PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Help me build a character that is only mostly useless.

darthnny
2011-11-27, 11:00 AM
Hello builders,

I have a challenge for you. I want to play a very “form-centric” character but would like him as close to function as possible. I understand that my decisions may not allow for an optimized character but I would like your advice on where to go with it.

So the concept/details:

I am looking to play a swashbuckler\sailor who is a devout worshiper of the goddess of luck. He is a traveler, poet, swordsman and he needs to have a ton of languages. Also he has an int of 7 because he wears a hat of stupidity. However do not let the 7 in limit feats. I envision him as a single light weapon, light armor duelist. I have considered all sorts of builds, straight fighters, bards, and witches all have nice pieces of the whole but not quite what I am looking for so I was wondering what you all have.

We are starting the campaign at 5th level.

Here are our build guidelines

Books:
• Core Rulebook
• Advanced Players Guide
• Ultimate Magic
• Ultimate Combat
• The Inner Sea World Guide

Races:
I would like to limit them to the core races in the Core Rulebook. No monster
or templates allowed.

Classes:
Limited to the books listed above. You can use Core, Base, and Archetypes
following all of the standard rules.

Ability Scores:
We will use the point buy system with Epic Fantasy campaign type so you will
have 25 points to buy abilities. (Following all other rules)

Thank you in advance.

Nny

RndmNumGen
2011-11-27, 12:16 PM
Would something like this work?

Halfling Bard 3/Rogue(Swashbuckler) 2

8 Str
20 Dex
12 Con
7 INT
10 Wis
18 Cha

Skill Ranks:
Bard: Linguistics 3, Acrobatics 3, Perform(Poetry) 3, Spellcraft 3
Rogue: Linguistics 2, Climb 2, Diplomacy 2, Disable Device 2, Escape Artist 1, Stealth 1, Swim 1, UMD 1

Feats:
Combat Reflexes(1)
Step-Up(3)
Weapon Finesse('Finesse Rogue' Talent)
Dervish Dancer(5)

Everything comes from the Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide, with the exception of the Dervish Dancer feat; that comes from the Inner Sea World Guide(Pathfinder's Campaign Setting). I would ask your DM if that is allowed, since it's a very reasonable request, but if it isn't just replace it with Arcane Strike(or another feat of your choice).

Anyway, your ranks in the Linguistics skill will have you start the game speaking Halfling, Common, and 5 other languages of your choice, despite the low INT. Preform(Poetry) lets you use Inspire Courage while you're fighting in combat. No shield or two-weapon fighting, just your trusty scimitar, which you can get proficiency in thanks to Swashbuckler(If you don't take Dervish Dancer, use a rapier instead so you get the benefits of Weapon Finesse).

Acrobatics and the Step-Up feat will let you bounce around the battlefield a lot, being exceptionally agile. I would recommend purchasing a Mithril Chain Shirt to get the full advantage your DEX gives to your AC, and you can easily pick up a ranged weapon of your choice(Bow, Crossbow or Sling) and use it well.

For further progression, you've got +1d6 Sneak Attack damage on your attacks when flanking so you might want to grab the Following Step feat when you have a chance. I would take 1 more bard level for 2nd-level spells, then continue leveling up Swashbuckler Rogue as that will let you max out your agile fighter abilities and continue advancing Sneak Attack, while still being able to put full ranks in Linguistics and Perform(Poetry).

darthnny
2011-11-27, 12:49 PM
Awesome, thank you! This gives me some great ideas.

Nny