PDA

View Full Version : Templates on a race with other forms.

Kaje
2011-11-25, 10:49 AM
What would happen if you placed templates on a race that naturally has other forms it can turn into, like a tibbit or hengeyokai. The animal form is just as must a part of that race as the humanoid form. By pure fluff reasons I woud think the alternate form would have the template characteristics as well, so a half-minotaur hengeyokai sparrow would have horns and massive strength even in birdy form, and a mineral warrior tibbit would be a rocky kitty. But I suspect that RAW might be against me, unfortunately. What would it be?

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:04 PM
What would happen if you placed templates on a race that naturally has other forms it can turn into, like a tibbit or hengeyokai. The animal form is just as must a part of that race as the humanoid form. By pure fluff reasons I woud think the alternate form would have the template characteristics as well, so a half-minotaur hengeyokai sparrow would have horns and massive strength even in birdy form, and a mineral warrior tibbit would be a rocky kitty. But I suspect that RAW might be against me, unfortunately. What would it be?

Yes.

A Half-Blue Dragon Hengeyokai (Crab) who takes his crab form becomes a Half-Blue Dragon Crab (AKA: That Damn Crab Jr.)

Curmudgeon
2011-11-25, 06:03 PM
But I suspect that RAW might be against me, unfortunately. What would it be?
If the template can only be applied to particular types or subtypes, it only applies to those types and subtypes. Also if you apply a template that changes the type, that's your only type even if your original form allowed more than one. If a template changes your type but you retain the subtype which allows alternate forms (such as shapechanger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_shapechangersubtype&alpha=S)) then those still work. Dragon # 318 updated Oriental Adventures to 3.5 and Hengeyokai are Humanoid (shapechanger); the Dragon Compendium Errata changed the Tibbit subtype from "shapeshifter" to shapechanger also.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-25, 07:16 PM
I'm just curious, buy what about a doppelganger with a template?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-25, 09:27 PM
The only sticky part about a Doppelganger ─ Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger) ─ is if the template applies a size change, such as Half-Orc or Half-Minotaur. Then it's a DM's call to see if they stick to
Change Shape (Su)

A doppelganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. or adjust this upwards by one size step (to Medium or Large).

After all, altering form is Supernatural (i.e., magic), so being a bit different naturally after a template is applied normally wouldn't have much to do with whatever appearance you want to wear today.