PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Weaver (3.X Base Class, PEACH plz)

Antonok
2011-11-24, 12:50 AM
http://cghub.com/images/view/113811/
Image by ClaytonBurton

The Shadow Weaver – HD: D6
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Shadow Strike +1d6
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Darkvision, Dark Shell
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Shadow Step, Shadow Strike +2d6
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Shadow Companion, Shadow Evocation (1/Day)
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Grasping Shadows, Shadow Strike +3d6
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Cloak of Darkness
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Stalking Shadow, Shadow Strike +4d6
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Shadow Evocation (2/Day)
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Shadow Strike +5d6
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Piericing Shadows, Nightmare Visage
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Shadow Strike +6d6
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Shadow Evocation (3/Day)
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Shadow Strike +7d6
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Acclimated Eyes
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Shadow Puppet, Shadow Strike +8d6
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Evocation (4/Day)
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Shadow Strike +9d6
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Greater Shadow Evocation (1/Day)
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Shadow Strike +10d6
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Storm of a Thousand Shadows, Shadow Evocation (5/Day), Greater Shadow Evocation (2/Day)
[/table]

Class Skills: Balance(Dex), Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Diplomacy(Cha), Escape Artist(Dex), Gather Information(Cha), Handle Animal(Cha), Hide(Dex), Knowledge-The Planes(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Ride(Dex), Sense Motive(Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis), and Tumble(Dex).
Skill Points at 1st level: (6+Int Mod)x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 6+Int Mod

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shadow Weaver's are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, and all Light Armor (but not shields).

Shadow Strike(Su): By manipulating the surrounding shadows, a Weaver may strike an opponent within 60ft of him with a spike made of shadow. To use this ability you must succeed on a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 1d6 points of damage, and requires a standard action to use. The damage caused by this attack increases as noted on the table above.

Darkvision(Ex): At 2nd level, a Weaver gains Darkvision out to 60ft. If he already has Darkvision from another class, or race, its range is extended by 30ft.

Dark Shell(Su): At 2nd level, a Weaver is able to create a lifeless shell made of shadows. This shell has no combat abilities, but can still be used to flank an opponent or give a small cover bonus.

The Shell has 4hp, 10 AC, no attacks, no saves, can be used to flank opponents or give a 20% miss chance if hid behind. It is also immune to AoE attacks.

Shadow Step(Su): At 3rd level, a Weaver gains the ability to instantly move between any shadow within 30ft+ 5ft/2 lvls of each other. Using this ability is a move action.

Shadow Companion(Ex): At 4th level, a Waver gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the DM’s campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the DM may add the following creatures to the Weaver’s list of options: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the Weaver on his adventures as appropriate for its kind. (For instance, an aquatic creature can’t adventure with a Weaver on land and shouldn’t be selected by a nonaquatic character without extenuating circumstances). In most cases, the animal companion functions as a mount, sentry, scout, or hunting animal, rather than as a protector.

This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name (see page 35), except that the ranger’s effective druid level is one-half his Weaver level. For example, the animal companion of a 4th-level Weaver would be the equivalent of a 2nd-level druid’s animal companion. A Weaver may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his ranger level. Thus, he must be at least an 8th-level Weaver to select from the druid’s list of 4th-level animal companions, and if he chooses one of those animals, his effective druid level would be reduced by 3, to 1st level. Like a druid, a Weaver cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.

In addition, the animal companion chosen gains the Shadow Template (see Lords of Madness, pg. 167).

Shadow Evocation(Sp): A weaver of 4th level gains the ability to use Shadow Evocation as a spell-like ability once per day. He gains an additional use of this ability for every 4 lvls above 4th (2/Day at 8th, 3/Day at 12th and so on). The DC for this ability is 10 + the spell level + the Weaver's Cha modifier.

Grasping Shadows(Su): At 5th level, a Weaver may manipulate an opponents own shadow to try and restrain him.

To use this ability, the Weaver must be within 30ft of his opponent and succeed on a touch attack requiring a standard action. If successful, the Weaver initiates a grapple. This ability functions like a grapple, except the Weaver substitutes a Concentration check in place of his grapple check, he cannot move from the spot that he used this ability, and he cannot attempt to forcibly move the orc.

Example: Azerai is 30ft away from an orc and decides to help out his party's rogue by grappling it. He succeeds on his touch attack, so he makes a Concentration check while the orc makes a regular grapple check. He beats the orc, and the orc is now grappled.
While maintaining the grapple, neither Azerai nor the orc can move, and are under the effects of the regular grapple rules. (In this instance, both are rooted to the spot until one of them breaks the grapple, and both are considered flat footed to any party outside of the grapple.)

Cloak of Darkness(Ex): At 6th level, a Weaver gains favor from the Plane of Shadows. He adds his Charisma modifier to his AC as a deflection bonus.

Stalking Shadow(Su): A Weaver of 7th level can use his Shadow Step ability to step out of an opponents shadow and catch him off guard, causing him to be flat footed for the Weavers next attack in that turn.

Piercing Shadows(Su): A shadow weaver of 10th level or higher deals shadow strike damage on each successful grapple check made with grasping shadows.

Horrific Visage(Sp): At 10th level, once per day, a Weaver may surround himself in shadows taking the form of an opponents worst nightmare.

This ability reproduces the effect of a Phantasmal Killer spell.

Acclimated Eyes(Ex): A Weaver of 14th level gains the ability to see in any type of darkness, even magical darkness.

Hide in Plain Sight(Ex): While in any sort of shadow(except his own), a Weaver of 16th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Shadow Puppet(Su): At 15th level, whenever a Weaver successfully grapples and opponent with his Grasping Shadows ability, he may attempt to control his opponents body. On every successful grapple check, the Weavers victim must make a Will save (DC= 10+ 1/2 Weaver class level+ Cha Mod) or lose control of his body.

The Weaver must spend a full round action to maintain this effect, but gains control of the victims turn. He cannot cast any spells the victim may know(as the victim only loses control of his body, not his mind), but that doesn't stop him from making the victim run into melee combat.

The Weaver retains control until the victim makes a successful Will save (which reverts it back to a normal grapple under the Grasping Shadows rule), or something breaks connection with the shadows, such as a Daylight spell(which completely frees the victim from the Grasping Shadows ability).

Greater Shadow Evocation(Sp): At 17th level, a Weaver gains the ability to cast Shadow Evocation, Greater once per day. He gains an additional use of this ability at level 20.

Storm of a Thousand Shadows(Sp): At 20th level, a Weaver is able to unleash the full fury of the Plane of Shadows. As a full round action, once per day, a Weaver may summon 1000 shadows that fly around and attack his enemies within a 60ft radius centered on him. This ability deals 10d6 damage
per round, for 10 rounds (no save for this damage).

In addition, every creature struck by this attack must make a Fortitude save (DC= 10+1/2 Weaver class level + Weavers Cha Mod) or be affected by a random effect as noted on the table below.

{table=head]D% Roll|Effect
1-19|Target is Blinded for 1d4 Rounds
20-39|Target takes anadditional 2d10 Cold damage
40-59|Target is stricken with the Fear spell
60-79|Target takes 1d6 negative levels
80-94|Target is confused, as if under the Confusion spell
95-100|Target is teleported to the Plane of Shadows.
[/table]

FEATS:

Augment Feats
Afraid of the Dark:
Prerequisite: Shadow Strike +2d6
Normal: You may trade 2d6 Shadow Strike damage to inflict the target with fear(as the spell) for 1d6 rounds.

Blinding Strike:
Prerequisite: Shadow Strike +2d6
Normal: By trading 2d6 Damage from your Shadow Strike ability, you may blind your opponent for 1 round.
Special: For each additional 2d6 damage you trade, you can add one round to the duration of the blinding effect.

Chilling Shadow:
Prerequisite: Level 4
Normal: For every 1d6 damage you trade, your Shadow Strike ability does 1d6 Cold damage instead.

Sapping Strike:
Prerequisite:: Shadow Strike +3d6
Normal: You may trade 3d6 Shadow Strike damage to inflict 1d6 points of Strength Damage.

Shadow Bolt
Prerequisite: Character level 6
Normal: You may make turn your Shadow Strike ability into an AoE attack with a 30ft radius. You can use this attack a number of time per day equal to half your Weaver level.

General Feats

Night Stalker:
Prerequisite: Shadow Strike 1d6, Sneak Attack 1d6
Normal: Shadow Weaver and Rogue levels stack for the purposes of Shadow Strike damage.

Still working on more feats and the fluff.

DeAnno
2011-11-24, 01:23 AM
Needs more dakka. This feels sort of like a Warlock, except instead of invocations you have a couple (admittedly fairly useful) Supernatural Abilities, your main blast is conditional (admittedly a fairly easy condition to meet), and you have no riders or other ways to optimize the main blast.

I'm not sure what direction you'd like to go with it, but it just generally needs more. More damage, or more control, and probably more options too. Big darkness fields, Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike, better companion, less conditional abilities, moar shadow evocation, etc.

As it is, its a pretty good 3 level dip for some Roguey types, to get the Su Ranged Touch Attack (to pile precision damage on) Cha to AC and Shadow Step at will. Beyond that, not very useful.

Antonok
2011-11-24, 01:43 AM
Needs more dakka. This feels sort of like a Warlock, except instead of invocations you have a couple (admittedly fairly useful) Supernatural Abilities, your main blast is conditional (admittedly a fairly easy condition to meet), and you have no riders or other ways to optimize the main blast.

I'm not sure what direction you'd like to go with it, but it just generally needs more. More damage, or more control, and probably more options too. Big darkness fields, Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike, better companion, less conditional abilities, moar shadow evocation, etc.

As it is, its a pretty good 3 level dip for some Roguey types, to get the Su Ranged Touch Attack (to pile precision damage on) Cha to AC and Shadow Step at will. Beyond that, not very useful.

I've got a few feat ideas I'm tossing around for Shadow Strike augments, and better companions. Most of the improvements will be through feats probably.

Just from eyeballing it, it seems a pretty sturdy support class (whichis what I was going for).

I think I will give them Greater Shadow Evocation though.

Demidos
2011-11-24, 02:23 AM
As its currently worded, his capstone deals 1d6 per round. Just a heads up:smallwink:
Also, its their capstone...make it more awesome! Look up the maw of chaos spell. 9th level sorcerer wizard. 1d6 per level plus save or daze every turn...was it 100 foot radius? Either way, give them something like that! Say 10d6 and save or daze in a 100 foot radius around you, and he permanently gains the darkstalker template?

jiriku
2011-11-24, 02:42 PM
Shadow Strike lacks a base damage amount. I know from the table that it deals +xd6 based on level... but +xd6 added to what? You also need to specify the type of action required to use shadow strike.

Grasping Shadows also needs to specify the type of action required to use it.

Cloak of Darkness can potentially be stacked to produce overly large AC values. I'd recommend making it a deflection bonus, rather than an untyped bonus. This will also allow you to cut the third sentence of the description, since deflection bonuses are applied to AC at all times.

Vault is poorly explained, and needs to include mechanics.

Piercing Shadows needs an action type. I think what you're trying to say is "A shadow weaver of 10th level or higher deals shadow strike damage on each successful grapple check made with grasping shadows."

In general, the abilities gained from 13th-16th level are rather underwhelming for the level, and the abilities gained from 17th-20th level are downright poor. D&D characters grow pretty phenomenally in power at the upper levels, and you should consider modifying these abilities to improve the versatility of the character more at higher levels.

Antonok
2011-11-24, 09:39 PM
As its currently worded, his capstone deals 1d6 per round. Just a heads up:smallwink:
Also, its their capstone...make it more awesome! Look up the maw of chaos spell. 9th level sorcerer wizard. 1d6 per level plus save or daze every turn...was it 100 foot radius? Either way, give them something like that! Say 10d6 and save or daze in a 100 foot radius around you, and he permanently gains the darkstalker template?

Yea, that was supposed to be 10d6 damage a round for 10 rounds. Fix'd, plus added in a random effect table.

Never heard of the template, and couldn't find anything about it. So if you could point me the general direction I'll be happy to take a peek at it.

Shadow Strike lacks a base damage amount. I know from the table that it deals +xd6 based on level... but +xd6 added to what? You also need to specify the type of action required to use shadow strike.

Grasping Shadows also needs to specify the type of action required to use it.

Cloak of Darkness can potentially be stacked to produce overly large AC values. I'd recommend making it a deflection bonus, rather than an untyped bonus. This will also allow you to cut the third sentence of the description, since deflection bonuses are applied to AC at all times.

Vault is poorly explained, and needs to include mechanics.

Piercing Shadows needs an action type. I think what you're trying to say is "A shadow weaver of 10th level or higher deals shadow strike damage on each successful grapple check made with grasping shadows."

In general, the abilities gained from 13th-16th level are rather underwhelming for the level, and the abilities gained from 17th-20th level are downright poor. D&D characters grow pretty phenomenally in power at the upper levels, and you should consider modifying these abilities to improve the versatility of the character more at higher levels.

Ok, tried to explain the abilities better, and added in any missing damage types.

Also changed the name of Vault to Stalking Shadow.

Added in the Shadow Puppet ability at 15th, and as noted above, upped the power on Storm of 1000 Shadows (hopefully anyhow).

Still working on the feats and animal list, which is proving to be a bit harder to think up stuff for then I thought it would...

Amechra
2011-11-24, 09:44 PM
Storm of a Thousand Shadows summons 1000 Shadows to attack your enemies...

You do realize that that would mean they do strength damage, with the potential to convert your enemies into more shadows (I know, I know, but being able to summon 1000 shadows and have them murderfy everything would be hilarious.)

Antonok
2011-11-24, 10:12 PM
Storm of a Thousand Shadows summons 1000 Shadows to attack your enemies...

You do realize that that would mean they do strength damage, with the potential to convert your enemies into more shadows (I know, I know, but being able to summon 1000 shadows and have them murderfy everything would be hilarious.)

That... gives me nightmares even for a capstone. O_o

I imagine it more like in the movie Ghost, when the shadows on the street form into demons and drag the guy off to hell. Except, with this, they fly around screaming trying to rip your soul from your body.

jiriku
2011-11-25, 12:39 AM
Shadow puppet is pretty cool. I especially like that daylight breaks it - the shadows are vanquished by the light. Major style points there.

Antonok
2011-11-25, 05:19 PM
Shadow puppet is pretty cool. I especially like that daylight breaks it - the shadows are vanquished by the light. Major style points there.

Thanks. I really wanted to add that in, I just had to get it working right.

Also, Got some more updates.

~Added in a few feats finally.

~Changed the animal companion feature. They now get the basic animal companion list, but any companion they choose gets the shadow creature template from LoM.

~Added in the Nightmare Visage ability. (I think thats going to be the last change I do to the class features.)

Rapidghoul
2011-11-25, 06:07 PM
I like the concept a lot. Getting Darkvision, Shadow Evocation, and a Shadow template companion is really neat and fits the idea well. I think it could pack a little more punch in a particular area to define it; it seems to be suffering from the Core-Bard as trying to be a few different things but not quite mastering anything. As DeAnno said, it feels a lot like Warlock with a few key differences. That said, with a little touching up, I'd definitely want to try it out if it were an option in a campaign.

Jarrick
2011-11-26, 12:57 AM
Wow, Ant. You're getting some good reviews. Looks like a simpler-to-use shadowcaster was all everyone really wanted. I know I did :smalltongue:

You might want to note whether shadow strike is a melee or ranged touch attack. Also Shadow Evocation needs to note what the caster level of the effect is. I'll proofread more tomorrow though.

I look forward to the playtesting for this, should be interesting, even if it does reek of Shikamaru. lol

Oh, And Hi to everyone that missed me. Ever since I discovered WoW ive been having a hard time making myself work on DnD projects. Sorry. I'll be back soon though. I have a whole campaign setting to post on here eventually. :smallbiggrin: