy who learned sign language and acted as her interpreter for her life, right up until the recent day where he, for reasons unknown to her or anybody, tried to commit suicide. His family moved out of the city and left Ami alone and unbalanced, just in the right time for a Tsukanima to come up and make it's offer.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Ami is studious and hardworking (traits taken from her foster parents) but rather socially nervous if observant, and at first seems to have an icy personality. She's not very good at keeping that last part up, though, because she will latch on to people who seem to make a dedicated effort to communicate with her rather too easily. She is also something of a tomboy, physical activity being something of an outlet for the frustration she regularly feels.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-24, 12:11 PM
Once Gaius posts the 5th profile here, we'll run the 3 "rounds" of social link making. It's not really problematic if we're not done with that by the time the roleplay starts because there won't be any fight or real reason to use magic right away, but let's not delay it too much...

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-24, 12:25 PM
Since Ami's aunt and uncle are currently nameless NPCs, I shall name them Akane Hamaguchi and Hachiro Hamaguchi respectively. Although I think I got the family name and personal name the wrong way around.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-24, 01:10 PM
IIRC, by Japanese convention, last name goes first, and the given name second.

Lykan
2011-11-24, 03:54 PM
A bit of a random question concerning attributes in relationships: What exactly would a Magic relationship be? I know it says in the book about it being "common involvement in the world of the magical," but does that leave anything outside of other magical girls?

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-24, 04:34 PM
On top of my head, this could also be:
- people who know you are a Magical Girl
- people who saw you perform magic or were affected by it
- people you saved from a youma and who remember it
... and maybe more that I'll check on a case-by-case basus. As a rule of thumb, if magic is involved somehow or was the event that brought you closer together, then it's a Magic relationship.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-26, 01:33 PM
Social link time!
To answer previous questions: no, you don't have to select any of the pre-made NPCs if you don't feel like it. Yes, you can - and ideally should - use NPCs you came up with, such as your uncle, or aunt, or brother, etc...
Now, here's an NPC list. You're free to have them as acquaintances or family members.

Yuri
Freelance photograph. Starts taking spontaneous pictures for the art, but catches more and more strange events on film. A girl who is sometimes unintentionally intimidating because of her gothic tendencies, but actually is quite friendly.

Ren
Schoolboy who joined the music club originally to flirt with girls, but turned out to really enjoy playing the flute. Very confident in his reputation as a manly dude. Enjoys new experiences.

Hana
Schoolgirl with no particular interest in the supernatural events or school, or even the rules generally speaking. Goes out a lot. A pragmatic girl who only really worries about the karaoke club, and looking rebelliously cool.

Rei
Has become a loner since she lost her mother but highly values her close friends. Always listens carefully to what people have to tell her. Rapidly loses her patience to injustice.

Aino
Competitive but is a good sport, and easily guilt-tripped. Tries and act tougher than she really is, with mitigated success. She has a hard time finding a balance between forgetting about her classmates, and being overly generous toward them.

Lykan
2011-11-26, 04:30 PM
Another silly question: Who goes first here? Does it matter? >.>;

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-26, 04:32 PM
I don't believe an order is really necessary, I trust you with that part of the character creation process. :smallwink:

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-26, 05:25 PM
Starting off Ami's relationship with her Aunt and Uncle:

Hamaguchi Akane and Hamaguchi Hachiro (Heart): Ami's family and foster parents. She loves and respects them very much, although she constantly measures them up to imagined versions of her birth parents. For their part, they do the able best they can, but they are both very overworked and not sure how to deal with this turbulent time.

Gaius
2011-11-26, 07:16 PM
Arrrrgh... -_- Very sorry for the disappearing act, everybody. Things continued to come up, and kept me from internet access for a crazy long time. I don't see it happening again any time soon, but I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Mitsuki Aoyama, Paradise Witch Munin
Family name: Aoyama
Given name: Mitsuki (Mitsu)
Girl Type: Big Sister
Magical Girl Roots: "Using magic and that kind of power... It's selfish, but it's always been a dream."
Wish: "I wish to empower all people to define their own happy endings."
Crisis: "I remember the end of the world, as clear as if it had just happened to me a moment ago. I have to try to stop it."

Magical Girl Name: Paradise Witch Munin
Magical Girl Costume: An indigo evening gown covered with flowing and intersecting lines of gold-stitched runes;* gemstone pendant emblazoned with an omega symbol.
* the pattern, type, and order of these runes shift at 'significant events' (meet someone important, an important decision, enter/survive a battle, etc.); she believes they tell the stories of her evolving destinies at a given moment. The omega symbols stand out clearly and always end a line.

Magical Element: Joy
- Magical Effect: Healing Touch
Magical Power: Weave of Fate
- Magical Effect: Regeneration
Magical Weapon: Raven (known as Hugin; appears to have been mechanically enhanced: among other things, wings, talons, beak, and part of the torso look sleekly technological, run through with softly glowing runes)
Finishing Attack: Euphoric Destiny (Binding Attack)
The target is assaulted by an overwhelming feeling of ecstasy and spellbinding visions of desirable futures. Unless shrugged off, focusing on the now becomes very difficult indeed.

Attributes
Magic: 9
Heart: 6
Fury: 3

Aggro: 3
Cool: 7
Social: 6
Sharp: 5

Background:
The Aoyama household was rather well off, at one point. Mitsuki was the oldest of the three children, and her mother and father enjoyed their work, comfortably high in managing a successful firm. They were a very happy family, altogether.

Almost two years ago, this changed. Mitsuki never learned the details -- and thought it rude to ask -- but a scandal rocked the company. In only a week's time, the entire firm collapsed. The family was subjected to a very public trial for months. Mercifully, the evidence was found to be falsified and the Aoyama parents were released, but the damage to their reputations was considerable.

Calling on all contacts available, they managed to find new jobs through an old friend of the family. Unfortunately, these jobs were in America. And involved working many hours. And were not especially lucrative. They simply couldn't afford to work those hours and look after the kids. They spoke with Mitsuki's aunt -- a relatively recent widow -- who agreed to look after her little niece and nephew.

Her parents were broken up about the necessity, but Mitsuki helped calm them down. She was alright with the situation, she claimed, and assured them she and her younger sibling would be just fine. It wouldn't be forever, after all. This reassured her parents, and everyone else to whom she repeated it. Perhaps she even believes it, now. Though her little brother thought he dreamed she was crying, the night their parents left.

It's not ideal, by any means, but the divided family is managing. Everyone seems to have adjusted. Mitsuki's always happy to talk to her parents -- and see them, on rare visits -- but seems not to think overly about her situation. It seems like she's just settled into a routine. And then along came a tsukaima...

And, for convenience...

Relationships
Aoyama Yori (9) (Heart)
- Mitsuki's younger brother.
The little squirt's pretty adorable, according to most, and very bright. He used to be incredibly loud and exuberant, but he became very quiet and withdrawn when the new circumstances began. Everyone was worried, but Yori's started to open up and become more of his old outgoing self, since their parents' visit. Of course, this also means Mitsuki's 'keep little brother out of trouble' duties have increased -- to her exasperation, sometimes -- but she's relieved he's feeling better. He's developed a fascination with the supernatural, particularly gods, spirits, and creatures of myth and folklore. He seems eager to investigate any sign of magic he can. Mitsuki's unsure if he'll figure out her little secret -- or how he'll react if he does -- but is considering telling him about it.

Aoyama Kenichi (38), Aoyama Hina (39), Tsukima Kaede (55) (Heart)
- Mitsuki's father, mother, and aunt respectively.
The Aoyama parents are only able to call every so often, and are usually exhausted when they can. It's a far cry from all the doting they used to do, but daughter and parents give each other the love and support they all need. The parents' visit last year showed they're still just as much a family as ever.
Though it took some time, Mitsuki warmed up to her aunt, and cares for her almost as much as her parents. Kaede, for her part, was glad not to be alone in the house, after her husband's passing. She can be a little stiff and old-fashioned, but almost views Mitsuki and Yori as the children she never had.

AmberVael
2011-11-26, 07:55 PM
Tell you what, when we finish making relationships, I'll actually turn it into a map like the rulebook suggests. Won't take but a few minutes in inkscape to make something that looks nice.

As for relationships, I'm honestly at a bit of a loss for Akiko. The real relationship that defines her is the one she had with her sister, but she's a little... dead.
But because of that, I don't really want to emphasize her family.

I think what may be best is for her to be focusing on the magical girl side of her life, as she's throwing herself into that.

Any suggestions?

Lykan
2011-11-26, 08:22 PM
Fujioka Nori (Heart)
A quiet girl from another school that shares Amaya's love of literature. They often spend time together waxing philosophical about the meaning of life, the direction of humanity, and pastries, as well as occasionally catching movies together. At the base of the relationship, Amaya likes the intellectual stimulation and companionship Nori provides*, while Nori is amused by Amaya's rather snarky and cheeky demeanor.

*(in addition to something of a minor crush, though it's nothing she'd admit to)

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-27, 06:25 AM
@Vael: I can do the map myself if you want, I've got the resources needed on my computer to draw it. Makes more sense for me to do it.
As for Akiko? It would make sense for some classmates or teachers to be concerned and help her with the grieving process, having lost her sister suddenly and all. It counts if they're the ones initiating the relation, as long as Akiko doesn't alienate them.

@Gaius: glad to see you could make it!

Zazori
2011-11-27, 10:41 AM
Huzhima Kiara (Heart)
Kiara is Mai's older sister, she is taking care of Mai as their parents often goes on business trips and when they are home, they are mostly in the office.
Mai likes when her sister is around and they often go out and eat together, and shop together.

AmberVael
2011-11-27, 11:17 AM
Hana (Heart)

A lot of people have been offering comfort to Akiko since her sister went... missing. Largely, it's been fairly awkward and uncomfortable for her. Hana, however, has been much laid back about the situation, and for some reason, Akiko has found more comfort in that. It's not uncommon for the pair to skip school to find some other activity to occupy their time.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-27, 01:33 PM
My turn: adding a link between Ami and Aino (Fury).
Whether Ami wants it or not, since they found out they lived in the same street, there is a sort of unspoken (no pun intended) rivalry between the two schoolgirls. Sometimes, Aino encourages her to outdo herself to make the competition worthwile. It may be a little embarrassing, but she seems reliable in her own, weird way, should the need arise.

If you're not okay with my links, again, just tell me.

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-27, 02:02 PM
All good to me! I'd imagine Anino has picked up a little bit of sign language, especially the swearwords/insults. Those ones are easy to understand and have quite the visual impact.

AmberVael
2011-11-27, 09:01 PM
Sooooo should we each post more now?

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-28, 03:18 AM
Yuri (Magic): Yuri was rescued from some Yoma by Ami one night when she was out looking for some 'strange stuff', and the girl left quite an impression, so now Yuri is out looking for this new scoop. Due to Ami's actions, Yuri tends to act as if she were the strong, silent, dramatic type, and Ami is too embarassed to correct her, which can lead to some rather odd and out-of-character behaviour around the photographer.

Lykan
2011-11-28, 03:43 AM
Hamaguchi Akane and Hamaguchi Hachiro (Fury)
???
Two police officers Amaya has a habit of running into due to her particularly unlawful lifestyle. Despite the fact that they antagonize her on a fairly regular basis, Amaya appreciates their attempts to get her to reform and views them as the only two real positive role models in her life.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-29, 10:58 AM
Good news all around!
For starters, the IC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12295261#post12295261).
Secondly, have a temporary relation chart (http://i.imgur.com/bXn9x.gif); Heart relations are in red, Fury in yellow, and Magic in blue.
Lastly, I made a character table in the first post for easy browsing.
So, you're welcome to reply to the introductory post. The social links will need to be finished for everyone however before anything can really happen ICly.
Enjoy!

AmberVael
2011-11-29, 11:32 AM
Hmm. How long will our characters have been magical girls? Would it be feasible to know one or more of our group already from that?

Edit: Ah, just read the IC thread. A week huh? Probably not. Hmmm.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-29, 11:56 AM
You all have been contacted by Octar during the previous week. It is feasible for several of you to know each other as Magical Girls already, if you are the kind to bond with people quickly.
At best, you have minimal experience (as shown by Ami's link with Yuri: enough to survive and help a human or two, but not defeat a youma and get their Seed), but no Oblivion Seed, and, most importantly, no real information beyond "you agreed to become a Magical Girl; there are monsters called youma you couldn't see before and it is your duty to protect people from them; youma drop Oblivion Seeds, bring 13 of them to me and I can grant you a wish; see you behind Zojoji Temple on that specific day at that specific time; I must go now; by the way, take that pendant, it's important, don't lose it". If you practiced your powers, you have an idea of what they do. I'll assume you didn't have time to abuse your powers enough to get Overcharge, of course.
Social links between your PCs are of course allowed, and if you want them to be Magic links, it can be assumed they are being formed right now in IC, by virtue of having been recruited by the same tsukaima and learning more about your new nature.

Hope the above cleared up everything.

AmberVael
2011-11-29, 12:19 PM
Kimura Haruna (Fury)
Haruna is not Akiko's friend. Indeed, there can be a bit of friction between them.
But Haruna was the best friend of Yui, and that mutual loss has left something of a bond between them. It's not about them being alike, because they certainly aren't- Haruna is fairly classy and rules focused, and Akiko is increasingly less so. But even if it can get a bit heated, they encourage each other to go on, and to keep growing for Yui's sake if nothing else.
Having learned of her sister's place in the world, Akiko now wonders whether Haruna might have formed a contract with a tsukaima as well... but she has no answer, nor does she know a way to bring it up.

Gaius
2011-11-29, 01:12 PM
Aoyama Kenichi (38), Aoyama Hina (39), Tsukima Kaede (55) (Heart)
- Mitsuki's father, mother, and aunt respectively.
The Aoyama parents are only able to call every so often, and are usually exhausted when they can. It's a far cry from all the doting they used to do, but daughter and parents give each other the love and support they all need. The parents' visit last year showed they're still just as much a family as ever.
Though it took some time, Mitsuki warmed up to her aunt, and cares for her almost as much as her parents. Kaede, for her part, was glad not to be alone in the house, after her husband's passing. She can be a little stiff and old-fashioned, but almost views Mitsuki and Yori as the children she never had.

Ooh, completely forgot to fill out Yori... ^_^o Gonna get to that soonish.

Thanks for making the table, chart, and post, Musashi. The symbols were a nice touch. :smalltongue: I liked the little raven.

@Vael: It may not be so improbable for at least one of the girls to know another. If Octar was trying to get a group together quickly, he probably didn't go far between girls (never mind the turtle-bodied aspect*), so they might live around or frequent the same area. Octar might have even gone for a twofer with two girls who already knew one another.

*Assuming the little guy didn't use magic and moves as fast as a normal member of the species.

On which note, I'd be open to making a Relationship with a fellow Magical Girl, whether pre-existing or forming in the scene. If anyone's interested, just pipe up and we can sort out the context. :smallsmile:
Hm, though I guess a Fury or Magic relationship would be preferred; I've already got two Hearts.

AmberVael
2011-11-29, 01:27 PM
My question was specifically about relationships between magical girls due to being magical girls- knowing another beforehand wasn't what I had in mind, though I did consider the possibility, and attempted to exclude it by phrasing.

My reasoning is that I want to display Akiko throwing herself into that life, and so her relationships should either focus around that or her sister, or both.

Due to that, however, it might not be so improbable to have her form a relationship quickly, though she might be a little creepily intense about it. I'd be willing to make a Fury or Magic relationship with Mitsuki, if you have any suggestions?

Just to give you a better idea on her personality (and thus what kind of relationship might form) I see Akiko as pretty fierce, driving, and intense. She's got a fair bit of martyrdom and anger, with a counterweight of idolizing her sister, who was a lot wiser and more noble.

DeafnotDumb
2011-11-30, 05:33 AM
I'll post IC later, but I'm just going to use this space to point out that Ami's sign language will be in underlined italics, while her empathy communications will be in Bold Blue.

Gaius
2011-11-30, 08:10 PM
My question was specifically about relationships between magical girls due to being magical girls- knowing another beforehand wasn't what I had in mind, though I did consider the possibility, and attempted to exclude it by phrasing.Aye, and you did come off that way. Unable to come up with any such situation, I made the suggestion on the off-chance I was mistaken.

Due to that, however, it might not be so improbable to have her form a relationship quickly, though she might be a little creepily intense about it. I'd be willing to make a Fury or Magic relationship with Mitsuki, if you have any suggestions?Hm... For Fury, I'm not quite happy with the idea I came up with, but I might as well throw it out, anyway.
Mitsuki's outwardly chipper, if more subdued than Akiko. She might, however, sometimes go out of her way to cheer others up. Over one instance or several, she might have tried to make friends and gotten more overbearing than Akiko was comfortable with or willing to allow -- especially if Mitsuki mentioned being a big sister, as though it gave her some insight. Harsh words were exchanged, and things spiraled toward Fury. Still, there would hopefully be more nuance. Maybe some recognition from both that the other girl might have a point or something, so that it's not exactly seething hate. Or maybe their approaches just rub each other the wrong way.

As for a Magical relationship... I'm kinda spinning my wheels here, but the girls' respective symbols made me think of a Native American origin story. Specifically the one in which Raven steals the sun, the moon, and the stars and puts them in the sky. ... ^_^o Yeah, my thoughts basically amount to, 'this is a potentially interesting allusion.' The question of how to work it in remains -- assuming you like it as a starting point, of course. I hadn't gotten to anything more complicated than 'they had a shared dream,' I'm afraid.
... Although, if Akiko's sister knew/worked with another magical girl who had something of a raven theme... The significance -- or coincidence -- of that might catch the girls' attention.

In either case, did you have any thoughts?

AmberVael
2011-12-02, 09:04 AM
Fury relationships aren't meant to be hateful relationshisp, at least if you go by the book. It's usually for a friendly rivalry, competition, or battlefield camaraderie- so I don't think that idea would work.

As for the magic one, I do like mythology, but I'm honestly having a hard time picturing how that would play into a relationship between the two.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-02, 10:30 AM
Yeah, here is a better example of what could be a Fury relationship: http://www.harkavagrant.com/
(Leaving aside the fact they want to personally kill each other... maybe.)
If you hate someone and wouldn't miss them/would get over it fast if they were gone, then it's not Fury.

The others may want to submit their last social links, too!

Zazori
2011-12-02, 03:29 PM
I'd like to have one or two more relationships for Mai, but I can't actually come up with anything good, there is of course her ill friend.

Takanawa Nyuh Heart

Nyuh is Mai's best friend and they always loved to hang out, but Nyuh somehow got sick, and no one knows how or why.
When Mai became a magical girl she tried to heal Nyuh, but it didn't work, Nyuh don't know this of course.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-02, 04:18 PM
Do you want me to help you come up with NPCs? The classic thing to do is making a classmate, a teacher or a club at school (music, sports, acting, etc...).
NPCs aren't supposed to be as fleshed-out as your PCs. It's okay if they aren't very original or deep! What's important is not that they're interesting, but that they keep your characters close to humanity one way or another.

Zazori
2011-12-02, 05:16 PM
Do you want me to help you come up with NPCs? The classic thing to do is making a classmate, a teacher or a club at school (music, sports, acting, etc...).
NPCs aren't supposed to be as fleshed-out as your PCs. It's okay if they aren't very original or deep! What's important is not that they're interesting, but that they keep your characters close to humanity one way or another.

I'd like you to make me one d:

Maybe a pair of twins, Lol :D

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-02, 05:34 PM
Alright, I'll make a bunch more NPCs for you and others if they happen to be stumped as well. :smallwink:

EDIT: BAM.

Sora
A little girl who is very eager to be all grown-up in order to be taken seriously. However still enjoys a lot “childish” games. Walks her dog, Hazel, all by herself, plays with him, and talks about him endlessly.

Hiroshi
University student working part-time at the local popular fast food place, although it would be more accurate to say he's paid to clean up his own mess for he is legendary clumsy. Complains a lot but ultimately well-meaning.

Akane and Youta
Even though they're fraternal twins of opposite genders, they never leave each other's side. Together, they pretend they're psychic to the gullible or easily amused, and crave positive attention.

Mr. Sato
Geography teacher who spent his youth travelling around the world and always digress into personal anecdotes during lectures. His dream is to make his students marvel at the wonders of nature and modern civilization... with little success.

Again, they can be acquaintances, or family members, or have seen things that they weren't supposed to see.

Lykan
2011-12-03, 10:26 PM
[???] Sora (Magic)
Amaya met Sora a little under a week ago, rescuing her from the clutches of a particularly knifey-looking youma. Despite dealing with a rather traumatic experience, the child has kept a cheery demeanor, a fact that endeared her to the newly formed magical girl. Since their first meeting, Amaya's run into Sora a couple of times as she's walked her dog, primarily to check if she's holding up okay.

And also to play with the dog. Because it's very cute.

Zazori
2011-12-04, 02:36 AM
Akane and Youta [Magic]

Back when Mai just was transformed into a Magical Girl, she kept training, mostly at home, but she also did it at school, once she was in an empty classroom, she practiced her powers when sudden Akane and Youta walked in and saw her, Mai managed to convince them not to tell anyone about it and so they promised.
Mai is seeing Akane and Youta a lot more now, and they have become much better friends.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-05, 12:58 PM
Ren (Heart)
Ami was not orignally pleased with Ren's attempts to flirt with her, quite on top of all his other irritating traits, including his 'manliness' and obsession with girls. However, despite an antagonistic start to their relationship, Ami and Ren are rather good friends now, partly due to his cheerful method of sharing music and his slow ability to pick up sign language, and Ami's ability to be more one of the boys than one of the girls, so to speak. He still hasn't stopped flirting with her, but at least he's (probably) stopped doing it seriously.

AmberVael
2011-12-05, 05:35 PM
Aino (Fury)

Aino doesn't know Akiko- or at least, not very well. She has, however, become quite aware of the Golden Princess. A flying knight in golden armor catches attention, after all.

While Aino is fascinated and torn apart with curiosity, Akiko is protective of her identity, a conflict which has slowly bred to a rivalry between them. Somewhat envious of Akiko's magic and skill, Aino persistently chases after her, while Akiko uses every trick she can think of to avoid Aino. Every encounter between them exponentially escalates the situations they get into in the course of their chase, and both refuse to be beaten, though so far, Akiko has been victorious.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-06, 12:22 PM
Version 0.9 of the social chart! (http://i.imgur.com/OycBq.png)
My previous dumping of NPCs counts as my action during turn 2. All that's left is Mitsuki's 3rd social link, and my last contribution.

Gaius
2011-12-06, 01:38 PM
Fury relationships aren't meant to be hateful relationshisp, at least if you go by the book. It's usually for a friendly rivalry, competition, or battlefield camaraderie- so I don't think that idea would work.

As for the magic one, I do like mythology, but I'm honestly having a hard time picturing how that would play into a relationship between the two.

Yeah, here is a better example of what could be a Fury relationship: http://www.harkavagrant.com/
(Leaving aside the fact they want to personally kill each other... maybe.)
If you hate someone and wouldn't miss them/would get over it fast if they were gone, then it's not Fury.

The others may want to submit their last social links, too!Gah, sorry for missing those. Not sure how I didn't see them... -_-

Anyway, it seems to no longer matter, but I kind of expressed my idea for the Fury relationship poorly. Thanks for calling that out. I'd meant for it to start a little antagonistic, and then cool into something no longer hostile. They sort of fall into Red Oni Blue Oni territory: each may grow frustrated with the other's approach, but appreciate that it ultimately draws both toward something more balanced (Akiko more inclined to wait and plan before acting, and Mitsuki less prone to thinking of every conceivable issue in lieu of acting at all). Which I guess means the introduction I'd thought up could be done away with entirely. Ah well.

And yeah, I liked the Magic idea, but couldn't find any direction for it, either. So it goes.

Anyway, Mitsuki's last relationship:
Ren (14) [Magic]
Ren and Mitsuki were childhood friends, until his family moved. They kept in touch from time to time, but not often, and have been trying to reconnect since he got back in town. There was some awkwardness -- only natural, given two people who'd grown separately for so long -- but things reached new heights when he caught her transforming. After a promise and an explanation were exchanged, it wound up being fairly beneficial. She gained someone else she could talk to about the weirdness, he gained a look at a world he'd never guessed existed, and they both feel better about the friendship. As regard his interests, she tends to roll her eyes at the flirting, wish he'd knock off the manliness stuff, and is happy playing the flute is clearly not all they have in common.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-06, 08:56 PM
Ami does not know that Ren is 'in the know' about magical girls, and I think Ren does not know that she is one at the moment, which I just bet will lead to some amusing misunderstandings in the future.

Zazori
2011-12-07, 01:48 AM
I'm sorry everyone, but I have gotten a lot on my hands lately and I don't feel like I have the time to play games online, so I'm going to bow out, I'm sorry, but I don't want to drag the whole game into a waiting time because I don't have to time to post.

I'm truly sorry. :(

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-07, 05:11 AM
Thanks a lot for telling me instead of just dropping out, and also thanks for your participation. I will make Mai into an NPC for the time being and remove her from the game in a way that makes sense.
Hope things will get better for you soon.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-07, 12:24 PM
Is the woman at the scene Yuri, or a different photographer who Ami doesn't know?

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-07, 01:02 PM
It's Yuri!

Gaius
2011-12-09, 02:35 PM
Sorry for mentioning this a bit late, but I'm going to be out of town this weekend. There may not be much activity from me until Sunday or Monday evening.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-13, 12:37 PM
Just making sure, is everyone still in?

AmberVael
2011-12-13, 12:42 PM
I'm here, but as I was the last to post, you probably knew that.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-13, 12:49 PM
I'm here, but there's not much Ami can say at the moment.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-13, 01:17 PM
I'm here, but as I was the last to post, you probably knew that.
Indeed!
I'll wait a bit longer for Lykan/Gaius' reaction before advancing the scene. Everyone who considers it a positive interaction may of course make a Bond Move.

AmberVael
2011-12-13, 01:24 PM
I'm here, but there's not much Ami can say at the moment.

No, really? :smalltongue:

Lykan
2011-12-13, 02:52 PM
Indeed!
I'll wait a bit longer for Lykan/Gaius' reaction before advancing the scene. Everyone who considers it a positive interaction may of course make a Bond Move.

Sorry, I was trying not to talk to much for one scene. :smalleek: I'll post something in a little bit.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-13, 03:10 PM
Don't feel obligated to! Just wanted to make a quick check to ensure the IC silence wasn't due to OOC reasons. :smallsmile:

Lykan
2011-12-13, 03:32 PM
Ah, okay. I have no OOC reasons. I just can't think of anything of importance to make Amaya do aside from mope.

Gaius
2011-12-14, 05:13 PM
Sorry for being a little slow in response. I'm back, and still up for this. ... ^_^o Much as Mitsuki didn't have much useful to contribute.

Ami does not know that Ren is 'in the know' about magical girls, and I think Ren does not know that she is one at the moment, which I just bet will lead to some amusing misunderstandings in the future.Indeed. :smalltongue: I thought it sounded like a fun wrinkle to have waiting in the wings.

Also, Musashi, do you still have your last Relationship to assign, or did I miss it?

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-14, 05:43 PM
No prob! My apologies if I'm a little overbearing, I'm aware RL isn't always very cooperative. Glad to know everything's okay. :smallwink:

As for the last Relationship, I decided the large bunches of NPCs counted as enough actions on my part. You all will have enough opportunities to bond with them in-game. Final social chart will be up very soon.

AmberVael
2011-12-18, 10:33 PM
Anyone home? :smallfrown:

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-19, 09:25 AM
*waves*
If there's no objection, I shall move the scene.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-19, 10:48 AM
None at all.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-19, 05:56 PM
I had some free time, so I drew Amaya's portrait first:
Nightmare Hunter Maya (http://i.imgur.com/AANfN.png)
Also inserted the final social chart in the first post. Hehe, everyone's linked one way or anything.

AmberVael
2011-12-19, 06:12 PM
Nice!
I'd been vaguely considering drawing Akiko, but now I think my artistic skill might be overshadowed.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-19, 06:40 PM
Bah, don't be afraid to draw, one can only get better with practice. I decided to draw PCs mainly so I could improve my own skills. My cel-shading still isn't stellar. :smallsmile:

Lykan
2011-12-19, 08:51 PM
Oh, wow! That's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

I considered doing this too but the last time I tried to draw I hated the result so much I wanted to cut off my fingers. So I... Uh... Decided against trying again for while. <.<; Though this is awesome and pretty much spot-on so there's not really much of a point in it doing it myself anyway.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-20, 05:40 AM
That is one seriously sweet picture. I want more already.

Just warning that internet access will be spotty or absent for two days, so Ami might be (not inexplicably) silent for a while.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-20, 05:55 AM
Got other urgent drawings to do for Christmas, so the rest will have to be done afterwards. Glad to read people like the pictures. :smallredface:

Thanks for the warning!
By the way, be warned that Mai will leave the party very soon. You won't unfairly suffer consequences for fighting with one less team member.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-24, 06:21 AM
Happy holidays to everyone!

AmberVael
2011-12-26, 02:20 PM
I hope you all had a good Christmas! :smallsmile:

And now, Akiko resumes employing her horrible 'lets split up to find the magical girl devouring monster' strategy and running off like a moron.

AmberVael
2011-12-27, 09:35 PM
Just as a heads up- Lykan's computer is down. She says her posting will be spotty until the 5th of January.

Gaius
2011-12-31, 12:26 AM
Grargh... >_< Sorry, everybody. I don't know if the board ate it, but I apparently didn't actually post about this before. The short version is I'm going to have to drop out. The long version is reposted from my PM, when Musashi was considerate enough to poke me about my silence:

I hadn't been keeping up on the game because I thought I withdrew from it a while back. I'm very sorry to have to do so, especially after Zazori, but I'm just having trouble sticking with it. A few issues like spreading myself thin among too many games, general depressed feelings (been job-hunting since graduation) making it hard to summon up the mood for RP, a promise to some friends that I'd try to divert more of what time and energy I have to help revitalize a different site... :/ I hate to drop out, but I think I have to.
You've been a great group, and I've enjoyed the game. ^__^ I'd be delighted to play with any of you all again, down the road. Just sorry that it won't be in this one.

Best of luck to you all in the game! :smallsmile: I hope it's as much of a blast as it looks.

AmberVael
2011-12-31, 01:41 PM
Sorry to see you go, Gaius.

Well, I guess that means everyone who is going to post has posted then. We've got three players, which is a little small, but could probably work- still, I wouldn't complain if we brought in some new people.

I definitely do want to keep playing, even if it has been kinda slow.

DeafnotDumb
2011-12-31, 02:09 PM
Same. Not leaving here.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-02, 02:21 PM
Give me just a couple more days to work out the rest of the episode. One NPC didn't require many changes in my plans, two... a little more.
Fortunately, there's a back-up player. I'll ask them if they're still interested, otherwise, the recruitment will reopen.
Hope you guys had happy holidays!

Lykan
2012-01-05, 05:30 PM
Sorry to see you go, Gaius.

Well, I guess that means everyone who is going to post has posted then. We've got three players, which is a little small, but could probably work- still, I wouldn't complain if we brought in some new people.

I definitely do want to keep playing, even if it has been kinda slow.

Same. Not leaving here.

This. ^

Also! I should be back for good unless this computer happens to break for no reason too.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-06, 04:00 PM
Welcome back!
Notes have been rewritten, plans have been changed, threads have been revived. :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2012-01-07, 11:38 AM
I'm going to assume you meant "Mai" and not "Ami" in that latest post.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-07, 06:43 PM
Good assumption. Bad anagrams, bad. :smalleek::smallredface:
But bad roll. Not quite the desired effect, not very subtle either. But, hey, at least, there's no pesky door left, right?

By the by! In the future, when rolling Locate Something/one, Read a Person, Read an Enemy, Dominate and Sorcery, if you guys want to speed up thing, you may want to preemptively tell what effects you're aiming for. Not an obligation, though.

Things are going to get interesting very, very soon. :smallamused:

AmberVael
2012-01-07, 07:10 PM
You know, looking it over, I think some of these standard target numbers in the book may be set too high. 14 just to accomplish magic (let alone do it discreetly) is asking a fair amount.

Consider: the average magic score is 6. If you put them all even, they'd all be 6.

The average 2d6 roll is 7. So with the average score and roll, you are unlikely to succeed in conjuring the correct magical effect successfully, let alone making it subtle.

Seems to make magic incredibly risky, enough to where I question its worth.

In fact, 14 seems to be one of the standard target numbers to accomplish something... I dunno, that seems a bit too high.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-08, 05:24 AM
On the other hand, Sorcery (as well as normal Moves where Magic is substituted to normal stats, aka "Using Magic for Non-Magical Things") doesn't require specific stats, only whatever is put in Support. And it would be unwise not to use the highest magical attribute you have, which starts off at 9. In comparison, your highest normal attribute starts off at 7, so that's a +2 bonus already, and as the standard target number, only a 5 needs to be rolled.
Also, rolls may only explode when magical attributes are involved, or get an extra die in exchange for Overcharge. That also helps reaching better results. The average of 3d6 is around 9-10, which makes big successes even more likely. Using your highest magical attribute and a third die, you get from the start an average of 18-19. Well, there's that pesky Overcharge to pay and the risk to receive more, but risks sometimes need to be taken, right?

There are generally only two reasons for considering magical attributes other than the highest one. Either you are in battle, where most rolls are contested and thinking of 14 as the target number doesn't make sense. Either you believe you have enough Overcharge on your main stat, and use the other two until you can get rid of it, which is half the whole point of the game.

In short, I respect your opinion, but I don't consider your points should apply. The game is made to tempt you to use magic (so you can get Overcharge and suffer the consequences), Help your teammates (for a tiny but automatic bonus), or more generally help your teammates (if there's several of you in a team, it's so you can complement each other). I believe it fits the theme of Magical Girls quite well. And if the normal use of mundane stats was enough to succeed most checks, maybe there wouldn't be much point in using magic outside of fights at all.
Now, since you mentioned your concerns to me, I'll keep an eye on the rolls for the rest of the Episode. I might modify target numbers if I find things get ridiculous.

AmberVael
2012-01-08, 11:09 AM
Fair enough. Here are some of the observations I had in mind when I posted what I did, just so you'll be able to consider it while you keep an eye out.

1) A 9 should not be assumed as your best stat. You could easily start off with 5, 6, and 7 as your magical attributes.

2) It should not be assumed that you will use your best stat, for reasons of Overcharge, or if you are trying to conjure a magical effect in battle (where you might need to keep up your defenses).

3) 14 is simply to have success. One of the major things about magic is that you need to keep it hidden, and to keep it hidden AND have success, the number is even higher. 14 is just the bare minimum to succeed, let alone succeed well. To succeed discreetly, you require a 17, and that's an above average roll for everyone someone with a 9.

4) Overcharge is not reliable, or desirable. A roll with a 6 could be considered a failure as much as a roll below your target number.

Lykan
2012-01-13, 04:19 PM
We're still doing this, right?

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-13, 07:08 PM
Yes!
... I suppose it means I could afford posting a little something right now? :smallconfused:

AmberVael
2012-01-13, 07:16 PM
I'm pretty sure we're waiting on you.

Lykan
2012-01-14, 07:38 AM
I don't think Amaya and Ami don't really have much to do aside from wait for the backup to arrive. I suppose they could talk, but something tells me the conversation would be rather one-sided.

AmberVael
2012-01-18, 07:47 PM
Combat time! Just what Akiko has been waiting for.

Akiko sees the Youma's attack and counters with FALCON PUNCH! :smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-19, 07:24 AM
*claps* One-shot! That was seriously awesome! :smallcool:
Hope you can dispense more Falcon Punches today. :smallbiggrin:

Lykan
2012-01-23, 04:56 PM
I think she might have punched the thing so hard that the game exploded.

Either that, or the shock wave it created knocked Deaf out of existence.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-23, 05:18 PM
Just sent Deafnotdumb a PM. They were active on another part of the forum yesterday, so hopefully, we'll get a response very soon.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-23, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the reaction, Deafnotdumb! :smallsmile:

Dang forum errors! I posted a reply in the IC thread but it doesn't seem to show up right away from the subscription list. At worst, you'll be able to read it after clicking reply.

AmberVael
2012-01-23, 09:02 PM
So, what exactly is the situation? Did it attack? Are those runes minions or something? I'm not really sure what's going on...

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-24, 07:12 AM
In short:
- there is only one youma right now. The runes aren't individual creatures (and if you attack/destroy them, it is the humanoid youma who will take the damage, so there's no penalty if you play IC ignorance, and have your Magical Girl attack a floating rune). Being all part of the same creature, they don't follow the rules of Minions/Minion Creation, for the sake of simplicity.
- it is launching an attack right now. Like previously, it's not your turn yet, but you have just enough time to clash/defend/cover.

Some extra meta-knowledge to understand better why the current events are taking place the way they do:
- the previous youma's nickname is Glyph. The humanoid youma's is Thoth.
- the rune you just defeated was an individual youma. Thoth intentionally gave Glyph independence (and therefore its own Oblivion Seed) so it could scout the place more effectively.
- Amaya succeeded her Locate Something check, but not enough to avoid a side effect. Unlike the others who got misleading clues, she appropriately found where to start looking, but Thoth felt it was being watched. As a precaution, he made Glyph independent, hid in a wall inside its own Nightmare, and waited for the party.

- Thoth feeds by making humans read his runes, which hypnotizes them and makes them defenseless. Then, runes are launched and merge with the victim's skin, absorbing their mind. Finally, they leave the body and merge back with Thoth so it can absorb the energy. There are several problems with this method: it messily kills the victim, as it rips off one's flesh during the last step; it is rather slow; and because it requires the victim to read the runes, illiterate, blind, or unconscious people are completely immune.
Magical Girls can't be hypnotized or hurt as easily, but should still be careful.

AmberVael
2012-01-24, 08:15 AM
- it is launching an attack right now. Like previously, it's not your turn yet, but you have just enough time to clash/defend/cover.

Ah, see, this is why I asked... because I couldn't tell whether it had acted and attacked us or had done something we didn't see, or... what.

And I'm still not sure who it attacked.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-24, 01:49 PM
It's a surprise!
It attacks Amaya and Akiko. More details will come once everyone has posted which attributes go where.

AmberVael
2012-01-26, 09:26 AM
Ami may also Cover you if she doesn't want to do anything else this round.

Actually, unlike Clash, Cover does not state that it uses your turn. It is, however, a weaker option than Clash other than that.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-26, 10:10 AM
*checks*
You're right! My bad.
... I'm not sure that rule makes sense this way. :smallconfused:

Lykan
2012-01-26, 06:42 PM
I think you meant Akiko when you said Amaya in the first part of your post... :smalltongue:

I'm sorry I'm taking so long. I was trying to figure out if the clash had already been done for me or something and I was being confused and stuff.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-26, 07:12 PM
It's getting late, so I'm not sure to what post you're referring to? IC or OOC? If it's IC, well, Amaya succeeded her Stay Calm check and I simply gave IC confirmation of this. :smalleek:

Yeah, so about the clash: it's two simultaneous but separate actions, both of which happen to be attacks. One targets Akiko (who did her part), the other one targets Amaya, and you still need to decide whether you clash or defend (I don't decide what your character does, after all, you do). If you want me to do the rolls themselves, that's fine!
Sorry if things got confusing. I did not intend to tell right away who was attacked/what was going on before initiative order was confirmed. But because I was asked to further clarify here, I dumped a bunch of information without making sure everyone would understand as clearly as I do. Sorry about that.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-28, 02:16 PM
And here's Golden Princess Nagisa's portrait! http://i.imgur.com/tDVJS.png

DeafnotDumb
2012-01-28, 04:19 PM
Rolling Ami's support check:

[roll0]

AmberVael
2012-01-28, 06:23 PM
Here's Akiko's support check, on the off chance she manages to roll three sixes or something...

[roll0]

In case of Overcharge: [roll1]

Also! Cool picture. I like the circlet especially. It's not quite how I picture Akiko though- I'll have to finish up my own version sometime (I've still got the half finished one floating around...)

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-28, 07:29 PM
I could redraw it if you wish. It's a minor change, and details concerning the circlet must have gotten lost in my notes. :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2012-01-29, 11:27 AM
Oh no, it wasn't the circlet I was saying didn't fit. If anything, I'm going to steal that and add it to my picture of her.

I haven't ever come out and fully described Akiko (I think I wanted to finish my picture instead but I just never got around to it), so any discrepancies between my vision of her and your picture are really you just filling in the blanks I left unsaid, and there are quite a lot of them.

Edit Bump:
Going to go ahead and get rid of Akiko's overcharge.
Flare Type: [roll0]
If it is a change: [roll1]

Temporary change: Bad place. Nightmares, huh? I bet I can do something interesting with that...
Come to think of it, getting bad nightmares after exploding in fury at something that messed with your heads is a perfect result.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-29, 11:50 AM
Noted!
Now, the scene that will follow this one will include semi-important information that Akiko won't be able to learn if she's in a Bad Place. Knowing that, if you don't think it would be fair to exclude her from such a scene, you may want to delay either the actual Overcharge riddance or its effects (since Changes don't always take effect right away). It's up to you!

AmberVael
2012-01-29, 11:53 AM
Gotcha. I think I can swing it so that it occurs a little later. In fact, it will only require a little bit of editing for the post I was working up...

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-31, 07:57 AM
There are right now two players in the recruitment thread whose character's background match, and one of them wondered if they could make their PCs sisters and join the roleplay at once.
I don't have any problem with that, but I wanted to ask you first if you had no objection about going back to a 5-members group.

(Also waiting for Ami's action to finish the scene and begin the next one; bear with me, we're reaching the end of the episode and the shiny XP.)

AmberVael
2012-01-31, 08:12 AM
I've no problem with that. If anything, I was kind of wondering why you were only recruiting one person given that we had two people drop.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-31, 08:18 AM
Partly because I learnt afterwards the system is better-suited for smaller groups (1-3 PCs), partly because I thought the flow of the game would be faster and smoother with one less player.

Lykan
2012-01-31, 08:51 AM
There are right now two players in the recruitment thread whose character's background match, and one of them wondered if they could make their PCs sisters and join the roleplay at once.
I don't have any problem with that, but I wanted to ask you first if you had no objection about going back to a 5-members group.

(Also waiting for Ami's action to finish the scene and begin the next one; bear with me, we're reaching the end of the episode and the shiny XP.)

It's fine with me too.

AmberVael
2012-01-31, 08:53 AM
Partly because I learnt afterwards the system is better-suited for smaller groups (1-3 PCs), partly because I thought the flow of the game would be faster and smoother with one less player.

Understandable. It's up to you, but I have no problem if they can keep up. :smallsmile:

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-31, 09:25 AM
So, we got an agreement! Off to tell the prospective players. :smallsmile:
I'll just make extra efforts to ensure things don't slow down too much. Oblivion Seeds' number will definitely become an issue as not everyone will constantly get one, but that's an interesting potential for IC conflict. And interesting conflicts make interesting plots. :smallwink:

Lykan
2012-02-04, 07:03 AM
A dog named Tindalos?

Reference got. Excuse me while I hide under the bed. :smalleek:

(incidentally, I wonder if Amaya would get it too, given its source...)

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-04, 07:13 AM
:smallbiggrin:

Expect a few more references like that along the road.

AmberVael
2012-02-07, 08:37 AM
I know waiting for people is kind of a big thing in PbP, so just as a heads up for my plan-

Unless it's relatively far away, what I'm thinking is that I'll wait for Akiko to get settled somewhere to sleep, and then post a nightmare sequence before she wakes up. But if it is going to take a while, I might just post it while she's in the taxi or something.

AmberVael
2012-02-07, 02:09 PM
Okay, so I am not pleased with the pose I ended up with, but I made a picture of Akiko. I really want to put her in a different pose, but as that would basically involve starting from scratch... well, even if I do, might as well show this result. At minimum, the pose does give a very good view of how I pictured her.

Linky. (http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/Other/Akiko.png)

Her hair is impractically long, probably more than she normally keeps it. I put it down to magical girl costume powers. :smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-07, 03:49 PM
Very, very nice pic!

Lykan
2012-02-08, 10:22 AM
Given how there isn't really much else for us to do here, can we move on to the next scene?

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-08, 11:23 AM
Alright, ma'am!

AmberVael
2012-02-08, 11:28 AM
Glad you liked the picture, Musashi. :smallsmile:

Anyway, a bit of a time skip sounds decent to me too.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-08, 04:28 PM
Last post edited to include the timeskip.
At the end of this scene, unless something pops up at the last second, we'll reach the end of the Episode and the XP rewards.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-09, 05:02 AM
Say, Deafnotdumb, since you made Ami's aunt and uncle, would you rather I play them or you? I'm asking you because it's not of much importance here who does. :smallsmile:

Ecksdee
2012-02-10, 06:07 PM
Hello~ I'm just going to post the profile of the latest girl to join the team!

-Sheet-

Family Name: Uchida
Given Name: Sadako
Girl Type: Plain Jane Non-Hero
Magical Girl Roots: "I'm surrounded by obnoxious idiots, a.k.a. my new family."
Wish: "I want everything back the way it was."
Crisis: Her father has remarried another woman and has moved her and her brood of loud and crazy children into their home. And she utterly hates all of them.

Magical Girl Name: Absolute Magister Sadako
Magical Girl Costume: A fancy eton blue high-collared riding habit and cinched skirt done in Victorian style. Her legs are covered by a pair of black stockings and on her feet are stylized leather ankle boots. She also wears a small bowler hat. Oh and ruffles. EVERYWHERE.

Reference (http://eyesiq.deviantart.com/art/sketch-book-peek-COUTURE-98314834)

Magical Element: Rectification

Magical Effect: Magic Shield

Magical Power: True Writing

Magical Effect: Magic Boost

Magical Weapon: Mameluke Sword

Finishing Attack: Excellent Refresh (Magic, Powerful Attack)

Aggro: 5
Cool: 6
Social: 3
Sharp: 7

Magic: 8
Heart: 4
Fury: 6

-Background-

Sadako has never been special. Born to lower middle-class parents, she was well-loved enough for her not to feel neglected, and she was fairly happy and content with her humdrum life. She went to school, got decent grades, and never set so much as a toe out of line. Some may call this an unfulfilling existence but for Sadako it was all the comfort and security she desired.

Then her mother vanished mysterious one day. She'd said she was going to the market and would "be right back". The police searched and searched but never found a single clue as to what happened to Mrs. Uchida. So things continued on with just Sadako and her father for awhile, trying to maintain the normalcy they had grown so accustomed to before the incident.

Sadako never expected her dad to fall in love with another woman a year later. Nor did she expect him to hastily marry her and move her into their home -- along with her five children. The young was livid. They were trespassers seeking to ruin everything. Their attempts to assimilate her into their fold was met with extreme derision, Sadako not wanting anything to do with them. If only there were a way to make them disappear. If only there were a way to bring her mother back.

If only...

Ecksdee
2012-02-10, 07:02 PM
Here's a relationship~

Tadashi Sumiregawa (Heart)

Sadako's next door neighbor and long-time friend. He's an up-and-coming amateur boxer whose prowess in the ring is exceptional for someone his age. Tadashi's a nice guy with good looks and popularity to spare, yet he insists on hanging with Sadako despite their vastly different social standings among peers. Often grabs her in playful headlocks and teases her.

DeafnotDumb
2012-02-10, 07:17 PM
Say, Deafnotdumb, since you made Ami's aunt and uncle, would you rather I play them or you? I'm asking you because it's not of much importance here who does. :smallsmile:

I'd rather you play them, personally, but thanks for asking!

Ecksdee
2012-02-11, 10:30 AM
Sooo do I just hang out until the next episode? Since the youma is donezo I'm assuming we're moving on.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-11, 01:27 PM
The next Episode will start with you and the other player; the current one will be over very soon.
We may play out your character's recruitment or just turn you into a MG off-screen, whichever you want.

Ecksdee
2012-02-11, 01:33 PM
Ah! Well, we can play it out. I think that'd be fun to do. :D

Lykan
2012-02-13, 02:50 PM
This isn't one of those situations where we're all waiting on different people to post but none of us knows who it is? I can't tell. :smalleek:

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-13, 04:16 PM
No, it is my turn, but both Sunday and today have been extremely busy (and so will tomorrow and Wednesday I suspect). A reply will come very, very shortly.

Lykan
2012-02-13, 04:20 PM
Okie dokie. Just making sure.

smuchmuch
2012-02-13, 10:20 PM
Hello everyone. Happy to join this game.

(I like Sadako, she looks like an hilarious concept.)
I would be perfectly okay with laying my character recruitment too

Sorry it took me so long, I'm not very good at character writting, but here's goes anyway:

Tsukasa Matsubara

Girl type: Little prankster

Tsukaka is born from loving if pretty busy carriers higher middle class parents in Most people would describe her as an easygoing energetic bright girl at first contact. And an annoying egocentric hyperactive spoiled brat, for others (Somewhat harsh a description, but far from being entirely undeserved)

What else can be said ? She went to school, made Somme friends she liked hanging around, (and admittedly quite a few people who wouldn't have minded seeing her get a well deserved smack in the face), got a few hobbies she usually abandoned after a few week of mediocrity (she has a half decent talent with a pencil for what it's worth, and she make in enthusiasm what she lacks in real effort for gymnastic), sometime got in trouble because of her impulsive curiosity and inability to know when to back, nothing never deep, though, and had some good moments overall. Nothing truly out off the ordinary. But while everything wasn't perfect as she'd might find out later if she were to look more closely (particularly in the financial situation), as far as childhood go it's still pretty golden.
Crisis: My parents died, and now I have to live with my horrible uncle.
Roots: I lost everything I care about, so why not?

And one day, it all went tumbling down. Literally.
Even with prevention measures, the earthquake was as sudden as it was violent and took everyone by surprise. Tsukaka was at her school in a more secure part of town at the time, all she remembers is a couple of long agonizing hour of uncertainty in a reinforced cellar. (, it did leave a mark, vibration make her nervous)

Her parents were on the road when it happened; They still haven't been found a the time.
Tsukaka has mostly dealt with this by, well, not really dealing with it as a matter of fact. It was all going to be temporary, at any moment she was going to get a call, her parent were fine and everything would be back to normal after a while. Anytime now...
It's been a little more than one month now and even if a small part of her is still in denial, you can only fool yourself for so long. She cried, few are those who wouldn't. She feels angry, but who is there to be angry at when the ground itself is the culprit ? It feel cruel and utterly random and, in the end, it just hurts.
For the first time, as she finally make a half hearted effort to stroll out of her room in a week and get anything else on her mind, Tsukaka usually pretty easygoing starts truly wondering about the future and can't help but feel She'd give anything to change the past.

Element: Surprise!
(Okay, yeah, I rolled 'Ice', but this would be funnier if you'll allow it)
Chaos

Magical power: Illusions

Magical effects:
-Double action
-Magic boost

Magic:6
Heart:7
(I am however choosing to interpret this as more getting power from positive emotions and 'spirit'/willpower in general, if you'll allow me)
Furry:5

Magical Girl Costume: (2d6)[2][4](6) (2d6)[5][1](6) (2d6)[1][2](3)
Silver; Ballet; Cat

(... I'm half tempted to give her one of those (http://deadsulky.co.uk/kitty-ears-star-all-over-print-hoodie-p-36.html) a part of hr magical uniform just to have a rarely hoodie wearing magical girl.)

Weapon: Spear.
Finishing Attack: Debilitating Attack

Attributes:

Social:7
Sharp:6
Cool:5
Aggro:3

Tsukaka is rather sociable and can be quite charming, curious (generally to a fault, it already got her into trouble), rather impulsive (though teenhood is starting to throw in a certain 'healthy' dose of laziness into the mix), quick on her feet (but definitively not as smart as she think she is) and she's rather manipulative (or at least don't mind thinking herself as so.).
The way she used to see it for every situation there are 'Opportunities' (yes with a capital O, she truly believe this and that might tell you a lot about all you need to know about her) that will arise and you have to grab when they come. Introspection isn't one of her strong point.

She's not a big fighter (in fact she'd rather avoid fighting, though mostly out of the fact she's a wimp when it comes to brute force rather than all out non violence) but she's can get kind of a mean streak, particularly when letting out negative emotions.

(Given the nature of the recent events that happened to her, this however might change, as she gets more into her shell and less of a happy go lucky attitude)

Long incomming Edit:

Watanabe Matoko (14)(heart)

One of her fellow classmate and friend from Osaka who kept long distance contact with, even after crisis stuck.

While not a complete loner, Matoko is a generaly reserved person who seems to enjoy books and computers, doesn't talk much (with a sarcastic cutting edge when she does) and has penetrating stare that gives the imprssion you are constantly being evaluated.
As it turns out, Matoko may be not a charm graduate in company but in private, when you get to know her, there's another side to her. She's one of nature's good listener and she gives half decent counseling to those in need (though after a few weeks or so it usualy boil down to: "talk about it to your parents ans see if you can get help", "cut the drama and tell him/her already" or "stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something", there's only so much advice you can get in those situation). And she does care, in her own blunt way, about those she tolerates (and also half a dozen people she never met in person as well, but that's besides the point) so she act as a rock solid beacon in the sinking ship that has been last month.

(edited this link from later (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12733764&postcount=142) because in retrospect it was waaayyy too long and develloped for characters that will probaly never appear directly in game.)
----------------------------------------------

Uncle Mamoru (furry)

(still need to writte this one)

-----------------------------------------------
karaoke club(and Hana by extension) (heart)

One evening Tsuakaka was feeling rather low and not like going back home, she ropped by Hana to go in the karaoke club. The distraction was more than welcome, and the afternnon turned out to be a rather good one (what tsukaak doesn't have in straight up singign talent she make up in enthusisam and complete inability to realise she has no sense of rythm whatsoever.)
She hasn't officialy joined the club yet but is considering it, seeing as she had fun.

AmberVael
2012-02-14, 02:56 PM
It's good to have you both joining the game. Mushashi is doing a great job, and the game has been running pretty consistently so far, which is more than a lot of PbP games can say. :smallsmile:

Ecksdee
2012-02-15, 05:31 AM
Thanks smuch and Vael. :D I can't wait to have Sadako wondering what the hell she got herself into. :smalltongue: Oh well, at least there's benefits.

Right?

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-15, 05:53 AM
Glad to hear compliments! I'll do my best to keep things fun and improve on my weak points. :smallredface:

Will review Smuchmuch's profile more thoroughly later, though it appears good at first glance.

Lykan
2012-02-15, 02:28 PM
Welcome aboard new peoples! I hope we make many demons explode together. :smallbiggrin:

Also fun. Fun is important too.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-15, 03:27 PM
To smuchmuch: everything's good, the only thing I'm not too fond of is your element. I'm not too sure what surprise-themed fallout or sorcery would look like (beside unexpected and chaotic things... but then, why not just have chaos?). So you have 3 solutions here: either you change it back to ice as rolled randomly the first time, either you change it to something thematically close like chaos, or you keep the element of surprise (oh lord the pun) as is and I'll make an effort to figure it out.

Other than that, it's your turn to create a social link. :smallsmile:

smuchmuch
2012-02-16, 05:01 PM
I'm not too sure what surprise-themed fallout or sorcery would look like (beside unexpected and chaotic things... but then, why not just have chaos?).

(oh lord the pun)

I think you may have answered part of your own question here.

But seriously, it's just that looking a tother characters i was under the impression that the magical abilities of the magical girls were aprtly influneced by their personalities.
And 'Chaos' is kind of a strong word. It has a meaning of complete confusion and disorder with some undertone of destruction and disaray (I mean when you say someplace or event is in a state of chaos it's genraly not a good thing.). Wich I suppose works with the darker aspect of the game.

So it's mostly just a matter of semantics, and I'm cool with taking chaos as an element if surprise annoys you.

Also as an alternative, if mirrors is an acceptable magical element (there's already 'glass' for some reason, I could take that. (thematicaly it works with illusions)

Other than that, it's your turn to create a social link.

------------------------------------------------
Watanabe Matoko (14) and Kou Midori (13) (heart)

Two of her fellow classmate and friend from Osaka who kept long distance contact with, even after crisis stuck.

While not a complete loner, Matoko is a generaly reserved person who seems to enjoy books and computers, doesn't talk much (with a sarcastic cutting edge when she does) and has penetrating stare that gives the imprssion you are constantly being evaluated.Tsukaka wouldn't have approached her in the first place if they hadn't had to work on a common project in class. But, (possibly because Matoko made herself a challenge and Tsukaka excert a certain amused fascination), they went along surprisingly well given the rather opposite personalities.
As it turns out, Matoko may be not a charm graduate in company but in private, when you get to know her, there's another side to her. She's one of nature's good listener and she gives half decent counseling to those in need (though after a few weeks or so it usualy boil down to: "talk about it to your parents ans see if you can get help", "cut the drama and tell him/her already" or "stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something", there's only so much advice you can get in those situation).
And she does care, in her own blunt way, about those she tolerates (and also half a dozen people she never met in person as well, but that's besides the point) so she act as a rock solid beacon in the sinking ship that has been last month.

Midori is not the shapest tool in the shed but she's vivacious, pretty creative and enjoy a good laugh.
Tsukaka has known her for a while now from a while back, they happened to be in the same gym class; they befriended because they had rather similar taste at the time and they hanged together for years. She's probably the closest thing Tsukaka would think of as a 'best friend'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsukaka just arrived in this city and she wasn't exactly in the mood to make contact so she probably hasn't any relation with the already present NPCs.
But I can see Yuri, Aino, Ren and the twins, potentialy.

(Oh yeah and there's the matter of the "horrible" uncle. Since he's part of my character backstorry and crissi he might probably appears as a NPC at one time or another.
Should I flesh him out or would you rather if I left him open ?)

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-17, 05:36 AM
Elements may or may not be influenced by the character's personality. There could be shy MG with destructive powers, and there could be dynamic MG with passive powers.
Yes, it's really a matter of semantics. Hope you understand. With all other elements so far, I can picture different effects. Surprise doesn't work so much, especially when one of the key element of magic and fallout is surprise already. Mirror is a fine element for me.

You may also have bigger groups of NPCs as social links. It can be a club or a sports team she just joined, for example.
As for the uncle, you're free to do what you want with him. :smallsmile:

smuchmuch
2012-02-17, 08:22 AM
(Speaking of semantics, i'll ask out of curiosity, what is 'rectification' supposed to be then ? 'justice', 'order', 'punishement', geometry on OCD ?)

Alright, given the other elements so far (sun, death, sound, whateverrectificationmaybebutit'sprobablyratherabs tract) Chaos would be the one who would thematicaly make the most sense of the two, so I'll go with that, I suppose.

Edited.

I'll do the (not so) horrible uncle and one or two more social links a little later; And I thinK I'm all set for now. ?

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-17, 09:42 AM
I see rectification as "fixing" things back into a proper and clean norm. It's a form of order that may imply creation (a broken object turning back into its unbroken, functional form) or destruction (erasure of graffiti and vandalism). The applications in sorcery are obvious enough, whereas with fallout, things could "fix" themselves even if they were never considered broken in the first place, dirt disappearing, etc... if people are caught in it, they may find their piercings, tattoos, and other "deviant" details vanishing.
Hope I'm clear enough. Surprise only tells me "unexpected things happen", which is the whole point of magic and its side effects.
(Ecksdee, if you didn't see the element of rectification this way, just tell me.)

Ecksdee
2012-02-17, 08:11 PM
You hit the nail on the head Musashi. Sadako's element is closely tied with her desire for everything to go back to the way it was before her mother's disappearance. As such she's sort of makeshift "wrong-righter" in a sense... except more literal and less metaphorical. Originally I was going for an angle where her magic would stir up reality itself to scrutinize any and all oddities which it would then attempt to fix... though that may have come off as a bit too powerful.

And you can imagine the fun fallout-related things that could happen... :smallamused:

Ecksdee
2012-02-21, 02:17 PM
Trying to come up with another relationship...

AmberVael
2012-02-21, 04:15 PM
Might I suggest trying to link up with one of the already created NPCs? It not only would make things easier for Musashi (having to keep track of and include less characters in the story), but would help develop social dynamics within the group.

We've got a chart here. (http://i.imgur.com/juxOg.png) Maybe look into linking with Hana, Yuri, Rin, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12279990&postcount=13) Haruna, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12262446&postcount=5) (in the relationships section) Nori, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12281931&postcount=19) or Sora? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12314021&postcount=41) All of those NPCs are only linked to one person thus far.

Of course, there is also something to be said for trying to promote a few particular NPCs to importance, so perhaps adding more emphasis to Aino or the Hamaguchis might make sense as well.

Ecksdee
2012-02-21, 04:23 PM
Good idea. :D That's a really nice list to choose from, too. DECISIONS~

Still eager to jump in and start rectifying wrongs!

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-21, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that list, Vael! Adding it to the first post, it's going to help.

AmberVael
2012-02-23, 02:42 PM
...the game has been running pretty consistently so far...

Well, you know, the game was running consistently. I must have jinxed it.

I assume we're waiting on DeafnotDumb here. Are you busy?

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-23, 03:07 PM
*checks again in case of stealthy forum hiccup*
Yep, waiting on Deafnotdumb.
I propose a compromise: we wait 24 hours for a reply. If nothing comes by then, I'll end the Episode as planned. It shouldn't be too problematic, I don't see Ami doing anything that would delay the session's end anyway.

DeafnotDumb
2012-02-23, 04:47 PM
Sorry. I assumed Musashi was ending the episode soon, and I can't think of anything Ami could really add, so just go on ahead.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-23, 07:37 PM
Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding! :smallredface:

As I'm typing the post, here's the spoils:
DeafnotDumb, Vael and Lykan each obtain 3 XP.
Lykan gets 1 extra XP for getting closer to Amaya's wish (be warned though: this is an easy wish to work toward when you're a MG. You're only going to get more XP if you do even more spectacular and interesting things than previous time.)
As per the rules, DeafnotDumb, Vael and Lykan may also grant 1XP each to a player of their choice.

A few notes in closing:
- there haven't been enough regular challenges for me to estimate correctly whether the values that need to be reached are too high and need readjusting. For the time being, I'm leaving them the way they are.
- don't hesitate making the following challenges: Read a Person, Read an Enemy, or Bond! Only you can judge when it is necessary to check a person's motives, analyze an enemy, or an interaction with an NPC or another PC was positive. I'm not going to make these checks for you, because they require your active consent. (Same goes for Dominate, etc; but they didn't really get a chance to be used in this Episode anyway.) As a rule of thumb, if a challenge allows the player to choose the effects, you decide when to use it; if it allows the GM to do so, I will tell you when to roll it.
- when you do use Sorcery, if you forget to roll and start describing the effects, I will take it as an invitation to make the roll on my corner and see if the effect is subtle AND wanted. If you want to decide which one of the two you get, you must at the very least NOT describe the consequences of your action without rolling. No big deal, but I want to make everything clear.
- Ami's telepathy is a small exception to the above rule, given communication would be even harder otherwise. "Speaking" a word or two, sending a simple emotion, everything that happened so far are "free actions". Sending more complicated messages, forcing a strong emotion on someone, trying to read one's thought and other such forms of telepathy/empathy will count as Sorcery and need the relevant roll.
- I'm expecting to run this campaign for maybe 5-6 more Episodes.

Everyone: I'll post the start of the next Episode sometime after this weekend. During this time, you're welcome to talk about NPCs you wish to meet and other stuff. New players are encouraged to finish their social links by then.
Thanks a lot for your participation and your interest! This is a great experience for me so far, and I hope it goes the same for you. :smallwink:

Ecksdee
2012-02-24, 02:14 AM
Sounds like a plan! I'll get to work on more social links 'till then.

AmberVael
2012-02-24, 10:25 PM
As per the rules, DeafnotDumb, Vael and Lykan may also grant 1XP each to a player of their choice.

Then I will grant 1xp to Lykan, for landing the killing blow on the Youma, getting revenge, consistent posting, and also to guarantee that at least one of us can get an advance. :smallwink:

- I'm expecting to run this campaign for maybe 5-6 more Episodes.

Aw, really? Seems like it might be a kinda short game then.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-25, 05:37 AM
The next episodes will be longer than this one.
Yes, this game will be a little shorter than the advertised average of 12-13 episodes. That's in big part because I can give no guarantee on the time I can spend on this game in the future; I'm looking for a job, among others. So, I prefer running a bit shorter campaign than a half-arsed or abandoned full-length one.
If that's any comfort, your in-game actions may have an influence on the length of the campaign. If you solve the issues quickly or miss important stuff on your way to kicking youma butt, or anything else that would justify it, then I can ensure there is more cool stuff for you to do. My plot is not railroady enough to prevent that. :smallwink:

Ecksdee
2012-02-25, 06:00 AM
5-6 episodes doesn't sound too bad, especially if each episode becomes longer and longer. Reminds me of an OVA really!

Anywho, here's some more social link stuffs:

Amaririsu (Fury)

Amaririsu is pretty and part of the popular group, and looks down on Sadako with a mixture of superiority and -- most of all -- envy over her relationship with Tadashi. Makes catty comments and tries to get under Sadako's skin, but is ignored and seen as a minor nuisance, which only causes her to double her efforts. Really wishes she could show Tadashi what a waste of time Sadako is. Potential magical girl NPC rival???

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-25, 12:36 PM
Huh... if Kido is Sadako's enemy, then she doesn't count as a proper Fury relationship, just as an enemy.
It's explained in the rules :"All relationships (as things you write down on your character sheet) are ultimately positive on some level, some-thing your magical girl would miss if it was gone. Fury relationships are a little tricky, but if you have a relation-ship with someone it means you get something positive out of it. If you want your magical girl to be an outright enemy with someone, don’t have a relationship with them."
A proper Fury relationship could be, for example:
-a rival who respects you
-an annoying (but not hated) acquaintance
-a cold but good mentor/teacher
-a parent you're rebelling against but who cares for you
-a vitriolic friend who however helps you when you really need it
-a club that focuses on competition between its member
-etc...

In her current state, Kido is invalid as a social link. You might want to rework their dynamics.

Ecksdee
2012-02-25, 02:29 PM
Oops. Ok, I reworked it a bit. When I meant "enemy" I didn't really mean true enemy. My bad. Amaririsu is just a minor pain in the butt. For now, anyway.

Lykan
2012-02-26, 06:22 PM

My point is gonna go to Deaf. It's not that I don't think Vael doesn't deserve the extra point, especially since I liked that Akiko was very apt at leading the group about and I particularly liked her posts concerning her finishing attack and the nightmares she experienced as a result of overcharge. It's more that if I give Deaf the point there's at least a chance that everyone gets a bonus point for this episode which I like because everyone did pretty well.

Plus, I enjoy Ami's character. She's quite amusingly snarky and the way she interacts with other characters is fun to read. The mute thing is a nice and interesting quality to roleplay around for everyone involved as well, though I guess that's less about performance for this particular episode and more about the character in general.

So, uh... Sorry Vael. Please don't nom me or anything. :smalleek:

DeafnotDumb
2012-02-26, 06:54 PM
It's more that if I give Deaf the point there's at least a chance that everyone gets a bonus point for this episode which I like because everyone did pretty well.

Thanks. That's neat, because my extra point is going to go to Vael!

I like how Akiko's character is run and how her obsessions come to the fore without completely controlling the character, and the battle she has between her own desires and a bit of, well, common sense. And also because I look forward to where she will go in the future.

Does this mean that Lykan is saved from a nomming?

AmberVael
2012-02-26, 07:10 PM
My nibbly wrath has been averted... for now! But be warned, should you fail to appease me, it will be unleashed upon you all! :smalltongue:

Really, I very much like all of our characters. I rather expected we would just make a circle of XP.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-27, 06:44 AM
@Lykan: that makes 5XP for you, and you can buy an Advance (see p. 29). Please post which one you're buying, and update your sheet accordingly. :smallwink:

@Ecksdee: now, I'm embarrassed, because I'm not seeing much of a difference in your edited post. :smalleek:
What strikes me here is that she cares a lot more about Tadashi than Sadako. The latter is only seen as an annoying obstacle on her way to Tadashi in her eyes, and I doubt Sadako would value her relationship with Amaririsu, what with the minor attempts at bullying. You may not use the word "enemy" to describe her, but that's still what she comes up as to me. Given Sadako's personality and how she dislikes her new family just because they happen to exist, I can't figure out why she would tolerate better someone who actively and willingly annoys her. Amaririsu doesn't bring anything positive to Sadako or inversely (and no, helping her grow a thicker skin through her pettiness doesn't count. I've met many people who did the same to me, and frankly? I wish to never deal with any of them ever again, and hope their lives are as miserable as they deserve. If a PC here desires the same thing about a social link, then it is not a social link.).
Do you understand the issue here?
So, in supplement to Tadashi, I'm still waiting for two more valid social links.

@smuchmuch: in case you missed my previous answer: yes, you can use the uncle as a social link. And I'm waiting for the third one from you. :smallsmile:

smuchmuch
2012-02-27, 07:26 AM
(My apologies. I didn't miss your answer, I was just... er procrastinating like hell, to be honnest (sorry it happens sometime. particulary when i think i know what i want to writte but i'm not sure how to do it.). And also a bit busy on the side this last week

I'll have a description of the uncle (furry relationship, i think; fits in the 'parents that cares but you are rebelling against'.) and my third social link up soon. Sorry for the delay.)

(it occure to me that if we don't want to overstretch the cast of NPcs too much as Vael suggested, one of the adults one could eventualy be the aunt/uncle. Just a proposition in the air.
(don't see ny that'd work though, sadly. Yuri would be the closest, even if just time wise, but she's a bit too young.)

-------------------------------------

Given the actual composition of the team, someone could make a social worker/psyciatrist NPC, she'd have reason to have contact with... well about everybody (although, I've readed somewhere the japaneese have views about that ?)

(seriousl, kind of pattern here:

At a young age, her father had died in a car accident, leaving her to grow up with an emotionally abusive and often inebriated mother.

In a single moment, her sister and shining ideal were torn away, leaving a gaping hole in her heart that demanded to be filled

Then her mother vanished mysterious one day.

And my character lost both parents because, you know, only one is just so common.

Oh and the only character who hasn't lost any close members of her family is just shunned by them..

You have to wonder if Tsukaima don't have a sixth sense for broken families..)

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-27, 08:53 AM
(You have to wonder if Tsukaima don't have a sixth sense for broken families..)
Shhhhhhhhh. :smallbiggrin:
No, they just break families themselves!
No, no, just kidding, for the love of everything that is holy, don't take the above seriously.
I'm not too sure about a psychiatrist/social worker NPC. The main inconvenient is that most interactions between that person and a PC could not involve any other PC, else they wouldn't be able to do their job. That, and said interactions are not very exciting anyway.
Does anyone else want such an NPC? I'll consider making one if there is more interest.

Ecksdee
2012-02-27, 06:14 PM
@Musashi: Ok, I totally get where you're coming from. Makes perfect since, actually. My plan was going to be a bit grandiose anyway -- Amaririsu was going to maybe become an NPC magical girl (if you would've allowed something like that) and strive to get the 13 Oblivion Seeds so she could effectively wish Sadako out of existence, thus paving the way for her to jump into Tadashi's arms. Crazy, I know. o.o

...Sooo, instead of that mess I'm going to just link up with one of the NPCs you provided, along with one of my own creation.

The Book Club (Heart)
Sadako is a member of a small society of like-minded individuals at her school who have an affinity for dusty old books. They meet in the library after class, though these meetings are admittedly sporadic. She likes everyone in it even if she doesn't always show it, and looks forward to their get-togethers since it means less time she has to spend at home. Also, cucumbers are the club's official snack of choice.

Akane and Youta (Heart)
How Sadako grew to be more than an acquaintance of the twins is unknown to her. Akane asked her to borrow a pencil once in class, and when she obliged it seemed as if that put them -- and by extension Youta -- on friendly terms. She's constantly amused by their little faux psychic gag, and will corroborate any tales that spin from it.

There! :3

Lykan
2012-02-28, 12:05 AM
@Lykan: that makes 5XP for you, and you can buy an Advance (see p. 29). Please post which one you're buying, and update your sheet accordingly. :smallwink:

Sweet. I think this means I'm gonna get a Precise Attack. I'll update my sheet as soon as I can think of a good name/fluff for it. Which is a process that's taking longer than I had intended.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-28, 06:46 AM
@Musashi: Ok, I totally get where you're coming from. Makes perfect since, actually. My plan was going to be a bit grandiose anyway -- Amaririsu was going to maybe become an NPC magical girl (if you would've allowed something like that) and strive to get the 13 Oblivion Seeds so she could effectively wish Sadako out of existence, thus paving the way for her to jump into Tadashi's arms. Crazy, I know. o.o

That's an idea I can understand and respect, but these details have their place in your character's background instead. Yes, I do read the backgrounds I make you write :p . The fluff about social links is quite clear and fitting as is; people you know who help you find your inner strength and risk having bad, odd events happen to them in return. It doesn't make as much sense if you feel encouraged to gather the right amount of Overcharge to intentionally inflict them Changes or Bursts to ruin their lives.
So I'll instead keep your idea in mind and see what I can work out in the plot.
Thanks for the new links, they're quite good!

@Lykan: a new Finishing Attack? Nice! I think it's my favourite one of the bunch.

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-28, 04:26 PM
Posted the introductory post for the 2nd Episode!
Like previously, it isn't a big deal if you start posting in the IC thread before submitting your 3rd social link. Normally, it will only start mattering after this first scene. The social link chart will likewise be updated accordingly at the same time.

AmberVael
2012-03-01, 09:19 AM
Assuming that scene qualifies (it was kind of short and awkward, but that's about as good as Akiko is going to get at the moment), Akiko will use Bond with Amaya and Ami.

I assume since there are two people involved, I make two rolls, but just take the first if I'm wrong.
Amaya: [roll0]
Ami: [roll1]

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-01, 09:57 AM
I'm rather lenient when it comes to bond rolls, so long as you don't roll more than once per NPC/PC per scene.
Both rolls succeeded! You've now got 2 new relationships with 3 strains each; you'll need to work a tiny bit more to make them function fully. At this point, you can use them for any attribute you wish, as long as the justification for it makes sense. :smallsmile:

DeafnotDumb
2012-03-01, 05:42 PM
Since Amaya's gone and learned sign language, I'd say that's reason enough to try and grab a relationship with her.

[roll0]

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-01, 06:23 PM
Bonding is gonna be difficult with a Social attribute that low. :smalleek:
... maybe I should revise the caps for Bond rolls successes.
*thinkthink*
Given that the Social attribute is useful for nothing else... that you don't get the opportunity to bond with relevant NPCs all the time... that relationships can be strained without it being the PC's fault... and that the sacrifice of relationships doesn't bring huge advantages anyway...

... how would you guys feel if I lower the cap at 10-12 for a single charge, and 13+ for two? This way, socially-disadvantaged PCs like Ami still have a significant chance to fail, but don't need absurdly high rolls to succeed either. Their efforts to socialize can still be rewarded without having to resort to magic.

AmberVael
2012-03-01, 06:58 PM
The change in probability is quite drastic, really, even with just that two point change.

-Assuming the target number is 12, a person with 3 in Social would have only about a 30% chance of success.
-Assuming the target number is 10, a person with 3 in Social would have a 60% chance of success.
-Meanwhile, to use Akiko as an example, shifting from 12 to 10, changes her 30% failure rate to about an 8% failure rate, and increases her chance of two charges by a whopping 30%.

To change the base target number from 12 to 10 almost ensures that anyone who uses Bond will succeed, except for those with the lowest score. Of course, keeping it at 12 means that anyone with a 3 has almost no chance of bonding.

Honestly, the more I look into the real probabilities of the system, the more I question the wisdom of basing the system around 2d6. There is too high of a probability fluctuation, as there is very little space around which to base degrees of success- a character is either constantly succeeding, or constantly failing.

I don't mind changing the target number of bond, but just keep in mind that you'll basically be changing its use more towards a roleplay restriction than a probability restriction for everyone else. I don't think this is a bad thing though, as it rewards good roleplay and real relationship development over continual attempts and tosses of the dice.

Lykan
2012-03-01, 07:00 PM
... how would you guys feel if I lower the cap at 10-12 for a single charge, and 13+ for two? This way, socially-disadvantaged PCs like Ami still have a significant chance to fail, but don't need absurdly high rolls to succeed either. Their efforts to socialize can still be rewarded without having to resort to magic.

I am for it since Amaya is just as socially awkward.

Incidently! Amaya's gonna try her hand at the whole bonding business now:

Akiko: [roll0]
Ami: [roll1]

smuchmuch
2012-03-01, 07:24 PM
I'm cool with it.

I will however remind that those who took a low social attribute did so at the benefit off having higher scores in attributes with more direct benefits, and it does feel slightly normal you'd pay a price on that.
But having characters bonding or not on a simple dice roll alway felt kinda questionable to me no matter the game so frankly, I'd be alright if you decided if you decided to get rid entirely of dice throwing to reach a single charge and based entirely on roleplay.

And I should probably post. (for a character who is supposed to be sociable, Tsukaka sure doesn't communicate that much.)

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-01, 07:26 PM
The change in probability is quite drastic, really, even with just that two point change.

-Assuming the target number is 12, a person with 3 in Social would have only about a 30% chance of success.
-Assuming the target number is 10, a person with 3 in Social would have a 60% chance of success.
-Meanwhile, to use Akiko as an example, shifting from 12 to 10, changes her 30% failure rate to about an 8% failure rate, and increases her chance of two charges by a whopping 30%.

To change the base target number from 12 to 10 almost ensures that anyone who uses Bond will succeed, except for those with the lowest score. Of course, keeping it at 12 means that anyone with a 3 has almost no chance of bonding.
Thanks for the calculation.
Yeah, that's a high bonus for a 2-charge success. Should I keep that cap at 15+?

Honestly, the more I look into the real probabilities of the system, the more I question the wisdom of basing the system around 2d6. There is too high of a probability fluctuation, as there is very little space around which to base degrees of success- a character is either constantly succeeding, or constantly failing.

That is a valid criticism, but alas, it's not something I can change, and I doubt this is something the creator would change too. At least, there's the possibility of using alternative attributes with a little creativity and risk-taking.

I don't mind changing the target number of bond, but just keep in mind that you'll basically be changing its use more towards a roleplay restriction than a probability restriction for everyone else. I don't think this is a bad thing though, as it rewards good roleplay and real relationship development over continual attempts and tosses of the dice.

That's the intention. I feel it's unfair that, right now, the dice are punishing Ami (and her player DeafnotDumb), even though:
- she already faces difficulties communicating, which impacts all of her actions (or close enough)
- she is in a situation where it would probably be easier for her to go solo IC instead of sticking with people she hardly knows
- she managed to make another character start learning sign language just so they could interact better (character development!)
I'm sure this won't be the only time such a situation will come up where I would otherwise be forced to say "well, both of you are obviously becoming friends, but the character with Social 3 somehow can't consider the other as an important person in their life yet, because the dice are not amazingly generous, and haven't been since the game started, and we're reaching the end of the third Episode already". With my suggested change, mechanics can match characterization, and still allow for the occasional bout of "sorry, this time, your relationship isn't getting stronger, you can blame the mood/awkwardness/exhaustion for that, things should go better next time".

EDIT:

I'm cool with it.

I will point out that those who took a low social attribute did so at the benefit off having higher scores in attributes with more direct benefits, and it does feel somehat normal you'd pay a price on that.
But having characters bonding or not on a simple dice roll alway felt kinda questionable to me no matter the game so frankly, I'd be alright if you decided if you decided to get rid entirely of dice throwing to reach a single charge and based entirely on roleplay.
That'd be be another argument for keeping the upper cap at 15+. That way, all characters have a reasonable chance to bond normally, but sociable characters (who sacrificed other characteristics in order to have a high Social) still have a chance to make an "exceptional success" and get twice the charge.
(Because, let's be frank, it's unfair to punish characters with a high Social after character creation, given the general uselessness of this stat.)
How about it?

Ecksdee
2012-03-01, 07:38 PM
I'm fine with whatever is decided. I actually need to go back and read up on Bonds and such some more. My memory is a little fuzzy.

AmberVael
2012-03-01, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the calculation.
Yeah, that's a high bonus for a 2-charge success. Should I keep that cap at 15+?

I'm not sure. If you keep it too high, it devalues having a very high social score, because even with something like a 5, it will be really easy to form social relationships, but even with a 7, the odds will be against you for benefiting from that higher score.

I might push it up to 14, but I don't think I'd make it 15.

That is a valid criticism, but alas, it's not something I can change, and I doubt this is something the creator would change too. At least, there's the possibility of using alternative attributes with a little creativity and risk-taking.
Yeah. I'm mostly just making observations as this is a new and in progress system, and it's handy to think of things like this when trying out a new system, or critiquing one.

Anyway, I do think the system is a bit wacky as is- Bond does seem much more like a roleplay thing...

An idea comes to mind.

The first part echoes Smuchmuch- Don't have any rolls at all.

However, rather than making it entirely roleplay, your social score determines a number of automatic charges you gain each session or episode or whatever. Whenever you have the opportunity, you can spend these charges to form new relationships, or remove strain from ones you already have. And maybe a high score can let you spend two at once from a single interaction.

I don't think I'd make your social score directly equal the number of charges you'd get per session, but you could make a chart or something for it.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-02, 05:27 AM
I
Anyway, I do think the system is a bit wacky as is- Bond does seem much more like a roleplay thing...

An idea comes to mind.

However, rather than making it entirely roleplay, your social score determines a number of automatic charges you gain each session or episode or whatever. Whenever you have the opportunity, you can spend these charges to form new relationships, or remove strain from ones you already have. And maybe a high score can let you spend two at once from a single interaction.

I don't think I'd make your social score directly equal the number of charges you'd get per session, but you could make a chart or something for it.

Hm... why not? It wouldn't really match the way the other mechanics work, but it IS the fairest rule we've come up with yet.
It's gonna require me quite a bit more work than just shifting caps around though. Until I'm done with such a chart, I declare that the cap for getting one charge is 10-13, and two charges, 14+. This is a temporary fix.
It applies retroactively (so Ami's rolls are successes).

AmberVael
2012-03-02, 08:27 AM
Mm, there is a bit of difference with the rest of the system, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Different mechanics need different handling, after all.

I definitely understand that it would take time to figure out how to properly implement, so using the temporary fix at least for now is fine by me. While I like my fix, I'd really understand using the other system for the rest of the game, just because it'll be hard to determine what an appropriate number of charges is without some experience.

Anyway! The current fix means Akiko gets two charges on each of her rolls, so she can actually remove a point of strain on each of her new relationships.

Oh, and about my latest post- I normally wouldn't kind of declare something like "Akiko is actually in front" but given that my post before that did state that she'd go ahead and start walking, I don't think it is really presumptuous.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-02, 09:06 AM
Mm, there is a bit of difference with the rest of the system, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Different mechanics need different handling, after all.
Sure!
It may just be a little jarring. But I take a little surprise anytime over a rule that ignores roleplay and efforts.

I definitely understand that it would take time to figure out how to properly implement, so using the temporary fix at least for now is fine by me. While I like my fix, I'd really understand using the other system for the rest of the game, just because it'll be hard to determine what an appropriate number of charges is without some experience.
Yes, the bad news is that I'm not just going to make calculation to make a working chart, but also observe how things are working in-game. Like you say, experience. That's gonna take time. For all I know, I won't be able to come up with a functional chart before the end of the campaign.

Thank you for your input, everyone!

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-02, 05:03 PM
Ami's portait (http://i.imgur.com/YSsYL.png) is completed at last! No, I can't draw violins. :smallsmile:

Ecksdee
2012-03-02, 05:18 PM
Cute! All your pics have been really boss, Musashi. :3

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-02, 05:23 PM
Thanks! I'm experimenting with a slightly different style there, I might do the same with the next portaits...

DeafnotDumb
2012-03-02, 07:00 PM
The way the scarf covers her mouth and 'mutes' Ami is genius, I feel. It's preeeeeetty damn good artistically but it's also a wonderful character design to boot.

(The hand and arm holding the Volin bow does look odd, though. I think maybe it should have been drawn the other way around, especially with the difficulty of drawing fingers in general...)

Lykan
2012-03-02, 08:50 PM
I don't know why but in my head I imagined everyone with longer hair. I blame anime. :smalltongue:

Also, really good picture. The scarf is neat. =3

smuchmuch
2012-03-02, 10:21 PM
I liked the other style better personaly but the mysterious girl look is very nice.
(On a pure art plan, the arms sems a bit thin, no ?)

(Because, let's be frank, it's unfair to punish characters with a high Social after character creation, given the general uselessness of this stat.)

(Well I figure it's also the stats to lie, be diplomatic and generaly bluff (although I suppose cool is a posisbility too ?) . Wich probably isn't particulary usefull against Youma but can be usefull when interacting with other persons.)

(Well maybe keeping the possibilities of rolls for some situation bit point is, it shoudln't the main factor on weither the relationship loose or fails.)

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-03, 05:52 AM
The way the scarf covers her mouth and 'mutes' Ami is genius, I feel. It's preeeeeetty damn good artistically but it's also a wonderful character design to boot.

(The hand and arm holding the Volin bow does look odd, though. I think maybe it should have been drawn the other way around, especially with the difficulty of drawing fingers in general...)
Thanks! That was the intended feel, glad you like it. :smallredface:

(Yeah, I tried drawing the violin, then figured I was going to spend as much time on it as on the rest of the costume. I didn't mask that part properly, sorry about that.)

I don't know why but in my head I imagined everyone with longer hair. I blame anime. :smalltongue:

Also, really good picture. The scarf is neat. =3

Ahah, I also do that, that's why I try giving more love to short hair, especially when a girl is tomboy-ish or doesn't seem like she'd like spending a lot of time on her hair. "Gothic lolita" does bring long hair in mind, but I'm not fond of randomly changing the length of a MG's hair in their transformed state. :smallwink:

Lykan
2012-03-04, 01:56 AM
Given the sudden halt in posting it might be a good idea for a scene change...

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-04, 03:55 AM
Thought as much, but I'm still waiting for smuchmuch's third social link. There's gonna be less exposition and more actions (and people?), which may involve relationships.
(Smuchmuch, if you did post your third social link, sorry for missing it, and could you post it again?
If you haven't posted it yet, could you at least post the attribute, a name and a short description, like "Magic relationship, Ms. Randomexample, saw magic"? You're allowed to work on the details later.)

smuchmuch
2012-03-04, 11:24 AM
(You didn't miss it. I hadn't posted anything because I wasn't sure what to put. Sorry
Tsukaka is new around here (couple of week, tops), hasn't (understandbaly) been in a happy outreaching mood and knew nothing about magic.
So I'm was stumped at what kind of relations she could have made at this point.)

karaoke club(and Hana by extension) (heart)

One evening Tsuakaka was feeling rather low and not like going back home, she ropped by Hana to go in the karaoke club. The distraction was more than welcome, and the afternnon turned out to be a rather good one (what tsukaak doesn't have in straight up singign talent she make up in enthusisam and complete inability to realsie she has no sense of rythm whatsoever.)
She hasn't officialy joined the club yet but is considering it, seeing as she had fun.

Willt do for a social link ?

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-04, 04:53 PM
Very good, thanks!
Next scene coming up tonight. Social link chart, tomorrow, hopefully.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-05, 05:06 PM
Before I can finish the social chart, I just need to know what attributes correspond to the new relationships. As they stand, they could be either Heart or Magic (maybe Fury if you justify it well). :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2012-03-05, 10:05 PM
If you're referring to the ones formed at the beginning of the episode, I've updated my first post with the information. Going with Magic for Ami, and Fury for Amaya (battle camaraderie is the idea. Might change though).

Lykan
2012-03-05, 10:52 PM
I imagine Amaya's relationship with Ami would currently be magic-oriented.

I should probably go and put Amaya's relationship stuff in her character post...

DeafnotDumb
2012-03-06, 04:59 AM
The relationship with Amaya would be Magic, I feel.

Also, the next two weeks are going to be pretty busy for me, so expect a rather reduced posting rate. Thanks.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-08, 10:25 AM
... beside DeafnotDumb's priorities, everyone still in? :smalleek:

AmberVael
2012-03-08, 10:41 AM
I'm definitely still here! I'll try and get up a post to keep things moving.

Edit: Post! Yay for angry angst! Angrst!

Ecksdee
2012-03-08, 01:04 PM
I'm here! I was just waiting for others to post before I did.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-08, 01:08 PM
Alright, I'm reassured. :smallsmile:

Lykan
2012-03-08, 02:16 PM
I'm here too. I just wasn't sure what to post. Sorry. :smalleek:

AmberVael
2012-03-12, 08:54 AM
If you guys don't post, Akiko is going to kill all the youma and get all the oblivion seeds. :smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-12, 09:11 AM
Which might not be a good idea.
:smallamused:
Or maybe it is?

Lykan
2012-03-16, 04:16 PM
I'm working under the assumption that everyone just came downstairs because otherwise Amaya would probably be freaking out about leaving Ami alone where she could be ambushed and eaten by a wandering youma. <.<

smuchmuch
2012-03-16, 05:11 PM
I was though that Akiko went downstairs followed by Amaya and sakado while tsukaka and Ami where still on the first floor, personaly
(I did say tsukaka ws talking tot he other magical girl and aiming at the plastic block though the hole in the floor) but I guess the latest posts make more sense if everyone is a the same level.

Mono Vertigo
2012-03-22, 05:24 AM
DeafnotDumb? I know you warned you'd be busy, but I wanted to know if you were still there. If you're still too busy, would you give me authorization to control Ami until you're ready to play again? I'm not going to do much with her, only move her along.

smuchmuch
2012-04-06, 04:49 PM
Hello. just wanted to say, that starting tomorow and for a week or so (till the 14 at least), I'll be away from my usual computer. Normaly it should still have a semi regular acces to internet at least, so it shouldn't be a problem, but just in case, though I'd tell.

edit: All right. seems I have a semi stable internet connection, so it shouod be okay.

AmberVael
2012-04-13, 07:09 AM
Musashi, I think you've got the rules a bit wrong for damage and overcharge.

The rules are this: You roll your attack, and any overcharge you incur on the attack roll adds +2 to damage (see page 16). So rolling a 6 for damage won't add to damage (well, at least through adding more dice or extra numbers. A 6 is pretty good on its own).

You don't incur overcharge or gain extra dice or damage for rolling a 6 on your damage roll.

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-13, 07:21 AM
*checks again*
Turns out you're right, I mixed up what rolls gave extra damage. Thanks for telling me, off to edit!

(Embarrassingly, I had also interpreted at first the content of page 13 as saying that while rolling 6s for calculating damage doesn't give extra dice, it does give Overcharge.
Which seems to actually be wrong now I'm rereading it thoroughly, as it says the same goes when normal attributes are involved, and these ones obviously don't give the risk of Overcharge.
TL;DR: must reread the whole .pdf someday.)

AmberVael
2012-04-16, 02:29 PM
Okay, edited in my full post. Akiko takes a ton of damage, but barely survives and gets a good shot in at Aino in retaliation.

Edit bump-

Aino can't choose to clash. You can only clash if you have yet to act in a given turn, and Aino has been going first each turn, since Akiko purposefully held to go after her.

smuchmuch
2012-04-16, 03:24 PM
i'm half tempted to have Tsukaka use sorcery to cheat in favor of Akiko at this point by distracting aino with a small illusion (that'd pretty in character for her) but I'm not sure if she would know that she can use sorcery without transforming a this point.

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-16, 05:29 PM
Okay, edited in my full post. Akiko takes a ton of damage, but barely survives and gets a good shot in at Aino in retaliation.

Edit bump-

Aino can't choose to clash. You can only clash if you have yet to act in a given turn, and Aino has been going first each turn, since Akiko purposefully held to go after her.
It's still the same round?
*checks again*
Right again. *facepalm*
I'm gonna ask for your permission to take a few days off that session (no more, I promise). The last few days were very busy, they still will be, and the end result's that I overestimated my ability to remember the rules. Posts will be edited and virtual dice rerolled once I'm done rereading the rules calmly.

Ecksdee
2012-04-20, 01:48 AM
I'm still here everyone. :D Just... slow. And I'm having surgery tomorrow so bleeeh.

Lykan
2012-04-20, 02:05 AM
Ech, that sucks. I hope it goes well. :smalleek:

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-20, 10:58 AM
Good luck, Ecksdee! Get better soon. :smallfrown:
Still kinda busy right now, but I'll be back in action very, very soon. Thanks for your patience!

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-22, 04:51 AM
I'm back! Most of my RL priorities are behind me now. :smallsmile:
I've also decided making one post per round so I won't confuse myself as easily.

AmberVael
2012-04-22, 08:42 AM
I feel pretty bad to greet your return by responding to you with another correction, but...

With a 16 on her defense, Aino ties with Akiko, who had rolled a 16 on her attack. As such, the tie is broken by determining who has the higher base Attribute- which is Akiko, with her 9 attack, not Aino, with her 6 defense.
(The rule on ties is the Opposed and Unopposed Challenges section, page 13).

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-22, 01:10 PM
I feel pretty bad to greet your return by responding to you with another correction, but...

With a 16 on her defense, Aino ties with Akiko, who had rolled a 16 on her attack. As such, the tie is broken by determining who has the higher base Attribute- which is Akiko, with her 9 attack, not Aino, with her 6 defense.
(The rule on ties is the Opposed and Unopposed Challenges section, page 13).

... didn't reread the rules that thoroughly, I guess. :smallfrown:
*facepalms again* Now, I'm certain I'm a mediocre GM, but at least, I got good and attentive players, so...
Gonna fix that after lunch.

In my defense, I wish the rules were organized better. Small reminders like "as usual, ties are broken by highest base attributes" would help the easily distracted like me. Ugh, even that is a bad defense.

AmberVael
2012-04-22, 01:19 PM
Aw, don't be so hard on yourself.

It's a new system, and it is not laid out all that well. What is more, you'd been running the game's mechanics fine up until this point.

But even more importantly, the story is where the real wealth of a roleplaying game lies, and I've been highly enjoying the events of this game so far. Maybe you've been slipping up a bit on the mechanical side, but I still think you're a very good GM. :smallsmile:

Lykan
2012-04-22, 01:35 PM
I concur wholeheartedly. This is probably the best game I've been in in a long time. :smallbiggrin:

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-22, 04:19 PM
Aww, thanks! It's very motivating reading that. I'll do my best to make the rest of that game at fun as it's been so far, if no more. :smallredface:

Okay, so the good news for you is that very little had to be rectified, and the actions stay the same.
The bad news for Akiko is that very little had to be rectified, and the actions stay the same. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, Aino is still standing.

AmberVael
2012-04-22, 05:51 PM
Okay, Akiko got hit and lost all her resolve, and I've edited in the rest of the post.

Winning the fight was not entirely the point for her, though she did really want to. While Aino wanted to sacrifice the relationship, Akiko wants to try and further it, so she's going to make a bond roll if Aino reacts positively. Otherwise, she'll probably get mad and go punch suspiciously turtle shaped things.

[roll0]

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-26, 01:21 PM
Gah! Apologies for the late reply, the subscription list didn't show me that you had posted, Vael, and I didn't think about manually checking until tonight. :smalleek:

AmberVael
2012-04-27, 10:45 AM
How did I know this was going to happen? Of course, Akiko gets through the fight juuuust fine, and it is only when reviving herself that she starts getting into Overcharge territory.

Well, lets see how it goes down.

Here's her extra overcharge roll, just in case it is a six... [roll0]
In case that IS a six, here's another. It'd better not be though. [roll1]

In any case, Akiko does recover 1d6+6 resolve.
[roll2]
(Luckily the resolve roll doesn't incur overcharge...)

Okay, so she has two fury overcharge, one from the basic Revive move cost, one from her 6 on the roll.

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-27, 12:16 PM
At least, that Revive roll was worth it. :smallwink:
And there's still Mai with her healing powers. In hindsight, it was a good idea keeping her around and available like that.

AmberVael
2012-04-27, 12:25 PM
A higher roll doesn't help Akiko at all. So long as she is in magical girl form, she'll regenerate to 13 resolve every time due to her Regenerate effect, and she actually can't get a Revive result above that. No matter what she rolled, it would have just taken a little bit longer to do it, and I don't think she is pressed for time right now. :smallfrown:

In short, all this roll did was give her more overcharge.

Lykan
2012-04-27, 12:27 PM
There an Izanagi and Izanami street in Tokyo? What, do they meet up at the Yomi junction? :smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-27, 02:20 PM
A higher roll doesn't help Akiko at all. So long as she is in magical girl form, she'll regenerate to 13 resolve every time due to her Regenerate effect, and she actually can't get a Revive result above that. No matter what she rolled, it would have just taken a little bit longer to do it, and I don't think she is pressed for time right now. :smallfrown:

In short, all this roll did was give her more overcharge.
Good point. Would be helpful, though, if a youma randomly popped up just now though...
... who am I kidding, there's no youma just yet. :smallyuk:

There an Izanagi and Izanami street in Tokyo? What, do they meet up at the Yomi junction? :smalltongue:
Shush you, I don't have time to research real minor locations am taking artistic license. :smalltongue:

smuchmuch
2012-04-27, 04:20 PM
Shush you, I don't have time to research real minor locations am taking artistic license.

I am uterly shocked.

....Tokyo is a real place ?! My whole world is shattered.
Honestly I think you can dispense with most of the research, I think we'll put up its somehow.

So seeing as Deafnotdumb hasn't given sign of life over here but has been somewhat active in another game I happen to be reading, maybe it wouldn't be too rude at this point to send a PM to see if (s)he intend to come back to this game (and if not, at least make it official) ?

Lykan
2012-04-27, 04:55 PM
I actually already did earlier today. They should be back here soon assuming things at school are going well.

DeafnotDumb
2012-04-27, 05:58 PM
I'd take Youma over exams any day. I shall try and see if I will have the time, but real life has infruiating complications sometimes. Apologies for the silence.

Mono Vertigo
2012-04-28, 02:15 AM
Thanks for taking measures before I did.
DeafnotDumb, glad to hear you're alright! Hope you don't mind the way I've played Ami until now.

smuchmuch
2012-05-01, 05:51 PM
As far as I know, you don't automatically regain resolve over time- sacrificing relationships is the only way to regain it. Akiko isn't interested in sacrificing what she worked so hard to gain though, so she is going to use another option.

(Looking a the rules, I don't any thing about it either (might have missed it, though). I guess it's coherent with the dark tone of the game and the idea of trying to progressively but inivitably doom the characters. It does seem like it really give a huge advantage to regeneration.

Since we've already talked about changing the bonding system a bit and the rule have been written in the ideas of short episodic games rather than a smai long game like PBp cwould be, maybe we could make it so that resolve can be occasionaly regained when it make sense roleplay wise ?)

Or I suppose we could keep it that way, and use the revive move a lot ?

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-02, 04:43 AM
For the time being, there is the possibility of going to see Mai. Now, what are the obvious drawbacks to having to see her?
- while she's at the hospital, she can't just be visited anytime
- she has to use the Sorcery moves with all the possible problems it implies
- nobody can be certain she'll always be available, willing, or able
- there's the risk of healing less resolve with Healer than she would if she had Healing Touch.

There is also Ami, who has Healing Touch. The current problems are the following:
- its use is limited
- it automatically gives Overcharge (which is why, while I'm controlling her, I don't want to use this power yet; when DeafnotDumb comes back, the last thing I want to say is some variant of "oh, though you had to take a hiatus for reasons beyond your control, I punished your character by willingly giving her metric tons of Overcharge, whoops!".)
So that means Ami will become an option only when her player comes back.

Plus, well, there are relations.
- strengthening/making one can be long and difficult, especially when they don't involve other PCs
- uses are also limited
- ideally, relations shouldn't all be sacrificed for healing (because they have other uses and limit the worst effects of Overcharge... nobody wants to turn into a youma because they sacrificed all their relationships to survive).

So, what should I do about resolve?
For the time being, I'm not changing anything. While there are few support/healer PC, many have the potential for a strong offense, and can presumably handle most fights without much trouble, thanks to sheer superior firepower. If I find that complete loss of resolve becomes a recurrent event, then I will either find a more reliable IC way to heal, or opt for the proposition to regain resolve when it makes sense.

Is everyone fine with that ruling? As smuchmuch pointed out, I feel it is thematically suiting to have to watch for your resolve. For the most self-sacrificing of your characters, you might consider taking Healing Touch when you level up and spread Overcharge carefully among your stats.

AmberVael
2012-05-02, 09:03 AM
There is also Ami, who has Healing Touch. The current problems are the following:
- its use is limited
- it automatically gives Overcharge (which is why, while I'm controlling her, I don't want to use this power yet; when DeafnotDumb comes back, the last thing I want to say is some variant of "oh, though you had to take a hiatus for reasons beyond your control, I punished your character by willingly giving her metric tons of Overcharge, whoops!".)
So that means Ami will become an option only when her player comes back.

Healing Touch does automatically give overcharge. However, you take one overcharge to one attribute of your choice. And it requires no magical attribute roll.

Also note that you can automatically remove a single overcharge (and I'm pretty sure that is one overcharge for each attribute) at the end of a scene with no fallout, and that overcharge and fallout are calculated separately for each ability

As such, while Healing Touch does present overcharge concerns in combat, where you will need to use your magical attributes repeatedly and may take overcharge on them, outside of combat it is far less risky, and you can easily use it up to its limit of twice per scene without ever suffering from fallout- especially if you're slapping most of that overcharge on your lowest attribute.

Frankly, given that it can be used to heal other people and heals a notable amount of resolve per use, and can heal up to your maximum resolve, I'm inclined to think Healing Touch far outpowers Regeneration- Regeneration's advantage is that it is somewhat safer and requires no real action to use, but its cost is that it is slow, cannot fully heal you, and can't heal anyone else.

I've thought about this, can you tell? I've really been thinking Akiko might pick up Healing Touch. :smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-02, 10:58 AM
Again, good points. :smallwink:
Maybe I'll let Ami do some healing after all. The only argument I therefore have against it is that I don't really like controlling PCs to that extent when the player is supposed to come back, but it's a personal and irrational issue.

smuchmuch
2012-05-02, 10:58 AM
For the time being, there is the possibility of going to see Mai.

(I didn't mention her on purpose because I'm not sure why but I get the feeling she's not going to be raound for very long.)

Is everyone fine with that ruling? As smuchmuch pointed out, I feel it is thematically suiting to have to watch for your resolve. For the most self-sacrificing of your characters, you might consider taking Healing Touch when you level up and spread Overcharge carefully among your stats.

Seems fair enough

Maybe I'll let Ami do some healing after all. The only argument I therefore have against it is that I don't really like controlling PCs to that extent when the player is supposed to come back, but it's a personal and irrational issue.

Not really. In my experience, most Dm don't like thaking control of charactrs even when the players isn't due to comme back.
(And I understand I once had to take control of 4 ex Pcs to keep a game going till we could introduce newly recruited character into the storry (and I wasn't even the dm), it felt horribly akward. Mind you game died anyway so it was pointless as well, yay.)

I think it's part because people don't like Dmpcs (they feel it's too easy to make them take thje spotlight if you aren't watching it, (personaly i like active and present NPcs rather than absent one, but that's just me) and part because people feel they might deraill the characters.

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-02, 11:02 AM
(I didn't mention her on purpose because I'm not sure why but I get the feeling she's not going to be raound for very long.)

Of course she'll leave eventually.
*shifty look*
Or will she?
Maybe.
Maybe not.

EDIT: I changed my last post, Ami's now proposing to heal Akiko.

Lykan
2012-05-09, 12:46 AM
I will eternally curse the subscription system for not alerting me to new posts. >.<

Lykan
2012-05-16, 04:39 AM
Alright, I kinda derped the roll in the thread so let's try it again here.

Locate Youma: 2d6+7

Also to note, I'm gonna be on vacation for a week so posting may be sparse. So, guys, please post while I'm away. The game has slown to a rather distressing crawl and I for one would like to see it concluded with us all in tow.

EDIT: For goodness sake... Okay, I've screwed this up like six times now. Can you do it, Musashi? I need to retreat to my corner of shame.

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-16, 05:44 AM
[roll0]
You're welcome. :smallwink:

smuchmuch
2012-05-16, 12:01 PM
I have finals this month, (and a few other things that are keeping me busy) While that doesn't stop me for taking a few minutes to check out the thread it does hamper my ability to post quite a bit.
but truth be told, I've alway been a slow poster and for that I apologise. I'm going to try to post today.

I understand the need to advance the game but I would have apreciated a chance a chance to talk a bit to the NPcs present, though (I realise it's my fault for not posting earlier, my bad. Intended to post yesterday, ended up too tired for that. Oh well.).

Also, I'd like to know: Are we rolling for bonding or not ? (I remember it was mentioned of making it roleplay dependant but Lykan just in her second to last post rolled, so I am confused.

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-16, 03:17 PM
Alright, I'll modify a bit the latest post so you have one last chance to interact with them.
You choose whenever you wish to bond with someone, so you roll if you want (remember, 10+ is a simple success, 14+ gives you two charges).

smuchmuch
2012-05-16, 10:51 PM
Thanks.
(Probably better not to spilt the party if we're going to advance the game along, though. Unless there's oemeone else who got tot he karaoke ?).

Probably going to try to make a light bond with Ren before they go, though. Tsukaka has 8 social so she's supposed to ahve the knack to make friends rather easily (lucky girl.)

Ecksdee
2012-05-22, 01:50 AM
Sorry for being so slow. Wish notifications worked all the time. :(

AmberVael
2012-05-29, 01:20 PM
Sorry for the slow posting from me recently, I'm going to try and speed back up. Just felt kinda uninspired.

Also, here is a locate roll for Akiko, not that I expect a passing result.

[roll0]

Edit: Well... okay then.

Mono Vertigo
2012-05-29, 04:06 PM
I hope that what's going to happen will help you find inspiration. :smallsmile:
(Also, friendly notice: from the 2nd of June to the 14th, I'll be mostly, or even completely, Internet-less, so this game will be put on a short hiatus. Don't fear, I will be back afterwards!)

AmberVael
2012-06-07, 05:28 PM
Akiko is gonna try and light the place up- I wanna see if her magic succeeds before posting.
[roll0]
Okay, it works, but it won't be subtle (but it's not like it could be subtle...)