PDA

View Full Version : Character Optimization: Tainted Trinity Theurge

patha787
2011-11-24, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone, it's been a while - hope you're all well.

Got another campaign coming up (this time offline) - same DM from past games, similar details:

- Gestalt (prestige classing on both sides allowed; dual caster progressions must be negotiated with/approved by DM on a case by case basis)
- Characters start at 20th level; no multi-classing penalties
- Two flaws allowed
- Two traits (Pathfinder style)
- All official sources allowed including Dragon magazine and WotC online sources (including setting specific); third party by approval only
- This campaign is going to be a bit of a highly-optimized lark; may be able to get away with some startling cheese
- Character will be human male, non-good alignment

I've loved playing the Spell to Power Erudite in the past and plan on keeping this as part of the build. I also really like Tainted Scholar/Subverted Psion and the synergy the two get (taint immunity from Subverted Psion, taint-based casting from Scholar); never played one before but I love the concept and like the idea of playing a Lovecraft-influenced deranged spellcaster.

For the rest of the build, rather than go my usual Factotum/Chameleon type route, I thought I'd try something different. The concept is a trinity theurge - as close to full arcane and divine casting and manifesting as possible, playing the ultimate Batman role. As for any caster, free/reduced metamagic will be the order of the day in general. Actions to make use of all these goodies will come from Psionic action abuse.

I recently came across this:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/magister

It's not brilliant on its own - it reminds me a bit of the Archivist (if you take it as read that the Archivist can find a way to learn arcane spells as divine) in that it can learn almost any spell but it only has a few spells known, and thus would be worse. However, I was thinking that if I also went Rainbow Servant 10 I'd gain spontaneous access to everything on the cleric list (from any source, since they're all available in this campaign). I could then pick all of my Magister known spells from the Sor/Wiz lists to give a good balance. It also has a few other goodies, such as free metamagic abilities. Wisdom/Charisma MAD is annoying but this might not be so bad if I can incorporate Tainted Scholar and Subverted Psion into the build and take the focus off Int, using taint for my spellcasting. That would also give me ridiculous bonus spells per day, etc. Magister also offers supreme versatility in that it qualifies for both arcane and divine PrCs/feats etc. Pick up Rapid Metamagic for reduced metamagic casting time.

I also quite like this, which has also been approved by the DM:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm

Lots to like here I think, including more free metamagic/metapsionics stuff, and Twin Wells or Twin Wells Same Source gives insane CL/ML. Not 100% vital to the build though, just saw it and liked it.

MINIMUM STUFF I WANT TO INCORPORATE:
Magister or similar casting up to 9th level spells plus Spell to Power Erudite (for the 9th level manifesting; also essentially grants 8th level arcane casting as powers, etc.) for an end result of as near to 9th/9th/9th casting as possible; the more versatile the better
Tainted Scholar 1 (for taint based casting and flavor)
Subverted Psion 1 (for immunity to taint, bonus PP in taint and again, flavor)
Rainbow Servant 10 or some other PrC/method which grants access to an entire spell list spontaneously for versatility if possible

Everything else is up for grabs, really, but will involve fleshing out the rest of the caster/manifester levels.

SOME IDEAS:
Mind Mage
Incantatrix
Dweomerkeeper
Shadowcraft Mage (DM allows non Gnome adaptation)
Gain wildshape somehow and incorporate Planar Shepherd?

Could you all please help me flesh out this build? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everybody.

EDIT
As a starting point for debate/analysis, how about:
Magister 7/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1 (for Divine MM and nightstick stuff)/Tainted Scholar 1/Subverted Psion 1//Spell to Power Erudite 10/Mind Mage 10 (with Mind Mage only advancing ML)?

dextercorvia
2011-11-24, 09:58 PM
Note: Rainbow servant doesn't grant spontaneous casting on its own. Magister has a spells known progression, and combined with RS would still have to choose spells known as normal just from the expanded list.

A standard Wizard/Ur-Theurge on one side would give you arcane/divine 9s with room for Tainted Scholar to spare, then you could StP Erudite/Subverted Psion on the other side. For spontaneity, Uncanny Forethought+Versatile Spellcaster will do the trick.

Edit: We can go spontaneous and nearly Cha SAD if you go Wilder/SubvertedPsion//FavoredSoul/TaintedScholar/SublimeChord/MysticTheurge

You'll need to PAO or True Mind Switch into a Lilend before ECL11, and take the Initiate of Milill feat (Favored Soul doesn't actually have an alignment requirement, just a suggestion).

DonutBoy12321
2011-11-25, 12:04 AM
If you have the Dragon Compendium, go full Sha'ir casting on one side. The Sha'ir can learn any Arcane or Divine spell, so it gives full Arcane and Divibe casting.