PDA

View Full Version : D&D Breeding

Othesemo
2011-11-25, 03:33 PM
So, in a campaign I'm playing, one of the characters has taken a feat chain that allows him to breed any two creatures together (no outsiders, plants, oozes, undead or constructs, though). The resulting creature inherits all of the special qualities and attacks of the parents, and has the type of the parent with the most hit-die. It gains up to four of the spell like or supernatural abilities of the parents, and takes average movement speeds. One of its abilities is the highest of the two parents, one is the lowest, and four are the average of the two. The average hitdie of the two parents cannot be greater than fifteen.

Any two creatures of permitted types can be used, and there are no restrictions on sources. So, which two creatures would you chose to breed together?

Keneth
2011-11-25, 03:35 PM
An owl and a bear, clearly.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-25, 03:52 PM

I lol'd

Half dragon centaur.

FearlessGnome
2011-11-25, 04:02 PM
Manbearpig!

I'm fairly sure there is a monstrous humanoid out there somewhere that looks like a very ugly man pig. Add bear and voila!

Victoria
2011-11-25, 04:02 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a bug and a bear. :P

suhkkaet
2011-11-25, 04:08 PM
Magical beasts allowed?
Owlbear and Hippogrif, or Owlbear and Griffon.
Or Hippogrif and Griffon
Or Hydra and Kraken.

Animals;
Giant Squid and Hawk
Giant Squid and Wolf

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-25, 04:15 PM
Rust monster + big T.

Greymane
2011-11-25, 04:17 PM
Rust monster + big T.

... I'm gonna do that, and add the Winged Template to it. And then use it against my flabbergasted players.

Novawurmson
2011-11-25, 04:27 PM
Spider+Man

If vermin aren't allowed, bat+man.

FearlessGnome
2011-11-25, 04:31 PM
If vermin aren't allowed, bat+man.

Needs more class levels. Make it a cohort.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-25, 05:54 PM
Too bad no outsiders/undead.

Hecatoncheires + atropal= Win. (For the DM that is.)

100 attacks draining either 5 con per hit (10 for a crit) or 100 beams of 2d4 neg levels.

Be afraid, be very, very afraid.

twas_Brillig
2011-11-25, 06:11 PM
How often can your player abominate? 'cause I'd expect some pretty explosive chain-breeding. Probably literal explosions.

Actually, where are these feats from? Homebrew or third party?

Zale
2011-11-25, 06:19 PM
Illithid + Unicorn.

Meet my Chutluicorn! :smallsmile:

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-25, 06:29 PM
Acid-born fire subtype shark + Troll.

FMArthur
2011-11-25, 06:49 PM
Monstrous crab + cranium rat swarm

Coidzor
2011-11-25, 06:53 PM
Let's see... I think the Roc/Tyrannosaurus is the animal with the largest number of HD in core. Battletitan is probably the highest HD animal, but I think they're sterile, IIRC.

But, basically, breed T. Rex or a Roc with anything of less than 18 HD and they'll have the special qualities but be controllable with handle animal rather than diplomancy/dominate spells. Octopus/Squid + T.Rex = lots of attacks. T.Rex + Fleshraker = IKEA Battletitan....

And then you can also kill them and make them into undead if you really want.

Or something like a fleshraker with a marrulurk or skulk(those get a form of HIPS, right?) so that you've got something that's both sneaky and has a lot of attacks that get sneak attack.

Othesemo
2011-11-25, 08:28 PM
How often can your player abominate? 'cause I'd expect some pretty explosive chain-breeding. Probably literal explosions.

Actually, where are these feats from? Homebrew or third party?

It's third party. And you know, although it might be assumed that the offspring are sterile, it doesn't actually say that. I've just had a very evil idea.

Anyways, our current working model is a Greathorn Minotaur (MMIV)/Will-o-Wisp crossbreed. It inherits a perfect fly speed of 80 ft. and the 'Earth Glide' ability. Perhaps most entertainingly, it inherits the Will o wisp's natural invisibility and magic immunity. It also inherits the Minotaur's immunity to maze, one of the two spells that will o wisp's aren't already immune to.

Naturally, the progeny will be an abomination against nature. However, that was assumed at the beginning of the experiment.

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-25, 08:44 PM
Big T + willow wisp. Now the big T is truly immortal (immune to wish) and has a fly speed and has invisibility.

FMArthur
2011-11-25, 08:55 PM
Minotaurs are immune to Maze? That's it, I'm done with this game!

twas_Brillig
2011-11-25, 09:14 PM
Minotaurs are immune to Maze? That's it, I'm done with this game!

Well, clearly it wasn't the maze that contained the original minotaur, so much as the bitchin' bachelor pad in the middle.

Daedalus knew his stuff.

Coidzor
2011-11-25, 09:15 PM
But what is the source?

Othesemo
2011-11-25, 09:18 PM
But what is the source?

Mega-Feats, by Scorched Earth.

Zeta Kai
2011-11-25, 09:54 PM
Mega-Feats, by Scorched Earth.

Pics or it didn't happen. :smallwink:

Dragonsoul
2011-11-25, 11:52 PM
Red Dragon + Kitten

Gets all the fire breathing and flight from the dragon, combined with the sheer evil of the Kitten, be afraid, be very afraid

Daftendirekt
2011-11-26, 01:06 AM
Manbearpig!

I'm fairly sure there is a monstrous humanoid out there somewhere that looks like a very ugly man pig. Add bear and voila!

Half-orc barbarian bear warrior.

Bam. Manbearpig.

Urpriest
2011-11-26, 01:10 AM
Half-orc barbarian bear warrior.

Bam. Manbearpig.

Eh, Orcs haven't really been porcine since Tolkien. Well, except for the Monster Girl Encyclopedia (NSFW).

Novawurmson
2011-11-26, 01:19 AM
WoW's orcs have boar connections, I suppose. I often have orc and goblinoids riding boars in my campaigns.

Psyren
2011-11-26, 01:49 AM
... I'm gonna do that, and add the Winged Template to it. And then use it against my flabbergasted players.

Can't rust Allips. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-11-26, 02:01 AM
Eh, Orcs haven't really been porcine since Tolkien. Well, except for the Monster Girl Encyclopedia (NSFW).

D&D materials and artists have sorta flip-flopped on the issue though.

Maerok
2011-11-26, 02:09 AM
Who needs a Charisma score when he can designate himself as one-half of the pair? :smallwink:

Crossblade
2011-11-26, 02:18 AM
Roc for the HD & That D*mn Crab for abilities.
Or
Dragon + Crab
Or
Crab + Octopus

or
The Ultimate Underdog: Goblin + Kobold

Suddo
2011-11-26, 02:57 AM
I know my buddy used actual material and templates to make a Troll, Black Dragon Hybrid Template, Hydra Template. The result: A two headed fire breathing troll immune to fire and acid.

Coidzor
2011-11-26, 03:17 AM
There's the Multi-headed template, which I think can actually get you 3 heads on a Troll, since they're Large creatures, and the Half-Dragon Template, which if you slap on a troll can get them fire or acid immunity from the color of the dragon antecedent.

Combining a Half Black/Green/Copper Dragon Troll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm)/Wartroll with a Pyrohydra (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hydra.htm) would be pretty formidable though.

Flying, 12-13 heads and with the ability to double them if anything can cut them off, breathes fire regularly, breathes acid occasionally, melee fun times

...Come to think of it, Pyro/Cryo Squiddly-Hydra would be interesting as well. 23 attacks, 35 attacks with preparation. Add a little bard to that....

Volthawk
2011-11-26, 09:11 AM
Adding Choker to an already nasty creature could work nicely - the Choker's Quickness means that the creature gains another action, and I don't think I have to explain how useful that is.

Gorfang113
2011-11-26, 09:20 AM
Elder Brain and the Tarrasque.

Dragonsoul
2011-11-26, 09:35 AM
Hydra+ Sword...it can cut its OWN head off!

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-26, 10:40 AM
Feral Doppelganger and Primordial Ogre Mage.

Feral Doppelganger: +6 STR, +0 DEX, +4 CON, -2 INT, +6 WIS, +2 CHA.
Primordial Ogre Mage: +6 STR, +0 DEX, +4 CON, +10 INT, +4 WIS, +10 CHA.

So we're going to take the best Intelligence and the worst Wisdom: +6 STR, +0 DEX, +4 CON, +10 INT, +4 WIS, +6 CHA. We've got invisibility and detect thoughts at-will. Regeneration 5 (fire and acid) with fast healing 3. (Take Endurance and Diehard as feats. It's a moral imperative.) Shapechanging. If the things created by this feat can breed true, I've just rendered humanity obsolete.

Thank me later.

Venger
2011-11-26, 11:06 AM
Acid-born Terlen/ Pyrohydra

you now have a multi-headed shark that can fly (60ft avg) and swim (60ft) and run (60ft) that is immune to acid and fire and can breathe fire, and gets improved grab, ambush (double bite damage when catching poeple flatfooted) and worry, which is like rend for bite (deals bite damage after he gets someone with improved grab automatically)

you have multiple heads, so you can worry 1 guy while biting at others, and your heads also gow back with 2 more when severed and you've got fast healing.

if you're feeling especially trollish, you can kill this creature (or reanimate it if it falls in battle) as a skeleton to nab it immunity to cold damage. now it is immune to acid, cold, and fire, a.k.a. the only way to sear a hyrdra's heads.

pick its lowest stat as terlen cha/int because cha/int is useless for monsters and pick highest as hyrda str because str is useful. average the rest.

make sure and awaken skeleton him so he can retain his fast healing.

win D&D

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-26, 11:20 AM
Well, clearly it wasn't the maze that contained the original minotaur, so much as the bitchin' bachelor pad in the middle.

Daedalus knew his stuff.

Thats more or less how the myth was. The Cretan Labyrinth wasn't designed to trap the minotaur but to trap the sacrifices to the minotaur, which occured every year(or every nine years).

The D&D minotaur is immune to maze because the Cretan minotaur never got lost in his own labyrinth.

12 Headed Hydra+Illithid,