PDA

View Full Version : First Cthulu d20 game

Calanon
2011-11-22, 06:50 PM
As the title says. Tonight is my friends birthday and he wants us to all visit his house and play a game of Cthulu d20* with him. Now this is my first time playing this game and from what I've heard of it I should expect to be mind ****ed by a giant tentacle monster of sorts :smalleek:

BUT! None the less I still wanna go since its my first time playing I want to know what I should seriously expect in this game

*Not exactly sure that is the games name

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-22, 07:04 PM
well yeah. expect to die. I found Improved Initiative is one of the best feats ever, due to the fact that you can choose to shoot first, or run away before all of your party-mates. The running away bit is most important, because most weapons won't pierce the DR of the mind-shattering creatures you are fighting anyway.

vitkiraven
2011-11-22, 08:03 PM
As a DM that likes to use Call of Cthulhu d20, my recommendation is to blind yourself (yourself, not your character:smallbiggrin:), have the fastest movement rate, increase you initiative, and know where all ther characters are around you at all times.
Remember, you can go through allies spaces. Remember, as was said before, you just have to run faster than your slowest ally. Never go anywhere alone, never trust anyone that has been alone, never trust anyone who seems friendly, never trust librarians, never trust fishermen. Stay away from gold, stay away from relatives, stay away from caves, inner cities, woods, sewers, and any place dark. Weird news is bad, and should not be investigated.
That might keep you alive for a few minutes. :smallbiggrin:

comicshorse
2011-11-22, 08:06 PM
Cthulhu is set in our world (albeit probably in the 1920's). As such the police will respond to the killing ( even of weirdo's engaged in suspicious looking activities) by throwing the perpertrators in jail for the rest of their natural lives.
Cthulhu is a game of investigation and detective work, be prepared to think and problem solve.
Cthulhu is a game of horror, be prepared ( although its far from gauranteed) for your character to die horribly or go permanetly insane.
So ......just have fun with it

Calanon
2011-11-23, 12:20 AM
I died... :smalleek: Eaten by what can only be called a Psudonatural creature :smallfrown: I lasted about an hour and a half though but that was alright I suppose :smallbiggrin: Had LOTS of fun... we got a TPK felt like Silent Hill up in this place definately wanna do it again :smallbiggrin:

Madcrafter
2011-11-23, 01:05 AM
I looked at the Cthulu games once. They seemed like they would be a lot of fun (though extremely lethal). I think I lost a few points of SAN just from reading the books though. My group doesn't really want to try them either unfortunately.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-23, 02:34 AM
Cthulhu is set in our world (albeit probably in the 1920's). As such the police will respond to the killing ( even of weirdo's engaged in suspicious looking activities) by throwing the perpertrators in jail for the rest of their natural lives.
Cthulhu is a game of investigation and detective work, be prepared to think and problem solve.
Cthulhu is a game of horror, be prepared ( although its far from gauranteed) for your character to die horribly or go permanetly insane.
So ......just have fun with it

the 1920's is only one setting. CoC D20 also provides a fair amount for modern settings, which I actually prefer. plus, the 1920's modules are easily converted.

vitkiraven
2011-11-23, 03:15 AM
the 1920's is only one setting. CoC D20 also provides a fair amount for modern settings, which I actually prefer. plus, the 1920's modules are easily converted.

And, if you look around online, you can even find a medieval equivalent for the Cthulhu base system for the Dark ages, and the d20 book had conversion notes for using it in fantasy, so now your Hexblade can really be uttering dark profane curses, and your Ranger can develop a fear of squids.
:smallbiggrin: