PDA

View Full Version : (GURPS)Necromancer- Zombie Spell?

Madara
2011-11-26, 08:35 PM
Making a temporary move in my group from dnd 3.5 to GURPS 4th Ed. I was originally thinking of building a necromancer using allies and modifications. After looking into the magic( Which I am hesitant about Silly Prereqs) I noticed the Zombie spell. Am I mad or is that crazy overpowered? The raised dead keep their physical advantages! It doesn't mention paying for them as allies or anything... I assume that a GM would probably make you pay for them, but as written?

beyond reality
2011-11-27, 02:11 AM
Keep in mind that even if you did have to take the Zombie as an Ally that's only 4 points at most. The Zombie Template is massively negative (-160 or so I believe) so just about any zombie is going to have a point total below zero. I would assume you don't have to pay for them though. They've got no story protection or inherent value and are often created simply to be killed off at some point.

Overall it's a context thing. With things like zombies and undead most games (GURPS included) will assume that the players are generally not going to be using these spells as often or effectively as their opponents. In settings where there is no stigma attached to animating the dead then it might be too powerful but in the vast majority of games it's not like players can just walk around with dozens of zombie buddies in tow.

Connington
2011-11-27, 02:16 AM
If you don't pay points for it, it's equipment. The de facto GURPS assumption is that equipment gets lost, stolen, or destroyed somewhat frequently.

dagothdoom
2015-03-17, 09:49 PM
Having a zombie counts against your amount of spells. If you have 3 zombies, you are at -3 to all spells.

mikeejimbo
2015-03-18, 09:27 AM
As others have said, if you take them as Allies then they have something like plot protection. You might also look into Ally Group, since you can have an entourage of 10 zombies for 24 points. As a GM I personally allow "topping off" the zombie supply when there's downtime so that they can be treated as somewhat expendable, but this is by no means a hard and fast rule.

Edit: Also, you are not alone in your dislike of the base magic system. That's practically why the GURPS Thaumatology book even exists.