PDA

View Full Version : Voor + Orc = Voorc! (New Race, with picture!)

Iorthol
2011-11-27, 12:36 AM
Howdy, I just ran a fun idea through the pathfinder race builder playtest and I came up with a pretty interesting character.

Voorc
Ages ago, curious and intelligent sorcerers thought it a good idea to blend the lashing wrangling savagry of a Voor, with orcs. They succeeded, and were quickly dispatched by their own creations. Since then, the Voorc race has populated amongst itself and has grown to become a legitimate standalone race.
Personality: Voorcs are aggressive and short tempered like their orc cousins, but are also more tactful and cunning, due to their average intelligence.
Physical Description: Voorcs stand as tall as their orc cousins, roughly 6 to 7 feet, and weigh between 190 and 290lbs. They have the same skin colors as orcs, ranging from a greenish tint to a slate green color, to dark brown and red. Voorcs have no hair, nor do they have eyes. Voorcs heads are capped and masked in a layer of hide similar to the plating on their chest and shoulders, except this layer is transparent, containing a vast array of optical nerves and sensors, that give Voorcs particularly keen senses, especially vision. Voors also have very strange arms. The forarms are huge exoskeletal structures, covered in their armored hide, and ending in large clawed three fingered hands. These huge arms aren't just clawed however. Each claw on a voorc's hand is secured on the end of a very long tentacle, and the claws can be launched from the hands, alone or all three claws, to attack foes 10 feet away.

Native Outsider [Orc]
+4str, -2dex, -2cha: Voorcs are strong and ugly, and their thick limbs and atypical fingers make them clumsy.
+2nat: Voorcs are covered in thick leathery plates of hide.
Natural Climbers: Climb Speed 20, +8 bonus on climb
Perception +4 (But only for spot checks)
Illusion Resistance: +2 vs Illusions
See in Darkness: Voorcs can see perfectly in all kinds of darkness, including deeper darkness.
Unending Sight: Because of Voorcs strange ocular anatomy, they cannot shield themselves from gaze attacks, but in turn recieve a +10 bonus on perception checks to see invisible objects and creatures.
Natural Attack: 2 claws, 1d6+str, 10 foot reach.
Spiny Tentacles: On a successful claw attack, the voorc can cling to the target with its tentacles, imposing a -2 penalty to AC and preventing the target from moving more than 10 feet from the voorc. A tentacle can be removed by the target or an adjacent ally by making an opposed strength check, or dealing 5 points of damage to the tentacle, AC 13. The voorc can pull the target 5 feet as a swift action. The voorc can have tentacles attached to up to 2 targets, but the voorc cannot attack with or use the hand attached to the tentacles on the stuck foe. The voorc gets a +2 bonus on grappling a foe it has tentacles attached to.
+1 LA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/hippy263/VoorcSmall.jpg
(Trace job from these two images *Dodges copyright* http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm4_gallery/98738.jpg, http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5200/orcostc8.png)

So yeah, I just wanted to show off my new creation, and hopefully inspire some people into being one of these fancy fellows~

Please reply with any comments or questions.

bobthe6th
2011-11-27, 01:22 AM
well... this would be an odd game in which I would play this. though a monk could be fun...

it should probably be one claw, as short of monkey grip shenanigans you shouldn't hand out two reach weapons...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 01:09 PM
it should probably be one claw, as short of monkey grip shenanigans you shouldn't hand out two reach weapons...

Kusari-gamas. Spinning swords. Whip-daggers. Small-sized reach weapons.

EdroGrimshell
2011-11-28, 01:53 PM
Kusari-gamas. Spinning swords. Whip-daggers. Small-sized reach weapons.

which require exotic weapon proficiency to use

radmelon
2011-11-28, 02:14 PM
Now that is badass.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 02:16 PM
which require exotic weapon proficiency to use

Small-sized reach weapons require EWP? I know you take a -2 to attack, but that's not that much on a full BAB class...

bobthe6th
2011-11-28, 04:33 PM
wait, using a spear the size of gnome gives you reach?:smallconfused:

Iorthol
2011-11-28, 04:51 PM
I'm using my thread as a stat block thumb drive!

Super Human
Humanoid [Human]
Move Speed 30
Super Humans get +2 racial bonus to two ability scores.
Men of Legend : Super Humans get an additional +2 racial bonus to two ability scores, these may stack with the normal superhuman racial bonus.
Bonus Feat : Super Humans begin with an additional bonus feat.
Skilled : Super Humans get an additional skill point at each level.
Laguages : Common and one any, then gain additional languages equal to their intelligence bonus.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 05:06 PM
wait, using a spear the size of gnome gives you reach?:smallconfused:

Yep. It gives the gnome reach also, so it's going to be longer than 3 feet, more like 5.

The weapon size rules also say nothing about that 30 ft long longspear you picked up from the titan giving you reach beyond a reach weapon of your size. So it doesn't give longer reach than 10 feet.

bobthe6th
2011-11-28, 06:38 PM
well thats very cheesy at best, and blows a rather large hole in any attempt at realism. the whip though is true...

but as a +1 la race? +2 nat, darkvision, and a two reach attacks with special abilities? seems to need a bit more...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 06:56 PM
well thats very cheesy at best, and blows a rather large hole in any attempt at realism.

*gets out the machine gun*

*shoots down one catgirl*

Veklim
2011-11-30, 11:19 AM
Perhaps nerf the Spiny Tentacles ability slightly to only allow one target at a time, and require both hands? That way it's still a funky/flavourful ability, but one which doesn't OP too much for a +1 LA. That said you're still getting heightened senses, pluses vs illusions/invisibility, a natural climb speed and natural weapons.....it's shaky even with the nerf.

Iorthol
2011-12-08, 07:17 PM
Oh ho! But you see, in the eyes of the Pathfinder Advanced Races Guide, it is not OP at all, it is infact, balanced.
And don't forget, they give up an attack every round just to keep up a -2ac penalty on the opponent, and wrangling two adversaries renders you unable to attack anymore, while they still can.

Veklim
2011-12-08, 08:08 PM
There wasn't a version I noticed so I was looking from a 3.5 view. I'm not so up on Pathfinder since I never really looked too much into it. From what I can tell it's an unofficial 3.75 where everything makes a bit more sense, but don't have the book/s so couldn't comment!

As far as I can remember by 3.5, you can have up to 4 creatures in a single grapple, which I think allows you to actually tie down 3 by RAW (legs maybe...?), but I'm not entirely certain on that one so don't quote me.