PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Abyss of Doom [3.5 IC]

graham82
2011-11-24, 07:49 AM
First Entry
You squeeze your way through the broken crack ahead of you, following the light until its end. As you struggle through the gap, you emerge into a large room, roughly 50' square, with badly damaged masonry walls and flagstone floors. The entire room stinks of mildew, and there is black mold growing across the walls and floors. Despite the stink and the old, damaged look of the place, it looks safe enough to rest in and get your bearings.

Straight ahead of you you see a door made of solid wood, and another wooden door in the wall to your right. Over to the left there is a third door, but this time made of some type of stone instead. Old, but still working oil lamps hang directly above each of the three doors, producing the light that you followed into the room in the first place.

You notice that despite the mold covering the room, there is a path through it that is relatively untouched, leading between the doors to the left and right.

OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223512)
Characters

{table=head]Player|Character|Class/Race/Level
Lemonus | Qurael Barom (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346537) | Half-Elf Sorcerer 1
Caylus | BX101 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346566) | Warforged Archivist 1
Pazzo | Hermino Mercury (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=27340) | Human Artificer 1
HearTheRequiem | Aurelia Bramblethorn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346497) | Human Ranger 1
Chained Birds | Spindle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346380) | Human Druid 1
TurtleKing | Caramip "Fnipper" Turen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346562) | Gnome Warlock 1
The Big Orc | Milo Tealeaf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=346368) | Halfling Rogue 1[/table]

Chained Birds
2011-11-24, 10:00 AM
Spindle

A blue and whited robed figure leans against a non-moss covered portion of a wall, cradling a large bucket in his unusually wide arms and hands. The bucket is filled with cold, murky water, but it is apparent that something dwells inside.
He take his time examining the room in silence to determine what creatures might reside in such a setting.

Knowledge (nature) check: [roll0]
- attempting to identify moss
- attempting to determine wildlife that might live or hunt here

graham82
2011-11-24, 10:06 AM
The moss seems to be a variety of lichen that thrives in the dark, damp environment found here. You're fairly sure it's safe to be around, but aren't sure if it's safe to consume or not.

You can't tell specifically any details about any life that lives around here, but the path in the moss would seem to indicate that there is at least some level of movement around the place.

Pazzo
2011-11-24, 10:45 AM
Hermino

Pulling tools from her belt, Hermino will take a look at the lamps to try and figure out their design and function. Secretly hoping for a magical element, she is also just checking to see if they are being fed oil or some other fuel. If not, she will try and determine how they have been burning, and estimate how long the light has left.

Search
[roll0]
Artificer Knowledge (DC 15 to detect magical qualities)
[roll1]
Knowledge Architecture
[roll2]

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-24, 10:57 AM
Wrinkling her nose at the stench, the tall brunette leans against a wall, casting an appraising eye over the room and its contents.

Attempting to identify moss, as well as any animals that could be encountered here:
Knowledge: Nature [roll0]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering (If appropriate) : [roll1]

graham82
2011-11-24, 11:29 AM
Hermino
The lamps are free-hanging lamps from permanent fixtures built out of the wall. They are relatively simple oil lamps, with a simple oil reservoir that is burned for the light. The oil in the one you look at is nearly run down, and you estimate it will be completely empty in a day or two at the most.

Aurelia
The moss is a form of edible lichen, and whilst it will most likely taste horrible it will not kill you to eat it in a pinch. There are no signs of any decent sized animal life here that you can see, but there are droppings in the corners that are likely from rats of some variety.

Caylus
2011-11-24, 12:53 PM
This place reminds me of the old section of the library at home.
We had a person-eating fungus there. It took weeks to study its feeding habits thoroughly enough to write a research paper. Good times.

He speaks to no one in particular.

Can I already see some inscriptions on the doors from a respectful distance? Spot check: [roll0]

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-24, 01:21 PM
Aurelia blinks, trying to make sense of this outburst.

"So you just...stood there for weeks, watching this...MOULD eat people, and just scribbled down notes about it?"

Her eyebrow arches in bewilderment, so high it seems in danger of disappearing into her hairline, before turning away.

"I can't imagine mould being good in libraries anyway. Where there's mould, it's damp, and where it's damp, books fall to pieces and rot, don't they?"

graham82
2011-11-24, 01:50 PM
None of the doors have any markings you can read on them, but on closer inspection the door straight in front of the crack has a space that looks to have previously held a sign of some kind, which has long since been missing...

Caylus
2011-11-24, 06:15 PM
"No, watching it eat people is unethical. My siblings and I took turns being eaten by it. When it noticed we were not edible, most of the times it would let us go. Our master would then scrible down the observations aquired from that experiment. It also ate the occasional burglar. Which was not unethical since they were there to steal books."

Meanwhile, he looks on the ground under the crack whether or not a trace of the sign was still around.

"And yes, normally dampness would be a problem, but the old sections only stored the stone tablets of the lost temple of Aang, who could withstand a bit of moisture. Does anyone see something like a sign or something? Could be important."

Cursory glance search check: [roll0]
And yes, Master Artificer Thorg was a peculiar person to work with.

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-24, 06:33 PM
"A sign? Hmmm..."
Aurelia scans the room, trying to find anything that could possibly fit the description. Her eyes seem to light up at the mention of the tablets, however, and she lifts a hand to hear face, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"Stone tablets, man-eating plants, and lost temples...it all sounds like the stories Mother used to tell, and I and all the kids in the village used to act them out when we played together, it was fun... So, did these stone tablets have any powerful, mysterious secret knowledge, lost for centuries and unknown to everyone except yourself?"

Chained Birds
2011-11-24, 06:48 PM
Spindle

A tentacle reaches out of the bucket and tugs at Spindle's right arm before retreating back to the murk. Nodding to the creature in his bucket, he wanders over to the left-most door.

"The Great Ika tells me we must travel down this path first, to find what we seek."

graham82
2011-11-24, 06:57 PM
The room is remarkable empty. apart from the lichen everywhere, the lamps, and the occasional pile of droppings there really is nothing to see.

Caylus
2011-11-24, 07:37 PM
BX101 answered Aurelia:

"Probably, but since the tongue of the Priests of Aang died with them 126 years ago, we can only make educated guesses... Either the tablets speak of secrets that can turn a person powerful enough to rule the world at the cost of their immortal soul, or they're just records of the agricultural happenings around the temple. Master Thorg would kill to get his hands on the remains of a priest."

He then goes to inspect the stone door on the left.

"I am quite interested in studying the oracular abilities of your pet, Sir Spindle, but what would the best way of approaching an unknown door be? I am quite new to this adventuring business, you see."

Hmmm... what would the best marching order be through the door? I don't mind going first or second, since Warforged are quite robust (and automatically stable under 0 HP, w00t!), but I'm quite worthless in melee combat.

Lemonus
2011-11-24, 07:41 PM
Quarrel emerges last from the tunnel, having gotten stuck in it for a minute. "The best way of approaching an unknown door is to go through it, of course! If you don't go through a door, it may as well be a wall!"

Pazzo
2011-11-24, 08:00 PM
Hermino, somewhat oblivious to the conversations around her, begins to take down one of the torches, carefully lowering it to the ground, as to not spill any oil. "Anyone have some torches? I think I can get us a little more length of light out of them if we soak them in this oil. It will just burn out eventually anyways, no reason to let it go to waste." She says, blowing out the flame and opening oil tray.

Craft (I dunno, it is mechanical sort of, Traps? Or maybe Alchemy)
Traps [roll0]
Alchemy [roll1]
(or Maybe Disable Device?)
[roll2]

Suggested effect, Maybe increase the life of a torch by 50% so the burn for 90 minutes rather than 60?

Chained Birds
2011-11-24, 08:42 PM
"The Great Ika knows all. She speaks to me through all that is squidly and that is how I know where I'm going.
As this school's leader, I shall step forward into the danger that lies ahead."

He proceeds to attempt to open the door before him once an efficient light source is procured.

graham82
2011-11-25, 03:34 AM
On closer inspection to the stone door, you eventually determine that it seems to slide up into the ceiling instead of swinging open like normal, and furthermore that it seems to be locked.

Caylus
2011-11-25, 05:58 AM
Can't we just take the lamps? If we fill one of them with the oil of the other's, we have a more reliable light source than torches. They also might be valuable archaeological relics.
Can we put the lamps in our backpack, or are they fixed against the wall?

graham82
2011-11-25, 06:30 AM
Investigating the lamps, they are all hanging from fixings built into the wall, but are free hanging and simple enough to remove.

Chained Birds
2011-11-25, 08:54 AM
Spindle

Hand on the door, pushing and pulling it every which way, he turns his head to the others. With a slightly nervous/embarrassed look, he tells them,

"It's locked..."

The Big Orc
2011-11-25, 10:43 AM
Milo
"Locked? What door can be locked when you've got me around? Let me at it!"

Milo will walk up to the door and search for the locking mechanism. If he can find it, he will then attempt to unlock it.

Search [roll0]
Open Lock [roll1]

graham82
2011-11-25, 11:11 AM
The lock is a relatively simple mechanism, and after a few minutes poking at it you hear a click and the door simply slides up into the ceiling, making a loud grating noise as it goes and unleashing a cloud of dust.

Beyond the door there is a dark corridor that reaches about 10' across from you, and about 10' to the left before there is a wall there too. To the right it stretches away into the darkness. Across the corridor and slightly to the right there is another door straight in front of you.

The Big Orc
2011-11-25, 11:21 AM
Turning around, and backing into the room, Milo starts dancing "Boo yah, Halflings da bomb." Turning back around, Milo will look around the room and light a torch.

Lemonus
2011-11-25, 04:28 PM
Quarrel waits a ways away from the door, waiting to see what happens when Milo lights a torch.

graham82
2011-11-26, 09:25 AM
Lighting the torch, you can now see that the corridor stretches 10' to the left and 50' to the right. At the far right end there is a wooden door, and another wooden door at the end but in the wall you've just come through. Straight ahead of you, and slightly to the right, there is a wooden door in the wall opposite you. To the left there is nothing.

The black mold is still present here, but nowhere near as abundantly as before, and the smell is greatly lessened here as well.

Chained Birds
2011-11-26, 10:43 AM
Spindle

A tentacle tugs on Spindle's right arm then returns to the bucket.

"The Great Ika tells me we should head to the rightmost door after a thorough investigation of this area."

Pazzo
2011-11-26, 01:20 PM
Hermino sighs and wonders if she should have made a compass, somehow she think she would feel more comfortable following a magnetic needle rather then and prophetical cephalopod. But too little too late as she packs up her tools and follows the group.

Caylus
2011-11-27, 03:17 PM
'Tis a pity my master had no time to teach me the 23-syllable word that smashes rock he knew. Now I can't make a definite notation how many times your pet is correct in the best course of action. I'll note it as "undetermined."

His eyes stare vacant for a quarter of a second while he assesses the relevant topic in his brain and notes down the result.

If you could please lead the way, Rev. Spindle, I'll be eternally grateful.

Lemonus
2011-11-27, 07:17 PM
"Why exactly are we following a squid? I mean, I don't have any better ideas, but I don't exactly see why we should follow a fish in a bucket. No offense."

Chained Birds
2011-11-27, 10:23 PM
Spindle

"I shall lead us further, but first-"

Backhanded slap from 10ft away Attack vs Qurael's Flat-Footed AC
- Attack: [roll0]
- Crit Confirm: [roll1]
- Damage: [roll2] nonlethal
- Crit Damage: [roll3] nonlethal

"Do Not Insult the Great Ika!"

After his attack, he walks to the right-most door and attempts to open it.

Pazzo
2011-11-28, 02:41 AM
Hermino calmly check that her crossbow is loaded, before continuing, muttering, (Dwarven) "Suddenly, the squid appears to be the more trustworthy of the pair . . ." Waiting to see what excitement awaits.

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-28, 05:29 AM
Aurelia sighs, making sure she can easily unsheathe her scythe if she needs to, and follows, muttering under her breath.

"It's not a fish, it's a cephalopod..."

Lemonus
2011-11-28, 07:17 AM
Qurael stumbles backwards, the fall over. "Owwwww. I said no offense, but sorry? I didn't realize the... Great Ika was so important to you."

Sorry about that. I could use a heal, as I'm at 1 now.

Chained Birds
2011-11-28, 08:21 AM
Spindle

He looks back and gives Qurael a refreshing pat on the shoulder.

Casts Cure Minor Wounds on Qurael
- heals 2 nonlethal damage

"The Great Ika is equally forgiving."

Then he continues his attempt on the door.

graham82
2011-11-28, 08:45 AM
Spindle
As you push open the door, there is a click and one of the blocks in the wall adjacent swings out and smacks straight into the side of your head.

[roll0]
[roll1]

9 points of damage taken.

Chained Birds
2011-11-28, 10:31 AM
Spindle

Instinctually protecting the bucket in his hands from spilling, he backs away from the doorway.
Addressing his companion:

"Ouch... I hope the sudden impact didn't disturb you."

There is no comment from the bucket which satisfies Spindle. He will now wait for doors to be searched for traps before proceeding to open them.

OOC:
Spindle is at 2 HP.

Caylus
2011-11-28, 10:47 AM
Traps mean there's something worth protecting down there! I'm excited! And I guess that means the score is 1-0 for your pet, reverend!

BX101's eyes grow vacant again for a quarter of a second.

He then looks at the bruised face of Spindle.

You need that taken care of?

Pazzo
2011-11-28, 11:20 AM
Calmly walking over, careful not to step exactly where Spindle did, Hermino examines the trap, checking if it is going to automatically reset. Either way she takes out her tools and tries to disable it.

Search
[roll0]
Disable Device
[roll1]

"Milo, perhaps you should check my work? You have a better eye for this sort of thing, I must admit." She says, looking slightly embarrassed.

graham82
2011-11-28, 11:26 AM
What you see is now a block of stone hanging from a wire attached to the ceiling immediately above the door. You can find no reset mechanism, short of physically putting the block back in place in the wall, but can easily pull it down if you want to...

As you're investigating, you head a moaning noise coming from the other side of the door...

Chained Birds
2011-11-28, 11:29 AM
Spindle

He then looks at the bruised face of Spindle.

[COLOR="DimGray"]You need that taken care of?

"Yes kind metallic ally of faith. I would prefer to leave my 1 remaining healing for a more important occasion. I probably woundn't fair all to well against most foes in my current condition. "

He gives BX101 a bow while Hermino checks for other traps.

Caylus
2011-11-28, 11:41 AM
BX101 looks at the door.
"That moaning sounds... dangerous. Thanks for the bow, by the way"

He quickly applies the Quick-healing Theorem first proposed by the Mad Mathematians of Extor to Spindle, and then gets in formation.

CMW: [roll0] HP for Spindle.
Birds, I take it I also got a quiver for the bow?

Pazzo
2011-11-28, 12:12 PM
"Hmmm . . . I think I have an idea~!" Hermino cheers, with a dangerous look in her eyes. She draws her crossbow, and takes aim at the wire, suggestion that everyone moves back, and invites whatever lays behind the door to come to them, even opening it more for them if needed. Or better yet, we could reset the trap first if that is agreeable.

Lemonus
2011-11-28, 03:56 PM
Qurael nods to Spindle in thanks as he is healed, and stands up. At the sound of moaning he rubs his hands together in anticipation of a chance to sling spells, sending small sparks into the air.

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-28, 04:24 PM
Aurelia nods curtly, and unsheathes her bow, nocking an arrow and aiming through the doorway.

The Big Orc
2011-11-28, 06:24 PM
Has the door been properly opened yet? So confused lol

Milo will confirm that there are no more traps and then push the door fully open if he finds none.

Search [roll0]

graham82
2011-11-28, 06:44 PM
the door had been opened a crack but that's all

Searching around reveals no other traps that you can find. After this, you push the door harder to swing it wide open. Behind the door is a tiny closet of a room - barely 10' square. in the light leaking in though you see a humanoid shape lurching towards the doorway...

initiative

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-28, 06:52 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

The Big Orc
2011-11-28, 07:07 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Chained Birds
2011-11-28, 09:14 PM
Spindle

"Hmm, perhaps this creature means use no harm?"

Initiative roll
- [roll0]

"Then again..."

Spindle will attempt to draw his scimitar before any combat occurs after setting down the Great Ika.

Knowledge (nature) check
- [roll1]

Caylus
2011-11-29, 08:04 AM
BX101's brain sizzles as he attempts to retrieve all the data he has ever had about lurching humanoids.

I can say, with an uncertainty of < 0.05, that this specimen is probably a Homo Zombiens, first discribed after experiments of Ted the Necromancer, lord of a thousand Deaths two thousand years ago.

Their vulnerabilities include: reducing them to a pulp, raising their body temperature above 600 degrees Celcius, or hacking at them with sufficiently sharp objects. Thank you for your attention.

He then waits for a good moment to do something.

I delay my turn.

Chained Birds
2011-11-29, 08:18 AM
Spindle

Spindle moves within 10ft of the zombie and readies an action to strike it.

Held scimitar attack vs Zombie's AC
- Damage: [roll1] slashing damage

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-29, 08:37 AM
Aurelia furrows her brow, glaring at the shambling form in the doorway.

"A zombie?"
She bares her teeth and scowls angrily, dropping her bow and arrow.

Unsheathing her scythe, she runs towards the zombie and swings at it.

Moving next to the zombie, and drawing the scythe as part of the move action.
Attack roll vs. Zombie AC : [roll0]
Damage : [roll1] slashing damage

The Big Orc
2011-11-29, 10:43 AM
Milo will draw a dagger and flick it at the zombie. After Milo will take a 5ft step backwards

Move action: Draw Dagger
Standard action: Ranged Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
If I act before the zombie, sneak attack damage [roll2]
Free action: 5ft step away from the door

Pazzo
2011-11-29, 11:16 AM
Hermino lets lose a bolt, then hastefully reloads. This is her first time seeing the undead, so she is noticeably shaken, so she tries to stay close to BX.

Standard Action
Fire Light Crossbow
[roll0]
Move Action
Reload Crossbow
Ammo 19/20

Pazzo
2011-11-29, 11:18 AM
Whoops, forgot damage! :smalleek:
[roll0]

graham82
2011-11-29, 11:55 AM
From the onslaught of damage everyone piles upon it, the zombie just crumples to the floor before it even got a chance to react to you barging in on it...

Seriously? Not one of you missed?

HearTheRequiem
2011-11-29, 12:10 PM
Pulling her scythe out of the quivering mound of flesh, and wiping it on a cloth she pulls from her pocket, Aurelia sighs with relief.
"And...it's dead. Would you all please wait for me a moment? I need to go get my bow..."

Assuming no shenanigans, Aurelia will just go back into the hall, pick up her bow and the arrow, then come back.

The Big Orc
2011-11-29, 12:35 PM
Milo will search the body and retrieve his dagger

Search check [roll0]

Pazzo
2011-11-29, 12:45 PM
Shying away from the dead-not-dead-dead-thing, Hermino will busy herself with searching around the new room.

Search
[roll0]

graham82
2011-11-29, 01:02 PM
Now that you have time to take in your surroundings properly, you notice that the room seems to be entirely empty of anything apart from the now still body. There is however a strange row of symbols that nobody can make out running all the way around the room at about shoulder height [on a human]. They appear to be painted in a reddish paint.

Searching the corpse you find an empty leather pouch, and a broken short sword. Searching the room you find nothing at all, but there does seem to be some evidence that indicates you weren't the first people here doing this...

Caylus
2011-11-29, 04:47 PM
Interesting script. I have not encountered it before. Did anyone else?
For future reference, I'll store it, so when we find how to translate it, we don't have to return here.

Taking 20 on an autohypnosis check to memorize the precise string of symbols. Is there another door in this room?

graham82
2011-11-29, 05:01 PM
There are no other exits you can see apart from the one you just came through

Lemonus
2011-11-29, 05:07 PM
"Aw, I didn't even get to attack it!"

Pazzo
2011-11-29, 06:06 PM
"I can fix this," Hermino says, looking over the broken short sword. "But could someone else carry it for now? I might have packed too many tools . . ."

Appraise
[roll0]
To check the sword condition, and it's craftsmanship (Age, Area, etc)

Chained Birds
2011-11-29, 08:10 PM
Spindle

"I'll carry the burden. If the dead man would have followed the Squidly Way, he may have avoided such a fate."

He'll give the broken weapon to his companion in the bucket if it is made of metal to avoid breaking his druidy vows. He then proceeds to sheath his sword and carry his companion once again.

Lemonus
2011-11-29, 08:38 PM
"What's the 'Squidly Way'?

Chained Birds
2011-11-29, 09:25 PM
"What's the 'Squidly Way'?

Spindle

"It is the path of salvation to all land dwellers who seek to protect themselves from the approaching Squidly Invasion lead by the Ruler of All Oceans. Her furry will cleanse the earth of all its foul ways leading only those who respect the oceans and/or follow the Squidly Way.
When the invasion occurs, you and the school present here will be saved by the Great Ika who speaks the word of the Squidly One!"

He presents his companion above his head as though it were Simba from the Lion King, before returning it back to the cool waters of the large bucket.

Lemonus
2011-11-29, 09:36 PM
"... Interesting. Can the 'Great Ika' breathe air?"

The Big Orc
2011-11-29, 10:41 PM
"Err, no offense but I doubt that some squidly invasion is gonna come rule the world. I mean, I am pretty sure that squids can't survive over land, otherwise the thing in the bucket wouldn't need to be in the bucket right?" Milo questions while backing away from the body.

Chained Birds
2011-11-29, 10:57 PM
Spindle

Spindle grabs the squid from the bucket and places it on his head. The creature makes 8 braids out of his long hair in the back by coiling its tentacles leaving its 2 primary tentacles in front of Spindle dangling freely. The bluish squid's body matches the color of Spindle's clothing and the entire appearance makes the squid look like a large, realistic hat.

"She can do just fine out of the water. Squids are very versatile."

While saying that, the front tentacles grabbed hold of the bucket freeing Spindle's hands to make a mocking finger wag.

Caylus
2011-11-30, 02:28 PM
Can someone check the other wooden door for traps? Maybe there's a clue to decipher those etchings there.

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-02, 04:49 AM
Aurelia, once again carrying her bow, comes back into the room.

"Found anything interesting?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-02, 10:59 AM
Can someone check the other wooden door for traps? Maybe there's a clue to decipher those etchings there.

Spindle

"I'm going nowhere near those doors unless you wish for me to open them from afar and at an angle. I'm wise enough not to repeat past errors in judgment, though this place seemed fairly safe at first."

The Big Orc
2011-12-02, 12:39 PM
Milo will search the door and disable any traps he finds

search [roll0]
disable device [roll1]

graham82
2011-12-02, 12:56 PM
After a hunt around you don't see anything dangerous about the door...

Caylus
2011-12-03, 06:21 AM
I believe I'm the most durable resource here, after Rev. Spindle of course.

Without further ado he prepares himself for a nasty surprise, and opens the door.
+4 AC as a standard action (full defense) and a move action to open the door.

graham82
2011-12-03, 07:06 AM
You push on the door, and nothing happens. the door doesn't appear to be locked, but it won't budge...

Pazzo
2011-12-03, 12:52 PM
"Perhaps this requires a more . . . 'delicate' touch, boys~" Hermino pipes up, walking towards the door, drawing her tools as she walks. Looking the door over closely, she will attempt to open it, by bypassing the door all together. If it opens toward them, she will take out a hammer and a pin punch, and remove the hinge pins. If it opens away from them, she will take a spanner and press it through the seem to find where the hinges are attached, and then use a small drill to disconnect them from this side.
Disable Device
Take 10 + 8 = 18

graham82
2011-12-03, 01:45 PM
After some tinkering, and bashing, and muttering, and some more tinkering, you get the hinges off of the door, and manage to pull the door out. When you get the door off and can examine it, you discover that the hinges have rusted and seized solid, not budging in the slightest.

Behind the door is another small room - about the same size as it's neighbour. There is absolutely nothing in the room at all - no markings, no furnishings, no anything - apart from a large ironbound chest right in the center. The floor and the chest have a thick layer of dust covering them that look like they haven't been touched in a while.

Pazzo
2011-12-03, 05:16 PM
Hermino will wait for Milo to examine and open the chest, trying to provide assistance in any event.

Aid Another (DC 10 to give Milo +2 on the check)
Search
[roll0]
Disable Device
[roll1]
Open Lock
[roll2]

I swear Milo, if you roll all 1's . . .

Lemonus
2011-12-03, 08:27 PM
"Awesome! Treasure! And Spindle, when will the Squidly Invasion happen?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-03, 10:04 PM
"Awesome! Treasure! And Spindle, when will the Squidly Invasion happen?"

Spindle

"Soon, within our generation at least.

After the chest has been checked, I'll use my Squidly arms to open it from afar just to be on the safe side. Any complaints with that plan."

Lemonus
2011-12-03, 10:08 PM
"What are your Squidly Arms?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-03, 10:26 PM
"What are your Squidly Arms?"

Spindle

"My arms, blessed by the Great Squidly One at birth."

The Big Orc
2011-12-03, 10:57 PM
Milo walks up to the chest, "Oooh this looks like fun! Hermino give me a hand with this, I want to make sure I don't miss anything."

Milo will search the chest, disable any traps and then attempt to unlock it. (include the +2 bonuses)
Search [roll0]
Disable Device [roll1]
Open Lock [roll2]

Edit: Well, I didnt roll ALL 1s

Pazzo
2011-12-04, 12:17 AM
Hermino shoves Milo out of the way while he stares at his shoes, taking a good look at and around the chest. Then she points out what she saw so he can do something about it. :smalltongue:

graham82
2011-12-04, 05:20 AM
Milo
You try your best to examine the chest, and despite the interruptions from Hermino eventually determine that theres probably nothing dangerous you can find about it...

The Big Orc
2011-12-04, 01:28 PM
Alright, then Milo will attempt to open the chest, picking the lock (with above roll) if needed

graham82
2011-12-05, 07:38 AM
The lid of the chest is stiff, from age, but not locked. With some brute force you manage to open it with a loud banging and a huge plume of dust as it drops down the back. Inside the chest is a puddle of water, and sat in this are:

A leather pouch
A rusty iron hook
A candelebra

The Big Orc
2011-12-05, 10:43 AM
Milo will start flinging items out of the chest, "Garbage," he cries as the leather pouch flies backwards. "Garbage," as the rusty hook is flung. He holds onto the candelabra examining it with a sellers eye.
Appraise [roll0]

is the Candelabra shiny, rusty, made of gold, made of copper, etc etc

The Big Orc
2011-12-05, 04:07 PM
bump to see my earlier post :P

Lemonus
2011-12-05, 04:10 PM
Qurael reaches down and picks the leather pouch off of the ground, peering inside.

Caylus
2011-12-05, 05:09 PM
Well, its seems like there were people here before, and took everything interesting with them. I do wonder why they locked the door, if there was nothing valuable left. The zombie was quickly dispatched with, they should have managed to kill him, if they were worried he would escape that chamber.

He begins tapping the wall, motioning the others to join him.
"Maybe there are secrets in the wall. Secrets waiting to be uncovered."
BX101 is searching for possible hollow places in the wall. He aides another with hopefully a keener ear.
Is that a listen or a search check?
Listen: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

Pazzo
2011-12-05, 08:09 PM
"The door wasn't locked, it was jammed, most likely due to age." Hermino says, inspecting the hook further. "And from the look of this rust it has been some years since anyone was down here."

Appraise
To determine age / aging on the metal hook, as well as purpose.
1d20+7

graham82
2011-12-06, 05:32 AM
Hermino
[roll0]
The hook is a grapling hook, but without any rope attached any more. From the rust it would appear to be months if not years old.

Qurael
The leather pouch is empty, but from impressions inside it looks like it used to be used as a money pouch

Milo
The candelabra looks like garbage as well, but on closer inspection you determine it is actually solid silver but badly aged and tarnished.

The Big Orc
2011-12-06, 10:40 AM
"Hmm, this might be worth something if we can get it fixed up, this thing is pure silver underneath the wear and tear of all the years!"

Chained Birds
2011-12-06, 11:35 AM
Spindle

"How unfortunate. If it were wood, I'd gladly carry it in the name of all that is Squidly."

He looks at the other items with fleeting interest.

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-06, 11:47 AM
"It's silver? Hmmm, if we can fix it up, we could get a good price for it...I'll take it, if you want."

Aurelia reaches out to take the candelabra.

Lemonus
2011-12-06, 03:58 PM
"Spindle, why can't you carry metal?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-06, 04:09 PM
"Spindle, why can't you carry metal?"

Spindle

"Because it goes against my vows. Though not my Squidly vows, they are vows I must not break in order to cast my Squidly spells. Also, the Great Ika detests metal as it makes the water taste weird."

Lemonus
2011-12-06, 04:13 PM
"I suppose that makes sense. What are your Squidly Vows?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-06, 09:36 PM
"I suppose that makes sense. What are your Squidly Vows?"

Spindle

"Secret vows made to The Great Squidly One. Only those that follow the Squidly Way and join the great school may hear them. So, do you wish to be a permanent member?!"

He holds out his long arms and grabs Qurael's hands with an enthusiastic look in both his and The Great Ika's eyes. Great Ika's piercing squid eyes.

Lemonus
2011-12-06, 10:05 PM
"Ummmmm... I'll think about it, OK? I'm not sure I'm ready to convert to a religion as great as the Squidly Way."
What have I gotten myself into? There's a crazy cultist and his pet squid who want me to believe that a giant squid will end everything. Qurael thinks to himself.

Chained Birds
2011-12-06, 10:17 PM
"Ummmmm... I'll think about it, OK? I'm not sure I'm ready to convert to a religion as great as the Squidly Way."

Spindle

"Well, the Great Ika will be disappointed but she recovers fast. Anyway, let's travel to the next area. Trap-smiths, lead the way."

Spindle addresses the next unopened door and stand off to the side. The squid upon his shoulders seems to have no change in emotions and continues her piercing stare at Qurael... Then subsiding into the uninterested look she always has.

graham82
2011-12-07, 03:14 AM
Looking out of the door to this room, there is a door to your immediate left - with a dead zombie in it - and doors to the left and right at the far end of the corridor...

The Big Orc
2011-12-07, 10:11 AM
"Let's try this door!" Milo exclaims, jumping up running from where he was examining the chest. He hands the candelabra to Aurelia then runs to the door at the far right of the corridor. His eyes and hands wander over the door and surrounding area searching for hidden traps

Search [roll0]

graham82
2011-12-07, 10:22 AM
The door again seems to be one that opens by sliding into the ceiling instead of on hinges, but otherwise you can't find anything special or dangerous about it...

Chained Birds
2011-12-08, 09:21 PM
Spindle

"Hold The Great Ika for me Qurael. As you have shown great interest in the Squidly Way, I'll put my trust in you in keeping her safe if something jumps out while I'm busy openning this door."

He reluctantly hands the bluish squid to Qurael after untangling her from his hair. Ika immediately grasps onto Qurael's shoulder. Lucky for Qurael, squids tend not to weigh much and shouldn't prove a hindrance in case of combat, though a bit distracting.

Preparing himself for a potential trap, he announces his attempt at openning the door using his long arms. Separated by at least 5ft of empty space between him and the door, he begins openning it.

Lemonus
2011-12-08, 09:56 PM
Qurael looks quite startled, and tries to refuse holding the squid, but she's on his shoulder before he can respond. He concentrates very hard, and tries not to notice that there is a squid on his shoulder. "There is not a squid on my shoulder there is not a squid on my should. There is a squid on my shoulder. DEAR EHLONNA, THERE IS A SQUID ON MY SHOULDER!"

graham82
2011-12-09, 03:58 AM
You slide the door up carefully, to reveal a moderate sized room that looks like it was once a library, a long time ago. The walls are lined with bookshelves, and a table in the middle of the room has a couple of stacks of books on it as well. The whole room stinks of mold however, and from some puddles of what you desperately hope is water you can tell that the library has been disused for a good while.

On the right hand wall as you look in there is a wooden door, and on the left hand wall there is a stone door. Besides the stone door there is a small chest.

Besides the wooden door you notice there are four orcs huddled around a fire. As you open the door, two of them hear the noise and look up at you before uttering something incomprehensible to their friends.

Milo only

What the that spoke said was along the lines of "Looks like dinner"

Caylus
2011-12-09, 06:46 AM
Hello fellow humanoids! I am afraid I do not speak your language. You do not speak Common, per chance?

BX101 says over the shoulder of Spindle, while eyeing the books.

Lemonus
2011-12-09, 07:20 AM
"Spindle? Do you think you could take back the Great Ika?Her... Presence on my shoulder might interfere with my casting."

graham82
2011-12-09, 07:27 AM
BX101
The one that spoke earlier looks at you with a vague hint of comprehension on his face, but doesn't respond in any way.

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-09, 09:49 AM
Aurelia scowls, and, since she's already holding a bow with an arrow nocked, tries to aim surreptitiously at the closest Orc.

Not sure what check to make. Do I need a check for this?

The Big Orc
2011-12-09, 09:57 AM
"We are NOT dinner!" Milo will draw a dagger into both hands.
when I read that, it seemed it could be taken 2 ways. I am drawing 2 daggers, 1 into each hand not 1 dagger and wielding it 2 handed

Initiative? [roll0]

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-09, 10:03 AM
Oh, also initiative!
[roll0]

graham82
2011-12-09, 10:23 AM
Map

A B C D E F G H I J
+--+--+--+--+-D1D-+--+--+.....|
1| ¦ ¦ ¦O1¦O2¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
|.......................|.....|
2| ¦ ¦ ¦O3¦O4¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
3| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
4| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
5| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ D ¦Sp|
|.......................3.....|
6| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ D ¦BX|
| ¦CC¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
|--+--+-D2D-+--+--+--+--+.....|
7 | ¦ |
| ¦ |
|..¦..|
8 | ¦ |
| ¦ |

Each square is a 5'x5' square as normal. ".." and "¦" characters are just grid lines. "-" and "|" are walls.

T = Table
C = Chest
D1 = Wooden Door
D2 = Stone Door
D3 = Door you're stood at
AB = Aurelia [20]
O2 = Orc [11]
O1 = Orc [9]
MT = Milo [8]
O4 = Orc [8]
HM = Hermino [6]
BX = BX101 [5]
O3 = Orc [-1]
Sp = Spindle
QB = Qurael

I'm not sure where everyone else is, so you'll have to fill in the blanks.

Caylus
2011-12-09, 10:59 AM
BX101 looks at the orcs, able to guess what they were saying.

I am afraid I'm not edible. Trying to eat me could result in broken teeth, ruptured stomachs, heavy metal poisoning, or all of the above. Please ask me if there are any unclarities left after this announcement.

Something like "They look yummie" or something like that?
Initiative: [roll0]

Pazzo
2011-12-09, 11:48 AM
". . . Orcs in a Library, now I know I must be dreaming." Hermino saws, raising her Crossbow.

Initiative
[roll0]

Chained Birds
2011-12-09, 04:02 PM
Spindle

Ika will climb over to Spindle's head using his initiative. Spindle will draw his weapon and ready an action to strike if they come into his range of attack.

Readied Attack
- Damage: [roll1]
- Crit Attack: [roll2]
- Crit Damage: [roll3]

Attack of Opportunity if they provoke due to reach
- Attack: [roll4]
- Damage: [roll5]
- Crit Attack: [roll6]
- Crit Damage: [roll7]

Edit: FAIL!!!

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-09, 04:40 PM
Aurelia starts at J7, and will move to E6 to get a clear shot at Ogre #4.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll]1d8+1[roll]

Pazzo
2011-12-10, 01:53 PM
Hermino will move to J-4, and take a shot at the slowest reacting she can see orc.

Move action - Move to J4
Standard action - Attack
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Lemonus
2011-12-10, 02:09 PM
Qurael moves to F6, and performs a small incantation, then points his finger at an orc. A small bolt of green energy shoots forth and slams it in the chest.

Magic Missile at O1
[roll0] Force damage.

The Big Orc
2011-12-11, 11:36 AM
Move to G2 and throw my dagger at O4
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack if I go before target [roll2]

Critical Contingency (19-20) [roll3]
Crit Damage [roll4]

graham82
2011-12-11, 04:17 PM
Spindle stays in the doorway protecting himself and the Great Ika from any harm that may come their way, though thankfully none does.

Aurelia and Milo both move closer and let off shots at one of the orcs, dropping it dead before it can do anything.

One of the orcs rushes towards Aurelia and takes a swing which glances off of his shoulder. His companion moves up as well to support.

Hermino moves across the door loosing a shot at another of the orcs, also causing it to drop to the floor.

Qurael moves into the room and points at the orc that has just swung at Aurelia, causing it to gasp out in pain and drop at Aurelia's feet.

A B C D E F G H I J
+--+--+--+--+-D1D-+--+--+.....|
1| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
2| ¦ ¦ ¦O3¦O4¦ ¦MT¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
3| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
4| ¦ ¦ ¦ T¦TT¦T ¦ ¦ | ¦HM|
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
5| ¦ ¦O2¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ D ¦Sp|
|.......................3.....|
6| ¦ ¦ ¦O1¦AB¦QB¦ ¦ D ¦BX|
| ¦CC¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ | ¦ |
|--+--+-D2D-+--+--+--+--+.....|
7 | ¦ |
| ¦ |
|..¦..|
8 | ¦ |
| ¦ |

Each square is a 5'x5' square as normal. ".." and "¦" characters are just grid lines. "-" and "|" are walls.

T = Table
C = Chest
D1 = Wooden Door
D2 = Stone Door
D3 = Door you're stood at
Sp = Spindle [22]
AB = Aurelia [20]
O2 = Orc [11]
MT = Milo [8]
HM = Hermino [6]
BX = BX101 [5]
QB = Qurael [3]

Chained Birds
2011-12-11, 04:58 PM
Spindle

Spindle shouts out to the remaining Orc in common,

"Lay down your arms and we shall spare you."

Spindle will await a response from the Orc.

Diplomacy Check
- [roll0]

The Big Orc
2011-12-11, 05:03 PM
Milo will move to E2 to retrieve his dagger and search the orcs body.

Search [roll0]

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-11, 05:29 PM
Aurelia glowers at the last standing Orc, training her bow upon it, and snarling in an attempt to disconcert it.

"And if you don't...We'll kill you where you stand."

Intimidate check: [roll0]

graham82
2011-12-11, 05:43 PM
Seeing what had just happened to his companions, the remaining orc threw his weapon down and fell to the floor, cowering in fear.

Chained Birds
2011-12-11, 05:56 PM
Spindle

"Okay, now does anyone actually speak Orc, because some interrogation might be in order?
Man of steel BX101, you seemed to have understood their conversation."

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-11, 05:59 PM
Aurelia calls out to the group, her bow still trained on the orc.

"There's a chest here, too, if someone wants to take a look at it. I'd do it myself, but there needs to be someone making sure the Orc doesn't run off."

Lemonus
2011-12-11, 07:53 PM
"That was fun! I'll go open the chest." Qurael then walks over and opens the chest, with only a quick glance for any traps.

Take 10 on a Search check for an 11.

Pazzo
2011-12-12, 02:34 AM
Hermino will reload her Crossbow, and give the orcs a look over before turning her attention to the books.

Search(es)
[roll0]
[roll1]

graham82
2011-12-12, 07:38 AM
The chest is mostly empty again, containing lots of scraps of cloth and paper but nothing of any value. After some digging through all of the waste you come across two vials containing a pale green liquid. The labels have been totally lost however.

Most of the books are too badly damaged from mildew and rot to be worth salvaging. There are a huge collection of different books, ranging on history books to politics and architecture, and even some books on magical theory. After some digging through the remains of the books you come across a pile of magic scrolls, also badly damaged from the conditions of the room. However, one of them looks like it has been protected enough to still be readable.

Caylus
2011-12-12, 03:08 PM
I believe Lady Milo speaks their tongue. I'm afraid my language skills are rather... lacking. Well, nothing to be done about it.

He approaches the orc, from an angle that still leaves the orc exposed fully for Aurelia's bow, and kicks away the sword before retrieving a rope from his backpack and attempting to constrain the orc.

He then moves to the still bodies of the orcs and taps them on certain pressure points on their bodies.

"These may still have some information, if that one is lacking. Or lying."

Use rope check (take 10): 14.
DC escape artist check to escape it, 24.

I heal two Orcs with a cure minor wounds, to make them stable.

Lemonus
2011-12-12, 03:31 PM
Qurael holds up the two green liquids. "Can anyone recognize these?"

Pazzo
2011-12-12, 07:30 PM
"I'll try to learn what I can, but I can't promise much, sorry :smallfrown:" Hermino says, taking one of the vials in hand and focusing on it for a minute. Then the other. Lastly she turns her attention to the undamaged scroll.

Artificer Knowledge (DC 15)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Spellcraft Check (DC 20 + Level)
[roll2]

graham82
2011-12-13, 07:28 AM
Hermino

You take the potions in hand and study them, having a good look at the liquid, taking a sniff and a very slight taste and everything else that comes to mind. The liquid is pale green all the way through, but actually looks slightly darker towards the bottom of the vial. It has an absolutely foul odour about it that you can almost place, but not quite, and has a slight chocolate taste to it. You determine that they are made from the same original source, and are supernatural in their effects, but other than the fact that it has a positive effect on the body you can't tell any more from this studying.

The scroll you can clearly make out to be arcane in nature, and of a low power level that even a starting caster would be able to use, but the actual nature of the spell itself eludes you.

Pazzo
2011-12-13, 06:20 PM
"Hmmm, the liquids are of the same stock, and defiantly magical in nature. From the consistency, I would imagine they are potions rather than oils as well. The scroll is arcane, and of one of the lower circles of power, but I cannot tell you more than that at the moment, I'm afraid." Rolling up the scroll and capping the bottles. She turns, picking up the three least broken down of the remaining scrolls, carefully packing them away. "With some mending, these might be usable to scribe new scrolls later~"

Caylus
2011-12-13, 06:58 PM
Hmmm... I remember I have some notes about the mending ritual of Rozzak the Broken Whole, but I have to study them tonight to be able to repair that paper.

BX101 then looks at the captured Orcs.

But I'm actually curious how we're going to extract the information we need from these fellows. I may have some quick torture methods passed down by the prophet Magdar, if I need to be of assistance...

His tone doesn't change at all between discussing the mending of a piece of paper and the torturing of a sentient humanoid.

Knowledge religion check to summon up some handy tidbits of information :smallbiggrin: : [roll0]

Lemonus
2011-12-14, 09:18 PM
"I have an idea... Qurael walks up to the orcs and throws some dust in their faces while muttering some mumbo-jumbo. "There we go. If any of you lie to us, you will be wracked by a most horrible pain."

Bluff: [roll0]

graham82
2011-12-15, 05:34 AM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

The orc looks terrified at what you say, and blurts out in broken common "You no hurt! I tell!"

Caylus
2011-12-17, 05:00 AM
Oh, so you do speak Common! I would appreciate some notes on your tongue later, but I suppose we should for now concern us with possible ambushes of your kind later in these tunnels, a general layout of this place,and why the place is crawling with Zombies.

Chained Birds
2011-12-17, 12:56 PM
Spindle

"Speaking common; then if you can read common take this."

He hands the Orc a flyer which reads in common:

"Have you heard the Squidly Word?
Do you feel that gods like Pelor and Wee Jas just don't cut it for you anymore, then why not join the Squidly way and be one of the many disciples of the Great Squidly One. You'll be spared from the upcoming Squidly Ivasion, and find peace in yourself and the world around you after taking the secret Squidly Vows and following the Squidly Way.
See a Squidly Priest for more information."

graham82
2011-12-18, 05:20 AM
No ambush! We no ambush anyone! We trapped, looking way out but no find it!

Caylus
2011-12-19, 07:41 AM
"Well, do you per chance know what these runes mean?"

He writes the symbols from the other room in the dirt.

graham82
2011-12-19, 02:51 PM
The orc just looks blankly at you, whilst still cowering in fear on the floor.

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-20, 02:36 PM
"Well, if you're telling the truth, I guess we could have a use for you. We've already found one door that was trapped, and it damn near killed one of us, so I'm not going to take any chances with the rest. You're going to come with us, and you'll open the doors for us when we ask you to. Provided you're telling the truth, and you're just looking for the way out, you'll find it if you open enough doors.

But try to attack, or run away, anything like that?"

With this, Aurelia makes a great show of drawing the string of her bow back as far as possible, making her intentions very clear.

"And I shoot you where you stand."

Intimidate?
[roll0]

Chained Birds
2011-12-20, 03:17 PM
Spindle

"But rest assure that you are not forced to engage in combat if it should come up. As a prisoner and potential new follower of the Squidly Way, it would be truly unfortunate for you to die. The Great Squidly One is forgiving of those who were once enemies turned allies, or at the very least no longer perform antagonistic actions towards her followers."

He gives the Orc a reassuring pat on the should with Ika doing the same, before grabbing him by the arm and directing him towards the nearest unopened door. He then signals for a trap search before taking a step to the right away from the Orc.

graham82
2011-12-21, 05:19 AM
Intimidate vs: [roll0]

No. Shant. You want kill me with dangerous rooms so you don't need kill me yourself!

Chained Birds
2011-12-21, 06:27 AM
Spindle

"Think of it like a trial. If you pass the trial of openning up the doors we encounter (that we have already checked for traps and etc.) and survive, you will be given a second chance at life. Now doesn't that sound better than being killed off by an arrow to the head from my Squidly ally over there? It is either certain death here or a chance to escape and life later.
And like I said before, you don't need to fight whatever (if anything) we find on the other side. Heck, as a potential newcomer to the Squidly Way, I'd even throw in some excess loot so you don't walk out of here empty handed."

Diplomacy: [roll0]
- attempting to make him see the brighter points of openning doors instead of being killed off as a liability.

graham82
2011-12-21, 08:35 AM
The orc considers this, You check door first, I open, I go free?

Chained Birds
2011-12-21, 10:06 AM
The orc considers this, You check door first, I open, I go free?

Spindle

"Doors, but yes. Once you have openned all the doors we tell you to, you may go free. So let's start with this one."

He addresses his school,

"Can I get a search over here?"

graham82
2011-12-21, 10:38 AM
All doors? How many doors?, but looking resigned to the fact he doesn't get a say any more...

Lemonus
2011-12-21, 06:18 PM
"Spindle, the treasure for the orc goes out of your share, got it?"

Chained Birds
2011-12-21, 08:20 PM
"Spindle, the treasure for the orc goes out of your share, got it?"

Spindle

"The Great Ika has generously allowed her share of the treasure to go to mr Orc. By the way, what is your name? And better yet, let us give a blessing to your fallen."

Spindle clasps his hands together and makes a solemn prayer for the nameless dead.

Caylus
2011-12-22, 10:39 AM
BX101 points at two Orcs.

Those are still alive. I didn't know whether or not Orcs were a limited resource around here.

Chained Birds
2011-12-22, 12:56 PM
Those are still alive. I didn't know whether or not Orcs were a limited resource around here.

Spindle

"Then the Squidly dead one received extra prayer."

The Big Orc
2011-12-25, 10:36 AM
"I have a problem with forcing a prisoner to open doors for us. What if he decides to join our enemies when they attack us? Either slit his throat now or tie him up and let him loose when we are on our way out," Milo says as he walks over to the door the others mentioned checking.

Search [roll0]
Disable Device [roll1]
Open Lock [roll2]

graham82
2011-12-25, 10:52 AM
The door appears to be safe, but the wood has warped slightly from damp and age and it won't open easily

Chained Birds
2011-12-25, 11:34 AM
Spindle

"I will not allow a prisoner to die under my watch. But I also will not allow anyone to not pull their own weight, even if they are our prisoner.
And it would be far better for sir Orc to follow our orders instead of trying to join whatever/whoever is still around her. The Great Ika seems to be very uncertain about what lies ahead.

Now sir Orc, open the door! Have faith, and you will walk freely with your living friends again!"

With enough distance between him and the Orc (10ft from the Orc and within Spindle's reach), Spindle readies to grab and move the Orc from the door if something bad happens; to help the poor guy out.

graham82
2011-12-25, 05:00 PM
Strength: [roll0]

The orc pushes at the door and it refuses to budge. Heaving on it harder, the door slips in the frame and bursts open, with the orc falling through under the sudden impact into the corridor beyond.

The corridor that you can see goes straight ahead of the door, with a left turn 10' away, and also round to the right slightly immediately through the door.

Pazzo
2011-12-26, 02:39 PM
"Um guys, I think that door opened OUTWARDS" :smalltongue:

Chained Birds
2011-12-26, 03:51 PM
Spindle

"Let's venture forth. Sir Orc, you remain in the back, but not at the rear. We don't want you sneaking away nor getting picked off by an enemy."

Spindle will lead the group with scimitar drawn. The left door seems fine so that's where he's heading if there are no complaints.

graham82
2011-12-27, 11:46 AM
The corridor opens up to the left to a longer passageway leading another 30' away, with a solid iron door on the immediate left of this passageway and a wooden door on the right a bit further away.

+-----+
| ¦ |
|..¦..|
| ¦ |
+-------DDD-------+..¦..|
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ |
|....................¦..|
| ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ |
+-------------DDD--..¦..+-----+
| ¦ ¦ ¦ |
|..¦..¦..¦..|
| ¦ ¦ ¦ |
+-DDD-------+

Bottom door is where you've just come from

Caylus
2011-12-30, 06:13 AM
Meanwhile, BX101 studies the ground to hopefully find some footprints from the people who raided this place before.
Search :[roll0]

graham82
2011-12-30, 08:34 AM
The floor is made from flagstones, and the only tracks you can find in the dust is from yourselves or from the orcs that you just encountered...

Caylus
2012-01-02, 03:54 PM
"Hmmm... mrs. Tealeaf, would you be so kind as to check the iron door for some traps? There must be something worth protecting behind it, if not robbed empty by those before us."

The Big Orc
2012-01-02, 05:26 PM
"That is MR Tealeaf!" Milo searches the door

Search [roll0]

graham82
2012-01-02, 08:26 PM
The door is unlocked and opens outwards into the corridor. the hinges look rusty but still serviceable. otherwise the door is essentially a big slab of iron.

Chained Birds
2012-01-02, 09:30 PM
Spindle

"After you, sir Orc."

graham82
2012-01-03, 01:30 PM
The orc, muttering but going along with it for the sake of his life, pulls on the iron door opening it wide. As the door opens, there is a click and a length of razor wire comes tight across the opening bouncing off of Spindle but slicing right through the Orcs leg completely severing it.

Chained Birds
2012-01-03, 01:42 PM
Spindle

"How unfortunate, can we get a Squidly heal over here?"

Spindle will try to stop the bleeding using ripped pieces of his robes.

Heal Check: [roll0]

graham82
2012-01-03, 01:49 PM
After some effort you manage to slow, but still not completely stop the blood flowing from the severed leg. The orc seems to still be barely alive, but not for long without serious medical attention.

Caylus
2012-01-05, 12:49 PM
BX101 makes a mental note.
Do you use mrs for males, or females? I tend to forget...

He then is startled by the activated trap. He rushes to the side of the orc.

I'm afraid I'm a bit out of healing algorithms...

Chained Birds
2012-01-05, 01:14 PM
Spindle

"Then no Squidly choice..."

Placing his hands over the wound, he channels tendrils of (Squid) healing energy into the bleeding Orc.

Casting Cure Light Wounds on Orc
- [roll0]

graham82
2012-01-05, 02:19 PM
As you channel the healing power, the blood flow complete stops and the wound heals over. The leg is still missing however, but the orc will live without it at least.

Chained Birds
2012-01-05, 03:14 PM
Spindle

"Well, let's see what this trap was trying to protect."

Caylus
2012-01-09, 06:09 PM
I feel bad for letting you shoulder all this burden. I'll follow the lead of Exemplar the Wise, and lead so as I followed.
Prowling through corridors didn't do wonders for BX101's capacity to communicate. He makes even less sense than normal. He walks through the door, being very careful.

+4 AC as a standard action, then my move action to move through the door.

graham82
2012-01-10, 11:50 AM
Pulling open the door fully and walking through, you see a tiny room on the other side - no more than 10' square. Right in the center of the room, in the ceiling there is a round hole about 5' across through which you can see a faint glimmer of light. Underneath the hole is a mount of ash, broken bones, stones, dirt and filth as if it has all just been dumped down the shaft and forgotten about. On closer inspection you notice that there are footprints all over the heap, but you are unsure what of. The entire chamber has a stench of death about it though.

Strangely, against one wall there is a set of shelves and a chest of drawers, and leaning against another wall there is an old oil painting of an elderly man in a red robe.

Chained Birds
2012-01-10, 12:08 PM
Spindle

"What a strange place. I wonder why this place was protected by such a vicious trap?"

Lemonus
2012-01-16, 08:21 PM
"Maybe there's something in that chest. Milo, why don't you check it for traps?"