PDA

View Full Version : Undead grafts on an undead

Velaryon
2011-11-25, 09:50 PM
I've run into a situation in my campaign where a human (let's call him Boneclaw McGraw) with six undead grafts (from Libris Mortis, p. 79 for anyone who needs the reference) on his body has been killed, and the party's Dread Necromancer plans to raise him with animate dead.

What I'm trying to figure out is, what happens with those undead grafts? Do they continue to function? In the case of grafts with use-activated abilities, is a mindless undead capable of activating them at all, even if ordered to do so?

I don't know yet whether the Dread Necro is going to raise him as a zombie or a skeleton. He generally prefers skeletons, but depending on how I rule this issue with the grafts he may choose to make McGraw a zombie instead.

The exact grafts that Boneclaw McGraw has are Bonemail, Skeletal Hand, Paralyzing Arm, Bodak's Eye, Mummified Eye, and Undead Skin. Obviously Undead Skin is moot now, and if McGraw becomes a skeleton then Skeletal Hand is irrelevant as well. But what about the other four grafts?

It seems to me that the strength bonus from the Paralyzing Arm would still apply either way, but I'm unclear whether it could still use the paralyzing touch, and whether that's affected by if he becomes a skeleton or zombie.

Likewise, I'm thinking that the Bonemail would still apply if he's a zombie. I don't know if it would still be attached to his body if he becomes a skeleton. The same applies for the two eye grafts, and in addition those face the same question of whether he can still use them, being a mindless undead and all.

So does anyone have a definitive answer for me as to how this works, or is this a case of "rule how you think best?"

Velaryon
2011-11-26, 01:22 PM
Anybody? :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2011-11-26, 01:32 PM
Grafts, for many purposes, function like magic items. They differ in the regard that they continue to function in AMFs (the Extraordinairy abilities they grant, that is, the Su/SLAs still cease).

So the newly animated corpse would have the benefits of the grafts, yes.

Velaryon
2011-11-26, 05:18 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thanks! :smallbiggrin: