PDA

View Full Version : Swiftblade question

molten_dragon
2011-11-23, 06:29 AM
I'm planning on playing a swiftblade for an upcoming campaign. I'm planning to enter as battle sorcerer 6, and take Abjurant Champion for my last few levels. I should also note that in this campaign we're using a houserule that sorcerers get to add bonus spells due to high charisma to spells known as well as spells per day. This will be important later.

I'm planning to take at least 9 levels of swiftblade, which means that at most I'll have a caster level of 17, and for sorcerer that means no 9th level spells (and before anyone points it out, yes, I'm well aware that this is sub-par from an optimization standpoint, but that is what I'm doing regardless). I'm debating whether or not to take 10th level of swiftblade. I'd get the innervated speed ability, letting me buff up much faster at the beginning of the battle, but at the cost of another caster level. Though I'd still have enough to have 8th level spells. I think it would mean knowing one less 7th and one less 8th level spell, and a couple less spells per day. It would also mean that I couldn't take the 5th level from abjurant champion, but martial arcanist isn't really going to do all that much for me since my CL will be within 1 point of my BAB.

So, which is better in your opinion, taking 10th level of swiftblade or not?

Pilo
2011-11-23, 08:28 AM
I think you should not take the 10 level.

You get something that copy the effect of time stop but time stop prevent you to deal any dammages to your foes. So you can only use it to cast boost on yourself and move (which may be enough for your needs).

molten_dragon
2011-11-23, 08:58 AM
I think you should not take the 10 level.

You get something that copy the effect of time stop but time stop prevent you to deal any dammages to your foes. So you can only use it to cast boost on yourself and move (which may be enough for your needs).

Well, that's actually exactly what I intend to use it for. I'm going to be relying pretty heavily on buffs to be effective in combat, so the ability to get several buffs cast in essentially no time at the beginning of combat is pretty attractive.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 09:15 AM
I think you should take the tenth level as a loredrake dragonwrought kobold with greater draconic right of passage. And hit up two levels of spell dancer. Because hell yes, arcane persist.

stack
2011-11-23, 09:21 AM
You've already lost level 9s, and as you said, the 5th level ability from abjurant champ doesn't help, so just go all the way and finish swiftblade. If you wanted maximum optimization, you would have dropped the class already. Its fun and flavorful, finish it out.

Flickerdart
2011-11-23, 09:33 AM
If you're worried about spells known, drop Battle Sorcerer and pick up Abjurant Champion 5. If you're not, keep it and take Swiftblade 10 instead.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 09:42 AM
More seriously, that 10th level of swiftblade effectively gets you timestop back. Timestop is one of the most important 9th level spells, so it's almost like being a whole character again. ;)

hex0
2011-11-23, 12:36 PM
Fastest Entry is (Trapfinding Class) 5/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade X

Scout is a decent choice because Skirmish messes well with Swiftblade and you can take a bonus feat.

Spellthief is good too because you get some spellcasting to continue after you use up Trapsmith.

My favorite is Trickster Spellthief 7, because you have decent spellcasting and Absorb Spell.

If you can get into Telflammor Shadowlord with cash it will be sweet.

darksolitaire
2011-11-23, 12:59 PM
Fastest Entry is (Trapfinding Class) 5/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade X

How is this faster then Wizard 6? Or Beguiler 4/Fighter 1? Or Loredrake Battle Sorcerer 4?

If you can get into Telflammor Shadowlord with cash it will be sweet.

You still need to be 7th level character to enter TSL, and need 3 levels in it to get haste. Cash only gets you template that can be used to avoid spellcasting requirements.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 05:48 PM
Pretty sure these (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNTNocnFrYjlmcQ&hl=en_US) are the fastest entries.