PDA

View Full Version : Botanical Creature [3.5 Template] (P.E.A.C.H.)

Skeppio
2011-11-24, 08:25 AM
Botanical Creature

Botanical creatures are beings that have become one with the natural world, to the point that they have become vibrant plant creatures themselves. Botanical creatures have rubbery smooth skin in a variety of greenish hues. Their hair or fur is replaced with petals and grasses, and scales are replaced by equally strong leaves. Flowers grow in various places on the creatures body and small roots grow along the creatures limbs. Botanical creature treat nature with reverence and admire the beauty of the natural world, more so than nearly any other creature can claim.

Sample Botanical Creature

Botanical Guardian Naga

Large Plant
Hit Dice: 11d8+44 (93 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +12 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+18
Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+8 plus poison) or slam +13 melee (1d8+8) or spit +10 ranged touch (poison)
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+8 plus poison) or slam +13 melee (1d8+8) or spit +10 ranged touch (poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, spit, pollen cloud, spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., plant traits, immunity to poison, acid and polymorph, unaging body.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +12
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 18, Wis 21, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +18, Concentration +19, Listen +18, Diplomacy +8, Disguise +4 (+6 acting), Hide +5*, Intimidate +6, Sense Motive +19, Spellcraft +18, Spot +18
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Temperate forests and plains
Organization: Solitary or nest (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful good
Advancement: 12-16 HD (Large); 17-33 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —
* This bonus increases to +9 in forested areas.

This beautiful creature looks like a snake with a human face and leaf-like scales in an array of natural greens. The creature looks noticeably plant-like, with grasses and petals in place of hair, small blossoms sticking out from its scales all over its body and tiny petals crowning each eye. A golden frill runs from the top of its head to the tip of its tail. The mixed fragrance of many types of flower accompanies the creature.

Wise and good, botanical guardian nagas often protect sacred places or maintain a lookout against evil deeds. They nuture the beauty of natural woodlands dutifully and often lend their assistance to nearby druid circles. A botanical guardian naga tends to raise its crest when it becomes angry.
Botanical guardian nagas speak Celestial and Common.

Combat

Botanical guardian nagas usually warn off intruders before attacking. If the warning is ignored, they may begin a spell assault or spit poison.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Poison, Plant Growth. 1/day - Obscuring Mist, Entangle, Command Plants, Sunbeam. Caster level 11th. Save DCs are Charisma-based.

Pollen Cloud (Su): A botanical guardian naga can create a pollen cloud as an 11th level botanist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223702), though only once per day.
Typical Pollens Known (save DC 19): White Jasmine, Vigor Blossom, Terinav Root.

Poison (Ex): Injury or contact, Fortitude DC 19, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spit (Ex): A botanical guardian naga can spit its venom up to 30 feet as a standard action. This is a ranged touch attack with no range increment. Opponents hit by this attack must make successful saves (see above) to avoid the effect.

Unaging Body (Su): A botanical guardian naga no longer ages and cannot be magically aged. Any bonuses and penalties for aging that it has already taken, however, remain in place. A botanical guardian naga can no longer die from natural causes. It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. It can still be slain in physical or magical combat, and it is still subject to death from massive damage.

Spells: Botanical guardian nagas cast spells as 9th-level sorcerers, and can also cast spells from the cleric list and from the Good and Law domains. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a botanical guardian naga, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.
Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/7/5; save DC 14 + spell level)
0— cure minor wounds, daze, detect magic, light, mage hand, open/close, ray of frost, read magic; 1st—cure light wounds, divine favor, expeditious retreat, mage armor, magic missile; 2nd—detect thoughts, lesser restoration, see invisibility, scorching ray; 3rd—cure serious wounds, dispel magic, lightning bolt; 4th—divine power, greater invisibility.

Creating a Botanical Creature

“Botanical" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A botanical creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type to plant. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +5 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Attack: A botanical creature retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a slam attack if it didn’t already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the botanical creature retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A botanical creature fighting without weapons uses either its slam attack or its primary natural weapon (if it has any). A botanical creature armed with a weapon uses its slam or a weapon, as it desires.

Full Attack: A botanical creature fighting without weapons uses either its slam attack (see above) or its natural weapons (if it has any). If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a slam or other natural weapon as a natural secondary attack.

Damage: Botanical creatures have slam attacks. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the appropriate damage value from the table below according to the botanical creature’s size. Creatures that have other kinds of natural weapons retain their old damage values or use the appropriate value from the table below, whichever is better.

{table=head]Size|Damage
Fine|1
Diminutive|1d2
Tiny|1d3
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|2d8
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Special Attacks: A botanical creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special
attack.

Pollen Cloud (Su): A botanical creature can create pollen clouds as a botanist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223702) of a level equal to the base creatures Hit Dice, though only once per day. The base creature learns the appropriate number of pollens, drawn from the botanist pollen list. The DC of each cloud (where applicable) is 10 + 1/2 the base creature's HD + base creature's Con modifier.

Spell-Like Abilities: A botanical creature with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

{table=head]HD|Abilities
1-2|Obscuring Mist
3-4|Entangle
5-6|Command Plants
7-8|Poison 3/day
9-10|Plant Growth 3/day
11-12|Sunbeam
13-14|Wall of Thorns
15-16|Unyielding Roots*
17-18|Shambler
19-20|Storm of Vengeance[/table]
*Spell Compendium

Special Qualities: A botanical creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

-Darkvision out to 60 feet.
-Immunity to poison, acid and polymorph attacks (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves).

Unaging Body (Su): The base creature no longer ages and cannot be magically aged. Any bonuses and penalties for aging that the base creature has already taken, however, remain in place. The base creature can no longer die from natural causes. It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. It can still be slain in physical or magical combat, and it is still subject to death from massive damage.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +2.

Skills: Botanical creatures have a +4 racial bonus on Hide*, Listen and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
* This bonus increases to +8 in forested areas.

Environment: Any forests, hills, plains or marshes.

Organization: As base creature.

Challenge Rating: As base creature +2

Treasure: As base creature.

Alignment: As base creature.

Level Adjustment: +4.

Debihuman
2011-11-24, 11:42 AM
Very nice. Under what circumstances should the spell-like abilities be more than once a day? I'm guessing it's just DM's choice but perhaps it should be tied to HD.

Debby

Skeppio
2011-11-24, 09:45 PM
Very nice. Under what circumstances should the spell-like abilities be more than once a day? I'm guessing it's just DM's choice but perhaps it should be tied to HD.

Debby

Thanks!

The spell-likes, I just kinda chose the 3/day or 1/day on a whim really, after viewing most templates with spell-like abilites by HD (such as the Half-Fiend). :smalltongue: I think I'll change plant growth to 3/day.
Also, noticed an error. As an 11th level botanist, the sample creature should have three pollens known, not two. :smallredface: I'll just fix that.

Veklim
2011-11-24, 09:59 PM
Nice. One of the few templates I've seen in a while which seems well balanced from the inception, not easy (I've not managed it myself so far!).

Only thing which disappoints me is the template's lack of a 'take root' type ability, but I guess that's not essential! :smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-11-24, 10:03 PM
Nice. One of the few templates I've seen in a while which seems well balanced from the inception, not easy (I've not managed it myself so far!).

Aw, thanks. :smallredface:

Only thing which disappoints me is the template's lack of a 'take root' type ability, but I guess that's not essential! :smallbiggrin:

I was toying with a similar ability with the botanist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12270404)class I designed actually. It ended up becoming the Ingrain 1st level ability. Maybe I should've given the template unyielding roots as one of its spell-like abilities. :smalltongue:

Veklim
2011-11-24, 10:24 PM
It ended up becoming the Ingrain 1st level ability. Just read your Botanist, Ingrain is nice and pretty much what I had in mind with taking root. Now I've read the class though, it makes more sense as to why the template is this way. Did you build it for the capstone or did it come first? (Just being nosey, don't need to answer that!)

Maybe I should've given the template unyielding roots as one of its spell-like abilities. :smalltongue:Probably not necessary, but always an option! The template works without it and is really rather funky, it's just not entirely what I was expecting. :smallwink:

Skeppio
2011-11-24, 10:36 PM
Just read your Botanist, Ingrain is nice and pretty much what I had in mind with taking root. Now I've read the class though, it makes more sense as to why the template is this way. Did you build it for the capstone or did it come first? (Just being nosey, don't need to answer that!)

The template was built after much of the Botanist was already completed. It was always built with the intention of being the Botanists capstone. :smallwink:

Probably not necessary, but always an option! The template works without it and is really rather funky, it's just not entirely what I was expecting. :smallwink:

I like the idea, so I took whirlwind out of the spell-like abilities list in favour of unyielding roots. Thank you for your help. :smallsmile: