PDA

View Full Version : Office prank ideas needed!

WarKitty
2011-11-22, 07:37 PM
Ok folks, I need some ideas for office pranks. All the department grad student offices have the same key around here. There are 3 people to an office. My victim's office space consists of a desk, computer, several drawers, and a chair. Textbooks or his briefcase are also valid targets, as is the mailbox.

My first one (last night) involved stealing his keyboard and taping bits of fake fur to each key. I am expecting retaliation shortly.

Rules for pranks:

(1) The obvious - no permanent destruction of property.
(2) Since these are shared spaces that have to be used for office hours with students, nothing that would irritate the other users overmuch.
(3) Try to stay classy. Geeky is good. Just remember it's grad school - chances are if someone would have thought it a good prank in the high school locker room, it's not going to go over well.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-22, 07:41 PM
Do you have any allies? What resources do you have?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 07:42 PM
How many bouncy balls are you willing to buy?

Traab
2011-11-22, 07:44 PM
Do they have tiled drop ceilings? If so, you can setup a big old box of styrofoam chips in the ceiling and a fishing line wire to pull the tile out from above him. Takes a bit of setup, but can be a lot of fun if done properly. He sits down, you pull the wire, and he is now covered in a million bits of styrofoam.

WarKitty
2011-11-22, 07:49 PM
Do you have any allies? What resources do you have?

Allies could probably be found, although screening for traitors could be hard. As far as resources, not a whole lot. I can spend a few dollars for anything that can be gotten fairly easily.

Unfortunately it's not a drop ceiling. I do want to be careful about stuff that makes a mess of the whole office rather than just one area - these offices are used for meetings with our students.

Seffbasilisk
2011-11-22, 07:53 PM
Hey Kitty, have you thought about prying up his QWERTY keyboard, and re-arranging it in ABCDEF style?

WarKitty
2011-11-22, 07:54 PM
Hey Kitty, have you thought about prying up his QWERTY keyboard, and re-arranging it in ABCDEF style?

Not sure I could do that without permanent damage. It's a desktop keyboard and not a laptop, so I'm not even sure if they come apart.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 08:01 PM
Take a random pen, attach googley eyes to it, and stick a small sign saying "Hello, My Name is Penny" to it, and put it on the desk.

Put a pile of cookies on his desk. Next day, put a glass of milk. Next day, put a glass of white craft glue. :smallwink:

Lady Moreta
2011-11-22, 08:01 PM
One prank that I've heard of, which has always struck me as hilarious is to unplug the mouse and keyboard from the computer and plug them into your own machine - so when he types, nothing happens and then you can open programs and type strange messages to your heart's content.

Possibly use wireless ones plugged in to make it less obvious or something. Of course, in this day and age, he'd probably figure it out fairly fast, but should generate a nice :smalleek: reaction at first :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2011-11-22, 08:02 PM
One prank that I've heard of, which has always struck me as hilarious is to unplug the mouse and keyboard from the computer and plug them into your own machine - so when he types, nothing happens and then you can open programs and type strange messages to your heart's content.

Possibly use wireless ones plugged in to make it less obvious or something. Of course, in this day and age, he'd probably figure it out fairly fast, but should generate a nice :smalleek: reaction at first :smallbiggrin:

I'm several doors down...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 08:03 PM
In that vein, screenshot his desktop, then move all of his shortcuts away or delete them, make your screenshot his desktop picture, and then minimize the start button.

WarKitty
2011-11-22, 08:04 PM
Take a random pen, attach googley eyes to it, and stick a small sign saying "Hello, My Name is Penny" to it, and put it on the desk.

Put a pile of cookies on his desk. Next day, put a glass of milk. Next day, put a glass of white craft glue. :smallwink:

Not bad. Though leaving a random cookie might confuse him just figuring out what I did to it...

In that vein, screenshot his desktop, then move all of his shortcuts away or delete them, make your screenshot his desktop picture, and then minimize the start button.

He does have a password. I checked already.

blackfox
2011-11-22, 08:11 PM
Take a random pen, attach googley eyes to it, and stick a small sign saying "Hello, My Name is Penny" to it, and put it on the desk. In this vein... you can get a package of googley eyes for less than $5, IIRC? And then use masking tape to attach them to everything that could POSSIBLY be turned into a face. This one worked wonders on my freshman housemates. Especially put them in places he won't see immediately; then he notices them days, weeks, or (if you're really good) months later. Similar things can be done with post-it notes, although the post-it thing works better if you have all of the post-it notes and cover the walls with them. It works even better if you use his post-it notes.

Seffbasilisk
2011-11-22, 08:23 PM
Desktop keyboards you can pry up the keys without permanent damage using a butter knife or similar pry tool.

Go typical, and wait 'till he sleeps to staple his tie to the desk.

Woopie Cushion on his chair.

Grease his chair bearings.

Remove the height peg from his chair.

Some window computers you can turn the monitor display upside down...

hobbitkniver
2011-11-22, 08:23 PM
http://prankked.com/index.php/pranks/the-soy-sauce-surprise/

I'll just leave this here.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 08:28 PM
http://prankked.com/index.php/pranks/the-soy-sauce-surprise/

I'll just leave this here.

Once, put a bunch of hot sauce in a can of coke. Offered it to a friend. She takes a HUGE gulp, puts the can down, and freezes and goes COMPLETELY PALE: she's never been able to deal with spice.

Cue second friend coming in "Oh, you have a coke!" *drinks*
She also freezes, and goes completely pale: the two worst people at dealing with spice in the school.

Our history teacher was not amused, but the rest of the class was, especially when the two came in no less than 20 minutes later, after trying to drink all the water in the city.

Pheehelm
2011-11-22, 08:29 PM
Pick up a copy of The Joy of Work, by Scott Adams. It has a whole chapter on office pranks.

A few that may fit your criteria:

"Start a rumor that a rat has been seen in the office. Get a bag of chocolate sprinkles, the kind used for ice cream. Leave some chocolate sprinkles on your victim's desk, next to some paper that appears to have been gnawed. Tape a toy mouse to your victim's phone receiver, but tucked under so it can't be seen easily. When your victim enters his cubicle and sees the droppings, before he can examine them carefully, call his number."

"We phoned [an employee's] home during the workday, and when her answering machine answered, we conferenced the call to her work number. Needless to say, she was COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT that her answering machine had CALLED HER AT WORK."

"Get one of those greeting cards with a music chip that plays an annoying song over and over. Remove the music chip. Sew it into the chair seat of your victim. Or place it above a ceiling tile over the victim's desk. The music should be loud enough to be heard but too faint to be easily located."

Coidzor
2011-11-22, 08:30 PM
Well, there's always getting him to think he has a secret admirer. And if you're really feeling heartless, actually corresponding with him under false pretenses and an assumed identity and getting him to go on a blind date with someone, especially if you set up a dating profile for the express purpose of getting someone who'd agree to go on a date with him.

Once, put a bunch of hot sauce in a can of coke. Offered it to a friend. She takes a HUGE gulp, puts the can down, and freezes and goes COMPLETELY PALE: she's never been able to deal with spice.

Cue second friend coming in "Oh, you have a coke!" *drinks*
She also freezes, and goes completely pale: the two worst people at dealing with spice in the school.

Our history teacher was not amused, but the rest of the class was, especially when the two came in no less than 20 minutes later, after trying to drink all the water in the city.

weird. All the sugar in coke defangs most spicy things. What'd you use, the kind of concentrate you're not actually capable of eating so you have to dilute it in a gallon of butter to make buffalo sauce?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 08:36 PM
It was just the super-spicy sauce the local mom and pop pizza place has with their pizza, which is SOOOOOOOO spicy. Like, even I struggle with that spice. And, of all the non-Indian kids I know, and even of most of the Indian kids, I'm the best at spice.
And we just put whatever we didn't eat on the pizza inside the can. It turned the coke a little red, but when it's in a can you don't notice.
I didn't try it, so I don't know how spicy it really was, but I bet it didn't taste very good, spice regardless. And these are two girls who freak out over the tiniest bit of spice...

bluewind95
2011-11-22, 08:38 PM
Ehhh, I'd be careful with the soy sauce. The amount of sodium in those things is impressive and could be harmful.

The stuff Pheehelm said, though... I agree with that! Especially the greeting card thing! Or the mouse thing!

Pika...
2011-11-22, 09:03 PM
Self explanatory:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/ivymlegner/stapler.jpg

Starscream
2011-11-22, 10:12 PM
Do you have optical mice on your computers?

I used to do this one all the time. Stick a piece of transparent scotch tape to the bottom of the mouse. If it's clear enough (use the kind that calls itself "invisible" if possible), it will slightly inhibit the functionality without totally screwing it up. The mouse will be just a little less responsive when moving it.

Each day add another piece of tape. This will gradually increase the opacity blocking the light, and make the mouse work worse and worse. See how many days you can go before the victim notices.

This prank is great because it is subtle and gradual. And frustrating. After a few days (my record is six, but that was a very dim coworker), the cumulative effect will have them tearing their hair out.

For extra fun, start making tally marks on a nearby whiteboard each day. Do not tell anyone what you are counting. When the individual finally figures it out, write "Days it took (coworker's name) to just turn over their mouse and see why it wasn't working". Add some snarkily appropriate comment about how your company employs the best minds in the country.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-22, 10:15 PM
Wrap his monitor in an entire roll of transparent shipping tape? If it's one of those big clunky box monitors, it'll be totally harmless - those things are close to indestructible versus anything short of a baseball bat. Might hurt a flatscreen/LCD monitor though.

Coidzor
2011-11-22, 11:11 PM
Hmm... Gift-wrap his monitor, keyboard, and mouse while they're all still connected?

If you get back from Thanksgiving earlier, you may be able to flood his desk with hand turkeys.

Oh, do you know if he's vegan or anything? Decorating the desk with a bunch of decidedly non-vegan Little Debbie Christmas tree snack cakes would be thematic for December. maybe even as part of a 12 days buildup.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-22, 11:15 PM
Place a piece of paper saying "10" on his desk.
Each day, reduce it one more. "9" "8" "7" etc.
the day after "1", don't do anything.
The day after the day after "1", say "That was the countdown to the day when I don't give you a piece of paper".

also: Stick a sticky note to his monitor saying "You might want to check your computer hard-drive... verrrrrrry carefully. Is there something missing? :smallwink:"

Only don't take anything.

Zain
2011-11-22, 11:19 PM
Mashmellow based inter cubical combat?

SamBurke
2011-11-22, 11:37 PM
Mashmellow based inter cubical combat?

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKnF26qFFM)requires its prescence in this thread.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-23, 03:37 AM
Put an "Out of Order" sign on all the vending machines. See who falls for it.

Mikhailangelo
2011-11-23, 04:54 AM
http://27bslash6.com/f26a.html

Some inspiration

GrlumpTheElder
2011-11-23, 07:29 AM
Take his mouse, make a jelly, stick his mouse in the jelly, wait for it to set. Return mouse in Jelly to his desk.

Protip - Keep the cable out of the jelly so you can plug it back in.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-23, 08:24 AM
Take his mouse, make a jelly, stick his mouse in the jelly, wait for it to set. Return mouse in Jelly to his desk.

Sorry, this might be a colloquialism that's not readily apparent to me. Make a jelly? All I'm thinking is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which doesn't quite make sense.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-23, 08:32 AM

Then ask him. "You Jelly?"

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-23, 08:33 AM
Sorry, this might be a colloquialism that's not readily apparent to me. Make a jelly? All I'm thinking is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which doesn't quite make sense.

Well, wikipedia says there are a lot more uses of the word jelly than that See here for examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly)

As a fellow Brit, I suspect Grlump was talking about the second entry on their list (which does actually make sense)

Deth Muncher
2011-11-23, 08:37 AM
Well, wikipedia says there are a lot more uses of the word jelly than that See here for examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly)

As a fellow Brit, I suspect Grlump was talking about the second entry on their list (which does actually make sense)

Ooooooh oh oh. Okay. Yeah, here in 'Murrca we've generified the word to Jell-o, after the brand. That makes this prank make so much more sense, and is now hilarious to me. Please do this.

EDIT: Also what Glyphstone said.

Karoht
2011-11-23, 10:49 AM
Then ask him. "You Jelly?"Award yourself an internet!

Okay, pranks.

Office Chair. Remove one of the Rollers. Just one. The chair will still balance just fine. Until the person sits down in it and it moves a bit awkwardly. Or just unbolt the cushion from the frame. Warning, it can be difficult to reattach the seat too the frame depending on the bolts in question.

Take a load of the junk faxes you get out of the paper recycling bin. Grab a few official looking documents as well if you can find some. Leave in a large pile on the desk with a sticky note on top that says "filing" or something equally appropriate. Potentially make use of the in/out box in a similarly veined fashion. The more people you can do this to, and the more official looking you can make it, the better. You may need to recruit some people to 'complain' that the boss is giving people junk work to do (IE-Filing) and seemingly at random.

Replace all of their pens with feathers. You can get big fluffy looking feathers at a craft store for cheap. Leave a memo on the desk explaining where to find ink wells.

A co-worker of mine likes to leave things lying around like mugs, keys, or cell phone. Carefully collect these items during bathroom breaks and the like. Hide them. Never anywhere the item could be easily damaged, and potentially in an obvious spot that they'll glance at often. My personal favorite was the day I collected 9 cell phones and left them all on top of the water cooler. People walk past the cooler pretty often, they didn't think much of it.
If their car keys have remote alarm buttons, set them off. Especially if the car is within view or earshot of the office.
If you want to be really devious, use some tape to affix the phone somewhere. The underside of a desk or chair works. Phone the phone randomly, but never more than one ring, and phone back to it randomly. Props if you can hide person A's phone under person B's desk. Consider turning down the ringer to nearly mute but still audiable.

Grab a kids watch for cheap, or a bunch of them for cheap, and set the alarms on them to go off randomly throughout the day. Tape to desks, chairs, cubicle panels, ceiling.
947, 1017, 1128, 1215, 1245, 1326, 1404, 1526. Don't ask me why, but these are all times people just happen to look at their watches.

Remember folks, office pranking is psychological warfare. It's far more interesting if they don't know who did it, and if/when the prankster will strike again. Ensure that you have more than enough time so you don't get caught. Stay after hours or show up early if needed. Also, whenever possible, try to pin it on your boss.

Archonic Energy
2011-11-24, 06:03 AM
put a small piece of clear tape over the pickup button on his phone so when he picks up his phone it keeps ringing... until he figures it out.

rearange the keyboard to DVORAK (prying off keys on a desktop keyboard doesn't damage them... though the dirt under a keyboard has been known to cause SAN damage)

Sir Enigma
2011-11-24, 07:06 PM
rearange the keyboard to DVORAK (prying off keys on a desktop keyboard doesn't damage them... though the dirt under a keyboard has been known to cause SAN damage)

Better is just to swap the M and N keys - takes much longer to figure out. Someone in my office did it and it took the guy the whole morning and drove him nuts.

Trixie
2011-11-25, 08:05 AM
I wonder, am I the only one who doesn't think most of these are even funny? :smallconfused:

Seriously, disrupting the work of others and damaging office property is something that should end in reprimand, at least, if not pay docking, unless the work you guys do is something so worthless you're basically being paid for nothing, in which case please send me the address so I can sell that business a nice bridge in Alabama.

Karoht
2011-11-25, 09:41 AM
I wonder, am I the only one who doesn't think most of these are even funny? :smallconfused:Meh. People have differing ideas about humor.

Seriously, disrupting the work of othersYes, because the whole 60 seconds to 5 minutes that someone might lose is just so mission critical.

and damaging office property is something that should end in reprimand, at least, if not pay dockingTotally agree, but common sense says that any prank where stuff gets broken is usually undesireable.

unless the work you guys do is something so worthless you're basically being paid for nothingNice to meet you too. So what do you do for a living?

Choco
2011-11-25, 10:10 AM
One that I have used myself to GREAT effect:

Annoy-a-tron (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/?itm=annoy_a_tron&rkgid=274593751&cpg=oggdgt1&source=google_gadgets&gclid=CIHi4a6H0qwCFUaCtgodMzdVrA)

I hid one on the inside of this guy's cubicle light and it annoyed him for a full week before some of our other co-workers found it for him. One time I walked by and he was sitting under his desk waiting for a beep, it was so hard to not burst out laughing :smallamused: (there were actually about 15 people in earshot of the beeping, including myself, but watching the target flip out over a week overrode any annoyance the beeping caused, and every time a beep was heard so was a bunch of chuckles :smallbiggrin:)

One that I want to try one day:

Liquid ASS (http://www.liquidass.com/store/liquid-ass-spray.html)

Oh, and I did this to someone once too: She left her computer unlocked so I went in there, created a folder named <self-censored due to breaking forum rules> on her desktop, took a screenshot, then deleted the folder and set the screenshot as the background. I finally confessed when she was ready to go to IT with it thinking she had a virus. She punched me in the head like 3 times. It was totally worth it :smallbiggrin: (for the record we were good friends before, during, AND after the incident, I would not suggest doing something like this to anyone who you are not good friends with).

Let's just say that damn am I happy that I am among the first people here in the morning, I got plenty of time to mess around with people...

Also, one of my co-workers has done the following:

Taped down (using transparent tape) EVERYTHING in this guy's office while he was on vacation. He came back and tried to move a pile of papers out of the way, only to have it resist him :smallbiggrin:

Moved around all the furniture in another guy's office before he got in one morning. He walked into his office, looked around, and kept on walking thinking he accidentally go the wrong one. This guy then got revenge by getting the "big boss" of our whole department to chew out the guy that did the re-arranging and threaten to fire him if he ever does it again, and after a few minutes of that finally admitted it was a joke.

Put tape on the mice of ppl who still use ball mice, and taped small pieces of paper to the electronic ones, to stop them from working. I caught on right away cause I've done that to people before, but others destroyed their mice in rage. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: some more ideas

As others have suggested: If people in your office still use those old-school keyboards with the pop-out keys, find the people who are "2 finger typists" and have to look with each key press. Then pop out and re-arrange the keys on their keyboard. I did that to my dad once, and it was quite amusing.

Change the regional/keyboard settings on their computers. Lots of fun to be had with that.

And the best, and most EVIL, for last:

Write a script/batch file that gives the computer shutdown commands. Place this file in the Startup directory. Now every time the computer boots up, this script will run and it will shut down. Don't do this unless you know how to make it stop.

truemane
2011-11-25, 10:10 AM
My favourite is to go into their word processing program and make a manual entry in their auto-correct dictionary. Choose something nice and simple, like the word 'the' and tell Word (or whatever) to chance it to something foolish, like 'pickle.'

Most people have no idea what's happening or how to fix it.

Another one I did was, my manager had the his screensaver set to Marguee, the text being the company name. So I changed it to the company name cut and pasted several times, with enough spaces in between for it to look like it was scrolling across regularly, yeah?

And in the middle I put something ominous, like "Big Brother is Watching" or whatever. It was weeks before it was noticed. Good fun.

Karoht
2011-11-25, 11:00 AM
Oh autocorrect shenanigans. *sigh* Just so many gems of potential.

Part of why people like pranks at works is... it's work. Work sucks. Pranks make the work environment a bit more fun for a few moments.

When I worked at a bank, I was a frontline teller. However, most of the ladies who were also on that line with me thought I was their personal tech support guy. And like all tech support guys, I had to suffer the usual schtick of "didn't I show you how to do this last week, and the week before, and the week before, and back during your intial training."

So one day this girl was having issues. I walked over, gave her a phoney diagnosis of the issue, and said I had to go 'ping the server.' And off I went. To the breakroom.
Now, to be fair, I left her up there with two other tellers, the line wasn't very big, so it didn't create much of an issue.
Well, after going to the breakroom, I ended up being given another task (which was far better than babysitting a dullard of a coworker), and completely forgot about her until the end of the day.

The next day I got called into the office of the teller manager. She asks me what my opinion is of the training level this person received. I explained what happend. My boss then turns around and explains that this person sat there for 6 hours in front of a perfectly working terminal, and didn't bother to ask for help from anyone else. She explains that the person was fired. I felt pretty crappy about that, right until I walked into her in the breakroom. They'd turned my prank into a prank on me.

No really, she did stand there for 6 hours, did nothing, got paid for it, and kept her job, with management's encouragement to prank me in return.

What do you think she asked me about the day after? Same issue.

Long story short.
Pranks are not a good way to indicate to management that someone is incompetant or downright stupid, as management is likely to focus more on either getting the joke, or not getting the joke.

bluewind95
2011-11-25, 11:52 AM
I wonder, am I the only one who doesn't think most of these are even funny? :smallconfused:

Seriously, disrupting the work of others and damaging office property is something that should end in reprimand, at least, if not pay docking, unless the work you guys do is something so worthless you're basically being paid for nothing, in which case please send me the address so I can sell that business a nice bridge in Alabama.

I wouldn't find them funny if some random person did them to me. But if it's someone friendly from work... and of course, depending on the general atmosphere of the work environment... it'd be worth a few laughs.

Unless you're working at a hospital where people could DIE from taking a second too much at your work, a small amount of disruption of work is not critical. (I wish my employers past actually, you know, UNDERSTOOD that instead of forcing me to work 12+ hours and weekends of 18+ hours and...) It can also, with the laughter and all, help alleviate some of the stress of work.

Also I don't think anyone is advocating the damage of office property. :smallconfused: I think that's specifically what the OP said they didn't want.

WarKitty
2011-11-25, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't find them funny if some random person did them to me. But if it's someone friendly from work... and of course, depending on the general atmosphere of the work environment... it'd be worth a few laughs.

Unless you're working at a hospital where people could DIE from taking a second too much at your work, a small amount of disruption of work is not critical. (I wish my employers past actually, you know, UNDERSTOOD that instead of forcing me to work 12+ hours and weekends of 18+ hours and...) It can also, with the laughter and all, help alleviate some of the stress of work.

Also I don't think anyone is advocating the damage of office property. :smallconfused: I think that's specifically what the OP said they didn't want.

And this is grad school work, which means there's no set work hours, just "get your work done sometime". Like, I do most of my work on Saturday and Sunday. So not being able to get to something right this second is not going to be an issue. I am being careful to ensure that the office is useable for office hours, and to not annoy his office-mates too much.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-25, 02:38 PM
Maybe substitute some sort of mannequin for him, letting him find the mannequin 'hard at work' at his desk.

Of course, bringing that sort of thing into an office environment, you'll have to expect it to be used against you and/or others further down the line...

WarKitty
2011-11-25, 02:51 PM
Maybe substitute some sort of mannequin for him, letting him find the mannequin 'hard at work' at his desk.

Of course, bringing that sort of thing into an office environment, you'll have to expect it to be used against you and/or others further down the line...

The general consensus seems to be that I've started something I can't finish. I intend to prove that wrong.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-25, 03:38 PM
Fair enough, but now that I think about it further, you'll need to properly dress the mannequin I suggested for the part- just in case this hadn't already occurred to you.

Elder Tsofu
2011-11-25, 04:16 PM
Part of why people like pranks at works is... it's work. Work sucks. Pranks make the work environment a bit more fun for a few moments.

We usually have too much to do to waste time on pranks, especially since it would affect the customers (longer waiting times, errors due to stress from now faulty equipment), and in extension the business. If our competence wasn't so valuable the prankster would be out on his/her ears for wasting company resources. As it is I might get away with maybe 2 pranks like the ones mentioned above. If I played it well.

But if you and your workmates got nothing to do, sure why not? There are jobs like that too, so it could be fun if it didn't affect the actual work.

What do you think she asked me about the day after? Same issue.

Well, you never did explain it did you?

---

I think it was mentioned earlier, but leaving an object on their desk every day (perhaps the same, possibly changing with meaning or completely random, possibly edible) might be a fun and harmless mind-trick as long as you're not found out.

super dark33
2011-11-25, 04:43 PM
Have you ever heard of the Jarate?
the basic concept is pee in a jar tossed at somone.
since jars breack and slash the skin, i advise you to take some eggs, make little holes in them, put somthing smelly or disgusting inside and toss at the enemy!

The hot-salty techniqe is great.
get a cake and a glass of coffe.
Salt in the coffe and hot spices in the cake.
put a nice note near the plate and the fun begins:

Victim: awwww, somone left me a cake and coffe and a nice little note.
*eats cake* ARRRGH ITS HOT! *drinks coffe, to get rid of the spicyness* AARGH ITS SALTY!

watch and laugh

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-25, 05:09 PM
The hot-salty techniqe is great.
get a cake and a glass of coffe.
Salt in the coffe and hot spices in the cake.
put a nice note near the plate and the fun begins:

Victim: awwww, somone left me a cake and coffe and a nice little note.
*eats cake* ARRRGH ITS HOT! *drinks coffe, to get rid of the spicyness* AARGH ITS SALTY!

watch and laugh

Nah, this works best if you give them delicious cake and coffee the day before.

sennieL
2011-11-26, 02:05 AM
http://27bslash6.com/f26a.html

Some inspiration

Thanks for sharing this.

Trog
2011-11-26, 11:29 AM
I worked at one of those places where everyone had a cubicle office with those high walls (think Dilbert). One day a coworker got pranked for his birthday. A few other guys had gotten a large bundle of crushed and strapped together cardboard from one of those industrial cardboard crushing machines. They hauled it up and wedged it in his cubicle opening. He had to climb over the walls of his cubicle all day until someone would help him remove the thing. :smallamused:

This prank was in response to this person using white-out to censor another coworker's keyboard (they were very much a hunt & peck person). A little warning though, it ruined the keyboard, apparently. Something about all the scrapings getting down into the keys and making some of them not work.

Gaius Marius
2011-11-26, 11:46 AM
I have to second the Annoy-a-tron. I was going to suggest it. But be warned that it borders on psychological guerilla warfare.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-26, 11:48 AM
I have to second the Annoy-a-tron. I was going to suggest it. But be warned that it borders on psychological guerilla warfare.

Are you speaking from experience here?

And if so, were you responsible or on the receiving end?

Gaius Marius
2011-11-26, 03:43 PM
Are you speaking from experience here?

And if so, were you responsible or on the receiving end?

I was a bystander. If you let it endure more than 4 days, I'd deem it against the geneva convention.

Karoht
2011-11-28, 11:19 AM
Annoy-a-tron christmas ornaments.
Totally worth every penny. Especially when one panicky idiot decided that he thought the tree was about to have an electrical fire, and rather than unplug the tree like a smart person, grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher and made a mess.
I wish I hadn't been on holiday that week. :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2011-11-29, 01:03 PM
So I got in from class today to find that my desk had been turned upside-down and plastic-wrapped. I'm thinking my coworker's desk may be moving into the women's room in the next day or two. Or possibly the lounge, if it won't fit in the women's room door. But I think it will.

Karoht
2011-11-29, 01:12 PM
Take his chair and tape it to the hood of his car. Carefully, don't scratch the paint. I recommend a pad of cardboard underneath.
Surprisingly difficult to accomplish, remarkably funny reactions to watch.

WarKitty
2011-11-29, 01:32 PM
Take his chair and tape it to the hood of his car. Carefully, don't scratch the paint. I recommend a pad of cardboard underneath.
Surprisingly difficult to accomplish, remarkably funny reactions to watch.

he doesn't own a car. Now, if I could get it on the ceiling...

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-29, 01:42 PM
he doesn't own a car. Now, if I could get it on the ceiling...

Don't bother with that, if things get really out of hand, just leave a sign on his desk saying "reserved for new employee"

Miklus
2011-11-29, 02:06 PM
"Start a rumor that a rat has been seen in the office. Get a bag of chocolate sprinkles, the kind used for ice cream. Leave some chocolate sprinkles on your victim's desk, next to some paper that appears to have been gnawed. Tape a toy mouse to your victim's phone receiver, but tucked under so it can't be seen easily. When your victim enters his cubicle and sees the droppings, before he can examine them carefully, call his number."

LOLLLLLLLLL! Go with this one.

toughluck
2011-12-01, 06:20 AM
One prank which works suprisingly well is to cover the signal pins in the mouse USB port.

The trick is to cover the two inside pins in the USB plug. Some mice have ground shorted with the metal shroud, so you can also cover the ground pin (looking from the front, with the plastic tab on the bottom, it's the leftmost one). The trick is to leave voltage running to the mouse so that sensor light is still on, but it doesn't move or accept clicks.

Depending on how invisible you want the effect to be and how difficult removal you want to make, use scotch tape, clear nail polish or cyanoacrylic glue (super glue). It's hard to notice, so if you just want to frustrate somebody for a few minutes, and make it easy to remove, use scotch tape, and stick some of it out. The tape will adhere as soon as you push the plug into the socket.

Nail polish is more difficult to pull, since it needs a few minutes to set, but it's much harder to remove. To remove it, you'll need nail polish remover (vanilla -- not perfumed, not skin care, or you'll need alcohol to remove the residue). If you're really evil, use super glue, and plug it in before it sets...

madtinker
2011-12-02, 11:03 PM
My all time favorite prank, though not on office mates, was when I substituted a picture of Beaker the Muppet for one of the old men in the Emeritus Faculty display case. It took the administration three weeks to find it, but was enjoyed by all observant passers by.

blackfox
2011-12-02, 11:55 PM
My all time favorite prank, though not on office mates, was when I substituted a picture of Beaker the Muppet for one of the old men in the Emeritus Faculty display case. It took the administration three weeks to find it, but was enjoyed by all observant passers by.Ahhhhh that's fantastic. I should do that to the set of photos of CS dep't chairs.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-12-04, 04:26 PM
Ahhhhh that's fantastic. I should do that to the set of photos of CS dep't chairs.

Oh my god, we should team up and prank the entire campus.

Wyntonian
2011-12-04, 09:10 PM
I walked out to my car the other day and found it covered in alpaca poo. My friend, who lives next door to our school, was sitting there in a lawn chair. He owns a dozen or so alpacas. Mortal combat ensued.

Moral: Unless you'd cool with being royally beat down with your own supplies of alpaca poo, don't go with this option. Alternatively, dung and run, don't stick around.

Balain
2011-12-06, 04:21 PM
One time me and a coworker took another co-worker's coffee mug and hid it somewhere in the office. In it's place we left a poem we made up about coffee mugs with clues where she could find her mug.

One time we also switcher her m and n key on her keyboard.

One time I removed the ball from a co-workers mouse (now a days I guess you could put tape over the sensor on the mouse)

Starwulf
2011-12-07, 05:13 PM
Just make sure you don't harm an individuals property in the pursuance of the prank. I worked a frozen warehouse when I was younger, and some idiot decided it would be hilariously funny to soak my Bucket Hat with water and hide it in the freezer. It ruined my hat and I beat the living hell out of him for it(and not in a friendly sort of way). Then a week later, with a replacement hat, some other idiot decided to take my hat, pay 1.50 for a sandwich in the vending machine, and stuff my hat into the vending machine. I took him to the supervisor and made him pay to get my damn hat back out.

The Succubus
2011-12-08, 07:20 AM
Just make sure you don't harm an individuals property in the pursuance of the prank. I worked a frozen warehouse when I was younger, and some idiot decided it would be hilariously funny to soak my Bucket Hat with water and hide it in the freezer. It ruined my hat and I beat the living hell out of him for it(and not in a friendly sort of way). Then a week later, with a replacement hat, some other idiot decided to take my hat, pay 1.50 for a sandwich in the vending machine, and stuff my hat into the vending machine. I took him to the supervisor and made him pay to get my damn hat back out.

Never mess with the hat. :smallannoyed:

The Unborne
2011-12-08, 07:25 AM
I read grad students, so I'm assuming you guys are pretty close to each other. Close enough to edit each other's works as my colleagues do. This is what you do: next time you edit put pictures of anything humorous around their paper that is easily recognizable and fixed with a simple click of backspace. Always good for a laugh.

Castaras
2011-12-08, 07:27 AM
My all time favorite prank, though not on office mates, was when I substituted a picture of Beaker the Muppet for one of the old men in the Emeritus Faculty display case. It took the administration three weeks to find it, but was enjoyed by all observant passers by.

Must... find... way... to do this! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2011-12-09, 08:09 AM
not sure if it's been said already but...buy cellophane wrap... and wrap his entire office with it.
also, buy a cutter, put it in a transparent plastic box (or glass jar).place it somewhere in plain sight..and and cello-wrap the hell out of that too.
ideally, if you can, you should cellophane-wrap his door whilst he's inside, unwrapping his stapler, keyboard and so on.
also, you can make strategically placed "water bubbles" in the cellophane wrap..meaning he has to be extra careful and can't just rip it all apart.
the more creative you get the harder it will be for him to unwrap, or even find, his junk.
with enough support and allies you could use cellophane wrap to effectively rearrange his entire office (at least the lighter bits) sideways, on a wall.. or hanging from the ceiling.

alternatively, have a few leaflets printed..advertising free stuff.. to be found in his office.. that way you'll have people coming in at just about any hour, asking him..or calling him on the phone, for whatever you will have come up with.
(this reminds me of several years ago, when I had a phone number that used to belong to a convent... we would receive several calls from old biddies looking for Sister Whatever... to talk about religious issues or confess or just for moral support... at any time of day and night.
for some time it was so bad I actually started to tell those ladies that the new number was.... *insert home number of whoever had pissed me off the previous day*)

super dark33
2011-12-09, 05:20 PM
More pranks:

Put an empty bucket on a door, so it will look like a bucket-trap.
placei t obviously so he can spot it.

Put a small plastic container with jarate inside in front of the door.

Put the hot-salty Prank i mentioned earlier on his desk.

switch his M and N keys on the keyboard.
loosen som of the screws in his chair.

you got yourself an ultimate prank.

Script:
Victim:lalala walking to the office...
*Sees Bucket*
Victim:i see what you did there. you wont get a laugh at me!
*steps on jarate*
Victim:Yuck! what is this! ewwwwww...
*goes to desk, sees a cake and a note*
Victim: *hot salty ensues, and while trembeling in a chair, it loosens some of its hold, either will break now or later*
Victim tries to write, gets crazy with the MN keys, and by his anger movements, the chair breaks if it didnt earlier.