PDA

View Full Version : Council of Wyrms d20 conversion?

Ravens_cry
2011-11-24, 02:21 PM
I am looking for material, official and unofficial, first and third party on playing dragons using the d20 ruleset such as, as the title suggests, a d20 conversion of the Council Of Wyrms setting.
Web material and homebrew accepted.

Demon of Death
2011-11-24, 02:31 PM
Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?idyxu5w44wjk8oj) is something that someone did that converts CoW to d20 3.5, I found it this year on the web, it may be what you're looking for, maybe not.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-24, 02:45 PM
Thanks, that seems excellent! Any other material would be welcome, and I can see things I would change off the bat under thw Not Fun rule, the fort save if you become human for one, but still, awesome, thank you again.

Big Mac
2011-12-26, 08:40 PM
I am looking for material, official and unofficial, first and third party on playing dragons using the d20 ruleset such as, as the title suggests, a d20 conversion of the Council Of Wyrms setting.
Web material and homebrew accepted.

I've been looking for that sort of stuff too, as well as talking to a couple of people about Council of Wyrms on another forum.

I've been pinning my hopes on eventually finding a "Michael Knight* of Council of Wyrms" who has a website or blog that is all about the setting, but so far no luck (although I've found an apparently abandoned Council of Wyrms forum (http://addishellfire.proboards.com/index.cgi) that I've been considering signing up to, just in case some of them are still reading).

* = As in the "One man can make a difference" tagline from the show Knightrider.

I think for me, the biggest (logistical) problem with playing a dragon is that they advance in both hit dice and in Level Adjustment (LA) penalty. That kind of makes them have a double-jump in Effective Character Level (ECL), as they get to certain levels. The SRD gives you a series of stats, but no clear way to progress from one stage to the next stage. Some dragons also have a higher ECL than others, and that makes it hard to play a wide variety of dragon races together.

One of the MWP Dragonlance books did a very interesting thing with a few playable high ECL monster races, where they took the level that a critter would normally start at and broke that down into a few monster levels that could take the race from an ECL = 1 race up to the level that you get in the normal monster entry. As the race grew it would gain HD on some levels, but not others. And it would usually gain its special abilities on the levels when it was not gaining a HD. I was hoping that MWP would do the same thing for the dragons, especially with them doing Dragonlance, but sadly, they only did the more humanoid monster races. However, I do think it might be possible to reverse engineer what MWP have done and deconstruct a dragon. If that could be done, you could set a character level (say 10) and get everyone to roll up a 10th level ECL dragon.

One other problem with dragons is that some of their advancement depends on them being in the next age category. While that might work for NPCs - and while it might work for a game set over generations - I find it hard to imagine how to deal with a dragon PC that wishes to continue to adventure (rather than hybernate for 100 years).

Maybe the Dragonomicon book has some rules that could help with this.

rmg22893
2011-12-26, 09:21 PM
I read the thread title and instantly thought someone was trying to make a Martin Luther roleplaying campaign... *facepalm*

Ravens_cry
2011-12-26, 09:39 PM
I read the thread title and instantly thought someone was trying to make a Martin Luther roleplaying campaign... *facepalm*
Nope, that is for those who like to eat dragons, a Diet of Worms.:smalltongue:

deuxhero
2011-12-26, 09:53 PM
Given every PC is a dragon, just waive up to a fixed amount of LA and possibly hit die from the ECL.

golem1972
2011-12-27, 12:59 AM
Gestalt

Dragon HD and la on one side, class levels on the other.

You might want to pick a single dragon progression and sub out types, breath weapons, sla's, etc.

hushblade
2011-12-27, 05:53 AM
Doesn't gestalting with a dargon's hardy build(d12 HD, all good saves) only encourage using low HD High tier spellcasters?

Darrin
2011-12-27, 06:17 AM
Dragon #320 has 20-level racial class progressions for all the metallic dragons. Dragon #332 has the same for the chromatic dragons. I'm not sure how that would work with the setting, though.

deuxhero
2011-12-27, 07:40 AM
Oh right, forgot about the improved monster classes homebrew, which also works.

Aneurin
2011-12-27, 10:57 AM
Try using CR. I'm trying it in a PbP campaign that's starting shortly. Give the PCs the same starting wealth as the treasure of monster they're playing and, theoretically, it will all be balanced.

I mean, if a 5th level PC class is supposed to be a CR5 challenge, then surely a CR5 monster is the equivalent of a 5th level PC class.

Balancing wealth and experience won't be easy, but not impossible.

When you find me sobbing in the corner, you will know exactly how well it all works out :smalltongue:

umbergod
2011-12-27, 11:09 AM
I always loved CoW before 3.0 and 3.5 came out. was a fun change of pace for me. Will be keeping tabs on this thread