PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use 3D models along side miniatures?

killem2
2011-11-26, 07:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used with success 3D models, say similar to what you would use in warhammer, or any of those "fold-cut-pop-up" types of things you can print out on to card stock.

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-26, 08:44 PM
We use a variety of different props in our games. Some are made of paper, some are molded plastic, paper mache, or whatever else we can get our hands on. We've even had one person who made props out of lego technics pieces with working doors and secret panels!

Of course, most of the time we just draw on a grid map using washable markers.

kudosmog
2011-11-28, 11:24 AM
I've used them often. Players really seem to enjoy it. I always enjoyed it when I was in a campaign with them.
Trees and shrubbery mostly, but also buildings, walls etc. Some were paper, most were plastic.
Especially helpful in describing why you can't shoot X player, cast a spell on X player etc due to them not being in your LOS.

missmvicious
2011-11-28, 01:35 PM
Models are great for getting into the story. I wish I had the money for higher quality models like the Warhammer stuff.

But one of the things that has worked out for me is to go to the Wizards site, print out some of the paper fold-up minis they provide, and then create a flat, 2-D map of each floor.

For instance, say you have a tavern with the restaurant/bar on the first floor and two floors of rentable rooms.

Once the players enter the tavern, remove the fold-up 3-D and replace it with a flat map of the internal of the tavern. If you can add mini chairs, tables etc (you can pick these up in any craft store in the dollhouse section) that's even better because that will still give it the 3-D feel that you're trying to go for and a stair tile for access to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th floor and so on. Lather, rinse, repeat for each floor. You can even create a flat roof floor if your doing an Assassin's Creed style city campaign where PC may want to balance, hide, dual, spy, or just jump from roofs. It could happen. Hasn't happened in one of my campaigns, but it could happen. :smallwink:

If you can't afford mini dollhouse stuff, then matchboxes make great beds for the bedrooms, and the matchsticks (with a little glue) can be cut to make halfway decent chairs and benches.

Allanimal
2011-11-28, 01:43 PM
We have our grid under a clear plastic sheet and write on it with dry erase markers. In Addition, we will use props, such as trees from model train stores , stuck down with poster tack. My wife once even made a paper mâché ziggurat, which really enhanced the feeling of the battle.

I have used the print n card stock and cut out, glue together things. They are nice, but take a lot of time to put together well. Also, I have found that the buildings are a bit too small... But they do enhance the gameplay a lot.