PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: I want to be broken.

Snowbluff
2011-11-25, 12:26 PM
So my Army brother is coming back for Christmas, and he wants to be a "combat caster". Problem is, that is what I was going to do. Since he hasn't gotten to play since he left, I won't step on his toes. So in Snowbluff fashion, when I don't get my way, I'll develop or find a broken trick to use when things get hairy.

Here is our composition so far:
Gunslinger
A Magic Jar with a heal bot oracle in it.
Combat Caster (Magus or Blaster Sorc, he wasn't too clear)

So my question is, what is the best option for me? I could play a generalist Wizard, but the spell list is boring and unappealing as far as PF goes. I don't get to use 3.5 so my hilariously messed up Ur Priest/RKV build is vetoed. Not that I want to be playing 2 campaigns as the same thing in the first place. As melee I think I'll be far outshined by the other party members anyway. I am considering Paladin so I can laugh at everyone when they inevitably die.

So is there anything messed or imba in Pathfinder I can use to keep up with damage with the rest of the party members?

PS: Does anyone else think PF fails to fix the class imbalance? Or that giving Sorc class features doesn't help much?

Xtomjames
2011-11-25, 06:05 PM
First to answer the question of imbalance: PF is a step forward in fixing it, they never claimed to fix it, but they did bring the two class types closer together in power.

That said if you want to play a broken character in Path Finder I suggest going the Rogue Alchemist route, get yourself a bag of holding, turn it inside out, tie a string on the inside, turn it right side in, make several bombs and dump them in the bag of holding which suspends their explosive nature (yay for that loophole) then sneak around throw the bag over people's heads and pull the string releasing a hail storm of bombs.

Okay that's cheap trickery on my part, if you really want a broken character it really depends on what level you're starting at. Personally I tend to go with the Rogue or Bard or Druid if you want to really get broken, Rogues and Bards are skill hounds and get huge bonuses and tricks in Pathfinder. Druids are just as powerful as their 3.5 counterparts if not more so and if you can play a base race I suggest either Tengu or Quickling. Tengu have 1/3 CR and you gain sword trained (proficient with any sword like weapon) and a boost to the speak language skill. Quicklings have a CR of 4 (ie LA of 4) have a top speed of 120, are 2 feet tall, and have natural invisibility so spells like true seeing still can't see them. They're great for rogue or fighter characters. Not to mention the bonus feats of mobility, dodge, and spring attack. Since it seems your party is made up mostly of spell caster/long range characters, having a short range nasty dude who can run around and attack in melee combat and still own is a good strategy.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-11-25, 07:50 PM
but they did bring the two class types closer together in power.
That's a funny joke.

Metahuman1
2011-11-25, 08:44 PM
Build a Wizard and craft things. Cast Batman style spells, spells that are save or Suck/Lose/Die or are Utility or Buff spells, not spells that are blasty spells.

Or just be a druid and take natural and extend spell and Jack up you Wis and Con scores like there's no tomorrow.

Snowbluff
2011-11-25, 11:31 PM
First to answer the question of imbalance: PF is a step forward in fixing it, they never claimed to fix it, but they did bring the two class types closer together in power.

That said if you want to play a broken character in Path Finder I suggest going the Rogue Alchemist route, get yourself a bag of holding, turn it inside out, tie a string on the inside, turn it right side in, make several bombs and dump them in the bag of holding which suspends their explosive nature (yay for that loophole) then sneak around throw the bag over people's heads and pull the string releasing a hail storm of bombs.

Okay that's cheap trickery on my part, if you really want a broken character it really depends on what level you're starting at. Personally I tend to go with the Rogue or Bard or Druid if you want to really get broken, Rogues and Bards are skill hounds and get huge bonuses and tricks in Pathfinder. Druids are just as powerful as their 3.5 counterparts if not more so and if you can play a base race I suggest either Tengu or Quickling. Tengu have 1/3 CR and you gain sword trained (proficient with any sword like weapon) and a boost to the speak language skill. Quicklings have a CR of 4 (ie LA of 4) have a top speed of 120, are 2 feet tall, and have natural invisibility so spells like true seeing still can't see them. They're great for rogue or fighter characters. Not to mention the bonus feats of mobility, dodge, and spring attack. Since it seems your party is made up mostly of spell caster/long range characters, having a short range nasty dude who can run around and attack in melee combat and still own is a good strategy.

Oh, the rogue bomb thing is an idea >:D
I'll have to get an okay on Tengu, looks plain awesome. Even if I don't break it, crows are cool.

EDIT: Starting at level 6, btw.

Xtomjames
2011-11-26, 09:58 AM
Oo, then go Quickling Half Tengu get the speed and the sword training (still only a level adjustment of 4) and take Rogue or Druid. Sneak attack with spring attack ooo fun.