PDA

View Full Version : On Libris Mortis

Kelvin360
2011-11-26, 05:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the full listings of prerequisites, class abilities, and history on Tomb Wardens, or, if anyone has the actual book, if they would be willing to type it up for me.

Thanks in advance, whomever responds.

candycorn
2011-11-26, 05:20 AM
Unfortunately, Libris Mortis isn't Open Game Content, so publishing content from the book would violate forum policy, as would be directing you to published content.

If I get time later on, I may post a rough paraphrase of the Tomb Wardens, which wouldn't run afoul of policy.

Unseenmal
2011-11-26, 09:07 AM
I can try to do this without violating the forum rules...I hope I succeed and don't get in too much trouble if I fail....I'll delete the post if I screw it up :smallsmile:

I own this book. I have it right here in front of me.

Tomb Wardens have to be any non-chaotic undead with a BAB of +3, Base Will Save of +5 and the Toughness feat. Then you have to meet the special requirement of dedicating yourself to protecting a tomb, graveyard or other resting place for the dead.

They get d12 for their HD and 4+Int for skills. Hide, Know(Religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive and Spot. The are proficient with simple and martial weapons plus light, med and hvy armor.

It's only a 3 lvl PrC
1st lvl nets you +1BAB, +2 Fort saves and Turn Immunity while you are within your protected area.

2nd lvl nets you +1BAB, +1 Fort saves and Tomb Sense to know where all intruders are within your protected area. It functions like blindsense but doesn't need line of effect and extends to your entire protected tomb

3rd lvl nets you +1BAB and +1Ref and Will saves plus Power of the Dead which allows you to call on the souls of your protected area to gain insight from them 1x/day for 10 minutes. It's a Free Action and grants an insight bonus to attack, damage and saves equal to your Cha mod (min of +1)
I hope that helps :smallbiggrin:

And doesn't get me in too much trouble

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-26, 05:45 PM
Basically, it's not one for PC's because all the abilities require you to be in the resting place you guard, which explicitly cannot be mobile. And you 'fall' and loose all class abilities if you leave the resting place you guard for more than seven days.

Also, don't think to cheese it with a bag of holding or similar nonsense, since you have to be physically IN it. Since you can't fight from within a bag of holding, it does you no good.

It's good for a Lieutenant or BBEG NPC, because it basically screws over most of the common ways to trivialize the encounter (Tomb Sense bypasses 'you can't see me', Turn Immunity removes the most common method of removing undead threats...), and the 'capstone' ability is good for boosting an NPC who is just going to die that fight anyways, but would suck for a PC as it is only 1/day.

Honestly, of all of the undead PrC's in Libris MOrtis, the only one worth bothering with is either lurking Terror (for HiPS), or Ephemeral Exemplar (good for boosting the nastiness of incorporeal undead).

Psyren
2011-11-26, 06:15 PM
Acorn of Far Travel?

twas_Brillig
2011-11-26, 06:16 PM
Also, don't think to cheese it with a bag of holding or similar nonsense, since you have to be physically IN it. Since you can't fight from within a bag of holding, it does you no good.

Take one (1) undead miniature pixie and one (1) Apparatus of the Crab, mix well, and...

candycorn
2011-11-26, 06:16 PM
Could be used for an astral projecting wizard?

Kelvin360
2011-11-26, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies!

@candycorn -

I did not realize that this would violate that policy, and thusly apologize for basically asking people to break the rules :S

@Unseenmal -

Thank you for the rough draft, it's definately appreciated.

gomipile
2011-11-26, 06:51 PM
Basically, it's not one for PC's because all the abilities require you to be in the resting place you guard, which explicitly cannot be mobile. And you 'fall' and loose all class abilities if you leave the resting place you guard for more than seven days.

It's good for a Lieutenant or BBEG NPC, because it basically screws over most of the common ways to trivialize the encounter (Tomb Sense bypasses 'you can't see me', Turn Immunity removes the most common method of removing undead threats...), and the 'capstone' ability is good for boosting an NPC who is just going to die that fight anyways, but would suck for a PC as it is only 1/day.

Honestly, of all of the undead PrC's in Libris MOrtis, the only one worth bothering with is either lurking Terror (for HiPS), or Ephemeral Exemplar (good for boosting the nastiness of incorporeal undead).

Ah, but a kobold Enveloping Pit opened up on top of a floating disk or similar might work.

nedz
2011-11-26, 07:02 PM
Surely all you need is transport.

Some examples (large transport obviously)

A large wagon full of soil
A ghost ship of some kind
Some kind of gigantic creature who wouldn't notice the tombs on its back
A floating island

Crasical
2011-11-26, 07:10 PM
Surely all you need is transport.

Pretty sure not.

Basically, it's not one for PC's because all the abilities require you to be in the resting place you guard, which explicitly cannot be mobile.

EDIT: Also I posted a thread this very day about a tank-pilot wizard, and mentioned all the problems with dungeon delving and even going inside when your build is sunk into piloting a cannon-chariot. Can you imagine compounding that with a wagonload of gravedirt and headstones?

Flickerdart
2011-11-26, 07:47 PM
Even without the Acorn, this becomes practical as soon as you get Teleport, because you can just zip back home once a week, "guard" it for a few minutes and then go back to adventuring.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-26, 08:05 PM
Even without the Acorn, this becomes practical as soon as you get Teleport, because you can just zip back home once a week, "guard" it for a few minutes and then go back to adventuring.

Fighter would be better for you, since every single ability requires that you physically be IN your guarded area. Thus, while you don't lose everything, you don't gain anything either.

Acorn of Far Travel won't work, because it has nothing to do with a specific region, it has to do with a specific tomb/graveyard, which is irrespective of area.

Psyren
2011-11-27, 02:35 AM
Acorn of Far Travel won't work, because it has nothing to do with a specific region, it has to do with a specific tomb/graveyard, which is irrespective of area.

As long as the graveyard has an oak tree inside it you should be good.

"Acorn of far travel must be cast upon an acorn that is still attached to a living oak tree. As you cast the spell, the spirit of the oak tree wells into the acorn, which detaches into your hand once the casting is complete. As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy."

"Under that oak tree" means you're in whatever place that oak tree is in; that specific oak tree can't be anywhere else.