PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 - Precise Shot Feat - need help w/details

tzoneman
2011-11-23, 06:27 PM
Hi. I'm new to this forum. Have read all the OOTS, love 'em!

Played D&D for a summer when it first came out, and started up again - more serious this time - 7 months ago. I'm involved in both a 3.5 group (I play a 6th level elven wizard) and a Pathfinder group (3rd level elven wizard). I just recently added Precise Shot, and I'm a bit confused about one thing specifically that I hope someone here can straighten out for me.

I understand the whole thing about not having a -4 on my to hit rolls while my comrades are in melee... but here's what I don't understand: If I'm say in the back of the party order in a 5' corridor, and there's an enemy on the other side of my comrades in front of me, does Precise Shot allow me to shoot pass them - through their 5' square - and towards the enemy? One Gm says 'no way, you can't shoot through people', while the other says 'of course you can, the other characters aren't taking up the entire 5' square, you're not shooting through them...' ... which is it?

I searched through the forum and couldn't find any specific answer about this... please set me straight... blue wizard needs help badly.

Thanks!

lokoone
2011-11-23, 07:28 PM
if think this might help
Soft Cover

Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

if your enemy can shot pass his allies why you cant? :smallamused:
and you dont even need precise Shot to do this

Curmudgeon
2011-11-23, 08:10 PM
You're not shooting through people, just the squares they occupy. A person actually takes up only a tiny fraction of 25 square feet (1 square); they mostly keep that space free for ease of movement. (If you don't keep the space free, you get into squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing) penalties.) There's plenty of room, normally, to get an arrow through, but without Precise Shot you may miss because you jerked to avoid an ally who briefly moved through your shot trajectory. Precise Shot represents more practice with similar combat situations so you'll take your shot just when the arrow path is clear.

tzoneman
2011-11-24, 10:49 AM
ah, thanks very much for the clarity on this.
your info makes tons of sense.
thanks!