PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Eldritch Blast ?

Bloodgruve
2011-11-25, 10:05 AM
So I've red through it a couple times and I must be missing something. How often can a warlock use her Eldritch Blast? Is it once per round or per attack? Will the warlock gain iterative uses with BAB?

TYVM
Blood~

Kaje
2011-11-25, 10:10 AM
It's a standard action SLA. They do not gain iteratives.

EDIT: Ooh, but check out the invocation Eldritch Glaive from Dragon Magic. It's a full-round SLA that turns your ray into a melee touch attack and does grant iteratives.

DiBastet
2011-11-25, 10:16 AM
+1

(It's like a spell. Pretend it's like a spell, so it becomes easier to understand)

Psyren
2011-11-25, 11:08 AM
There are a few (very few) ways to fire it more than once per round. Even then, the second shot tends to use up your Swift or otherwise be difficult to repeat.

Your best bet is to pile as many damage-increasers on as possible, like Hellfire Blast, Psionic Shot and precision damage. It can't be a machine-gun, but you can make it a railgun.

imneuromancer
2011-11-25, 11:18 AM
The thing I don't understand about the warlock's invocations is

* for invocations like Voracious Dispelling, do you hit the victim with an Eldritch Blast, and it ALSO does the dispel magic? Or do you do EITHER a dispel OR the blast??

* For things like their black tentacle, it mentions that it does "cold damage", but how much cold damage??

Campbellk8105
2011-11-25, 11:18 AM
Because of pretty much only being able to fire one a round, I made a "clawlock" instead. Eldritch claws. Takes your unarmed damage + eldritch blast to form 2 claws. Beast strike feat, take your eldritch claws, and turn it into unarmed damage. So you'll be doing unarmed x2 + Eld blast + str.

Example:
Unarmed damage 1d4 + str
Eldritch blast 4d6
Edlritch claws 4d6+1d4 + str
Beast strike 4d6+2d4+str

My warforged clawlock is having fun in the campaign I'm in. My end damage should be somewhere close to 17d6+str each hit or something along those lines, very handy stuff.

Keneth
2011-11-25, 11:24 AM

* for invocations like Voracious Dispelling, do you hit the victim with an Eldritch Blast, and it ALSO does the dispel magic? Or do you do EITHER a dispel OR the blast??

* For things like their black tentacle, it mentions that it does "cold damage", but how much cold damage?? Voracious dispelling has nothing to do with eldritch blast, only essences and shapes affect the blast. Voracious dispelling is a completely separate spell-like ability which acts like dispel magic. Chilling tentacles do 2d6 points of cold damage per round, it says so right in the description.

My warforged clawlock is having fun in the campaign I'm in. My end damage should be somewhere close to 17d6+str each hit or something along those lines, very handy stuff. While somewhat worse than a glaivelock, I've had plenty of fun with both types of builds. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-11-25, 11:27 AM

* For things like their black tentacle, it mentions that it does "cold damage", but how much cold damage??

Invocations are separate attacks from your eldritch blast. They're just like SLAs and should mention which spell they're based on.

They typically take a standard action, which generally means you can't use an invocation and fire an eldritch blast in the same round. If you have some way to get extra standard actions then you can use them both.

For your questions:
- You would typically choose either to dispel or to blast; each one requires a standard action. Again, if you can get more than one per round, you can fire off both.
- It says it right in the invocation text - 2d6 cold damage. (This is in addition to the 1d6+4 bludgeoning you normally get from Black Tentacles.)

Ninja

nedz
2011-11-25, 01:45 PM
Ways of getting Extra EBs per round.

Feat: Quicken Spell Life Ability - 3/day. Its in MM and you need 10 levels of Warlock to qualify. You won't be able to use all of your essences or shapes at first, because they can raise the 'spell level' of the EB. Each shape or essence has an effective spell level listed in their description (you need to look at the detailed section after the spell descriptions in CArc. This is where it tells you about the cold damage for the tenticles BTW). There is a table in MM which lists what caster level you need to be to Quicken a given SLA.

Blast Shape: Eldritch Chain

You can also use the shape Eldritch Glaive, which is in another splat book. I forget which one but its listed in the Warlock Handbook, which a quite search of this forum should reveal. This turns your EB into a reach melle weapon and so you get iteratives.

kardar233
2011-11-25, 01:57 PM
Clawlock gets really mean when you get two sets of iteratives through Beast Strike and Rapidstrike.

Socratov
2011-11-25, 04:38 PM
Ways of getting Extra EBs per round.

Feat: Quicken Spell Life Ability - 3/day. Its in MM and you need 10 levels of Warlock to qualify. You won't be able to use all of your essences or shapes at first, because they can raise the 'spell level' of the EB. Each shape or essence has an effective spell level listed in their description (you need to look at the detailed section after the spell descriptions in CArc. This is where it tells you about the cold damage for the tenticles BTW). There is a table in MM which lists what caster level you need to be to Quicken a given SLA.

Blast Shape: Eldritch Chain

You can also use the shape Eldritch Glaive, which is in another splat book. I forget which one but its listed in the Warlock Handbook, which a quite search of this forum should reveal. This turns your EB into a reach melle weapon and so you get iteratives.

the shape works, but the quicken doesn't. it is explicitly stated that you can't use Eldritch blast multiple times per round, except ofcourse for Eldritch glaive, which can be found in dragon magic.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-25, 04:53 PM
Ahem... allow me to clarify a few things:

There are three different types of Invocations: Eldritch Essences, Blast Shapes, and Other.

The first two alter what your Eldritch Blast does. Those in the 'Other' category Are bog-standard unlimited-use Spell-Like Abilities, and behave entirely as such.

Eldritch Essences give your EB a 'carrier' effect. Some of them are nearly worthless, others are quite valuable. Hindering Blast, for example, gives your EB a Will save or Slowed effect. Very handy when Chaining. And spammable every round. Your Eldritch Blast *STILL* does it's regularly scheduled damage *IN ADDITION TO* whatever the Essence adds to it. Pretty nifty.

Blast Shapes modify target selection. Eldritch Spear, for example, lets you snipe from over a hundred feet away (otherwise limited to 30'). Eldritch Chain lets you hit multiple secondary targets. So does Eldritch Cone.

Other invocations are a Standard action to use (unless otherwise specified), and have nothing to do with Eldritch Blast, do not get to deal Eldritch Blast damage, and basically operate as unlimited-use Spell-Like Abilities.

For example, Voracious Dispelling. You can spam dispells every round. You don't get to add EB damage to it, but you can sure debuff the heck out of buffed opponents.

Does this clear things up?

nedz
2011-11-25, 05:44 PM
the shape works, but the quicken doesn't. it is explicitly stated that you can't use Eldritch blast multiple times per round, except ofcourse for Eldritch glaive, which can be found in dragon magic.

Complete Arcane P72 (first full paragraph on the page) specifically states that you can use Quicken SLA with Invokations, and Eldritch Blast is an invokation.