PDA

View Full Version : How to gain immunities?

January
2011-11-27, 03:46 PM
My question is how to gain immunitys to;
Immunities:
Petrification
Death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, negative energy
Endure Elements
Grapple, paralysis, magical movement impediment
Penalties for underwater fighting
Poison
Sleep
Stunning
Critical hits
Fire, Acid, Electricity, Cold, and Sonic
Fear
Blasphemy, Dictum, Word of Chaos, Word of Balance, Stone to Flesh, Dimensional Lock
Rust attacks
Harmful vapors and gasses, vacuum (Necklace of Adaptation)
Metal
Ranged touch attacks
Fatigue, exhaustion, ability damage, ability drain
Thrown and projectile ranged attacks
Wind
Difficult terrain
Disease
Mind-affecting (does not suppress precast buffs)
Blindness, deafness, drowning
No physiology or respiration
Damage from temperature and pressure of deep water
Dessication damage (first 100 points)

Flickerdart
2011-11-27, 03:51 PM
Soulfire armor will protect you from a good chunk of that. Mind Blank and freedom of movement hit a few others, and Shapechange most of the rest.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-27, 03:56 PM
Any particular reason why you'd need to be totally immune to all of these things, rather than just mitigating most of it?

As a side note, there are spells for immunity to all of those things.

Douglas
2011-11-27, 03:58 PM
That looks like a copy and paste of the immunities from my Team Solars. If you scroll down in that thread to the "The bonuses and what buffs they come from" section and open the spoiler block, there are parenthetical notes beside each one that name the spell (or spells) that provide it.

Randomguy
2011-11-27, 04:26 PM
I don't think it's possible to gain immunity to endure elements. Unless you mean immunity from being affected by the elements, in which case the answer is endure elements.

Ray deflection gets you immunity to all ranged touch attacks.

Persistent telekinetic sphere via incantrix or DMM persist from an archivist gets you immunity to almost everything.

The elemental immunity spell gets you immunity to all elements, but requires multiple castings.

Being able to cast control winds makes you immune to winds (since you can cancel them out) and all thrown and projectile weapons.

Greater ironguard makes you immune to metal.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-27, 04:40 PM
Greater ironguard makes you immune to metal.

Great until you realize you sacrifice a lot of equipment. Sucks when Metallurgy and metal working are popular ways of making equipment in the world.

Randomguy
2011-11-27, 08:10 PM
Great until you realize you sacrifice a lot of equipment. Sucks when Metallurgy and metal working are popular ways of making equipment in the world.

That's true, but if you're a wizard capable of casting greater ironguard, you probably won't be carrying much metal equipment. And by the time you can afford a magic item that casts greater ironguard, you can afford to have some of your stuff made out of ironwood.

Venger
2011-11-28, 02:21 AM
My question is how to gain immunitys to;
Immunities:
Petrification
Endure Elements
Poison
Sleep
Stunning
Critical hits
Fire, Acid, Electricity, Cold, and Sonic
Fear
Blasphemy, Dictum, Word of Chaos, Word of Balance, Stone to Flesh, Dimensional Lock
Rust attacks
Harmful vapors and gasses, vacuum (Necklace of Adaptation)
Metal
Ranged touch attacks
Wind
Difficult terrain
Disease
Mind-affecting (does not suppress precast buffs)
No physiology or respiration
Dessication damage (first 100 points)
becoming undead will take care of most of that. here's a breakdown for everything else with explanations where necessary

Become Undead: (necropolitan, lich, walker in the wastes, etc)
Petrification
Endure Elements (I assume you meant stuff like heat, cold, undead are immune to this)
Poison
Sleep
Stunning
Critical hits
Fear
Disease
Mind-affecting (does not suppress precast buffs) (this is not possible. there are very few buffs that are mind affecting, but all of those are morale effects, things like good hope which undead are immune to and cannot enjoy. this won't ever make a difference though, so it's not worth crying about even if your dead tear ducts could produce moisture)
No physiology or respiration(while not exactly real game terms, undead do have "no discernable anatomy" which is I think what you were getting at, rendering them immune to flanking, SA, and crits, and they don't breathe either, so this covers you)
Dessication damage (first 100 points) (what's up with "first 100 points" ? what does that mean?)

Item of Freedom of Movement: (ring is ungodly expensive.(40k) go with the "periapt of the sullen sea" for 6k from MiC instead to get FoM usable 2/day (burn a 4th lvl slot. also lets you hold your breath for 12 hours before making con checks, which is situational, but very useful)

Difficult terrain

Dimensional Lock (not sure if FoM goes around this. I suspect not since DL's a higher lvl spell, but thematically it makes sense. honestly, just move 20 feet and try again. this spell's on a point in space, not a creature, so it's hardly unavoidable. if you're high enough lvl your enemies are throwing 8ths at you, you're high enough lvl to have more than 1 teleport prepared.

Harmful vapors and gasses, vacuum (Necklace of Adaptation)(you seem to have tried an item already. use the periapt of the sullen sea instead. it's 6k instead of 9k and you can hold your breath for 12 hours (when was the last time a combat lasted that long?) and you get freedom of movement too)

Acid-born template (dungeonscape, must have aquatic creature subtype, LA +1) this is expensive, relatively speaking (LA-wise) but if you're making the good old unkillable character (trollblooded, acid-born aquatic human elemental savant:fire or some variant thereof) this is a must. also lets your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 acid damage. useless in combat, but very good for eating through solid objects like doors since acid damage ignores hardness. if you're in an aquatic game (which the rulebooks seem to think are very common) then fine, otherwise just apply the amphibious template from stormwrack (does exactly what you think and is LA +0 so you don't care) so you can breathe air and walk on land at the expense of having your party make little mermaid jokes forever

Acid

Go Lich (liches are immune to electricity and cold for some reason)
Electricity
Cold

Elemental Savant: Fire 10 (this is a very labour-intensive way of doing it, but it's very hard to become entirely fire immune in this game without getting the fire subtype, but the only things with that are demons, devils, and elementals, and I won't pretend your DM will let you play as any of those. capstone is immunity to your chosen energy type

Fire

blindness/Deafness (a wand since your DM won't bother sonicing you 50 times after you pull this trick. sonic effects need you to be able to hear, so become deaf and you can't get hurt. silence is more commonly suggested, but enemies get a save if you cast it either on them or in their area. you can fail a save intentionally, so that's that. if you've got a divine person, have them restore you, otherwise just have a wand of remove blindness/deafness)

Sonic

Blasphemy, Dictum, Word of Chaos, Word of Balance, ,(these spells are sonic, so if you can't hear it, you're ok. the part about not needing to hear it is only for the banishment addendum which shouldn't come up too frequently and even if it does, all that you've really done is get your enemy to send you away from a tough fight. awesome?)

Don't be made of a ferrous/stone material (I am confused as to why this, petrification, and stone to flesh are all on this list. what the hell is your character made of?)

Stone to Flesh
Rust attacks

Metal (what do you mean by "immune to metal" ? as mentioned, lesser and regular ironguard (can't find a greater ironguard. I assume you were referring to regular ironguard) let you pass through metal. were you asking about a fey becoming immune to its normal cold iron restriction or something like that?)

Ray Deflection (a spell, previously mentioned)

Ranged touch attacks

Wind Wall (spell. built for this exact purpose and the bane of throwers and archers everywhere)

Wind (Immune to wind in what way? I don't know what this means)

Myth
2011-11-28, 07:17 AM
There was a "immune to everything" cleric/bone knight build floating around. Anyone have a link? I think that's what OP is looking for.

Other than that, becoming a DR1 deity wtih Alter Reality will grant you most of these immunities, and what it doesn't grant you make permanent with Alter Reality.

January
2011-11-28, 10:58 AM
There was a "immune to everything" cleric/bone knight build floating around. Anyone have a link? I think that's what OP is looking for.

Other than that, becoming a DR1 deity wtih Alter Reality will grant you most of these immunities, and what it doesn't grant you make permanent with Alter Reality.
Wow, there was? And Yes it was from "Team Solar" I was wanting to know how you gained all of these? and why? that pretty much takes the fun out of playing.
-January

Venger
2011-11-28, 11:40 AM
Wow, there was? And Yes it was from "Team Solar" I was wanting to know how you gained all of these? and why? that pretty much takes the fun out of playing.
-January

there's a couple of different ways to do it. as long as you qualify for bone knight somehow, you're immune to almost all the stuff on your list through undead immunities

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5517.0

it's TO, it's not meant to actually be used in a game, it's like the twice-betrayer of sha'ar (which I think might've been a bone knight) or pun-pun

Douglas
2011-11-28, 01:11 PM
-January
For how, I already pointed you to the section that notes the spells.

Why? Because the party was built for a game that was advertised as an "Extraordinarily dangerous dungeon crawl. Bring your powergaming.", and two previous total party kills in that game had demonstrated that something along those lines really was necessary. I may have taken it farther than I had to (in fact I think I did), but I figured overkill was better than dying again to something I could have prevented.

To give some idea of what this game was like, here's what one group faced on first entering the dungeon: the party is teleported to a location that is underwater - need water breathing to not drown and Freedom of Movement to not get major penalties; the water is boiling hot - need fire resist/immunity to not take constant fire damage; the water is extremely high pressure, equivalent to several miles deep - fort saves with escalating DC to not get crushed; the water is filled with ink - need nonvisual senses to "see" anything; there is a kraken-like monster above the party with about a dozen attacks for 50+ damage each and really high attack bonuses that is not inconvenienced by the environment; there is a blade barrier below the party; there is a sphere of annihilation below the blade barrier; the chamber has adamantine walls in all directions; outside the walls is a desert with one of the nastier supernatural varieties of sandstorms from the Sandstorm splatbook; the exit, which the party needs to find, is a portal in the wall below the blade barrier but above the sphere of annihilation.