PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and their toys!

Darkstrider
2006-04-04, 12:30 PM
every cool hero has cool tools like Batman, James Bond, van helsing and so on.
i have a PC that wants to make tools of his own (that still work in anti-magic zones) i was hopeing someone knows a way to set up a base price and craft DC for that stuff?

-Johnny A.

EDIT: and what is all this world of warcraft RPG tool making everyone is telling me to use? how does it work?

WampaX
2006-04-04, 12:50 PM
I'd suggest begin by looking at alchemical devces and going from there.

Democratus
2006-04-04, 12:54 PM
Van Helsing was cool? Did I miss a memo or something? Wasn't that a movie about wolverine with a crossbow? ;)

Orion-the-G
2006-04-04, 01:01 PM
I don't believe it was 3.0 but in magic of faerun there was the 'gnomish artificer' who was able to create alchemical and mechanical 'spells'. The problem was although it's a neat flavor (I lob a box of pressurized alchemists fire into their midst! instead of a fireball) but mechanically it wasn't very deep. basically spells that were not supernatural.

Yossarian
2006-04-04, 02:48 PM
I thought Dracula vs. Wolverine was pretty funny. It had that one chase scene where a 19th-century Victorian stagecoach went flying off a cliff... and exploded in a huge fireball, in accordance with the laws of action-movie chase sequence physics.

bosssmiley
2006-04-05, 04:01 AM
True dat. The ball scene at the chateau did not belong in that movie...right up until the fight broke out.

Frankenstein's Monster was a giant battery. Who kew? :P

Oh, you want gizmoes? "Arms and Equipment Guide", Dragon #316 (spies and their toys) and the equipment chapters of "Races of the Wild/Stone".

But remember: a hero is still a hero without toys and geegaws.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-04-05, 06:31 AM
Song & Silence has many fun rogue tools
Complete Adventure
Arms & Armor
PhB 3.5

I'd also invest in some magical devices like HHH, immobile rod, healing potions, etc...

As far as making your own? Beware McGuyver Syndrome! Be *VERY* careful when a PC wants to make something. Odds are... it'll break some part of your game.

Darkstrider
2006-04-05, 09:44 AM
thanks, keep posting :P

-Johnny A.

Donsic
2006-04-05, 09:58 AM
What kind of gissmoes are we talking? If you give us some examples I'm pretty sure we could give you a workable cost and stats. Most stuff you might be able to combine with existing stuff to make cool things (I.E. buff up a spring loaded guantlet and make it shoot one soilid metal bolt attached to rope, and then you have a grappling hook launcher)

Truwar
2006-04-05, 11:25 AM
Van Helsing was cool? Did I miss a memo or something? Wasn't that a movie about wolverine with a crossbow?

LOL, saying it like that almost makes me like the movie! ;)

Xanosect
2006-04-05, 02:41 PM
I'm amazed nobody mentioned it yet, but Van Helsing was a anime series long before the movie. Honestly I've never seen the Anime, but I think it had a much stronger following than the movie earned.

Thomas
2006-04-05, 02:46 PM
I'm amazed nobody mentioned it yet, but Van Helsing was a anime series long before the movie. Honestly I've never seen the Anime, but I think it had a much stronger following than the movie earned.

I imagine you're thinking of Hellsing (originally a manga, of course; animes come later), which features a vampire named Alucard as the protagonist. I certainly haven't heard of and can't find a Van Helsing anime. There were a few spin-off animations from the Van Helsing movie, but they're not actual anime, and definitely came afterwards.

Darkstrider
2006-04-06, 12:03 PM
What kind of gissmoes are we talking? If you give us some examples I'm pretty sure we could give you a workable cost and stats. Most stuff you might be able to combine with existing stuff to make cool things (I.E. buff up a spring loaded guantlet and make it shoot one soilid metal bolt attached to rope, and then you have a grappling hook launcher)

stuff a hero would need, like the hook shots (the one link uses) a spring loaded stake launching guantlet, a device that work like the quick draw feat.

EDIT: post more later

-Johnny A.

storybookknight
2006-04-06, 04:18 PM
Hellsing is VERY different from Van Helsing.

Hellsing has the BEST Dracula in contemporary fiction.

Van Helsing had one of the WORST Draculas in contemporary fiction.

djnorris_2000
2006-04-06, 05:04 PM
Actually, i really liked Hellsing. It wasn't an amazing movie, but I was laughing all the way through, just like I wanted to.

Also, I thought Dracula was played brilliantly, but then I wasn't expecting him to eb anything like the literature, I wanted a melodromatic, pretencious over acted villain.

Sir_Ophiuchus
2006-04-06, 07:28 PM
Gotta love the name Alucard. To quote Terry Pratchett, "Do they really think spelling their name backwards fools anyone?"

hyenahyena
2006-04-06, 09:04 PM
Van hellsing.

Ok

So the angel gabriel is on a mission from monks to stop dracula using frankensteins monster to power his evil bat babies and only werewolves can kill dracula but dracula can control werewolves and now van hellsing is a werewolf even though he's an angel and now they fight and now its over.

Seriously. I want whatever crack they were smoking. Fun movie, but seriously it was an abomination unto script writers everywhere.

seriously seriously

400vip
2006-04-07, 11:44 PM
True dat. The ball scene at the chateau did not belong in that movie...right up until the fight broke out.

Frankenstein's Monster was a giant battery. Who kew? :P

Oh, you want gizmoes? "Arms and Equipment Guide", Dragon #316 (spies and their toys) and the equipment chapters of "Races of the Wild/Stone".

But remember: a hero is still a hero without toys and geegaws.

you must be a sissy monk if you say that. gadgets are all the fun of it. espesicaly combustibles

Darkstrider
2006-04-10, 12:35 PM
okey, we are a little off topic here.
does anyone think thay can help or not?

-Johnny A.

Gideon86
2006-04-11, 08:35 PM
This is not weapon related, but i'm sure you'll all enjoy it... do any of the rulebooks say anything about snapping of the neck during a grapple check for an instant kill? (I'm a Half-Orc gestalt fighter/monk. I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs with an 18 strength score. I can pluck your head off like a grape, and I know where you sleep!)

Orion-the-G
2006-04-11, 08:41 PM
Only one class can do that, the reaping mauler. Their capstone ability allows them to make a death attack against anyone they grapple for 3 rounds.

sumobrother
2007-02-06, 07:33 PM
Link and all his toys in his magic stash holder is one to be known. hes got everything a hero could need!

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-06, 07:54 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If a year-old thread gets resurrected and then you post in it, is it still thread necromancy? Please let's let this one lie. Thanks.