PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Breath Weapons

OMG PONIES
2011-11-22, 10:31 PM
I know there are spells somewhere that affect the caster's existing breath weapon, but I can't seem to find them. Can my fellow playgrounders share a list of the good ones? I think there was an "Enervating Breath" somewhere...can I get a source on that and a list of other good "breath spells?"

On a semi-related note, are there any ways for a Dragonfire Adept to apply Quicken Breath to her breath weapon that DO NOT include Dragon magazine or the dragonborn template? I've run both of them by my DM, and he's said "no."

Tvtyrant
2011-11-22, 10:39 PM
There is breath Admixture, which is a spell in the Dracomonicon if I recall. This acts like energy admixture, doubling the damage done but half is of a different energy form.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-22, 10:40 PM
All the breath spells are in Draconomicon. Animate breath, blinding breath, breath flare, enervating breath...

tyckspoon
2011-11-22, 10:46 PM
Most of them were reprinted and corrected in Spell Compendium as well (the Draconomicon ones were printed with 'instantaneous' duration, which RAW makes it a permanent change to your breath. Spell Comp made them 'next breath', IIRC.)

Treblain
2011-11-23, 12:16 AM
On a semi-related note, are there any ways for a Dragonfire Adept to apply Quicken Breath to her breath weapon that DO NOT include Dragon magazine or the dragonborn template? I've run both of them by my DM, and he's said "no."

What was the DM's logic for saying no? The dragonborn method works for anything with a breath weapon, so you could find some other way of getting a second breath weapon with a recharge. If your DM said no to it because he didn't like you qualifying for metabreath feats with one breath and using it with your at-will breath, then I don't know.

Ask your DM if you can voluntarily put a standard dragon's recharge time on your DFA breath weapon, if you want metabreath feats badly enough that you are willing.

Igneel
2011-11-23, 12:57 AM
I know there are spells somewhere that affect the caster's existing breath weapon, but I can't seem to find them. Can my fellow playgrounders share a list of the good ones? I think there was an "Enervating Breath" somewhere...can I get a source on that and a list of other good "breath spells?"

Draconomicon/Spell Compendium as mentioned already, along with a not really outstanding "Breath weapon Teleportation" spell in Dragon Magic I remember... [8d6? fire, SR: Yes/Ref for half, teleport anywhere within breath weapon cone if not cancelled out]

Not including the Dragon magazine feat, and/or Dragonborn template there is always grabbing the Metabolic Fire graft [56k gp, Races of the Dragon pg 129] which gives you a 6d8 breath weapon that can be either a 30ft cone or 60ft line with a 1d4 recharge. This is one of my favorite ways without sounding 'cheap' since I'm out of 56k gp.
While your at it, have a look at the Crown of the North Wind [70k gp, Dragons of Faerun pg 126] which allows you to change any of your energy damaging breath weapons into one of the secondary breaths of Metallic dragons [Acid=Slow, Fire=Sleep or Weakening, Cold=Paralyzing, Electricity=Repulsion] for some additional crowd-control with Entangling Exhalation.

OMG PONIES
2011-11-23, 07:04 AM
What was the DM's logic for saying no? The dragonborn method works for anything with a breath weapon, so you could find some other way of getting a second breath weapon with a recharge. If your DM said no to it because he didn't like you qualifying for metabreath feats with one breath and using it with your at-will breath, then I don't know.

He doesn't want to allow Dragon Magazine or templates.

Draconomicon/Spell Compendium as mentioned already, along with a not really outstanding "Breath weapon Teleportation" spell in Dragon Magic I remember... [8d6? fire, SR: Yes/Ref for half, teleport anywhere within breath weapon cone if not cancelled out]

Not including the Dragon magazine feat, and/or Dragonborn template there is always grabbing the Metabolic Fire graft [56k gp, Races of the Dragon pg 129] which gives you a 6d8 breath weapon that can be either a 30ft cone or 60ft line with a 1d4 recharge. This is one of my favorite ways without sounding 'cheap' since I'm out of 56k gp.
While your at it, have a look at the Crown of the North Wind [70k gp, Dragons of Faerun pg 126] which allows you to change any of your energy damaging breath weapons into one of the secondary breaths of Metallic dragons [Acid=Slow, Fire=Sleep or Weakening, Cold=Paralyzing, Electricity=Repulsion] for some additional crowd-control with Entangling Exhalation.

Wow, TY!

Torben Raibeart
2011-11-23, 07:33 AM
Spells you say? How about metabreath-feats? Can give fun effects like lingering and clinging, and of cause stuff like maximize and quickened. You can find a havd overview of different metabreath-feats here; http://realmshelps.net/datafind/feats.shtml
Just choose "metabreath" in the left menu, press "find" and enjoy.

Psyren
2011-11-23, 08:15 AM

Do you mean Firestride Exhalation? I loved the picture for that.

Darrin
2011-11-23, 10:19 AM

Try a Mephling (Planar Handbook, LA +1). They start out with a breath weapon 1/day, but at 4 HD they can use it 2/day with a 1d4 round recharge. 10' fly speed (perfect maneuverability) isn't to shabby, either.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-23, 10:23 AM
My favourite breath spell is the animate breath one... really interesting when you use it with the negative level breath from Shadow Dragons :smallamused: