Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10 (16 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15 ft., Fly 30 ft. (Poor)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
BAB/Grapple: +3/-1
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3)
Full Attack: 3 bites +7 melee (1d3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. (10 feet with bite)
Special Attacks: Gobbler
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Reflex +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +8 (+12 in Forests), Spot +6, Search +1
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Environment: Temperate Hills and Forests
Organization: Usually solitary, rarely mated pair with chicks or eggs
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The elusive three-headed turducken is a creature that few have ever seen in the wild. They are 4-legged birds with the head of a turkey, a duck and a chicken. In some cultures, they are considered a delicacy, and eggs have been known to sell for upwards of 100 gp each. Unfortunately, efforts to raise turducken domestically have been unsuccessful.

Turducken stand a little over 3 feet tall and weigh 60 lbs.

Training a turducken is a difficult endeavor. Teaching a turducken a trick using the Handle Animal skill is at a -5 penalty. This is in addition to the normal penalty of using the skill on a non-animal. See Handle Animal skill.

Tiny fey sometimes hold "annual" turducken races. Riding a turducken is possible although the rider takes a-5 penalty to the Ride skill as these creatures are not suited for riding. The winner's turducken is usually set free, while the one who lost by the greatest margin generally winds up in that evening's feast. Sprites of all varieties love to bet on these races. Anyone caught disrupting this activity is subject to harsh penalties.

Variant turducken: Heavier, more intelligent turduckens have been reported but not confirmed. These turduckens have an Int of 3, cannot speak but can understand Common. They have a +2 to their Search skill rather than the +1 of standard turducken. A 4-HD turducken has a Str of 12 and a 5-HD turducken has a Str of 14. Such turduckens frown upon their inferior avian brethren and have a Neutral Evil alignment. Half of all turduckens will have the Delicious Flaw (See Dragon Magazine issue 330 page 87. A turducken with this flaw gains Ability Focus (Gobbler) as its bonus feat.

Combat

Turduckens attack by using their Gobbler ability and then flee as soon as possible. They only bite if attacked.

All-Around Vision (Ex): The three heads of a turducken allow it to look in any direction providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A turducken cannot be flanked.

Gobbler (Su): Once a day, a turducken can blast its foes with a cone of sonic energy attack at a range of 40 feet. Anyone within range takes 1d6 points of sonic damage. A successful Fortitude save (DC 11) halves the damage. Living creatures that can hear the turducken are Deafened for 1d6 rounds. The save is charisma based.

Skills: The dull colors of the turducken’s feathers grant it a +4 racial modifier to Hide in forests.

Debby

Morph Bark
2011-11-24, 11:28 AM
This makes me gleeful. :smallbiggrin:

I would have honestly expected more something like a turkey spitting out ducks that spit out chickens, but I suppose this... makes more sense? And with its stats, it can turn out pretty nasty for a low-level party if used right. Just plain perfect.

Now give one the Half-Fire Elemental template and serve it up to a bunch of players who are attacked by it before they can attempt to eat it. :smallamused:

Pyromancer999
2011-11-24, 01:10 PM
Now give one the Half-Fire Elemental template and serve it up to a bunch of players who are attacked by it before they can attempt to eat it. :smallamused:

So, a self-roasting Turducken? Excellent.

Also, I totally want to use this monster, even though my group's level is higher. So, I'm just thinking of a Turducken horde. :smallbiggrin:

Yitzi
2011-11-24, 01:21 PM
Wait, if it's essentially of animal intelligence (which it probably should be, if people are going to eat it), then it should have INT score 2, not 3.

It's also a bit weak for a CR 2, I'd call it more a CR 1.

DeAnno
2011-11-24, 02:02 PM
Wait, if it's essentially of animal intelligence (which it probably should be, if people are going to eat it), then it should have INT score 2, not 3.

It's also a bit weak for a CR 2, I'd call it more a CR 1.

Yeah, it's distinctly unthreatening, has meh AC, and 3 1d3 bites only average 6 damage if all of them hit. Maybe at least let it use all of them as an attack action/AoO like a Hydra :smalltongue:

jiriku
2011-11-24, 02:45 PM

Also, I totally want to use this monster, even though my group's level is higher. So, I'm just thinking of a Turducken horde. :smallbiggrin:

A horde is too small. Turducken swarm.

Morph Bark
2011-11-24, 03:00 PM
Wait, if it's essentially of animal intelligence (which it probably should be, if people are going to eat it),

Why? I don't see why that extra point of intelligence matters with regards to edibility. Once dead, anything is mindless anyway. Type-wise, the only non-animal thing about it is the slightly-higher Int (well, and the sonic blast), which won't matter once it's dead.

Toliudar
2011-11-24, 03:18 PM
This is delightful. Any chance of working in a sleep effect whenever someone hits it with a bite attack?

Debihuman
2011-11-24, 04:23 PM
The sonic attack is 1d6 and everyone within 40 feet will take damage (a successful save only halves the damage), so once it bites anyone they take further damage.

I could easily change the Int to 1 if the idea of eating a creature with a 3 Int is bothersome. This changed would only drop the Search skill from +2 to +1.

The fact that it has 3 heads adds +2 to the CR per the multiheaded template.

Debby

Lateral
2011-11-24, 04:28 PM
Why? I don't see why that extra point of intelligence matters with regards to edibility. Once dead, anything is mindless anyway. Type-wise, the only non-animal thing about it is the slightly-higher Int (well, and the sonic blast), which won't matter once it's dead.

...I think the idea was more that a creature with an INT score of 3 is, y'know, sentient.

Re'ozul
2011-11-24, 07:52 PM
I don't see the attack of +7 as its (+2 dex, +1 weapon focus, +3 BAB).
But that may be the sleepiness talking.

Even though the template puts it at CR 2 from what you say, this is really only a CR 1 in my opinion.

EDIT: Love it regardless though. Although my first thought upon reading the thread title was "Poultry enemy that goes through different subsequently smaller forms of varying tastiness".

Eurus
2011-11-24, 07:59 PM
I don't see the attack of +7 as its (+2 dex, +1 weapon focus, +3 BAB).
But that may be the sleepiness talking.

Even though the template puts it at CR 2 from what you say, this is really only a CR 1 in my opinion.

EDIT: Love it regardless though. Although my first thought upon reading the thread title was "Poultry enemy that goes through different subsequently smaller forms of varying tastiness".

+1 size bonus to attack.

Mangles
2011-11-24, 08:08 PM
THIS IS AMAZING.

I ate one of these beasts less than a month ago and it was a tasty treat. So glad it now has stats so I can hunt it.

Yitzi
2011-11-24, 08:52 PM
Why? I don't see why that extra point of intelligence matters with regards to edibility. Once dead, anything is mindless anyway.

So then you'd have nothing against eating a creature that was formerly sentient (such as a person), since once it's dead it doesn't have a mind?

Most people (particularly the non-evil ones) will only eat something that isn't of "person"-level intelligence, even a really stupid person. The dividing line between "really stupid person" and "animal" is between 2 and 3.

Also, there are other indicators of it being important...for instance, should Handle Animal work on it (as it works on non-animals of animal intelligence)? If so, it had better have INT 2 (or 1, but 2 makes more sense.)

Type-wise, the only non-animal thing about it is the slightly-higher Int

That's what defines whether it's of animal intelligence or not.

jiriku
2011-11-25, 12:41 AM
This turducken needs the [Delicious] subtype.

Bhu
2011-11-25, 01:28 AM
Can we request a Turbaconepic? Or a Turbaconepicentipede? :smallcool:

Debihuman
2011-11-25, 03:12 AM

I recommend you use the Mob rules in the DMG 2 starting on page 59. Turducken are too big to apply the Swarm template. A mob of turducken would be CR 8.

If you want a fire-breathing avian, may I suggest my Christmas Goose? See my creations in my signature for the link to that.

Debby

motionmatrix
2011-11-25, 03:13 AM
I couldn't help myself.

Turducken Swarm
Small Magical Beast (Gargantuan Swarm)
Hit Dice: 36d10 (192 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15 ft., Fly 30 ft. (Poor)
Armor Class: 20 (-4 size, +5 Dex, +9 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple: +8/-
Attack: Swarm (5d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (5d6)
Space/Reach: 35 ft./ 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Gobbler
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +12, Reflex +17, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide -4 (+0 in Forests), Spot +6, Search +2
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Valleys
Organization: Unusually large hordes
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The elusive three-headed turducken is a creature that few have ever seen in the wild. They are 4-legged birds with the head of a turkey, a duck and a chicken. In some cultures, they are considered a delicacy, and eggs have been known to sell for upwards of 100 gp each. Unfortunately, efforts to raise turducken domestically have been unsuccessful.

Legends speak of a valley where many turducken live as one, and fight as one as well.

Combat

Turducken swarms attack by using their sonic attack and then overrunning any who threaten them.

All-Around Vision (Ex): The three heads of the turducken allow it to look in any direction providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A turducken cannot be flanked.

Gobbler (Su): Once a day, a turducken swarm can blast its foes with a cone of sonic energy attack at a range of 100 feet. Anyone within range takes 10d6 points of sonic damage. A successful save (DC 24) halves the damage. Living creatures that can hear the turducken are Deafened for 4d6 rounds. The save is charisma based.

Skills: The dull colors of the turducken’s feathers grant it a +4 racial modifier to Hide in forests.

GuyFawkes
2011-11-25, 03:33 AM
Nice, though the image I was had was that the turkey has a duck head popping out when it opens its mouth, and the duck in turn has a chicken head popping out of its mouth. :smallwink:

Now how about a Turbriskafil?

Morph Bark
2011-11-25, 06:15 AM
So then you'd have nothing against eating a creature that was formerly sentient (such as a person), since once it's dead it doesn't have a mind?

Most people (particularly the non-evil ones) will only eat something that isn't of "person"-level intelligence, even a really stupid person. The dividing line between "really stupid person" and "animal" is between 2 and 3.

Also, there are other indicators of it being important...for instance, should Handle Animal work on it (as it works on non-animals of animal intelligence)? If so, it had better have INT 2 (or 1, but 2 makes more sense.)

That's what defines whether it's of animal intelligence or not.

In sufficiently dire situations, I'd eat almost anything to stay alive. In this case though, we're not talking about a person, as humanoids cannot have an Int score of less than 3.

Then again, fantasy like DnD breaks the boundaries of personhood wide open and makes it rather vague, so you do have a point.

Also, doesn't Handle Animal work on Magical Beasts (regardless of Int)?

Debihuman
2011-11-25, 08:01 AM

You can use the Handle Animal skill on a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 that is not an animal, but the DC of any such check increases by 5. Such creatures have the same limit on tricks known as animals do.

I've edited my initial entry to give the turducken Int 1 rather than Int 3 as some people seemed a bit squeamish about eating an Intelligent creature. However, I made the Int 3 turducken a variant creature for those who like it initially.

I couldn't help myself.

The swarm template cannot be applied to Small creatures. Swarms are dense masses of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures. The Mob template is what you should use (see DMG 2). A Mob consists of Small, Medium or Large creatures.

This turducken needs the [Delicious] subtype.

Delicious is a Flaw not a Subtype. The Delicious Flaw can be found in Dragon Magazine issue 330 page 87. [I don't know which is geekier -- that a Delicious Flaw exists or that I found it.]

Debby

Benly
2011-11-25, 09:32 AM
In sufficiently dire situations, I'd eat almost anything to stay alive. In this case though, we're not talking about a person, as humanoids cannot have an Int score of less than 3.

Then again, fantasy like DnD breaks the boundaries of personhood wide open and makes it rather vague, so you do have a point.

The important bit, I would say, is that a creature with Int 3 knows a language. At that point, humanoid or not, it's something really quite creepy to eat.

Debihuman
2011-11-25, 09:46 AM
The important bit, I would say, is that a creature with Int 3 knows a language. At that point, humanoid or not, it's something really quite creepy to eat.

Apparently, dragon meat tastes like chicken... Do you have any idea how often parties kill evil creatures and then have to figure out what to do with the carcass? That's right, they EAT them. Whole adventures have been set upon such things. However, I understand that eating non-evil sentient creatures is bothersome, so I've updated the turducken to make it more (less?) palatable. they now have an Int of 1.

I added more to the variant turduckens to incorporate the Delicious Flaw.

I hope ya'll are having fun with this.

Debby

motionmatrix
2011-11-25, 10:30 AM
The swarm template cannot be applied to Small creatures. Swarms are dense masses of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures. The Mob template is what you should use (see DMG 2). A Mob consists of Small, Medium or Large creatures.

Debby

You are right, it was late and I completely forgot about the mob template (I do recall thinking, how do you make a swarm of people when it says up to tiny?)

Oh well, I will try to go over the mob rules as soon as I get a chance.

Benly
2011-11-25, 10:34 AM
Apparently, dragon meat tastes like chicken... Do you have any idea how often parties kill evil creatures and then have to figure out what to do with the carcass? That's right, they EAT them. Whole adventures have been set upon such things. However, I understand that eating non-evil sentient creatures is bothersome, so I've updated the turducken to make it more (less?) palatable. they now have an Int of 1.

Well, okay, I'll amend that: it's weird to have a language-capable creature the defining feature of which is that it is hunted for food, unless the tension there is to be the purpose of the creature, either for drama or for comedy.

And chowing down on dragons is a fine mythological tradition. :smallsmile:

Yitzi
2011-11-25, 12:39 PM

But they can have an Int score of 3, which is what it had when I posted the point.

Nope. "You can use this skill on a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 that is not an animal, but the DC of any such check increases by 5. Such creatures have the same limit on tricks known as animals do."

To the OP: I noticed you changed the INT to 1, which definitely makes more sense than 3. Even so, 2 would be better: 1 INT is usually used for reptiles and amphibians; birds and mammals get 2 INT.

Pyromancer999
2011-11-25, 10:21 PM
And chowing down on dragons is a fine mythological tradition. :smallsmile:

That's not all they're good for. I have one player who can only play at infrequent intervals, but is good at roleplaying and such, and always find a good reason to leave his character out of adventures for a while. His character is insane(literally), so the last session we played, the party slew a dragon at the end, so he decided to have his character live in the remains. Which led to a discussion on how feasible that would really be, but is overall an interesting thing to do.

Also, yeah, looks like the mob template will have to be used instead of the swarm. Still worth it.

Debihuman
2011-11-26, 09:54 AM
This is delightful. Any chance of working in a sleep effect whenever someone hits it with a bite attack?

That would be worthy of a variation of the turducken, but I think it would be slightly overpowered for a standard turducken.

Can we request a Turbaconepic? Or a Turbaconepicentipede? [

Ahem, Bhu...I'm still waiting for stats on Abner and Bert.

Debby

Cieyrin
2011-11-26, 10:50 AM
Awesome! Much better than the redux of the Turkeyzilla I was working on this week that had a True Dragon type progression of age. I had the age categories worked out but I fumbled when I was trying to convert the feats over actual special abilities and whatnot. Ah well.

Love the variants, especially the Delicious variant. Having a proper flock of Turduckens would be excellent as well, so we can easily model a turducken race going through town. :smallcool:

Bhu
2011-11-26, 06:39 PM
That would be worthy of a variation of the turducken, but I think it would be slightly overpowered for a standard turducken.

Ahem, Bhu...I'm still waiting for stats on Abner and Bert.

Debby

Dat reminds me

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=33.0
This is mah new nest on the new bg forums

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=782.0
dis section will be for Bert and Abner and family :smallbiggrin: