PDA

View Full Version : Stumped about water elementals, take 2.

Fallen Angel
2011-11-26, 10:53 PM
So i'm designing a series of 'elementals' that are based off one of the five magical 'fields' of study in my verse, and I need to design the Water Elementals, who by process of elimination have material/matter related powers.[1]

I do not want to do the typical 'humanoids who can resist great pressures', unless it's very fluffy. That said, I'm coming up blank as to how to do water elementals. Yes I am looking for help with the concept.

This is for a private setting I'm working on, and not for a RPG system. They are meant to be a 'race' of their own. (Although they are heavily modified humans, the technology behind this modifications is 'sufficently advanced' I can have them be completely different from normal humanoids.)

Any ideas?

[1]: in my verse, the five catagories of magicla power are Destruction, Creation, Mental, Material, Movement. Air Elementals are movement. Fire Elementals are destruction. Earth Elementals are creation. A group known as 'Human Paragons' have mentalist powers. Thus, Water Elementals have Matter/Material based powers.

Wyntonian
2011-11-26, 10:57 PM
First, frame the question. Are you trying to make these elementals as a race or monster? Either way, what version of D&D are you using? If you're using 3.5, here's what the monsters are like. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#waterElemental) If not D&D, what system. Finally, are you looking for help statting these up, or just doing concept work?

Fallen Angel
2011-11-26, 11:03 PM
First, frame the question. Are you trying to make these elementals as a race or monster? Either way, what version of D&D are you using? If you're using 3.5, here's what the monsters are like. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#waterElemental) If not D&D, what system. Finally, are you looking for help statting these up, or just doing concept work?

Like I said, it's a private story setting. Completely unrelated to any RPG system.

Second/Third, I'm doing concept work, considering they are wa 'race' all unto themselves.

Jarrick
2011-11-28, 08:46 PM
As far as concept goes, I understand that water is one of very few substances that is commonly found in all 3 states of matter on the earth's surface (solid, liquid, gas). Maybe their connection to this versatile substance gives them special insights when dealing with matter, so they are really good at changing things from thing to another (And maybe can do so to themselves as well, though good luck balancing that.)

jiriku
2011-11-29, 12:27 AM
Ability to morph own tissues to assume solid, liquid, or gaseous states? This would imply the ability to fly by growing gas-filled bladders, resist blows by hardening tissues, hibernate for long periods of time, function at extremely cold temperatures by maintaining fluid transfer when other life forms would freeze solid, and possibly more.

Jarrick
2011-11-29, 02:32 AM
Ability to morph own tissues to assume solid, liquid, or gaseous states? This would imply the ability to fly by growing gas-filled bladders, resist blows by hardening tissues, hibernate for long periods of time, function at extremely cold temperatures by maintaining fluid transfer when other life forms would freeze solid, and possibly more.

So in other words, Transmutation spells :smallbiggrin: