PDA

View Full Version : Fun magic items

Adindra
2011-11-24, 09:07 AM
I'm currently playing in a campaign on thursdays (a wizard/arch mystic theurge) and i'm trying to find fun or quirky magic items (my dm is new and i dont want to overboard with the really powerful ones).

So the question i have is,
Are there any fun or just strange magic items to fool around with as a half orc wiz/arch? Any book is allowed and i was thinking about grabbing stuff like bottles of endless sand and random things that i can just play around with. :smallsmile:

GodGoblin
2011-11-24, 11:23 AM
I personally love the Rod of Wonder, I once used it as my primary means of attack...

starwoof
2011-11-24, 11:32 AM
I've always had a special place in my equipment section for the Robe of Arachnida. It lets you climb on walls and shoot webs, as well as having the rather neat quality of being immune to webs. Totally slick. :smallcool:

EDIT: The artwork is also totally wicked.

jackattack
2011-11-24, 11:35 AM
"Official approved magic items", or anything?

Adindra
2011-11-24, 12:13 PM
it can be essentially anything that doesnt break a game world, i can come up with my own and present it to my dm shes cool like that :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2011-11-24, 12:36 PM
Ring of Invisibility.:smallwink:

Silverscale
2011-11-24, 12:58 PM
I've always wanted to try out Dust of Dryness but haven't had the chance yet.

Also if you have access to the 4 volume encyclopedia of magic items from D&D 2.0 there are a lot of fun items in there you might get a kick out of. Of the top of my head I recall a pair of "magic" items; by their description one is a pair of roller skates and the other is a can of soda.

I think the name on the covers is something like Encyclopedia Magica but since I don't have them with me right now I can't be sure, anyway I know that the covers are 4 different colors, one each of Red, Blue, Green, and Brown, if you're interested in trying to find them in a second hand book story, they're about the size of Hotel Bibles.

jackattack
2011-11-24, 05:41 PM
Messenger Arrows or Messenger Bolts -- can carry a short written message any distance (up to DM's discretion) directly to a person whose name is written on the outside of the rolled up message. Must be fired from an appropriate weapon to work. The missile always embeds itself in a piece of wood or stone very near the addressee (or in a useless unnamed NPC, that's up to the GM). In combat, they behave like ordinary missiles with no bonuses or penalties.

axraelshelm
2011-11-24, 07:29 PM
sunglasses of unarm strike d6 fists plus wisdom bonus to ac.

Chookster
2011-11-24, 08:11 PM
One of my players has a homebrew amulet that allows him to see and discern magical energy, however its filled with wisps who feed off his magical energy and occasionally out of boredom trick him and show him illusions of strange and random things that aren;t actually there

NikitaDarkstar
2011-11-24, 11:32 PM
Items of random cantrips and 1st level spells can be fun AND useful without breaking stuff. (I mean really, how often do you even pay attention to your 0 and 1st level spells anyway?)

And well, just take a poke through the magic item compendium, there's quite a few fun things in there of various power levels.

Elvenoutrider
2011-11-24, 11:41 PM
There is a magic item in the dmg, the name escapes me but it is a musical instrument that when played can do the work of 300 men over the course of a week within 30 minutes.

A caveat is it allows the pcs to completely unmake most dungeons

Velaryon
2011-11-25, 12:09 AM
There is a magic item in the dmg, the name escapes me but it is a musical instrument that when played can do the work of 300 men over the course of a week within 30 minutes.

A caveat is it allows the pcs to completely unmake most dungeons

That sounds like the Lyre of Building. It's definitely a situational item, but when it's useful it's REALLY useful.

The DM for the first game I ever joined had a neat homebrew weapon that I think he cribbed from someone he used to game with, called the Bow of Bad Luck. Any arrow fired would disappear immediately as it left the bow, and if the attack roll was successful then the damage would be represented by a random unlucky happenstance, such as the target suddenly tripping and twisting their ankle, or a branch breaking off a tree overhead and landing on them, etc. The only clue that something odd was going on was that the victim of the attack would briefly smell the scent of roses after they were struck.

It's incredibly dangerous in the right hands, because it makes a sniper much more dangerous and hard to locate, but it's definitely an amusing item.

The Reverend
2011-11-25, 01:12 AM
The Shovel of Arthkaaz. From an uncompleted warhammer fantasy RPG

Made it up as the last great weapon made Arthkaaz the Mad great dwarf runesmith it was a set of seven items. By the time was finished with the first six he was running out of time and so was forced to enchant an adamantine shovel. It had a variety of abilities that were pretty useful. Made you immune to suffocation and gaseous poisons. when driven into rock, mud, earth or some similar substance it will pull out a 3x3x3 meter cube this weighs 15lbs and may be thrown, moved, and otherwise treated by the wielder as a normal shovel load. The effect will work if say it is a stone golem, earth elemental, or creature made of an applicable substance. Once off the shovel it will no longer be held together by the magic and resume its normal properties: sand and mud will fall into a pile while a cube of granite will stay a cube of granite. Shovel grants dark vision 60 feet and 45 feet blindsense, they stack with other visions and senses and true direction and depth. User can speak to creatures of the earth and it gives a very large bonus to geology knowledge, appraise metal, jems, and earth based items, and architecture as it applies tp stonework and subterranean structures user is treated as trained.

Shovel does 3d4+2 damage and will work with axe and hammer feats. +5 Magical weapon

Appearance: adamantine bladed shovel that never gets dirty it is covered front and back in complex runes (successful arcane check will show the carver was in a hurry). Its handle is made of a strange wood whose grain changes color and location overtime, it is always warm in the hand and will cure hand wounds and calices

starwoof
2011-11-25, 01:48 AM
One of my players has a homebrew amulet that allows him to see and discern magical energy, however its filled with wisps who feed off his magical energy and occasionally out of boredom trick him and show him illusions of strange and random things that aren;t actually there

One time I played a character who was a magical amulet that was supposedly holy to Pelor. I could shoot searing rays out of my eyes and create daylight at will.

"Sun, sun, mystical sun, kill my enemies!"

Mnemnosyne
2011-11-25, 02:43 AM
Yeah, the Encyclopedia Magica is full of fun, quirky magical items that provide questionable benefit but can add a lot of flavor to a game. It seems like in 3rd Edition they just stopped printing 'fun' magical items and stuck primarily to serious stuff, cause I really don't see anything like some of that stuff in any of the new books. Here's a few fun gems I really like. Some of these might be able to be used in very powerful ways, theoretically, but for the most part, they're pretty simple, fun effects. Here are a few that I happen to have in some notes I've written down over the years - of these items, I think my favorite would be the Moodarvian Ring of Sound simply because the concept of always having appropriate theme music accompanying my character's every action is too awesome to pass up.

Ring of Harmlessness: This ring makes the wearer appear by illusion to be a small, thin, ragged peasant, very nonthreatening in appearance. He or she is unlikely to be attacked until all others in the group have been.

Prismal's Block and Tackle: Prismal's block and tackle is a tackel block (with a dual pulley system) that can be easily threaded with a rope. The block magically decreases the weight of the object being hoisted by a factor of 1,000. For example, if a 5-ton (10,000 pounds) piece of cargo is hoisted from a cargo ship, a deck hand using Prismal's block and tackle feels as though he or she is only lifting 10 pounds. The rope on the carg-side of the block, however, as well as the crane holding the magical block must be able to sustain the real weight of the cargo. This side effect makes it useless as a tool for adventurers who wish to carry 1,000 times their normal weight allowance.
Prismal created this item as a wedding gift for a friend who worked at the local ship yards. For years, the man complained of muscle cramps and nightly fatigue from his overtly strenuous job. Prismal wanted to make sure his friend kept his blushing bride happy in their new life together.

Prismal's Fish Hooks: These fish hooks come in six different sizes, each designed to capture the attention of a particular size of fish. Prismal's Fish Hooks, when immersed in water, send out a magical fish attraction signal that lures fish of appropriate size to bite and swallow the hook. Anything larger than the specified size (see the table below), automatically saves against the effect. Fish smaller than the size specified are repelled (by fear) from the fish hook.
Just because Prismal's fish hooks attract fish, does not necessarily mean that the hook's owner is able to automatically reel the fish in. The line connecting the fish hook to the pole must be sturdy enough to sustain the pull of the fish as it struggles to escape. Many an adventurer has suffered the loss of these hooks, trying to pull in 6-foot fish with the equivalent of a thread for line.
{TABLE]Size|Fish Size
Minute|4" - 6" long
Tiny|6" - 8" long
Small|8" - 12" long
Medium|1' - 2' long
Large|2' - 4' long
Huge|4' - 8' long[/TABLE]

Prismal's Flint: This magical device causes any small, flammable materials to ignite, regardless of relative dryness. By striking the flint with a piece of steel, a very hot spark flies from the flint, igniting whatever it touches, as long as the item is small and flammable (like parchment, leaves, pine needles, oil, fur, hair, straw, or clothing, for example). Against live flesh, the spark causes 1d4 points of damage. The flint is unable to burn down a large establishment. Instead, an arsonist must first start a fire using small kindling. In real-world terms, anything that can be ignited using a butane lighter can be ignited using Prismal's flint.
At the request of an accomplished explorer named Orion the Outrider, (and the promise to name a peak after him), Prismal created this item in order to make the man and his companions more comfortable when climbing higher and more dangerous mountains. Upon returning from Prismal Peak, Orion reported that the flint saved their lives on more than one occasion. Being 25 days travel from his humble domicile, Prismal has yet to visit "his" summit.

Prismal's Pitons: After having a peak named after him (see Prismal's Flint), Prismal came up with another handy device for his explorer friend, Orion the Outrider - magical pitons. To use Prismal's pitons, simply push them into a solid, nonliving object. No hammering is needed, and there is no need to look for tight cracks, either. Once in place, the pitons never detach until the command word is spoken while touching the piton.
Orion was thrilled when Prismal handed him almost 100 of these devices on his way to Mount Divinia. Prismal showed him how they worked and instructed him that the command word was "come out." After four months, Orion came back to Prismal and thanked him for the devices. Unfortunately, Orion lost one of the members of his team when he asked, "Are you sure these pitons won't come out...?"

Bell of Alarm: This bell may be commanded to watch; it may also be instructed to ignore up to 10 creatures. When it sees any other creature, it starts to ring and continues until commanded to end its watch. The bell can see up to 60 feet but cannot see anything invisible. Its ringing can be heard by all within 60 feet, it wakens all within its effect unless they are magically asleep.

Utensils of the Cultured Palate: These eating utensils are usually of the highest quality workmanship, though they may be made of almost any material. They consist of a cup, knife, fork, and spoon, normally very ornate and usually carried in a special pouch or box.
When used, the utensils make any food or drink - no matter what its quality or age - taste like any food or drink the consumer desires. The food is as nutritious and satisfying as the imagined meal. The quantity of the food is not affected.

Socks of Dryness: The socks of dryness are a pair of foot wraps that repel water like rubber, but allow air to pass.

The description of the Moodarvian Ring of Emotion is so long I decided to spoiler it for size concerns.
Moodarvian Ring of Emotion: Moodarvian rings were pioneered within the last 100 years, quickly becoming popular and widespread. Several masters of illusion have claimed credit for the invention, among them Percus of Gorias, Alstor the Magnificent, and the recluse Dor, but the archivist Thelma reports that one can only be sure of the region in which they first appeared, hence the name.
A Moodarvian ring (or mood ring) consists of a band of woven wool, encased in amber, embossed around a golden ring. It can be any diameter, from finger-sized up to several feet across. A mood ring can be worn or mounted, perhaps around the base of a hanging candelabrum or as part of a circular picture frame. It is not always obvious and is easily disguised.
Construction: Ring affecting one sense: 12,000 gp, nine days. A mood ring must be enchanted with the proper spells. The principal one is a sensory illusion - phantasmal force when it is intended to affect sight, and nearly identical spells to affect smell, taste, sound, and touch. When it is created, a mood ring can be attuned to the nearest person, to a specific person, to one fixed image, or to the combined thoughts of a group of people. The effect is attuned to a specific person when that individual holds the ring during the casting of its final enchantment. To tune the effects to a specific image or emotion, the ring's creator must concentrate on that image or emotion as the ring is completed. In all other cases, the enchanter must take care to concentrate on the task emotionlessly, lest unintended feelings color the ring's subsequent use.
Mood rings have proven useful for a wide variety of applications, from the preparation of gourmet food to warding unwary intruders. When tuned to a specific person, a personal ring of sight can enhance its owner's presence, making plain girls pretty, shy men valiant, and timorous folk courageous. With practice, it can be used to disguise appearance when one wishes to pass unrecognized.
A personal ring of smell acts as a deodorant, radiating the most expensive of sachets or colognes. It can clear the air of clinging odors or foul the nearby atmosphere to the point that no one would want to approach its wearer.
A personal ring of taste most often serves as a shortcut to elegant dining. By imagining the dish desired, the most extravagant banquet can be served, if the chef is sufficiently skilled with the illusions the ring devises. Woe betied, though, if the chef is upset or depressed, for these emotions will work their way into his creations as well. Governor Dmitri is well known for having lost the knighthood he sought, and his head as well, after serving Prince Logan oysters stewed by a chef whose true love had just jilted him for the fishmonger.
A personal ring of sound can be the most entertaining of the set, providing its wearer with his own individual theme music and sound effects. A rousing theme for adventuring, passionate strains for courtship, and martial chords for combat are all within this ring's capacity. Care must be taken that it does not control its wearer in a tense situation, however - a fearful flourish has served to rout more than one panicky wearer, unaware that he or she had provoked the very tremolo that caused the dear in the first place.
A personal ring of touch, although less generally useful than its brothers, can render the coarsest complexion satin-soft and subdue the roughest hemp into velvety smoothness.
A mood ring, when worn, generally attunes to the nearest person, that is, its wearer. Rings that enhance rooms or larger areas are usually tuned to a specific individual, so that the ring's illusion is not constantly shifting.
When mounted in a nondescript room, a ring of sight can transform it into a scholarly study, a rosy boudoir, or an elegant salon. Of course, furnishings must roughly conform to the image presented for any lengthy effect, and a ring of touch might be added to harmonize the impressions of any who come into the room. Skillfully combined, these two rings and a single room can serve as several distinct chambers.
Similarly, a ring of smell can impart a pine-fresh fragrance, a stimulating seabreeze, or other refreshing aromas dependent on the mood and impulse of its owner.
A ring of taste, when one hasn't the skill to evoke savory detail in each dish sufficient to fool a gourmet, can be mounted in the dining room to add an overall flavor to each meal. It can serve to make bland food tasty, but one has heard of infamous dinners in which each course was even more garlic-filled than the last, or so bitter that the guests had to pry open their puckered lips with forks to voice their thanks for the meal and regrets for an early departure. Such disasters are usually due to an undiscriminating palate or taste buds temporarily warped by a head cold or other slight illness.
Perhaps the most ill-used of this class of rings, however, is the ring of sound. Background music is a useful addition to any social situation, and such mood rings are more versatile and prompt than most orchestras. They certainly require less upkeep. This has not escaped the notice of professional musicians, and musical groups from all over have been among the most vociferous in their opposition to mood rings. In scattered cases, musicians have struck back, lurking nearby and producing discordant music calculated to jar the tinniest of ears when combined with a ring's music.
One of the most memorable of such clashes occurred between Squire Frye, a devoted music lover and confirmed ring of sound user, and the renowned Damacron Ensemble. Pride forbade the ensemble from actually producing discordant noise, so when it attempted to disrupt one of the Squires progressive mood ring musicales, Master Damacron chose a rousing patriotic march to clash with the rhapsody wafting out of the Squire's windows. Frye was quick to respond, however, moving swiftly into a sprightly jig in perfect counterpoint to the ensemble's march. Damacron switched to a dirge, and the struggle was on. For hours, all within earshot sat enthralled as point and counterpoint sang through the evening. Four symphonies were born that night, among the most innovative in several centuries, though witnesses say that none do justice to the exhilarating chase that Damacron led Frye on through the enchanted night.
Closely related to the rings just discussed are those tuned to one fixed image or emotion. These rings are particularly useful in cases where the users lack the expertise and emotional control to maintain the positive image they wish to project, or where only one image is necessary. Fixed personal mood rings enhancing sight, smell, and touch are not uncommon, but similar rings of sound have proven maddening for all in range, particularly the wearer. After hearing the same tune repeatedly, without pause, for days in a row, most early users developed severe mental aberrations. The experiments are seldom repeated.
Fixed rings mounted in rooms are similarly useful. The most common place to find such a ring is in a privy, where a ring of smell can overcome the strongest of disagreeable odors with rosewater freshness. Fixed rings of sound or taste are seldom constructed, but rings of sight or touch can perk up even the most drab chambers.
Mood rings tuned to the combined thoughts of a group of people comprise the final class to be described. Such rings are governed by the emotions of everyone within their range, and in normal circumstances produce pleasant but bland accompaniment for those gathered. Rings of sight and touch bathe the setting in agreeably soft beige, rings of sound provide harmonious and inoffensive background music, rings of smell induce slightly sweed but unidentifiable odors, and rings of taste, when used in public restaurants and taverns, mask the food with bland flavors.
However, such use always includes the risk of a strong negative emotion overriding the generally positive flow. When this happens, blackened walls, prickly seats, discordant caterwauling, and the stench of rotting eggs predominate. Wise owners make sure that such rings are easily removable when the circumstances demand it.
These rings are also popular in children's playrooms, although only the wealthy can afford them. Children's imaginations, when reinforced by rings, can take them anywhere, soaring above the clouds, battling to save a kingdom, or adventuring in the depths of the earth. Strong-willed guardians should always be present, lest children literally scare themselves to death.
Perils occur when mood rings come under the control of inexperienced or unaware users. Just as the rings provide positive feedback to positive emotions, anger, distrust, nervousness, and especially fear, are reinforced by the rings in a vicious circle of escalating images. In particular, it was soon found that rings mounted to enhance social gatherings also provide thieves and other intruders with those images they fear most, beginning with flickering shadows in the corners, the hint of a dragon's sulphurous breath, the sting of hidden traps, and the tread of approaching footsteps. The most imaginative fall prey to other worldly guardians and worse, terrors that previously existed only in their darkest nightmares.

Sidmen
2011-11-25, 02:51 AM
I'm personally a fan of the very specific or horrible bane-type weapons (in a non-specific system way).

The Blade of Kin-Slaying, as held by the captain of the guard (double damage against members of your family).

The King-Slaying Butter Knife (either instantly kills royalty or does tons of damage)

The Fated Arrow that WILL Kill [Specific Character] (bonus points if the character is a PC, and you give it to them - the fun of them trying to hide it is immeasurable)

Stuff like that.

Avilan the Grey
2011-11-25, 08:10 AM
I have not played D&D for a long time, so these are just concepts:

The Ring Of The Opposite Of Invisibility: Basically a ring that makes the wearer extremely easy to detect; you can go into the comical by for example ACTUALLY making it flash red light, or sound like a bull horn when worn... Or do it more "discretely if you wish.

The Glass of Indecent Scrying: (no don't take this one seriously :smallwink:). You can look for anyone, but it will only show you the person if said person is doing something embarrassing-to-be-caught-in-the-act-doing.

Mirror of Flattery: A magic mirror. Who always respons favorable to the inquiries of the user. No need to poison apples and try to kill white-skinned young girls when the mirror will ALWAYS tell you you are the fairest in the land.

Axe Of Folding: A battle axe that can be worn in the pocket (weight lessens too). Takes one round to unfold, other enchantments optional (no need to make it overpowered!). Goes great with the ballroom dress for the barbarian princess.

Mail Of Morphing: Chainmail that looks like upper-class clothing until a weapon is drawn, when it morphs back to chainmail. Should probably be for male or female only, not both.

Cauldron of Cooking: A cauldron that doubles the user's cooking skill temporarily (one meal at a time!)

Tankard of Never-ending Mead: Just What It Says On The Tin. Also, it never goes flat. And is rather potent.

Coin Of Redistributing Wealth: A coin which, if put into a coin purse, will at a random time teleport itself and the purse back to the original owner of the coin.

kieza
2011-11-25, 04:44 PM
Axe Of Folding: A battle axe that can be worn in the pocket (weight lessens too). Takes one round to unfold, other enchantments optional (no need to make it overpowered!). Goes great with the ballroom dress for the barbarian princess.

How about the Dwarven Army Knife?
Instead of a corkscrew, it has a keg-tapping attachment. It also has a handaxe, mining pick, wrench, and beard trimmers.

Adindra
2011-11-25, 05:35 PM
i'm lovin all these :smallsmile:

i'm gonna have to make a list and bring it to my dm she likes silly items as well!

Medic!
2011-11-25, 05:47 PM
They're pigments, and they're mystical, and they're great fun!

Eldan
2011-11-25, 05:52 PM
Sovereign Glue has a million uses.

I also had the Mad Doctor's Bag.

It's a Handy Haversack with a curse on it. Every time you try to pull out an item, roll a d8. On a 1, you get a random human or animal bone. On a 2, a random fresh bodypart. On a 3-8, what you actually wanted.

Velaryon
2011-11-25, 06:05 PM
Just remembered another homebrew item I've been told appeared in a friend's campaign: the Bag of Endless Muffins. Works much like a Decanter of Endless Water, but produces muffins instead. I'm told the owner once escaped from a deep pit by filling up with muffins a little bit at a time.

Adindra
2011-11-25, 06:11 PM
Just remembered another homebrew item I've been told appeared in a friend's campaign: the Bag of Endless Muffins. Works much like a Decanter of Endless Water, but produces muffins instead. I'm told the owner once escaped from a deep pit by filling up with muffins a little bit at a time.

that is probobly the best thing ever

NikitaDarkstar
2011-11-25, 06:51 PM

Thread won.

nedz
2011-11-25, 07:24 PM
Here's one I designed earlier

False Beard of Duergar Transition [Face slot]
Usable only by Dwarves

This is a flase beard held on to the face with mithril wires which hook behind the ears. The false beard can only be worn by dwarves and requires that the would be wearer first shaves off their beard. The emotional scarring of this act leaves the wearer even more tacitern than before hence the -2 charisma modification.

Ability Score Changes: -2 Cha

Darkvision (Ex): Darkvision increases to 120 feet.

Immunities: The wearer becomes immune to paralysis, phantasms, and poison. This ability replaces the base dwarf's resistance to poison.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): The wearer gains a +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks and a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

Enlarge Person (Sp): Once per day, as a standard action, the wearer may use enlarge person (caster level equals twice the wearer's character level, minimum 3rd). This ability affects only the character and whatever he carries.

Invisibility (Sp): A wearer may use invisibility (caster level equals twice the wearer's character level, minimum 3rd) once per day, as a standard action. This ability affects only the character and whatever he carries.

Sidmen
2011-11-25, 11:08 PM
In the vein of the muffin satchel, my character once had a collection of enchanted jam jars - each shaped like a particular fruit and (logically) contained jam made from that fruit.

While they were initially intended just to show off how absurd the First Age of Man really was - wasting huge amounts of magical resources on jam jars - they ended up becoming a fascination for my character. Every time we didn't know what to do (sandbox game) I started researching rumors of more jam jars. Half that campaign was spent searching out Jars of Jam - the other treasure gained was incidental and unimportant (we once toppled a king, stole his incredibly enchanted armor, then presented the armor to his son in exchange for another Jar of Jam - If I recall it was Snowberry flavored).

eulmanis12
2011-11-27, 12:31 PM
The Gloving Box
usable once a day. the user places his/her hands in the box and then removes them. He/she will be wearing magic gloves of a randomly determined type. The gloves dissapear after 24 hours.

The sword of unexpectedness
a +5 magic longsword that can only be wielded by someone without the ability to wield a normal longsword

the sword of healing. a +2 sword that casts cure minor wounds on a target every time the target is hit. (buying a matched pair is great for practice fights)

The sword of botany, (a magical equivalent of a hedge trimmer)

Sword of improbability. magic sword with no bonuses. Roll to hit applying bonuses/penalties as normal. Rolls that would normaly count as misses count as hits, rolls that would normaly be hits are misses. A natural one counts as a critical. A natural 20 does not.

Sword of extreem sharpness
a +1 sword that subtracts 9 from the target's AC. unfortunately this sword will automaticly cut through anything that touches its razor sharp edges, no scabbard or sheath can hold it, nor can it be dulled in any way. It will cut through other swords/weapons as if they were not there. Place the sword in your pack and it will slice through everything. set it on a rack and it will cut the rack in half, etc. The result is an immensly powerfull weapon that is very difficult to transport/store.

Cieyrin
2011-11-27, 02:03 PM
Had a Rag of Shining, which when used to buff gems made them actually more valuable, whether that was cut them better, fixed them, made them clearer, whatever.

Took a Fan of the Dispelling Wind from a murderous merchant who wanted to rob my party in the night when we shared a camp. When waived, combined Gust of Wind with Dispel Magic.

Amulet of the Disc, created floating platforms at will that could lift more the higher your magic enhancment to strength was.

Rod of Frost made patches of ice or mini-icebergs in pools of water.

jackattack
2011-11-27, 08:31 PM
A servant's livery enchanted with Unseen Servant and linked to an object. The servant follows the object around, and follows the commands of whoever has the object on their person. Very handy when the object is a medallion or bracelet, potentially maddening when the object is a silver coin that looks like every other silver coin in the world. Very handy for a wizard or a knight, but less so for a rogue.

Cieyrin
2011-11-27, 09:08 PM
A servant's livery enchanted with Unseen Servant and linked to an object. The servant follows the object around, and follows the commands of whoever has the object on their person. Very handy when the object is a medallion or bracelet, potentially maddening when the object is a silver coin that looks like every other silver coin in the world. Very handy for a wizard or a knight, but less so for a rogue.

Oh! The Collar of Service from the Cat April Fools' Day article! Unseen Servant at will to do menial tasks for you. That one's just fun. :smallsmile:

Walyn
2011-11-27, 09:40 PM
Gloves of Balance
Any object you stack on top of another object will not lose it's balance and fall, until acted upon something that is capable of moving the object. If whatever the object was placed on is moved, it will fall until it lands on something else, at which point it will stay balanced on the object it landed on.

ex. Someone with the gloves makes a tower of 10 bowling balls stacked on top of one another. Another person removes the second bowling ball from the bottom of the tower. The bowling balls above the second bowling ball will fall onto the first bowling ball, leaving a tower of 9 bowling balls, as if the second person had removed the top bowling ball instead.

eulmanis12
2011-11-28, 08:54 PM
Gloves of Imbalance

Nothing the Wearer places, anywhere, will remain balanced. It could be a square box on a flat surface and it will still fall over. The wearer must make an athletics check to walk without falling over.

Gloves of boxing. (Not Boxing Gloves)

whenever the wearer punches something, an appropriatly sized box appears and the Item appears inside it. This also works with people. (Great for annoying the BBEG with monks).

Boxing Gloves

The wearer gains a +1 bonus to hit with unarmed strike and -1 damage with unarmed strike.

Gloves of Gloves
The wearer gains a +7 bonus to any craft (gloves) attempt.

Bracers of Dexter.
A short red haired physicist/chemist/engineer appears to tell the wearer to "get out of my laboritory"

Potion of Gibbsness
user gains the feats (marine corps scout sniper and investigative ability), and a +7 bonus to called shots against the back of the head

Nunchucks of Norris
User gains +100 to all stats and skills

The Ep Pick
a +42 pickaxe

the Prose of Con
an text that when read doubles the reader's constitution score

Wand of Speak with Ed
1 use per day, summons talking horse

Amulate of Unnatural Armor
+3 to AC -3 to diplomacy checks with druids

Spear of Shake
a -1 spear, that grants +3 to perform checks and the ability to pass 11th grade english class

Sling of Mud
one use, Strips aristocrat or politician of your choice of their title, DC 27 bluff check will negate

Velaryon
2011-11-28, 10:24 PM
Here's a homebrew item of mine that I posted on the Wizards of the Coast boards a few years ago:

Cheater's Deck
Minor illusion (glamer and figment); CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, silent image, Nystul's magic aura.

This standard 52-card deck of playing cards has been magically enchanted so that upon silent mental command, it can change to appear as whatever card the holder desires, as the spell silent image, with appropriate saving throw if interacted with. An individual card can camouflage itself to match another deck of cards, or the entire deck may be used to play games, although the user may change only the cards in his hand. The person holding the cards must be aware of the deck's properties to issue the mental command (so no idly wishing you had that ace of spades to accidentally trigger it).

In addition, the entire deck is constantly affected by Nystul's magic aura to appear as a nonmagical deck of standard playing cards.

RndmNumGen
2011-11-28, 10:33 PM
Book of Many Faces:
This magical tome allows it's possessor to cast Sending at-will to any person he or she knows. He may also use this tome to gain a +4 Insight bonus on any Knowledge check, but must make a DC 15 Will save to avoid becoming Confused for 1 round. The possessor may use this tome an unlimited number of times per day, but after each use he or she is Slowed(as the spell) for 3 hours due to lost productivity.

Calanon
2011-11-29, 01:52 AM
I've always had a special place in my equipment section for the Robe of Arachnida. It lets you climb on walls and shoot webs, as well as having the rather neat quality of being immune to webs. Totally slick. :smallcool:

EDIT: The artwork is also totally wicked.

This inspired my idea for the Arachnid Man armor :smallcool:

+2 Enchantment bonus to STR
+6 Enchantment bonus to DEX
-4 Penalty to CHA (this doubles if you are in a city with a newspaper owner with a Hitler stache)

Provide you with the ability to use Web as a Spell-like ability, Spider Climb continuously, Immune to Web, Your character automatically gets 2 girlfriends through out his entire life (One with blonde hair, then one with Red Hair that will become the characters wife). When the wearer dies a contingent true resurrection triggers a week after death doubling there enchantment bonus and removing the penalties this also gives the wearer a Claw attack of 2d6 damage.

Arachnid Man, Arachnid Man does whatever an Arachnid can! (oOo thats kinda catchy) :smallsmile:

Heliomance
2011-12-01, 05:28 AM
Sword of extreem sharpness
a +1 sword that subtracts 9 from the target's AC. unfortunately this sword will automaticly cut through anything that touches its razor sharp edges, no scabbard or sheath can hold it, nor can it be dulled in any way. It will cut through other swords/weapons as if they were not there. Place the sword in your pack and it will slice through everything. set it on a rack and it will cut the rack in half, etc. The result is an immensly powerfull weapon that is very difficult to transport/store.

Get yourself a Cloak of Weaponry from the MIC. It's a cloak that acts like a Bag of Holding - any weapon you place under the cloak vanishes to an extradimensional space - except that sharp objects are explicitly safe to store in it.

Alternatively, Gloves of Storing or a Ring of Arming.

eulmanis12
2011-12-01, 04:04 PM
Bag of Hoarding
Looks like a bag of holding, holds stuff like a bag of holding. But the user must make a DC 22 will save in order to take anything out of it.

Thunderstick (Flintlock Musket)
Martial weapon
Ammo, (bullets and gunpowder)
One shot per 2 rounds
D100 damage
Dexterity to hit.
Can be equipped with bayonet as a free action, enables it to be used as a normal spear against enemies within spear range, can still be fired but fires one shot per 3 rounds.

Thunderstorm stick (Assault Rifle)
Exotic weapon
Ammo, (bullets and gunpowder)
10 shots per round
D100 damage
Dexterity to hit.
Can be equipped with bayonet as a free action, enables it to make one extra attack as a normal spear against enemies within spear range

Gentleman's Club
A +10 Greatclub that may only be wielded by male charecters with at least one rank in Aristocrat.

Chain of Sawing
A chain that will cut through anything it is tied to at a rate of 1 ft per second

Tale of Molotov
One use per day. A story that when read causes d4 vials of alchemists fire to appear in the user's pack.

Story of 1001 Arabian Knights
A book. Causes the above to appear when read. They are Lawful neutral and will side with whoever rolls the best on their diplomacy check.

Bob's trap detecting rodent. (a dire rat that has a stick with a hook on the end tied to its head. The hook dangles about a foot in front of its mouth)
Instructions: Place cheese on hook. Place rodent on ground facing in direction of suspected traps. Release. The nearest trap in that direction is removed, the rodent is destroyed.

shirt of Mail.
A shirt made out of greeting cards, bills, advertisements, and magazines, grants no AC bonus, is highly flammable.

Book of Spelling Errors (the word errors is covered by dust and not visible)
If an arcane magician reads any part of this book they must pass a DC 19 concentration check every time they try to cast a spell until the next time they rest.

Boots of Tripping.
Give a -4 penalty to acrobatics checks, a +4 bonus to knockdown attempts.

Ring of Ringing
Causes a sound like church bells (the ones in the steeple) ringing to occur whenever the wearer desires. Is as loud as said bells going off 5 ft away, is audible at the aformentioned volume to everyone within 5 miles. DM can apply checks for people being stunned and/or deafened as deemed necesary.

Allanimal
2011-12-01, 05:56 PM
Bag of Tricks. Who doesn't want to throw a rhinosaurus at their opponents?

GungHo
2011-12-02, 03:21 PM
+1 Hammer, Dwarf Throwing