PDA

View Full Version : Giving the Mindless feats

Mathias1313
2011-11-24, 12:26 AM
I seem to remember a feat or something somewhere that allowed you to give your mindless undead, like zombies and skeletons, 2 feats and could be taken multiple times. Anyone know where it might be from?
I think it might have been from a splatbook, not sure tho?
Any help would be great. :)

Mathias1313
2011-11-29, 12:30 AM
Still looking, anyone have any ideas?

Venger
2011-11-29, 03:03 PM
I think you might be confused. as you already seem to understand, creatures without an int score arbitrarily are not allowed to have feats.

that means that you can't give them a feat that would allow them to take feats, because it is itself a feat.

the only way to give zombies and skeles (and other mindless undead) feats is the "awaken undead" spell from the spell compendium. it costs a little xp, but it's an area effect so you can zap your whole cadre of undead at once (use shrink object on them first after telling them to fail their saves and have all your now tiny (if huge) diminutive (if large) and fine (if medium) (almost anything bigger than huge has too many HD to animate as a skeleton and almost nothing smaller than medium is worth the time since their damage output is so abysmal) skeles and zombies huddle together in that 25ft +5ft/2 lvls radius circle and awaken 'em all at once. they get some int, some turn resistance, and remain under your control, unlike most things that give stuff intelligence. you should really need to do this once unless you're going dread necromancer 20, in which case you might need to do it 3 or 4 times (and get some scrolls of shrink item, or have someone in the party who can cast it)

hope this helps

Seerow
2011-11-29, 03:11 PM
I think you might be confused. as you already seem to understand, creatures without an int score arbitrarily are not allowed to have feats.

that means that you can't give them a feat that would allow them to take feats, because it is itself a feat.

I think he meant a feat a necromancer could take to give his mindless undead minions feats.

Venger
2011-11-29, 03:25 PM
I think he meant a feat a necromancer could take to give his mindless undead minions feats.

oh, okay, that makes more sense. I know of no such feat. (not to say it doesn't exist) but it smells of homebrew.

was it maybe from one of wotc's online things?

Jeraa
2011-11-29, 03:31 PM
After a quick search, I can only find homebrewed material:

Improved Undead Specialization (http://okayyourturn.yuku.com/topic/13888/t/New-Necromantic-Feats.html#.TtU_3PLrJH0)

Mathias1313
2011-11-29, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes I did mean a feat that the Necromancer took that would give his minions 2 actual feats.
I distinctly remember seeing it in a book of some sort, I am almost positive that it is from a splatbook. I'll keep looking tho.

:smallsmile:

Seerow
2011-11-29, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes I did mean a feat that the Necromancer took that would give his minions 2 actual feats.
I distinctly remember seeing it in a book of some sort, I am almost positive that it is from a splatbook. I'll keep looking tho.

:smallsmile:

Maybe a third party sourcebook? Because I checked as well and saw nothing like it in a wotc book.