PDA

View Full Version : basic warlock question

murasaki1337
2011-11-24, 01:58 AM
Hey everyone! I am somewhat new to d&d 3.5 and trying to get a few specifics. I started a warlock and I was trying to get a question or two answered.

1: does anyone have any good suggestions on some warlock items to go for? Lvl 5 to 15ish.
2: are you able to use multiple warlock invocations at the same time. Example. Using fell flight and the entropic wind one? I was trying to find the answer but cannot get a solid yes or no.

Any help would be awesome,

Medic!
2011-11-24, 02:18 AM
Chasuble of Fell Power (and greater) are always good warlock items to have, along with wands of *things I can't do with an invocation*

As far as invocation stacking goes, from what I've seen if they can't be in effect at the same time the description will say so, like the lower lvl swarm invocation that requires concentration. A lot of the invocations are simply 24 hr buffs with no concentration requirement. *Rawr I'm an invisible flying creepy guy who sees invisible things in the dark and turns you into a rabbit*

Tokiko Mima
2011-11-24, 02:49 AM
1) From Thinblade's Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?action=printpage;topic=2915.0):

If I don't list a sourcebook, then it is straight out of the 3.5DMG

Chasuble of Fell Power - boosts damage from your eldritch blast. Buy this. (Complete Arcane)

Warlock's Sceptre - Gives you +2 to hit with ranged touch attacks, and by spending charges you can boost your eldritch blast damage. (Complete Arcane)

Cloak of Charisma - Useful instant boost to your save DCs if you use a lot of save-based invocations

Gloves of Dexterity - Useful for blaster locks and meleelocks that rely on weapon finesse.

Boots of Elvenkind - Warlocks get invisibility invocations. Move silently bonuses can't hurt for those times when sneakiness is the order of the day.

Mithral Full-Plate - with the Battlecaster and Medium Armor Proficiency feats, you can get a really nice AC for your warlock, with no spell failure chance. Enchant this for even better armor.

Belt of Magnificence - Expensive as all get-out, but boosts all 6 stats while taking up only one slot. IIRC, it's 200,000gp for the +6 version, but +6 to every stat is really nice. (Miniatures handbook)

Cloak of Displacement, Minor - all attacks against you have a 20% miss chance. Pretty nice, especially for those warlocks that like to get into melee. This can serve as a replacement for the Entropic Warding invocation (and the item is better since it also works on melee attacks), except that it doesn't make you untrackable

Pale Green Ioun Stone - +1 on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks that doesn't require an item slot? Yes, Please!

Orange Ioun Stone - +1 caster level, slotless. Won't give you extra invocations or boost Eldritch Blast damage, but can be useful if you see many enemies with spell resistance.

Manuals and Tomes - +5 inherent bonuses to Dex and Charisma are really nice for a blaster. Con is also nice for a melee lock What more needs to be said? You may also want to consider other books if you have money to burn. Beefing up stats is rarely a bad thing.

Horizon Goggles by FromTheShadows - I'm surprised nobody really noticed the Horizon Goggles in Complete Mage. For a mere 8,000 gp, you get extra range on your blast or invocations as long as they happen to be in a form that uses a ranged attack roll.

Codex Advocare by Tweedledope - Ya'll don't forget the Codex Advocare from the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It might seem minor but, for 20k it gives you an extra Least invocation known. Sure beats wastin' a feat.

2) Both Fell Flight and Entropic Warding are buff spell-likes, and Fell Flight's duration is specifically 24 hours. Entropic Warding's duration is a bit more obscure, because it's based on the two spells that make up it's effect, entropic shield and pass without trace, which have a duration of min/level and hours/level respectively. So you can use them together as much as you would like. Some invocations (esp. blast shape or eldritch essense) can only be used together, and you can use as many invocations in a round as you have actions.

Generally, you just kind of assume that a competent Warlock would recast their buffs if they started dropping unless some outside force prevented it. I did have a DM that decided to come down hard on me before a combat, saying that since I didn't specifically call out that I had recently refreshed my (hours long, at will) buffs prior to combat that they weren't up. That lasted about 10 seconds because as soon as we finished that combat, I had drafted a list of my buff schedule, and started calling out invocations every hour on the hour so I would never enter a combat without them all up. Fair is fair, right? :smallamused:

Darrin
2011-11-24, 12:28 PM
1) From Thinblade's Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?action=printpage;topic=2915.0):

Add Veil of Allure (14000 GP, Sandstorm/MIC) to that list. Increases the save DCs of all your Charisma-based effects by 2.

Feather Token: Swan Boat or Folding Boat (DMG). You can fly. Boats are very large and extremely heavy. Read up on the Falling Object rules.

Spellsight Spectacles (2500 GP, MIC). +4 to UMD checks on scrolls.

Gremma's Cauldron (5000 GP, Expedition to Undermountain) can also be interesting if you want to get into crafting, although you'll want to talk to your DM about what it can or can't do. It gives you the equivalent of the "Brew Potion" feat, and since Warlocks can use Imbue Item to fake a required spell, they can brew any potion from any possible spell list (1st level haste!). There's also the very curious "convert a scroll into a potion" feature, which could possibly allow you to convert any scroll, including range: personal or above 3rd level, into a potion. But you really need to clear that one with the DM first.

thompur
2011-11-24, 01:07 PM
Since I despise miss chances, I always get a set of Gauntlets of Ghostfighting. They eliminate miss chances due to incorporeality. Situational, yes, but at 4000gp, worth the price.

Also, if I have Fell Flight, I'll have it on multiple times. It won't make you fly any faster, but if you get hit with a dispel magic, only one of the castings will get dispelled, and you'll still be soaring. Just beware of Reciprocal Gyre.:smallwink: