PDA

View Full Version : Happy turkey day!

Pika...
2011-11-24, 09:35 AM
So, for all those who celebrate it happy Thanksgiving Day.

So, what will you be having for dinner?

Haruki-kun
2011-11-24, 10:08 AM
I don't know, but this is my first time spending Thanksgiving in the US, so yay! Happy Thanksgiving!

THAC0
2011-11-24, 10:13 AM
I go all out.. this is my favorite holiday!

Appetizers: Goat cheese and cranberry relish on crackers, a veggie tray shaped like a turkey, mixed fruit and gourmet cheese board

Main course: Turkey with giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, cajun stuffing, rosemary epi wreath dinner rolls, rosemary olive boule, corn casserole, roasted beans and broccoli with bacon

Dessert: Pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread pudding with creme anglaise

I've been cooking all week.. It's 7am and I'll be in the kitchen nonstop until four!

Turgon9357
2011-11-24, 10:24 AM

Appetizers: Goat cheese and cranberry relish on crackers, a veggie tray shaped like a turkey, mixed fruit and gourmet cheese board

Main course: Turkey with giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, cajun stuffing, rosemary epi wreath dinner rolls, rosemary olive boule, corn casserole, roasted beans and broccoli with bacon

I've been cooking all week.. It's 7am and I'll be in the kitchen nonstop until four!

I'll be eating at your house today.:smalltongue:

H Birchgrove
2011-11-24, 11:14 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, North Americans! :smile:

I planned to wash clothes today, but now I feel inclined to go to the movies, just to celebrate *some* way, since I have no turkey at home.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-24, 11:31 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, North Americans! :smile:

I planned to wash clothes today, but now I feel inclined to go to the movies, just to celebrate *some* way, since I have no turkey at home.
We Canadians celebrated Turkey Genocide in back in October.:smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-24, 11:35 AM
Going to a restaurant with parents today.

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-24, 11:42 AM
Oooooh! I'll be visiting family. They'll be turkey, and sweet potatoes, and corn and stuffing and antipasta and pies and ice cream and nuts and fennel and heavens knows what surprises ! Oh, oh, and the football and the argu... um, debates! I can't wait!

Tirian
2011-11-24, 11:46 AM

Mmmmm. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail, so I'll just show up at 4:30, k?

Srsly, I'm busy baking apple pies at the moment. Just about to experiment with my first lattice crust, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

H Birchgrove
2011-11-24, 11:52 AM
We Canadians celebrated Turkey Genocide in back in October.:smalltongue:

Good for you! :smallcool:

THAC0
2011-11-24, 11:55 AM
Mmmmm. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail, so I'll just show up at 4:30, k?

Srsly, I'm busy baking apple pies at the moment. Just about to experiment with my first lattice crust, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck! I did my first real pie crust this week for the pumpkin pies, super excited that it worked!

Whiffet
2011-11-24, 01:07 PM
I don't know exactly what we'll have for dinner. I know there will be turkey and mashed potatoes and probably mashed sweet potatoes and stuffing and someone will bring a plate of vegetables. Oh, and rolls, there will probably be rolls. I have no idea what my aunt will supply to the dinner, though, and it's at her house; knowing her, there will likely be chips and salsa as an appetizer, some kind of weird spicy taco casserole, and something else that would also be spicy. Bleh, I can't handle spicy food at all.

Dessert will be the best part. We're bringing two pumpkin pies, and there will also be apple pie and pecan pie. Plus my grandma always brings brownies. Oh, and my aunt will have a key lime pie, but I'd much rather have pumpkin and apple.

Tirian
2011-11-24, 04:36 PM
Good luck! I did my first real pie crust this week for the pumpkin pies, super excited that it worked!

Welcome to the yum side! I find that it's not all that much extra effort and SO worth the raves to roll out the crust myself.

My first lattice crust definitely looks like a newbie effort. I'm sure it will be yummy, but not blue ribbon quality yet.

Tragic_Comedian
2011-11-24, 04:37 PM
I'll be sure to wish you a Happy Ham Day this Christmas.

ForzaFiori
2011-11-24, 04:45 PM
I don't know, but this is my first time spending Thanksgiving in the US, so yay! Happy Thanksgiving!

It will quickly become your favorite holiday. :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I just finished having lunch with my family. had broccoli casserole, oyster pie, macaroni casserole, rice and gravy, green beans, turkey, and ham, with pumpkin pie, pecan pie, banana pudding, and brownies for dessert. yummy

Maxios
2011-11-24, 04:46 PM
Happy thanksgiving :smallsmile:

H Birchgrove
2011-11-24, 06:24 PM
I'll be sure to wish you a Happy Ham Day this Christmas.

Great suggestion! :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2011-11-24, 07:32 PM
Woot, turkey day!

...Okay, 's not turkey day for me. For the rest a' ya's.

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-24, 08:56 PM
Today's indulgence included a thick wedge of ham, macaroni and cheese, a strip of well-done steak on rice, pork pot roast with potatoes and carrots, garlic cheddar biscuits, a slice of pecan pie, and a rocky road ice cream cone.

TheThan
2011-11-25, 12:45 AM
Calling Thanksgiving “Turkey Day” is a huge pet peeve of mine. So please call it by its proper name “thanksgiving”. I’m trying not to rage over it.

Anyway went to grandparents house, met new aunt ate turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread rolls, and fruit salad, with a slice of apple pie and cherry cheese cake for desert. We’re having thanksgiving again Saturday at my house, similar dishes, but meh I’m not complaining.

Haruki-kun
2011-11-25, 12:48 AM

Personally, I just finished having lunch with my family. had broccoli casserole, oyster pie, macaroni casserole, rice and gravy, green beans, turkey, and ham, with pumpkin pie, pecan pie, banana pudding, and brownies for dessert. yummy

*is back*

I did not know I could eat so much... BTW, pumpkin pie is delicious.

Asta Kask
2011-11-25, 06:58 AM

Great suggestion! :smallbiggrin:

To me it's not the ham as much as the other things that make Christmas food - sausages, pickled herring, meatballs, Janssons Frestelse, and strange Finnish 'lådor' my aunt brought with her when she moved over.

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-25, 07:49 AM
Oooo. I feel like a reptile....I want to lie down, not move, and digest for a week...

@v :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2011-11-25, 09:11 AM
Oooo. I feel like a reptile...

On top of everything else you've eaten? oO

KenderWizard
2011-11-25, 11:23 AM
When my birthday falls on a Thursday, that Thursday is Thanksgiving. Or, as I call it, Thanksbirthday. This never was a big deal before, because we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Ireland, but since the last time it happened several years ago, I acquired an American partner! So this Thanksbirthday, we went all out, to give me a proper birthday and him a proper Thanksgiving. We had a potluck.

I made:
roast chicken
He made:
macaroni and cheese
pumpkin pie
cornbread muffins
Our friends brought:
mashed potatoes
roast potatoes
pepper salad
friend onions
garlic potato gratin