PDA

View Full Version : Good Items for a 3.P WoW Pandaren Monk

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 06:52 PM
Before I begin this thread:

1) I have decided on monk. I am the 5th Wheel for the party, who generally plays mostly in Core. For the first time, we are able to deviate from core, so I wanted to see if I could void the "Monk Sucks" Stereotype. Don't say, "Unarmed Swordsage is so much better." I know. I have a goal: to rise above a stereotype so that our group can feel at ease playing a Monk, no matter their alignment.

2) Yes, I am playing a Pandaren. They can be found in WoW d20's Manual of Monsters. My DM is waiving the 1LA in light of Blizzard announcing them as a playable race in the upcoming Mists of Pandaria expansion pack. Please, refrain from Bear-themed jokes. I can accomplish the jokes on my own.

Now, I am a:

LG Pandaren Quinggong Hungry Ghost Monk fo 4 Winds (DM houseruled that they all stack appropriately, so do not bring up that they TECHNICALLY cannot exist. Neither can a Panda Monk with Electrical Fists, but who cares)

My Avatar is the Ki-Rin

I know that Amulet of Natural Weapons and Monk's Belt are at the top of my purchase list, but here is my base equipment:

Pan-Spear (same book as Pandaren)
Keg of Endless Water
Straw Hat
Monk's Robes
Scrolls of the Forgotten Style: an Ancestral item that serves as my main plot device. I was originally sent from Pandaria to find Enlightenment and to face any Martial Artist who challenges me. The scrolls will unlock at 15th level, unlocking, as my DM says, "Unique Abilities" So from DM to English, I have no clue what sick things he plans on giving me.

Items I'm Considering:

Brass Knuckles: Basically, a way to "Enchant" my Unarmed Strike
Handwraps: Same as above, minus I cannot find a source
Bracers of X: I plan on bumping up my AC so the party can use me as an off-tank, or improving damage output
Monk's Belt: Staple Monk Item. DM Houseruled that this item stacks with SUS
Amulet of Natural Weapons: Another Staple. More damage is always welcome.

My goal is to be able to deal a decent amount of damage (comparable to the party, who is an Assassin (Homebrew BC), Wizard (Evoker), Cleric of Moradin, and a Warblade/Crusader). I hope to last until around 14th level, where I can start a fight with Abundant Step, then Flurry, followed by Slow Time, then follow up with a "Chidori" (Elemental Fist attack), a Punishing Attack of some sort (DM has Houseruled that Pandaren can take Hammer Fist from RoF), then ending with a Punishing Kick.

Any suggestions for items would be great. Thank you all.

-Toku-

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-23, 07:12 PM
So how is the D20 Warcraft RPG? I'm not too familiar with it...

Uhm, don't have much else to add...

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 07:40 PM
So how is the D20 Warcraft RPG? I'm not too familiar with it...

Uhm, don't have much else to add...

Basically, If you've played D&D and have an understanding of WoW, you got Wow D20 in a nutshell. Just the words Constitution, Dexterity, and Wisdom are changed to Stamina, Agility, and Spirit. Intelligence was shortened to Intellect. That's basically it

Waker
2011-11-23, 07:59 PM
What level are you starting at and how much gold do you have access to?

Some items to consider:
Winged Boots (You don't get Kirin flight until lvl 17) 16kgp
Cloak of Resistance (Who doesn't love those cloaks?)
Headband of Inspired Wisdom

I must also ask what is your interest in the Monk of the Four Winds? I've looked at the archetype before and wasn't all that impressed by it. The Elemental Damage isn't all that great, but it's fine. I can't really think of a good way to use the Slow Time ability. The Kirin flight is nice, but it's a long wait until lvl 17 for supernatural flight. Perfect Self isn't amazing, but I'd take it over Immortality. The skill is based off of Reincarnation, so you run the risk of changing your race, not to mention that it doesn't work if you were killed by a death effect.
Frankly the Master of Many Forms is one of the best archetypes you could get, since the style feats are what really gives monks a shot in the arm. Crane, Dragon, Panther and the Elemental styles are all great.

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 11:11 PM
What level are you starting at and how much gold do you have access to?

Some items to consider:
Winged Boots (You don't get Kirin flight until lvl 17) 16kgp
Cloak of Resistance (Who doesn't love those cloaks?)
Headband of Inspired Wisdom

I must also ask what is your interest in the Monk of the Four Winds? I've looked at the archetype before and wasn't all that impressed by it. The Elemental Damage isn't all that great, but it's fine. I can't really think of a good way to use the Slow Time ability. The Kirin flight is nice, but it's a long wait until lvl 17 for supernatural flight. Perfect Self isn't amazing, but I'd take it over Immortality. The skill is based off of Reincarnation, so you run the risk of changing your race, not to mention that it doesn't work if you were killed by a death effect.
Frankly the Master of Many Forms is one of the best archetypes you could get, since the style feats are what really gives monks a shot in the arm. Crane, Dragon, Panther and the Elemental styles are all great.

1) I love this because of the Kirin Flight. Yeah, it comes late. But it's still cool.

2) Slow Time is 1 swift action and 6 ki for 3 standard actions. And you have no clue how to spend 3 standard actions following a full round action? More attacks and a retreat? Three powerful attacks? Use your imagination. It's action economy. It's made to give monks better action economy.

3) My DM never throws Death Effects at us, so I'm good.

4) Master of Many Styles is good. Do not get me wrong. It just IMO matches better fluff-wise with Martial Artist over Quinggong Monk.

5) The Kirin + Electricity damage is an homage to Sasuke from Naruto, namely his Kirin technique. You have to admit the line he says in UNS2 is awesome: "This jutsu is Kirin. Begone with a Thunderclap."

Aside from that, we will be around 5th level and a "Standard Gold" of a 5th level character. My scrolls cost "0 gold," along with my Pan-Spear

Waker
2011-11-23, 11:36 PM
1) I love this because of the Kirin Flight. Yeah, it comes late. But it's still cool.

2) Slow Time is 1 swift action and 6 ki for 3 standard actions. And you have no clue how to spend 3 standard actions following a full round action? More attacks and a retreat? Three powerful attacks? Use your imagination. It's action economy. It's made to give monks better action economy.

3) My DM never throws Death Effects at us, so I'm good.

4) Master of Many Styles is good. Do not get me wrong. It just IMO matches better fluff-wise with Martial Artist over Quinggong Monk.

5) The Kirin + Electricity damage is an homage to Sasuke from Naruto, namely his Kirin technique. You have to admit the line he says in UNS2 is awesome: "This jutsu is Kirin. Begone with a Thunderclap."

Aside from that, we will be around 5th level and a "Standard Gold" of a 5th level character. My scrolls cost "0 gold," along with my Pan-Spear
2. Perhaps it's my reading of it that is in error, but you don't get to make three standard actions and a full-round worth of actions.

As a swift action, the monk can expend 6 ki points to gain three standard actions during his turn instead of just one.

cannot combine them to take full-attack actions
The way I read it, you spent a swift action, have a move action and three standard actions to use. Sure you can use it to make more special attacks in a round like Elemental Fist, but I'm not overly wowed.
3. Death Effects aside, you still need to worry about coming back as something other than your starting race. And in order to correct that someone will need to cast Miracle or Wish. I'd rather just roll with the DR 10/Chaotic.

Tokuhara
2011-11-23, 11:41 PM
2. Perhaps it's my reading of it that is in error, but you don't get to make three standard actions and a full-round worth of actions.

The way I read it, you spent a swift action, have a move action and three standard actions to use. Sure you can use it to make more special attacks in a round like Elemental Fist, but I'm not overly wowed.
3. Death Effects aside, you still need to worry about coming back as something other than your starting race. And in order to correct that someone will need to cast Miracle or Wish. I'd rather just roll with the DR 10/Chaotic.

2) I misread it. My bad y'all. However, you can make a full round action, activate Slow Time, then use your two remaining Standard Actions do do dirty things like Elemental Fist and Punishing Kick them into the waiting arms of your buddies

3) It would've been better as an actual Outsider type and not a "Treated As" ability

Tokuhara
2011-11-24, 12:39 PM
Anywho, I need ideas for gear. I don't want too much, but for a Monk, I need a good way to stack damage to Chienpo Ironpaw