PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How does Quicken SLA work?

Frosty
2011-11-25, 12:14 PM
In the Bestiary, the Quicken SLA feat says:

Choose one of the creature's spell-like abilities, subject to the restrictions described in this feat. The creature can use the chosen spell-like ability as a quickened spell-like ability three times per day. The creature can only select a spell-like ability duplicating a spell with a level less than or equal to 1/2 its caster level (round down) – 4

How does that interact with the Summon Monster SLA that a Summoner gets? Can a Summoner never take this feat because the duplicated spell's level keeps going on? Or can the Summoner use this feat but must restrict himself to weaker versions of the SLA like only quickening Summon Monster 2 equivalent when he is level 12?

Stone Heart
2011-11-26, 12:17 AM
I would in that case read it as only being able to use the lower level ones, like your example of using summoner monster 2, because otherwise I don't know how it would work.

Frosty
2011-11-26, 12:34 AM
Back in 3.5, you could take Quicken SLA for say...Eldritch Blast, but I guess Eldritch Blast never counts as a spell of a higher level? Or maybe templates and essences and such did modify the level. But in any case, I think my example is what makes the most sense as well.

Urpriest
2011-11-26, 01:30 AM
Back in 3.5, you could take Quicken SLA for say...Eldritch Blast, but I guess Eldritch Blast never counts as a spell of a higher level? Or maybe templates and essences and such did modify the level. But in any case, I think my example is what makes the most sense as well.

Eldritch Blast had to be explicitly changed so it's level didn't go up with Warlock level to make it compatible with 3.5's Quicken SLA. So PF needs similar language for its Quicken SLA and its Summoner.