PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Arcane Duelist Bard vs. Magus

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-25, 08:41 PM
Ive been unusually interested in the idea of a "gish" lately, and from pathfinder, these seem to be the best choices for out of the box spellcasters/fighters.

Obviously, magus is more intended for dealing damage via his own attacks and spells, whereas an arcane duelist buffs himself and the party to deal damage, and has more versatile spell list.

IN your opinion, which does the job better, both as an individual and as a member of a party? Why?

Which do you think would be more fun to play? Why?

Im looking forward to what you all have to say about this!

legomaster00156
2011-11-25, 10:22 PM
Hmm... the Arcane Duelist is more intended for anti-spellcaster play. I am inclined to say that overall, the Magus has the Bard beat. I would give an in-depth analysis, but my finger's aren't up to it right now.

Kon Lesh
2011-11-25, 10:29 PM
I would also say the Magus (in combat) is better. But outside of combat, I think that the arcane duelist is winning.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-26, 06:43 AM
I would also say the Magus (in combat) is better. But outside of combat, I think that the arcane duelist is winning.

so is that combat you speak of based on single combat or party vs. party?

BobVosh
2011-11-26, 07:16 AM
That would depend more on the party composition than the bard.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-26, 09:01 PM
well, assume a "standard" party: a beatstick meat shield, a healer, and a full arcane caster. Assume the Bard/magus takes the place as either skillmonkey or support caster. which party would you prefer to be in?

Bhaakon
2011-11-27, 01:53 AM
The more front-liners in your party, the more the bard's support abilities are going to shine. The fewer frontliners you've got, the more you need that magus taking care of business in melee. But I don't know what the tipping point is, precisely.

The Bard's going to be doing more for you outside of combat, though, so I'd certainly favor him in that particular party.