PDA

View Full Version : The Stage Magician [Work in Progress]

Zerous
2011-11-25, 03:01 AM
...or at least that's the concept I'm going on. Personally, it's more based on an old idea I had, the Hedge Mage. Hedge Mage used only level 0 spells and could tie them together to form slightly more powerful and wildly varied spells. Casting level 0 spells as many times per day as he wanted, and combining multiple spells each round was fun to think about, but ultimately I abandoned the idea, partly because I couldn't do much with the class (though I have more ideas now) and mostly because I just couldn't figure out how to word the class properly and it sounded so clunky and awful to me when I read through it.

So here I am today, humbly hoping you all can help me bring my ideas to fruition. ... I should also mention I have no idea how to make a table, so I probably should have thought this out better. Oh well, already in the post.

The Stage Magician

"Prestidigitation!"

The Concept: A magician of small magics, used more to entertain rather than harm, but can hold his own against rowdy customers, disgruntled guests and the occasional pillaging horde of monsters that crash into his act at the worst possible moment. Restricted to level 0 and possibly level 1 spells only, but can cast them MANY (perhaps endlessly) times per day, and slowly gains the ability to weave multiple spells together, chain-casting many per round.

Class Features: Ones I've already thought of include:

Prestidigitation (Sp): Can cast it, as the spell, at will. Gains it as a constant intrinsic effect later, able to call upon it without any components.

Advanced Prestidigitation (Su): Can alter own spells in minor ways, such as changing the color, sound, or smell. Makes them slightly harder to resist and/or identify. (adds to the saving throw and Spellcraft DCs for identification)

Masterful Prestidigitation (Su): Can alter spells in even more amusing ways, making them difficult to resist, identify and counter. (further increases the DC)

Stage Hands (Su): A growing swarm of respawning Unseen Servants.

Minor Magic Mastery and Cantrip Chain, Both (Su), and the lynchpin of the class. I have no idea how to properly word them game-wise, but they are, respectively, complete knowledge of all level 0 and 1 spells while slowly bypassing the spell's normal cutoff point (allowing, say, Sleep to affect higher HD creatures), and the ability to cast multiple spells each round.

Nothing Up My Sleeve (Su): Can produce any item up to 1 gp in value from nothingness, with a Sleight of Hand check made to make the item 'appear from nowhere.' If failed, the item unceremoniously falls out of his sleeve and to the ground, messing up the trick. If a hat is used, an item up to 5 gp in value can be drawn out. These values can increase.

For My Next Trick... (Sp): Summon Monster of increasingly higher level, by pulling them out of your hat. At will, but higher and higher Sleight of Hand checks are needed to pull the monster out.

Mesmerizing Performance (Su): When mixing spells together, the Stage Magician can alter them with his advanced prestidigitation to make them irresistibly amusing. Targets within range (30 ft?) must make a save or become Dazed by the performance, even if damaged by the effects.

Smoke and Mirrors (Sp): Dimension Door in a burst of blinding smoke.

Clever Misdirection (Su): With a successful Sleight of Hand, he can ignore somatic components. By increasing the DC, he can also ignore verbal components, and by increasing it even further, he can cast the spell from another location within... Let's say 10 ft, increasing with class level? Giving the illusion of fighters, commoners, tables and chairs casting things they shouldn't.

I'm still working on ideas, obviously. Wording them to work in-game is the part I have trouble with, especially with chain-casting spells.

PEACH
2011-11-25, 03:18 AM
There is a big problem with this; while an "entertaining" class is a fine idea in theory and for roleplaying purposes, there's already free reign to alter classes fluff, so a class that is only based on a fun idea and without considering mechanical strength can't work. If you want your wizard or sorcerer to be roleplayed as an old-timey stage magician (just with real magic tricks instead of clever illusions and misdirection), you can easily do that with the current class. Stripping away the fluff, you've only got... well, the only real abilities are fluff abilities, since "changing how the spell looks" is something you can already do.

The actual concept has been done before, and it's still basically the same here: Casting a bunch of first level spells, even chained together, is almost always not really that strong at all, and with good reason. They're not meant to be powerful spells. While yes, theoretically getting a huge number of actions per round to use the spells can help, they just aren't going to bring a lot of utility or strength to the table, and are just too limited to base a class around.

Zerous
2011-11-25, 03:27 AM
Oh :smallfrown: Well, then. I'll see what I can do to make it more mechanically different. Add more 'crunch' to it. I already have a few ideas to expand on, so expect some updates.

Thank you for the honesty. Perhaps I can still do something with it...

EdroGrimshell
2011-11-25, 02:59 PM
Oh :smallfrown: Well, then. I'll see what I can do to make it more mechanically different. Add more 'crunch' to it. I already have a few ideas to expand on, so expect some updates.

Thank you for the honesty. Perhaps I can still do something with it...

Actually i've been working on this as a combination spellcaster/invoker for a while now and i have some ideas to make it worth it, if you'd like to collaborate to make the class both flavorful and mechanically functional.

Zerous
2011-11-25, 11:31 PM
I'd actually like to do my own thing, but I don't see why this would have to be the only stage magician wandering around. I'd be happy to work with you, while continuing to fiddle with my own project.

And abandon it when the collab turns out to be way better.

EdroGrimshell
2011-11-25, 11:58 PM
I'd actually like to do my own thing, but I don't see why this would have to be the only stage magician wandering around. I'd be happy to work with you, while continuing to fiddle with my own project.

Actually my idea is very simple, invocations for basic illusions and minor summonings, a little token like a watch or something that can have various stuff added, like it acting as a weapon or enhancing magic. An ability for chaining cantrips, like what you're doing, an ability to augment cantrips and make them almost as powerful as higher level spells, that kind of thing. And my version went up to 5th level spells and had metamagic mitigators for magicion spells only.