PDA

View Full Version : I need help with an NPC's motivation

Muz
2011-11-26, 04:37 PM
So I have an idea for a little side-quest that involves the players (elves) being asked to look into the issue of a fellow elf who's moved into a human town and is offering to forge elven chain for anyone who can pay (rather than keeping it a guarded elven secret). Elven leadership is concerned about this, so the PCs will be tasked with trying to dissuade him from this.

My problem? I'm not yet sure of why the elf is doing this. Any ideas on possible motivation that would help me roleplay the character properly when the PCs find him?

pffh
2011-11-26, 04:39 PM
Knowledge should be shared for the betterment of all.

Muz
2011-11-26, 04:53 PM
Knowledge should be shared for the betterment of all.

Yes, but what brought him to this attitude? Especially against the prevailing elven attitude (at least in his culture) that such secrets could be turned against the elven people by the more unpredictable human types?

pffh
2011-11-26, 05:00 PM
Yes, but what brought him to this attitude? Especially against the prevailing elven attitude (at least in his culture) that such secrets could be turned against the elven people by the more unpredictable human types?

He adventured for some time with a priest/monk/cleric/paladin/crusader/general holy warrior of a god of knowledge who had rescued him from *insert dangerous beast*. During their adventures they eventually became best friends (or more) but *insert stuff* killed him so in respect for the memory of his fallen friend (or lover) he now shares what he knows with whomever is willing to learn.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-26, 05:01 PM
He needs the income: elves would dominate the market in elven lands so he's seeking a market else where giving him a huge advantage.

prufock
2011-11-26, 05:11 PM
He needs the income: elves would dominate the market in elven lands so he's seeking a market else where giving him a huge advantage.

The simplest explanation is often the best. Really, he needs no other driving motivation than simple want of earthly things. Maybe he just wants to make a lot of money to provide a great life for his family, to buy a fancy mansion, to save enough to retire so he can travel the world and not have to work for the rest of his life, etc.

DrBurr
2011-11-26, 07:00 PM
The simplest explanation is often the best. Really, he needs no other driving motivation than simple want of earthly things. Maybe he just wants to make a lot of money to provide a great life for his family, to buy a fancy mansion, to save enough to retire so he can travel the world and not have to work for the rest of his life, etc.

Agreed, make the elf just want money, if greedy elves is to simplistic or seems weird, make him an Elf raised Half-Elf

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-27, 01:51 AM
He could simply not see the benefit to keeping it secret? Perhaps he does not recognise the authority of the Elven Leadership?

He could be fiercely independant and strongly resent the Elven Leaderships attempt to dictate what he can and cannot make for whom. So, rather than simply offer it if asked, he's advertising it publically as a gesture of defiance.

deuxhero
2011-11-27, 11:29 PM
^ Yeah, it's not really THAT good an armor.

Ashtar
2011-11-28, 05:53 AM
He and a dwarven smith got into an argument about who is the best smith in all the land. They are both feverishly working on their respective racial armours and need as many orders as they can get to perfect their art for the final contest. He needs the money to pay for the raw materials, mithral ain't cheap.

I mean, he can't lose to a DWARF!

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 10:58 AM
So I have an idea for a little side-quest that involves the players (elves) being asked to look into the issue of a fellow elf who's moved into a human town and is offering to forge elven chain for anyone who can pay (rather than keeping it a guarded elven secret). Elven leadership is concerned about this, so the PCs will be tasked with trying to dissuade him from this.

My problem? I'm not yet sure of why the elf is doing this. Any ideas on possible motivation that would help me roleplay the character properly when the PCs find him?

Possible motivations.

Money. Always an easy one for the PCs to understand.

Pride. Some people like to see their work out there, used and recognized by all. This could even be elven pride or what have you.

Altruism. People out there need this, and might die without it.

Guilt. See above, but it already happened.

Knaight
2011-11-28, 11:05 AM

I would probably add a reason he needs the income. Say, his wife or husband is permanently damaged, and he is trying to pay to help her or him. Moreover, the smith blames elven culture for allowing this to happen, and has deliberately left it, and doesn't really care what damage he might inadvertently cause by releasing its secrets.

FeetUpsideDown
2011-11-28, 11:14 AM
He's doing it because he needs to raise the ransom necessary to free beloved wife/daughter/child/ferret <insert name here> from evil minor NPC Baron McAwful who is tied to your campaign story somehow (or not).

<insert name here> could have something that Baron McAwful wants, or something that his plans require, or could just be beautiful enough that he has kidnapped her to persuade her to marry him, or... whatever.

This gives you two routes to send the PCs down - gain the money, or effect daring rescue. Or both.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-28, 11:25 AM
...Because he's not teaching people how to make it. He's simply making it on order?

Jay R
2011-11-28, 11:45 AM
Clearly, he's trying to make money. But why this way? Because he has no competition. He doesn't want the other elves to start making elven chain for non-elves. If that happened, he'd lose his monopoly.

PC: Elves don't make chain for humans.
Elf: Yes, I know. That's why the demand is so high.
PC: But we don't want any elves doing it.
Elf: I agree - the other elves shouldn't do this. I don't want the competition.

Muz
2011-11-29, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've decided to go with him saying, when first asked, that he's doing it because such knowledge should not be hoarded. His true motivation, however, IS to make a profit thanks to the greatly increased market for it in human lands. He doesn't want the profit for profit's sake, though. He needs the coin to buy his way out of a deal he made with some dark force that he's ashamed of having contacted (though I'm not sure yet the nature of this dark force) in order to save his daughter's life from...well, either she was outright already killed (so he had her brought back) or being ravaged by some horrible disease that the priests couldn't cure. Now he's got a certain amount of time to raise the coin or he'll pay with either his life, his daughter's life, both their lives, etc. (Still pondering that one, too.) :smallsmile:

Now I just need to figure out THOSE details. :smallwink:

Toofey
2011-12-01, 02:37 AM
A central axis of conflict in my background game world is between the elves who want to leave the human lands and the elves who want to remain engaged with the rest of the world. It could be a political statement about how instead of running away the elves should be making the humans more like them.

also elves are Whimsical, maybe he just likes humans, and likes making armor.

ILM
2011-12-01, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've decided to go with him saying, when first asked, that he's doing it because such knowledge should not be hoarded. His true motivation, however, IS to make a profit thanks to the greatly increased market for it in human lands. He doesn't want the profit for profit's sake, though. He needs the coin to buy his way out of a deal he made with some dark force that he's ashamed of having contacted (though I'm not sure yet the nature of this dark force) in order to save his daughter's life from...well, either she was outright already killed (so he had her brought back) or being ravaged by some horrible disease that the priests couldn't cure. Now he's got a certain amount of time to raise the coin or he'll pay with either his life, his daughter's life, both their lives, etc. (Still pondering that one, too.) :smallsmile:

Now I just need to figure out THOSE details. :smallwink:
Instead of a dark force, make it some kind of thug's guild? It's easier to wing in session, less of a big deal, and the PCs can slaughter them all if they want to :smallbiggrin:. Say for instance, she died in tragic circumstances and he borrowed a pile of cash from a loan shark with a crazy interest rate, in order to bribe his way into and pay for a True Resurrection from one of the top priests of whatever nearby metropolis? And now the enforcers are all up his business and threatening to return her to her previous state unless he pay through the nose?