PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Chi Essence class

DKACyclone
2011-11-24, 11:35 AM
The class I am designing has an odd layout but I am not sure how to balance the gaining of abilities (where to put them in the leveling process, the exact math behind the pool of abilities, etc)

the basic layout is as follows:

The Essence (I haven't come up with a name for it yet, GOOD suggestions are welcome) is basically the character's Hit Point total (I call it Chi, different from Ki) so it needs to be recoverable and powerful, basically you are killing yourself for this power...

it naturally gains no W+A P, BAB or R/F/W saves but as an Immediate action the class can transfer points from the pool into a series of totals (which are added to each ability, think of it like Epic Attack Bonus) from Defence Bonus and Attack Bonus to Dexerity Bonus (boosts all Tumble skill checks for that round)

As it levels it gains energy from the lifeforce around it (a example is Goku's Spirit Bomb from Dragonball Z) which, with a concentration check that provokes AoO, gives it one point per round (one point might be too little) of Essence, for a number of rounds equal to the amount it beats the DC by, to apply to a total without sustaining Hp damage

It can transfer essence from the pool to any totals as a free action per round but only an amount equal to (maths based on level and Int/Wis/Cha, i don't know which) can be moved per round, each total can be as much as it can spare without dying

early in it's career (possibley level 1) it can transfer essence from the pool to a spell-like ability which deals 1dX per point of essence (think of Eldritch blast)

I don't know if the ability should be able to be Stilled, but it gains Maximise and Empowere spell-like ability as it levels

If I have missed anything or, more likely, if something doesn't make sense ask and I will try to answer/explain

bobthe6th
2011-11-24, 12:14 PM
might be good to base it off nonlethal damage, then you have a chance of passing out rather than dieing.

DKACyclone
2011-11-25, 05:00 AM
It would be safer but that lessens the drawback of using the effects, if you know you can't die then you can sacrifice all of your non-lethal Hp for one big blast on the main bad guy and get back up afterwards

kalminos
2011-11-25, 05:40 AM
It would be safer but that lessens the drawback of using the effects, if you know you can't die then you can sacrifice all of your non-lethal Hp for one big blast on the main bad guy and get back up afterwards

Get back up in many hours, perhaps a day, or even longer if you blast all your hp into something big. maybe.

DKACyclone
2011-11-25, 11:52 AM
You only need to have someone cast Cure Minor Wounds on you and you are back up, death is harder to repair...