PDA

View Full Version : Weird Idea: Mutant Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adept

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 01:19 PM
Here was a twisted thought that popped into my head:

Race: Arctic Mongrelfolk Dragonborn
Class: Dragonfire Adept 20

The Race alone gives me a whopping +8 Constitution, a Breath Weapon/Wings/Immunities (depending), and an Ok SLA.

Going from 1-20, how well would this work if I focused on using my breath weapons to incite havoc with Battlefield Control?

Zaq
2011-11-25, 01:22 PM
Yeah, dragonborn mongrelfolk is one of the standard races for a DFA. I assume Arctic is a template that gives MOAR CON with LA +0? In for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. Anyway, you'd be pretty much as effective as any DFA at controlling the battlefield, only with bigger numbers. That is to say, you'd be pretty good at it, though you're still no Wizard (which might be a selling point).

marcielle
2011-11-25, 01:29 PM
Lesser Planetouched Ice Paragenasi is strictly superior to Mongrelfolk if you're going Dragon Mag anyway. Also, Artic Ice. Tell me that doesn't sound wayyy more awesome than 'Mongrelfolk'.

Big Fau
2011-11-25, 01:29 PM
I assume you are referring to the Arctic Subraces in UA? If so, it's not a template you can slap on everything you want. They are actual subraces, and Mongrelfolk do not have one.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 01:42 PM
Yeah, dragonborn mongrelfolk is one of the standard races for a DFA. I assume Arctic is a template that gives MOAR CON with LA +0? In for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. Anyway, you'd be pretty much as effective as any DFA at controlling the battlefield, only with bigger numbers. That is to say, you'd be pretty good at it, though you're still no Wizard (which might be a selling point).

Yes. Arctic is +2 Con -2, +1/-1 saves vs. Cold/Fire, +2 to Survival Checks, and Ray of Frost 1/day, so I say it's good. It's from Dragon Magazine 306

And the party has a Deep-Dwelling Quorbred Grey Elf Spellslinging Conjurer (+8 Int racially) who is acting blaster, a Noble Drow Oracle who is our healer, a Kobold Drunken Pugilist (He thinks he's a Dwarf), a Half-Elf Assassin (Homebrew BC), and a Water Orc Serene Paladin/Crusader (Homebrew Archtype that uses Wisdom instead of Charisma), so I am the designated BFC Guy

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 01:55 PM
Lesser Planetouched Ice Paragenasi is strictly superior to Mongrelfolk if you're going Dragon Mag anyway. Also, Artic Ice. Tell me that doesn't sound wayyy more awesome than 'Mongrelfolk'.

+2 Con -2 Int vs +4 Con -4 Cha. Mongrelfolk seems far better on bare stats alone. Yes, the Ice Genasi has Grease as an SLA, but its lost to Dragonborn, along with its Clerical Focus. Yes, Humanoid (Extraplanar) is nice, but its no Outsider (Dragonblooded), so I'll take my +8 Con and hit the road

marcielle
2011-11-25, 04:42 PM
Ice PARAgenasi. From Dragon Mag. +4 con, +2 wis, -2 dex. Dragon 297.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 04:57 PM
Ice PARAgenasi. From Dragon Mag. +4 con, +2 wis, -2 dex. Dragon 297.

The +2 Wisdom is a moot. Like I need will saves... We get far more Reflex and Fortitude saves than Will Saves.

The race sounds good, and not uglier than sin, but a moderate reduction of AC is painful (-2)

marcielle
2011-11-25, 05:19 PM
Perhaps, but if you are a DFA and getting hit in meelee outisde the first round where you wouldn't have Dex to AC anyway, I'm afraid you are doing it wrong:smallbiggrin:.

Besides, failing a will is usually more disastrous then failing a Reflex, so even though there are more of the latter, it evens out.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:26 PM
Perhaps, but if you are a DFA and getting hit in meelee outisde the first round where you wouldn't have Dex to AC anyway, I'm afraid you are doing it wrong:smallbiggrin:.

Besides, failing a will is usually more disastrous then failing a Reflex, so even though there are more of the latter, it evens out.

I have died to a Reflex and a Fortitude with every dwarf I've played in recent memory (the first was a Balor's AoE and a collapsing castle, the latter was a poison that dropped me to -1 Charisma, since there was nobody who could cure me, I died), and never have failed a Will save in my career

Morph Bark
2011-11-25, 05:26 PM
Are you going to take one level of Barbarian, just because? :smallamused:

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:29 PM
Are you going to take one level of Barbarian, just because? :smallamused:

Why lose a level of Invocations and BW Damage for 1d12 HD and +1 BAB?

Morph Bark
2011-11-25, 05:39 PM
Why lose a level of Invocations and BW Damage for 1d12 HD and +1 BAB?

When going Mongrelfolk Dragonborn, I am partial to Barbarian 1 for another +4 Con and then go into DFA, becoming a tanky breath weapon machine and picking invocations that have long durations or out-of-combat applications.

Xtomjames
2011-11-25, 05:57 PM
Interesting idea, but I'll think I'll stick to my Quickling Half-fiend Time Lord (who knew there was a D20 Doctor Who book series..ha!) Jedi Knight gestalted Arcane Swordsage at level 20....

Darrin
2011-11-26, 08:22 AM
I have died to a Reflex and a Fortitude with every dwarf I've played in recent memory (the first was a Balor's AoE and a collapsing castle, the latter was a poison that dropped me to -1 Charisma, since there was nobody who could cure me, I died), and never have failed a Will save in my career

Consider taking Stoneblessed 3/Deepwarden 2/Fist of the Forest 1 to add your Con bonus to AC. Twice.

Tokuhara
2011-11-26, 11:41 AM
Consider taking Stoneblessed 3/Deepwarden 2/Fist of the Forest 1 to add your Con bonus to AC. Twice.

That however cripples my incoking and my Breath Weapon