PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Druid Shapeshifting Question

Karoht
2011-11-23, 11:59 AM
So I've read and re-read the description for Wild Shape and Beast Shape several times now.

One of the creatures I can turn into is a Blink Dog. As special abilities it gets Blink and Quickened Dimension Door. Very nice. However, in no place that I can find in the spell description or the wild shape description does it say that I acquire these abilities if I turn into a Blink Dog. There are other creatures with Breath weapons and I'm not sure if I acquire those either.

I'm pretty sure I don't acquire the abilities, merely the shape and the stat bonuses outlined as per the Beast Shape spell. But I want to be sure and not gimp myself. I remember 3.5 getting into the Cryo-Hydra form was recommended for crazy breath weapon shenanigans. I'm not looking for that per se, I just want to confirm if I do or do not gain any of the abilities of the thing I shift into.

Also, I'm level 9 (caster level 11) if that matters. If anyone wants to recommend a form to me (medium magical creature, large magical creature, medium elemental) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-23, 12:05 PM
You've got it all correct. You don't gain the (Ex), (Sp), or (Su) powers or qualities of a Wildshape form by default, and by default you can only turn into animals (or plants/elementals at higher levels).

Various feats let you change this - for CryoHydra, for instance, you need the Frozen Wildshape feat. Blink Dogs could be replicated with...Magical Beast Wildshape or Exalted Wildshape, I can't remember.

Karoht
2011-11-23, 12:37 PM
Magical Beast Wild Shape sounds like my next feat then. I don't think I took a feat choice this level yet...

This is a Pathfinder only campaign BTW, so I'll have to go looking for that feat or an equivilant.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-23, 01:00 PM
Ah. It doesn't exist in PF. (Might want to change the thread title to [PF] in that case, else you'll keep getting advice tat includes 3.5 material).

Though that makes it simpler, because PF Wildshape is entirely different than 3.5 Wildshape. Now you get a specific set of stat boosts, rather than replacing your physical stats, and choose from an a la carte menu of specific traits and abilities, fluffing your animal shape as whatever is appropriate for the selection of traits you picked.