PDA

View Full Version : {PF} People's Opinion On Archon

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 04:55 PM
I looked at the class recently as an alternative option to my DFA (DM is on shaky ground about Mongrelfolk), so I decided to look at this class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/archon).

It seems more like a Duskblade than a Warmage as a comparison vs. Magus. It's a gish-in-a-box with few Spells/day, but better BAB and HD than Magus. At a glance, it fits it's "goal" of being a Fighter/Wizard multiclass in 20 levels. If I were to play this, I'd be a Fireblood Dwarf with the Spell Resistance ARF (Alternate Racial Feature) so I can continue the Legendary Forgebeard bloodline (Held by Balin, Thorin, Durin, Garen, Valedin, Baerdin, Zeradin...).

Any thoughts on the class and possible PrC-Out points/options?

Novawurmson
2011-11-25, 05:05 PM
Before I say anything else, remember that spell resistance affects friendly spells too. Continuing to browse.

Edit: Eh, in the end it's just a slightly more martially-focused Magus. I feel like the Magus is going to be the better choice 75% of the time.

Stormageddon
2011-11-25, 05:08 PM
The spells known is really limiting compared to other gish-in-a-box types, but other than that looks pretty good.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:08 PM
Before I say anything else, remember that spell resistance affects friendly spells too. Continuing to browse.

Right, however the DM lets Friendly Spells bypass if I allow it, but only if it is my spell (like casting Fly on myself, but not a Heal cast by the cleric)

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:10 PM
The spells known is really limiting compared to other gish-in-a-box types, but other than that looks pretty good.

What are some good PrCs that give me more spells without sacrificing too much BAB?

Novawurmson
2011-11-25, 05:13 PM
I'll go ahead and say again: There's really no reason to play this class when the Magus exists. Get Weapon Finesse and Dervish Dance and focus on Int, Dex, and Con. You'll be fine.

HunterOfJello
2011-11-25, 05:20 PM
What are some good PrCs that give me more spells without sacrificing too much BAB?

Sublime Chord from Complete Arcane only has a low BAB, but you could get 9th level spells from the PrC (assuming you can use 3.5 materials). You'd have to talk to your DM about how the spells would work.

Sand Shaper from Sandstorm adds a bunch of spells to your spells known list. It also has low bab though you only need 1 level in the class to gain the large list of spells known.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 05:22 PM
I'll go ahead and say again: There's really no reason to play this class when the Magus exists. Get Weapon Finesse and Dervish Dance and focus on Int, Dex, and Con. You'll be fine.

But...

1) I'm a Dwarf. Dwarves carry big hammers and make people's faces go away

2) Magus has 3/4 BAB

3) Archon's Fluff is far cooler than Magus'

twas_Brillig
2011-11-25, 06:14 PM
3) Archon's Fluff is far cooler than Magus'

And therefore should be re-appropriated as needed.

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 06:15 PM
And therefore should be re-appropriated as needed.

Point Taken. Just I like the "difficulty" theme

Tokuhara
2011-11-25, 10:18 PM
So would a Dwarf Archon work overall?