PDA

View Full Version : Got murdered last game - Advice on two build ideas I have.

Dusto
2011-11-23, 01:36 PM
Hola playground! As the title says, I got straight up murdered last game. I was playing a pretty cool build that Keld previously helped me with, that build is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10909861&postcount=8). One thing I didn't realize is that it also was an illegal build in this campaign since the DM actually goes by the favored class rule. Anywho, I have an opportunity to remake the character and am thinking of moving away from Warblade and trying out a Swordsage. I really like the idea of doing spiked chain and mage slayer and it's leaning me towards dipping a few levels for the feats. I'm hesitant though since xp in this campaign can be sporadic, so I really don't want to hurt my IL too much as I'd like to get to the swift action teleport as quick as possible. This is also why I think that I am not going with my other idea of rogue/ss.

Character level 9 - Going Human. 30 pt build, no flaws, all hardcover 3.5 books allowed except a few odd ones like ebberon stuff.

Build #1 idea
Lvl 1 - SS - Adaptive Style, Blind Fighting
Lvl 2 - Fighter - Exotic Weapon Prof Spiked Chain
Lvl 3 - Swashbuckler - Weapon Finese, Shadow Blade
Lvl 4 - SS -
Lvl 5 - SS -
Lvl 6 - SS - Mage Slayer
Lvl 7 - SS -
Lvl 8 - SS -
Lvl 9 - SS - Pierce magical concealment

Build #2 idea would deviate away from PMC string
Lvl 1 - SS - Adaptive Style, Shadow Blade
Lvl 2 - SS -
Lvl 3 - SS - Weapon Finese
Lvl 4 - SS -
Lvl 5 - SS -
Lvl 6 - SS - Exotic Weapon Prof Spiked Chain
Lvl 7 - SS -
Lvl 8 - SS -
Lvl 9 - SS - Unsure of feat for this level

I would like to add that I really like the idea of going pure SS so I can get the move action dimension door at level 9. With build #1 I guess it's only one more level away.

Thanks in advance for any and all input! :redcloak:

Dusto
2011-11-25, 10:13 AM
Decided to go with build #2.

Stats 30pt Build - Human
STR: 12 (8 base, 4pts) - Encumberance really comes into play in our game.
DEX: 18 (8 base, 10pts, 2 lvl adds)
CON: 14 (8 base, 6pts)
INT: 12 (8 base, 4pts)
WIS: 14 (8 base, 6pts)
CHA: 8 (8 base)

For the 9th level feat, it was a decision between imp. intiative, martial study and extra readied maneuver. I think I am going to take extra readied maneuver so I can have as many 'tools' available as possible.

Snow Elf might have actually worked better than Human, but I really like the extra skill points and there is already a snow elf in our party(though he did die the same game I did and I'm not sure if he is going to play the same character or not).

jiriku
2011-11-25, 07:48 PM
Your build looks solid and without flaw. You may already be familiar with it, but an anklet of translocation (MIC, 1,400gp) is a nice, cheap bit of gear to get you into the swift-action-teleportation game while you wait for the maneuver.

Dusto
2011-11-25, 11:04 PM
Was not aware of that, will have to take a look and see if I can get it. Thanks!

Keld Denar
2011-11-26, 01:12 AM
Build 2 looks solid. What maneuvers were you thinking of? What gear? How much cash do you have available? I'll try to help if I can, but I'm rather out of pocket this weekend

Dusto
2011-11-26, 12:23 PM
Heya Keld.

For maneuvers I think I'll end up with at level 9: Moment of Perfect Mind, Counter Charge, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Mighty Throw, Cloak of Deception, Baffling Defense, Mountain Hammer, Mind Over Body, Shadow Garrote, Shadow Jaunt, Bone Splitting Strike, Searing Charge, Searing Blade and Shadow Stride.

Stances: Flames Blessing, Step of the Wind, Assassin's Stance and Step of the Dancing Moth.

It isn't a super focused build, but more of a character that can adapt to many situations. And since we have the core party needs already met, he can kinda do whatever.

As for equipment, I won't know that situation until we sit down next game and start playing. It sucks, but I really can't count on any specific equipment.