PDA

View Full Version : Systems (which are NOT D&D) that work well for PBP

UserClone
2011-11-26, 06:01 AM
I'm wondering what systems you find work well for PBP and why. Hint: if you say D&D, you aren't being helpful.

Knaight
2011-11-26, 07:38 AM
I tend to use homebrews. That said, stick to lightweight systems that don't take long to resolve actions, and don't require a lot of back and forth for standard rolls. Fudge works well for this, as long as you avoid alternating round combat, as it is combat which tends to drag PbP to a halt, and any order of posting is acceptable.

UserClone
2011-11-26, 08:53 AM
So you figure a system where conflicts are resolved with the fewest rolls possible might work best, hm? That makes sense, in terms of not bogging things down.

I wonder if Dogs in the Vineyard might work well, with its method of pre-rolling all the dice and then using a bidding mechanic to resolve conflict. It strikes me that it might make it easier to pre-plan your actions (part of what bogs down D&D PbP combat, IMO).

Knaight
2011-11-26, 09:21 AM
So you figure a system where conflicts are resolved with the fewest rolls possible might work best, hm? That makes sense, in terms of not bogging things down.

I wonder if Dogs in the Vineyard might work well, with its method of pre-rolling all the dice and then using a bidding mechanic to resolve conflict. It strikes me that it might make it easier to pre-plan your actions (part of what bogs down D&D PbP combat, IMO).

DiTV requires a lot of very specific back in forth in the bidding mechanic, and has complex mechanical conflicts that persist over an extended period. It does not do play by post well, though it is better than Burning Wheel and it's ilk. Minimal rolls and minimal turn order are both recommended.

UserClone
2011-11-26, 09:26 AM
So maybe Apocalypse World/Dungeon World? Their descriptive/prescriptive formula might do well...

Knaight
2011-11-26, 09:39 AM
So maybe Apocalypse World/Dungeon World? Their descriptive/prescriptive formula might do well...

Those could work. I'd probably gravitate towards Risus or Wushu at the lighter end (or Titled, which is one of my few homebrews I'm willing to share with the world), with Fudge or Fate in the middle, but AW and DW could work.

Totally Guy
2011-11-26, 11:16 AM
I think Inspectres and Lacuna would work well.

I have run 1 Inspectres mission on these forums and it was cool.

UserClone
2011-11-26, 11:38 AM
I'll tell you again, Glug: If you pitch it, I will play. I will soon own the dead tree version of both of those games, and I already own the pdf of inspectres.

Arbane
2011-11-28, 02:48 AM
De Profundis was specifically created for PbM games - it's a freeform game of sending letters to your friends, which will eventually tell the tale of your character's contact with the Cthulhu Mythos and subsequent ruin. It's intended for snail-mail, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work with email.

UserClone
2011-11-28, 05:44 AM
Hm...where would I go about getting a copy of De Profundis?

suhkkaet
2011-11-28, 07:37 AM
This is not a system as such, but I had great success a couple (5+) years back (before hearing about D&D etc.) with something that basically lets the "player" decide everything.
There's no need (as such) for a DM. Each player describes what she does, what happens etc. etc., however if the action directly involves another player's character, the other player decides.
Such as;
Player a's post: (charname) fires an arrow at (player b's char)
Player b's post: (charname) tries to dodge the arrow, but ends up with an arrow in his left hind leg, he winces, trying hard to look unaffected by the pain.

Something like that.
Of course, one could incorporate a DM in this, and have the DM decide what happens.
Such as, after player a's post, the DM writes (either in the thread, or by PM to player b) whether or not the arrow hits.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 08:22 AM
Thats called freeform. It also generally ends up accumulating a lot of rules in practice, as otherwise whoever mary sue's the most wins.

Arbane
2011-11-28, 02:26 PM
Hm...where would I go about getting a copy of De Profundis?

Unfortunately, I think it's out of print. eBay, maybe?

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-28, 05:11 PM
Thats called freeform. It also generally ends up accumulating a lot of rules in practice, as otherwise whoever mary sue (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue)'s the most wins.

Link inserted retroactively. :smallbiggrin: