PDA

View Full Version : [Gestalt] PrC Mindbender

3drinks
2011-11-24, 05:53 PM
Hey guys. My friends and I are doing a Gestalt game of 3.5 since we just have myself and the two of us. I decided I wanted to play as a Half-Orc Barbarian/Sorcerer Gestalt going into Mindbender PrC. But I don't like the Sorcerer's limited spell capacity, nor do I like the slow rate of speed that the Bard gains new spells(or even it's composition of spells) though Bardic Music does rock. No pun intended >_>.

Anyway I know the Wizard is def better than Sorcerer, but then doesn't have the skill requirements I need as class skills. What options do I have to have more spell selections than a Sorcerer, while still having the skill requirements as class skills?

edit: I have access to the Complete Series books, PHB II, Unearthed Arcana, and...the rest of the core books.

Amphetryon
2011-11-24, 06:46 PM
Most folks only take Mindbender for a single level dip for the Telepathy; how many levels of it are you hoping to use?

Because a Wizard has INT as the casting stat, it's often possible for a Wizard to qualify for Mindbender "on time" by simply buying the skills at cross-class cost.

The only other options I can think of with "more" spells than Sorcerer are the Sha'ir, from the Dragon Magazine Compendium, and an Archivist from Heroes of Horror. The former has a potentially problematic spell-retrieval system and is often considered obscure, while the latter depends almost entirely on how available scrolls and magical writings are in your DM's world.

3drinks
2011-11-24, 07:18 PM
Most folks only take Mindbender for a single level dip for the Telepathy; how many levels of it are you hoping to use?

Because a Wizard has INT as the casting stat, it's often possible for a Wizard to qualify for Mindbender "on time" by simply buying the skills at cross-class cost.

The only other options I can think of with "more" spells than Sorcerer are the Sha'ir, from the Dragon Magazine Compendium, and an Archivist from Heroes of Horror. The former has a potentially problematic spell-retrieval system and is often considered obscure, while the latter depends almost entirely on how available scrolls and magical writings are in your DM's world.

Well, I was planning on going all the way, I'm attempting to not "fully optimize" the character because I don't want to alienate the rest of the group. That said, the Sorcerer having fewer available spells, coupled with the Mindbender only gaining spellcaster levels every odd level makes me :( .

While Wizard does work better, I have considered it, but I'm kinda set on using Barbarian as the other half of Gestalt, so Barbarian-Wizard = Yeah good luck explaining that one lol. :)

Lateral
2011-11-24, 07:22 PM
While Wizard does work better, I have considered it, but I'm kinda set on using Barbarian as the other half of Gestalt, so Barbarian-Wizard = Yeah good luck explaining that one lol. :)

Boom. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049)

Amphetryon
2011-11-24, 07:22 PM
Well, I was planning on going all the way, I'm attempting to not "fully optimize" the character because I don't want to alienate the rest of the group. That said, the Sorcerer having fewer available spells, coupled with the Mindbender only gaining spellcaster levels every odd level makes me :( .

Reflavor "Wizard" into "Tribal Elder/Sage" and leave the crunch alone. Pick a suitably "barbarian tribe-themed" familiar, if it suits the image more. Barbarians are not disallowed from intellect, or even from Literacy, given exposure beyond their native tribe. Most adventurers will travel well beyond their native lands in the course of their careers, after all.

twas_Brillig
2011-11-24, 07:28 PM
Barbarian-Wizard

Like all things growing from madness, magic comes easily in the North. While those from more welcoming shores see a contradiction in the mad passion of northern berserker-mages, to their countrymen it is nothing odd. To understand wizardry, to understand magic requires a devout passion so far beyond mortal ken that it defies examination. Then, too, the results of those arcane studies are often spoken of in hushed tones. Power born of madness leads to madness, it has been said.

You are a cunning savage. What's more, you are an educated one. Your life has been hard since the day you were born, but ancient books and more ancient tutors you have found, together with the strength and arms of your forebearers, have lead you to overcome all challenges. Now you seek what all madmen seek: adventure.

Alternatively: Cuchulainn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BAchulainn) says hi.

Randomguy
2011-11-24, 07:57 PM
I think a one level dip in mindbender would be best: The class features just aren't worth the loss in spells. An enchanter or a beguiler would actually be able to dominate and charm their enemies more effectively and more often than a mindbender.

One way to work around this: if your DM lets you take 2 prestige classes at once, take rage mage and enter it at the same time as you enter mindbender. You get full caster progression that way, and can also cast spells during rage sometimes. The downside is your hp and BAB are both worse.

Mnemnosyne
2011-11-24, 07:58 PM
It sounds like you're planning to take more than one level of Mindbender. Don't do that. It's a retarded class if you take more than one level of it. Its only real purpose is to dip exactly one level to get Telepathy.

If what you want are minions, go psionic and take Thrallherd instead. Not only do you get a minion right off the bat, but you only lose 2 manifester levels and your minions are likely to be better.

Elric VIII
2011-11-24, 09:07 PM
Reflavor "Wizard" into "Tribal Elder/Sage" and leave the crunch alone. Pick a suitably "barbarian tribe-themed" familiar, if it suits the image more. Barbarians are not disallowed from intellect, or even from Literacy, given exposure beyond their native tribe. Most adventurers will travel well beyond their native lands in the course of their careers, after all.

+1 to this. For added flavor, use the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF (Dragon Magazine, I think). You trade away your familiar and Scribe Scroll, lose your spellbook, and use incense to learn spells (same cost as adding to spellbook). The lack of spellbook and addition of mysticism really goes nicely with the Barbarian thing.

3drinks
2011-11-24, 09:33 PM
Like all things growing from madness, magic comes easily in the North. While those from more welcoming shores see a contradiction in the mad passion of northern berserker-mages, to their countrymen it is nothing odd. To understand wizardry, to understand magic requires a devout passion so far beyond mortal ken that it defies examination. Then, too, the results of those arcane studies are often spoken of in hushed tones. Power born of madness leads to madness, it has been said.

You are a cunning savage. What's more, you are an educated one. Your life has been hard since the day you were born, but ancient books and more ancient tutors you have found, together with the strength and arms of your forebearers, have lead you to overcome all challenges. Now you seek what all madmen seek: adventure.

Alternatively: Cuchulainn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BAchulainn) says hi.

Wow this is an amazing idea thanks for the tips!

3drinks
2011-11-25, 01:55 PM
Well, I finished my character, decided to go Barbarian/Wizard, going into Rage Mage since they apparently get a -10% ACF(I got a suit of non-magical Mithral Chain Shirt for 1,100 Gold). So I'm Brb4/Wiz4/RageMage2 So I'm still casting as a 5th level Wizard, but with Craft Wand I can keep a steady supply of offensive spells to never run out when needed, Combat Casting to cast in combat, and my Masterwork Greataxe to serve my rage purposes well. My spellbook, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty awesome. Also, Boots of Striding and Springing is insane with the Barbarian's fast movement ability lol >_> .

All 0 Level Spells

Level 1 Spells
Shield
Charm Person
Ray of Enfeeblement
Disguise Self
Magic Missile
True Strike
Shocking Grasp
Enlarge Person

Level 2 Spells
Melf's Acid Arrow
Mirror Image
See Invisibility
Scorching Ray

Level 3 Spells
Haste
Fly

Sad face I wanted Fireball and/or Lightning Bolt too but I think Haste and Fly is obv superior. I can always pick one of those up next level I guess. :)

Wand of Summon Monster I(4th level caster)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds(4th level caster)

Mnemnosyne
2011-11-25, 02:09 PM
You're a wizard: just buy the spells you want to add to your book, you don't have to wait until next level. Not that I would actually recommend Fireball or Lightning Bolt, but the point stands.

Psyren
2011-11-25, 02:32 PM
Boom. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049)

...you know he's not really a wizard, right? That being the joke and all. :-|

3drinks
2011-11-25, 03:58 PM
You're a wizard: just buy the spells you want to add to your book, you don't have to wait until next level. Not that I would actually recommend Fireball or Lightning Bolt, but the point stands.

That's true, Wizards do get the option to buy a scroll of fireball/lightning bolt, and I can always add to my book that way. lol

Never thought about that.