PDA

View Full Version : The eternal conundrum,,

Dragonsoul
2011-11-22, 07:28 PM
Is it wrong to make an encounter based solely on a terrible pun?

Notable things
Rolling Beholder trap
Faeries with irresistible dance(A Save or Dio)
An entire combination of Otto's irresistible dance and Summon undead, in order to force your party to recreate Thriller.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 07:32 PM
Is it wrong to make an encounter based solely on a terrible pun?

As long as your group can take a joke (and understands it) and aren't all super serious then go for it.

Reprimand
2011-11-22, 07:33 PM
The thriller idea sounds pretty epic I might steal that.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-22, 07:38 PM
Encounter? Heck, I've built entire Campaigns around puns...

Psyren
2011-11-22, 07:39 PM
Bonus points if you slowly fade in the song once the combo goes off, until one of your players makes the connection.

Dragonsoul
2011-11-22, 07:46 PM
In a previous campaign I had the Bard/Barbarian Gestalt be forced to dance to Caramellendansan.(Though in future I may elect to be with "Everyday I'm shufflin'")

nedz
2011-11-22, 07:57 PM
... An entire combination of Otto's irresistible dance and Summon undead, in order to force your party to recreate Thriller.

So a high level party encounter a bunch of spell-stitched zombies. I might steal this one :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2011-11-22, 07:58 PM
"Everyday I'm shufflin'"

That song is for zombies.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-22, 08:05 PM
Zombie Jamboree... you know you gotta play it

JaronK
2011-11-22, 08:05 PM
I built a Shadowrun adventure that was entirely based on Scooby Doo. The players didn't even get it (they never actually caught the guy, and in fact never figured out that the "ghosts" haunting the place was just a mage trying to scare them off the property so he could buy the place cheap and get access to the mana line in the basement).

JaronK

Dragonsoul
2011-11-22, 08:07 PM

Hmmm, how about if I change the song and combine it with a trip monk called Chumbawamba?

Psyren
2011-11-22, 09:15 PM

Or warforged (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJWA3Vo6TU)

Ravens_cry
2011-11-22, 09:17 PM
Hmmm, how about if I change the song and combine it with a trip monk called Chumbawamba?
And a Bard who uses drums improvised from empty containers.
Tubthumping.

ShriekingDrake
2011-11-22, 11:44 PM
It would be a shame not to use puns from time to time. It's even more fun when the players only get the pun days, weeks, months, or even years later. We've had that happen in one of our groups.

sonofzeal
2011-11-22, 11:49 PM
A previous campaign revolved around attempting to prevent the resurrection of a dead/sealed Yuan-Ti god (or prevent it bodily coming to this plane, I forget which).

We failed... and then there were Snakes on a (prime material) Plane.

Dragonsoul
2011-11-23, 05:53 AM
A previous campaign revolved around attempting to prevent the resurrection of a dead/sealed Yuan-Ti god (or prevent it bodily coming to this plane, I forget which).

We failed... and then there were Snakes on a (prime material) Plane.

Hell, my cosmology has an entire paraelemental plane of Cobras and Samuel L Jackson,

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-11-24, 12:20 AM
Encounter? Heck, I've built entire Campaigns around puns...Win _____________

Ravens_cry
2011-11-24, 09:52 AM
So . . . Xanth: The Role Playing Game?
I shudder at the thought.

sonofzeal
2011-11-24, 05:54 PM
So . . . Xanth: The Role Playing Game?
I shudder at the thought.
Somehow, I always manage to misread "Xanth" as "Zearth" (http://bionicbong.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bokurano.jpg). Even their obligatory cute magical sidekick has too many teeth... (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/261/bokurano51.jpg/) *shudders*

Toliudar
2011-11-24, 07:40 PM
I built a Shadowrun adventure that was entirely based on Scooby Doo. The players didn't even get it (they never actually caught the guy, and in fact never figured out that the "ghosts" haunting the place was just a mage trying to scare them off the property so he could buy the place cheap and get access to the mana line in the basement).

JaronK

Highlight of my day, right there! Thanks!

Elric VIII
2011-11-24, 08:18 PM
I once had an encounter based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The Displacer Beast that taunted them and disappeared while following them went right over their heads, but they caught on when they fought a Monstrous Centipede Wizard that used fog spells.