PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Rebuild Yourself as a Level 20 Gestalt...

Pages : 1 [2]

Rubik
2011-12-02, 11:22 PM
Forgive me if I missed a post, but has any one else come forward about running it?Considering the sheer number of people that want to play, I'm pretty sure that's not an issue.

[edit] For everyone (DMs and players) who want in, PLEASE make sure you actually will post frequently. Otherwise, nothing happens and the game stalls and dies, and that's no fun for anyone.

Chess435
2011-12-03, 11:04 AM
I'm sure that the 10d6 extra damage will totally be noticable within the thousands of damage the nuke alone will deal. :smalltongue:

Remember that you have to be within 30 feet of the target to sneak attack with a ranged weapon. :smallwink:

Rubik
2011-12-03, 11:22 AM
Remember that you have to be within 30 feet of the target to sneak attack with a ranged weapon. :smallwink:Wouldn't a video camera work like the spell Chain of Eyes, so that you could sneak attack from wherever, so long as you were directing the projectile directly?

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-03, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't a video camera work like the spell Chain of Eyes, so that you could sneak attack from wherever, so long as you were directing the projectile directly?
Wouldn't it be useless anyway as you are essentially hitting everywhere already.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't it be useless anyway as you are essentially hitting everywhere already.Epic splash damage, huh?

Jack_Simth
2011-12-03, 02:21 PM
Epic splash damage, huh?
... what would you call a Nuke? In recorded history, the only two that were used directly in war demolished entire cities in an instant - seriously (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project#Bombings):

An area of approximately 4.7 square miles (12 km2) was destroyed. Japanese officials determined that 69% of Hiroshima's buildings were destroyed and another 6–7% damaged.
Energy deposited on a surface falls off with the square of the distance, and that thing was destroying buildings over a mile from the blast center.

Seriously: A direct hit by one of those, by all rights, should reduce the Tarrasque to the point where it will starve to death before it's regeneration negates the damage ... and the yields have gotten higher (by a lot) since those first three nukes were built.

Sure, a Pit Fiend will, eventually, get back up (assuming the radiation isn't effectively ability drain, or Con damage), but ... ah ... it'll be a while, and it won't want to go through that again.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-03, 02:30 PM
Hmm. I could do my entire build without house rules.

Sage Sorcerer/Mindbender//Archaeologist/Pathfinder Savant/Wyrm Wizard

Hawk7915
2011-12-03, 03:57 PM
The class thing would be a tough call; do I take a build that would make me all that I am not now (some high strength, high con superman, or a high charisma singer/dancer/chef?), or something capable of saving the world single-handedly (like a lot of the power-gamey builds posted so far). The best of all possible worlds is probably Factotum/Archivist (mentioned on page one); full divine caster, a splash of arcane casting in a pinch, and the ability to go all Chuck and "flash" whenever I want to be good at whatever I want.

Far more interesting to me is the fact that we get standard WBL for a 20th level character. The right magic items would not only demolish our world's economy and be utterly awesome, they'd allow me to "share the love" with friends and family. In the mundane, modern world, a guy with a +3 longsword and a +5 Amulet of Natural armor or a +6 Belt of Magnificence or a Ring of Telekinesis is practically a superhero in their own right. That just highlights the importance of being a caster class; you can slowly but surely churn out said magic items, and loyalty should be no problem with even minimal diploma-cheese. Even better, of course, would be to keep a ton of the gold and then convert it for several million dollars :smallbiggrin:.

Jack_Simth
2011-12-03, 04:20 PM
Even better, of course, would be to keep a ton of the gold and then convert it for several million dollars :smallbiggrin:.
No, don't bother. Really, don't.

There's so many ways to make obscene amounts of cash at the levels we're talking about that it's not even funny.

A Divine caster with Cure Disease (or Heal, or Mass Heal, or Heroes Feast), and Regenerate can pretty much name a price - 100% success rate on curing currently incurable diseases. and regrow people's lost limbs.

For the Arcane caster, Polymorph Any Object can make enormous amounts of materials, that'll stick around forever (take a penny, turn it into a 2,000 cubic foot cube of iron - same kingdom (minerals), same class (metals), and same or lower Int (of "-") gives the +9 Duration Factor, so it'll only go away in an AMF, or if it's dispelled; otherwise, it's quite permanent.

If you feel like getting into energy production, Wall of Fire (circle, pointed inwards, for safety) + Permanency is *huge*. When it comes down to it, most power plants are essentially steam engines - and you just handed the engineers a source of heat that won't go out, won't get out of control, produces no dangerous byproducts, requires no fuel, and can be placed anywhere.

There's a number of spells that let you trade XP for money (Wish, most notably, but outside of core there's others, such as True Creation or Genesis), and there's various ways to bypass the XP costs (Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell, Shapechange into a Zodar to get the Supernatural Wish to make something *very* useful, such as a ring of infinite Wishes off of the custom magic item table, planar binding or simulacrums of critters with Wish as a spell-like, and so on). Additionally, there's certain spells (such as Wall of Iron or Fabricate) that make valuable things Instantly for only a small cost... with various ways of bypassing those costs (Miracle(Wall of Iron), for instance)

This is all ignoring various forms of theft - Major Creation can produce gems or precious metals that last long enough to sell (200 / 400 minutes, before Extending, at caster level 20); Invisibility or Greater Teleport lets you make off with basically any item you could want - "Hello Mr. Hope Diamond, yes, you'll like your new home"; Mind control magics mean people give you anything you want; and, of course, there's always brute-force looting and mugging.

You don't sell the gold. You use that to get things that'll be hard to come by in the real world - magic items, primarily, or the supplies for building them.

Weezer
2011-12-03, 04:49 PM
Considering the sheer number of people that want to play, I'm pretty sure that's not an issue.

[edit] For everyone (DMs and players) who want in, PLEASE make sure you actually will post frequently. Otherwise, nothing happens and the game stalls and dies, and that's no fun for anyone.

Actually I'd say it is an issue, it's relatively easy to play a game like this and DMing it is an incredibly hard endeavor that would require a lot of time investment and effort, especially when having to deal with the level of optimization this forum brings forth.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 04:53 PM
Even better, of course, would be to keep a ton of the gold and then convert it for several million dollars :smallbiggrin:.As I said before, you can use magic to make money, literally even. Magic items are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rarer and harder to come by.

Actually I'd say it is an issue, it's relatively easy to play a game like this and DMing it is an incredibly hard endeavor that would require a lot of time investment and effort, especially when having to deal with the level of optimization this forum brings forth.How does that translate into difficulty finding players in a thread where dozens are jumping for a chance?

Weezer
2011-12-03, 05:20 PM
How does that translate into difficulty finding players in a thread where dozens are jumping for a chance?

The person you quoted was worried about finding someone to run (aka DM) the game.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 05:23 PM
The person you quoted was worried about finding someone to run (aka DM) the game.Well, considering his post started with:

If this was a PbP I'd almost be down to GM (it's a lot of commitment that has to be undertaken seriously) because the last game I GMed was on par with this.And ended with:

But Like I said, that's a big undertaking, but my interest is piqued. Forgive me if I missed a post, but has any one else come forward about running it?I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

SirFredgar
2011-12-03, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

Well, what I meant was that I am considering throwing my name into the hat to GM this little project, but still need to think on it. My last bit was me worried I missed someone else volunterring for the duty, as there was a bunch of volunteers for players, but I couldn't find anyone else that said they run the thing.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 05:39 PM
Well, what I meant was that I am considering throwing my name into the hat to GM this little project, but still need to think on it. My last bit was me worried I missed someone else volunterring for the duty, as there was a bunch of volunteers for players, but I couldn't find anyone else that said they run the thing.LordDrake has been considering it, but isn't sure.

And that's what I thought you meant.

Weezer
2011-12-03, 06:04 PM
LordDrake has been considering it, but isn't sure.

And I completely misread it, mea culpa.

Wings of Peace
2011-12-03, 06:26 PM
Does it really matter what we would be as a level 20 gestalt? I mean, unless we choose to cripple ourselves with bad multiclassing and feat choices we're still going to be the strongest thing on our side of the solar system.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 06:38 PM
Does it really matter what we would be as a level 20 gestalt? I mean, unless we choose to cripple ourselves with bad multiclassing and feat choices we're still going to be the strongest thing on our side of the solar system.Sure, but it's interesting to see what people think up for themselves. That, and you'll be the most powerful at first, but there's no telling what will come through eventually.

SirFredgar
2011-12-03, 06:46 PM
Sure, but it's interesting to see what people think up for themselves. That, and you'll be the most powerful at first, but there's no telling what will come through eventually.

Yeah, I agree. And not everyone is being uber-cheezy about it either. Yeah, we have some definite char-op going on, but I see plenty of answers that are simply for-funzies. I myself wouldn't go with the most powerfull build I know, because if I did it'd be something like Human Wizard5/Incantatrix10/Cameleon 2/Splashtotaste3//Artificer 20.

And what people would do afterwards is a nice read too. Some people think they'd continue to be rightous and help the planet, but others of us know the tempation to abuse our nigh-infinite powers would be too great. All in all a good read.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-03, 07:50 PM
And what people would do afterwards is a nice read too. Some people think they'd continue to be rightous and help the planet, but others of us know the tempation to abuse our nigh-infinite powers would be too great. All in all a good read.

Oh, I'd help the planet all right... it's just that most of the planet would prefer I didn't.

thompur
2011-12-03, 08:32 PM
Hey Rubik, if I had Binder 20 on one side, could I teach others how to make pacts?

As to the OP, I'd go Warlock 9/HFW 3, Chameleon 2, Warlock 6/ Binder 20.
I'd definitely use floating feat. AFMB so I haven't had time to research Magic Items yet.

I think I'd offer my services to the US Gov't. so that they could help with the nasties coming through the rift.

kulosle
2011-12-03, 08:48 PM
if someone does decide to DM they should post a link to the recruitment thread.

Rubik
2011-12-03, 09:10 PM
Hey Rubik, if I had Binder 20 on one side, could I teach others how to make pacts?Sure! But they'd start at binder 1, and most people who make it through school have 1-2 levels of expert (or another class with Knowledge skills).

Calanon
2011-12-03, 09:59 PM
Sure! But they'd start at binder 1, and most people who make it through school have 1-2 levels of expert (or another class with Knowledge skills).

oOo... so If i started a school that taught students the basics of magic I could in theory make it so that cantrips are common knowledge? I'm sure that would be REALLY helpful around the house :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2011-12-03, 10:32 PM
oOo... so If i started a school that taught students the basics of magic I could in theory make it so that cantrips are common knowledge? I'm sure that would be REALLY helpful around the house :smallbiggrin:I suppose, if that's your life-long ambition. And since you're about to have monsters pouring all over the landscape, I'm sure those castings of Prestidigitation will come in REAL handy... :smallconfused:

Calanon
2011-12-03, 11:55 PM
I suppose, if that's your life-long ambition. And since you're about to have monsters pouring all over the landscape, I'm sure those castings of Prestidigitation will come in REAL handy... :smallconfused:

Oh darn... that is a GREAT point :smalleek: I meant as a more stable living source... But I suppose I should teach more advanced things :smalltongue: But i am sort of afraid of the knowledge getting out to the world that with a single spell you could do anything (Wish) :(

legomaster00156
2011-12-04, 12:01 AM
oOo... so If i started a school that taught students the basics of magic I could in theory make it so that cantrips are common knowledge? I'm sure that would be REALLY helpful around the house :smallbiggrin:
Great job. In exchange for a lifetime of work, you made hundreds of jobs obsolete and created a world-wide unemployment spike. Well done!

Dr.Epic
2011-12-04, 12:03 AM
Maybe illusionist/bard, 20 both.

http://img1.openfilm.com/static/data/img/bph/400/435/000.jpg

"Quit stealing my style."

Rubik
2011-12-04, 12:06 AM
Maybe illusionist/bard, 20 both.

"Quit stealing my style."Needs moar crusader and shadowcraft mage.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-04, 12:11 AM
Great job. In exchange for a lifetime of work, you made hundreds of jobs obsolete and created a world-wide unemployment spike. Well done!

Let's return the horses, shall we? :}

legomaster00156
2011-12-04, 12:13 AM
Let's return the horses, shall we? :}
I just know I'm missing a reference here. It sounds Monty Python-ish. :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2011-12-04, 12:17 AM
Needs moar crusader and shadowcraft mage.

"Well at least I'm not a barbarian/ranger."

http://images.dailyfill.com/a0e6bad0a73445ca_b0fef321f30a26b7/o/chris-hemsworth-thor-cast.jpg

"You'll pay for that brother."

Though actually barbarian/ranger all 20 might not be bad.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-04, 12:25 AM
I just know I'm missing a reference here. It sounds Monty Python-ish. :smallconfused:

Nah, I was talking about the fact that horses became obsolete at some point in our history. Plus, I don't think learning magic is that fast as a process, so jobs will decline with time but not immediately.

Well, create food and water and similar spells might be devastating for agriculture in the long run, I suppose. It's all depends on how easy it is to learn the said magic and how much of us can actually learn it. Marches against fake food… how bad those could be, I wonder. On the other hand you don't have quite as much spells per day, so maybe not. Unless trap abuse.

legomaster00156
2011-12-04, 12:43 AM
Nah, I was talking about the fact that horses became obsolete at some point in our history. Plus, I don't think learning magic is that fast as a process, so jobs will decline with time but not immediately.

Well, create food and water and similar spells might be devastating for agriculture in the long run, I suppose. It's all depends on how easy it is to learn the said magic and how much of us can actually learn it. Marches against fake food… how bad those could be, I wonder. On the other hand you don't have quite as much spells per day, so maybe not. Unless trap abuse.
If cantrips were common knowledge, well, think of what Prestidigitation alone would do. It's Pocket Wish! You don't even have to lift a finger to clean your house spotlessly (unless finger-lifting is a somatic component). You can make any food taste like something else. It probably has a few other nifty uses, too.
Mage Hand can pretty much supply you with an extra set of hands for tasks.
Mending makes repairs trivial.
And this one is important: the average human has 1-4 HP. Ray of Frost and Acid Splash both deal 1d3 damage. They're about as damaging as a bullet, but you don't run out of them, they ignore armor of all types, and they cannot be searched for.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-04, 12:58 AM
Well, considering

most people who make it through school have 1-2 levels of expert (or another class with Knowledge skills).

it's a bit better than that, but still not by much.

legomaster00156
2011-12-04, 01:16 AM
most people who make it through school have 1-2 levels of expert (or another class with Knowledge skills).
Emphasis mine. In well over half the world, you're lucky if you get into a school, much less make it through. Of course, considering they probably wouldn't learn cantrips in those regions, I recede my argument.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 01:51 AM

Something I would be proud of :smalltongue:

But seeing as how the process of learning magic will be implemented into the education system (Learning base cantrips mandatory) I can imagine this as being less troubling then you'd imagine. Prestidigitation will not revolutionize much seeing as how limited its uses are (Think of all the things you can do with Prestidigitation that you can use in the "real world")

Prestidigitation
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No
Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

Beyond changing color, temperature, minor movement, changing flavor or other minor tricks Prestidigitation wouldn't change the work place... of course if your job involves changing color, temperature moving small things, or making food taste a little bit better then you should worry about your bosses mental health for paying you for doing such stupid work...

What you SHOULD worry about is how higher level spells will effect the world :smalleek:

Rubik
2011-12-04, 01:54 AM
It'd certainly make poisoning people easier, as well as making them suffer malnutrition by making them eat awful nutritionally-void food taste good.

Oh, wait. McDonald's already does that...

legomaster00156
2011-12-04, 02:00 AM
It'd certainly make poisoning people easier, as well as making them suffer malnutrition by making them eat awful nutritionally-void food taste good.

Oh, wait. McDonald's already does that...
But their "food" (and I am hesitant to call it such) doesn't even taste good. :smallconfused:

Rubik
2011-12-04, 02:05 AM

Oh, wait. McDonald's already does that...But their "food" (and I am hesitant to call it such) doesn't even taste good. :smallconfused:Someone's gotta think so; else this (http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8449785) would take more than just a toy to pull off.

And I used 'good' incredibly loosely. Like hotdog-down-a-hallway loosely.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 02:10 AM
But their "food" (and I am hesitant to call it such) doesn't even taste good. :smallconfused:

Are you implying that the McGangbang doesn't taste good? :smallmad:

on a side note I finally figured a build that will give me everything that I would like for my character :smallbiggrin:

Sorcerer/6 Fiend-Blooded/10 Lich/4// Necromancer/2 Master Specialist/1 Ultimate Magus/10 Archmage/5 Tainted Scholar/2

IF this is how a Gestalt is performed... I might be wrong on this but I believe this gives me full casting on both sides, allows me to "live" forever, makes my Sorcerer Caster level like 25 and my Wizard 20 or higher (not exactle sure), gain a natural +4 bonus to intelligence, a +2 bonus to Constitution, a +2 bonus to Dexterity, +3 to Charisma, +2 to Strength, a d12 Hitdie, Undead Immunities, Damage reduction 10/magic... :smallbiggrin:

kulosle
2011-12-04, 03:41 AM
A serious question for people to think about? How many of you would really want to live forever (especially if it means you're undead)? I know I wouldn't. A long life sure, but I like knowing there is an end. Changeling sounds like a good life span to me.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 03:55 AM
A serious question for people to think about? How many of you would really want to live forever (especially if it means you're undead)? I know I wouldn't. A long life sure, but I like knowing there is an end. Changeling sounds like a good life span to me.

My dreams, ambitions, goals and plans far exceed the capabilities of a normal human being even with magic which is why Lichdom is the best option (since Epic magic is currently off the table :smallfurious:) However if Epic Magic were to be on the table then I wouldn't need Lichdom since I could simply create a spell of epic proportions that would create everything that I would want and I am sure that spellcasters around the world would be very eager to aid me in my goal... for my goal is to create an Empire were Magic is almighty :smallamused:

Life is easy, food is plentiful, Disease is non-existent, and conflict is minor. In this world peace is eternal and advancement is a daily occurrence

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317248_198642640213173_100002023158384_464721_1154 49716_n.jpg

I am a little worried that the results above might occur... :smalleek:

EDIT: would this mean we would have an increase in Alcoholism? :smallconfused:

kulosle
2011-12-04, 04:58 AM
Hahaha nice comic. What I'm talking about is whether or not you would be okay watching everyone you love die, or eventually running out of things to do for all of eternity. As an undead this is made worse by not being able to enjoy things like food or sleep. I hate insomnia to begin with, I wouldn't want to never be able to sleep.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-04, 05:04 AM

Well, Telepath//Warblade will not give me immortality (unless mind switching) so I'm fine. I might be interested in immortality but that depends on whom I'm spending eternity with and what I need to do to achieve it. Stealing bodies sounds distasteful. Ascension on the other hand would be more interesting.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:06 AM
Hahaha nice comic. What I'm talking about is whether or not you would be okay watching everyone you love die, or eventually running out of things to do for all of eternity. As an undead this is made worse by not being able to enjoy things like food or sleep. I hate insomnia to begin with, I wouldn't want to never be able to sleep.

I hate eating, air taste disgusting, I would attempt to turn my significate other into an Undead as well (With her permission of course otherwise I would love her for all eternity and live by myself constantly contacting her soul in the afterlife), You would be surprised what I could do for all eternity before slippingly slowly but surely into madness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbBsMYtT8uA&feature=channel_video_title). There are so many things about living that I hate so much (Eating, breathing, sleeping, pooping, etc) and I would willingly give this up without a second thought... My madness knows no limits!
Undead do have the option to sleep, its just not needed for survival :smallbiggrin:

My truest and only concern is would I still maintain my genitals and would they still function as if I were alive? :smallconfused: (I need a lineage)

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-04, 05:27 AM

Live forever? That's the plan. But the key word there is "live". Riding the Suicide Express is more expensive and less reliable in the long run than lichdom, but it means being a living, breathing thing instead of a cold, dead one.

If I can't just live forever, Construct is at least preferable to Undead.

My dreams, ambitions, goals and plans far exceed the capabilities of a normal human being even with magic which is why Lichdom is the best option

This. Except I'm not willing to take that last step.

Life is easy, food is plentiful, Disease is non-existent, and conflict is minor. In this world peace is eternal and advancement is a daily occurrence

What's the quote... ? "I used to think spells equaled power, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then. You know what does equal power? Power. Power equals power."

I don't want to spend all of eternity defending the same worthless people century after century after century. If I'm going to have to defend my planet and my species from incursions from beyond, I'm going to turn my planet and my species into something that can incursion them right the Hell back. It ain't enough to be a god amongst insects-- I want to rule over gods.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:46 AM
Live forever? That's the plan. But the key word there is "live". Riding the Suicide Express is more expensive and less reliable in the long run than lichdom, but it means being a living, breathing thing instead of a cold, dead one.

Living is a state of being, if you are satisfied with your current state wether it be cold, or biologically dead so be it I can still live a "mortal" life while still maintaining the abilities that undeath provides. Lichdom is the fairest trade possible for an spellcaster to make, the trade in question is taste, scent, touch, and other things that make people happy for eternal "life".

If I can't just live forever, Construct is at least preferable to Undead.

The idea of becoming a Construct is... frightening to me to be honest... becoming a Construct is pretty much like a complete surrendering of everything that even made you capable of feeling those little things that the trade into Lichdom left you with. With Lichdom I will be able to still maintain some levels of humanity and keep what little sanity will be left to me after the process...

What's the quote... ? "I used to think spells equaled power, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then. You know what does equal power? Power. Power equals power."

I don't want to spend all of eternity defending the same worthless people century after century after century. If I'm going to have to defend my planet and my species from incursions from beyond, I'm going to turn my planet and my species into something that can incursion them right the Hell back. It ain't enough to be a god amongst insects-- I want to rule over gods.

"But the type of power? really doesn't matter as much as you'd think. It turns out that eveything is oddly balanced. Weird but true" :xykon:

I taught a man to fish, so he could feed himself for a lifetime. The Man in this case is an entire empire, and the lifetime in question is that of the entire multiverse... another interesting line that I saw in an old source book (A personal favorite 2nd edition book) stated that Gods were merely Wizards with great power that could potentially be challenged and beaten like any other Wizard and this really interested me to the point of having a serious interest in finding a by RAW way of killing a god... I know of no way for a Mortal to defeat a God, but have heard of a million ways for a Monk to defeat a Wizard... this disappointed me... but I digress I taught my Empire magic so that they could defend themselves from whatever Eldritch horrors await our world are well prepared to defend against "them"

kulosle
2011-12-04, 07:08 AM
This is why I would out fit the world with magic weapons and have bards singing all the time. God forbid one of the bards dies. Then that whole area would probably be wiped out if I didn't get there in time. Wait I just realized that my character doesn't have to find an artificer he can wish for all the items he wants. So that just leaves lots and lots of bards. My entire leadership would be filled with bards and maybe marshals.

Rubik
2011-12-04, 11:02 AM
A serious question for people to think about? How many of you would really want to live forever (especially if it means you're undead)? I know I wouldn't. A long life sure, but I like knowing there is an end. Changeling sounds like a good life span to me.Life is so full of amazing things it would take a billion lifetimes to learn about it all. Anybody succumbing to boredom isn't trying hard enough.

And anybody with the kind of power I'd be capable of could extend the lifespans of everyone else too (and I could resurrect them if something bad happened), so leaving behind the people I care about isn't a requirement either.

If all else failed, I'd make my own entertainment. I could easily keep myself happy for aeons with little problem. Immortality Is Awesome. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LivingForeverIsAwesome)

[edit] Also, becoming a construct/undead/whatever doesn't have to mean the end of your fun. Polymorph Any Object and Metamorphosis can both give you back the senses you may or may not have lost.

In my case, I'm a REFLUFFED warforged, and I'm alive anyway, so there's no reason why my senses would be gone. After all, they're perfectly capable of eating and drinking, sleeping if they wish, and even gaining the scent ability. No problems there.

Razanir
2011-12-04, 04:56 PM
Half-Elf Magical Girl (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218981)//Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner) 20. If PF isn't allowed, Magical Girl 12/ Rogue//Barbarian 8

EDIT: Didn't know I can mix and match my second class. Magical Girl 20 // Rogue 10 Barbarian 10

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:05 PM
Half-Elf Magical Girl (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218981)//Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner) 20. If PF isn't allowed, Magical Girl 12/ Rogue//Barbarian 8

I'm gonna say this before anyone else gets the chance to http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Anyway~ If anyone is gonna DM this I will gladly participate on a daily basis :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2011-12-04, 05:08 PM
I would definitely want to live forever. There is no reason not to make that step. because it removes no options. I would probably go the Elan/Warforged immortality route rather than the Lich route, simply because I prefer not to spend the rest of my days as a mobile corpse thank-you-very-much. The reason I don't hesitate is that death isn't off the table, I just won't die a natural death (and being a wizard I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting killed wither), I still have the option of suicide if life gets too boring or I get too upset about everyone else dying around me. In my eyes immortality does nothing more (or less) than expand the choices I am able to make about my life, which is always something to be sought out.

Rubik
2011-12-04, 05:12 PM
I would definitely want to live forever. There is no reason not to make that step. because it removes no options. I would probably go the Elan/Warforged immortality route rather than the Lich route, simply because I prefer not to spend the rest of my days as a mobile corpse thank-you-very-much. The reason I don't hesitate is that death isn't off the table, I just won't die a natural death (and being a wizard I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting killed wither), I still have the option of suicide if life gets too boring or I get too upset about everyone else dying around me. In my eyes immortality does nothing more (or less) than expand the choices I am able to make about my life, which is always something to be sought out.+1...

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:20 PM
I would definitely want to live forever. There is no reason not to make that step. because it removes no options. I would probably go the Elan/Warforged immortality route rather than the Lich route, simply because I prefer not to spend the rest of my days as a mobile corpse thank-you-very-much. The reason I don't hesitate is that death isn't off the table, I just won't die a natural death (and being a wizard I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting killed wither), I still have the option of suicide if life gets too boring or I get too upset about everyone else dying around me. In my eyes immortality does nothing more (or less) than expand the choices I am able to make about my life, which is always something to be sought out.

I can respect that :smallsmile: Its just the idea of Lichdom seems more preferable since I no longer need to eat or sleep or anything else. But I suppose an Elan could accomplish the same In all fairness If Elan was an option I would be an Elan but alas I do not have access to that race... I guess we could refluff it to make it seem logical :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2011-12-04, 05:22 PM
...Elan...AN UNCERTAINTY LICH.

Incanur
2011-12-04, 05:28 PM

My goal would be to make all jobs obsolete. Unemployment only makes any sense with the present economic system. Automation and abundance would allow everyone to occupy their time with whatever they desire.

I would definitely want to live indefinitely, but consider lichdom aesthetically and possibly morally unpleasant. I'd hope for rejuvenation therapy but accept last breath traps as a backup option.

Razanir
2011-12-04, 05:30 PM

EDIT: Didn't know I can mix and match my second class. Magical Girl 20 // Rogue 10 Barbarian 10

Final Choice- I'm a Magical Girl 15 Costumed Crusader (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12107738&postcount=50) 5 // Summoner 20

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:32 PM
AN UNCERTAINTY LICH.

...Your reference confuses me... :smallconfused:

Weezer
2011-12-04, 05:37 PM
...Your reference confuses me... :smallconfused:

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to this (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014) but I have no idea what that has to do with elans.

Rubik
2011-12-04, 05:44 PM
...Your reference confuses me... :smallconfused:Well, confusion does involve uncertainty.

My plan is complete.

Calanon
2011-12-04, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to this (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014) but I have no idea what that has to do with elans.

Ah... that makes sense...

You know what? To hell with it, I have a much more rigged way of getting my immortality and keeping everything that I care about :smallmad:

I will capture as many Elans as possible then convert them into Living Zombies. Since Elans life spans are nigh eternal I am effectively immune to aging entirely :smallyuk: There i give up nothing and have my way :smallfurious:

lorddrake
2011-12-05, 07:03 AM
LordDrake has been considering it, but isn't sure.

Sorry for not posting over the weekend. I've been busy.

I have considered and I'm quite sure this one will need more effort and time than I have to offer. Sorry, guys.

kulosle
2011-12-05, 07:07 AM
I must admit that even with a long life span I would probably use last breath a number of times myself. It would be an interesting experience every time I was getting to that point of having to use it again I would debate with myself weather or not I should die.

I like the thought of making jobs obsolete. I'd also try to make money/trade/economy obsolete. Everything everyone needs is made by traps. Then I'd make schooling free everywhere. All this to avoid paying back my student loans.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-05, 07:16 AM
My goal would be to make all jobs obsolete. Unemployment only makes any sense with the present economic system. Automation and abundance would allow everyone to occupy their time with whatever they desire.

Sure. You can eliminate poverty, you can eliminate disease, you can give everyone in the world absolutely everything they need and most of what they want-- but then what are they going to do? You can make their lives easier, but how are you going to make them better?

Tyndmyr
2011-12-05, 09:17 AM
Sure. You can eliminate poverty, you can eliminate disease, you can give everyone in the world absolutely everything they need and most of what they want-- but then what are they going to do? You can make their lives easier, but how are you going to make them better?

So, they spend less time working and more time having fun or whatever. Some people might use this time to do more awesome thing. Others will just watch more TV. Whatever. Still a win.

Weezer
2011-12-05, 02:07 PM

They will do whatever they want. Sure you'll get those people who just mess around and watch TV, but then you'll have all those people who have had dreams or ambitions that they couldn't do simply because they had to put too much effort into surviving from the day to day. There would be an upswing of those "pointless" activities that in our society are overwhelmed by more "practical" pursuits. Philosophy, art of all forms, literature etc would undergo a massive infusion of people who have wanted to pursue them in depth but were kept from it by our need to eat.

hushblade
2011-12-05, 02:11 PM
Either that or humanity would stagnate from a lack of challenge and need to overcome anything. Why make progress when all of your needs are being met?

Weezer
2011-12-05, 02:21 PM
Either that or humanity would stagnate from a lack of challenge and need to overcome anything. Why make progress when all of your needs are being met?

If there are no challenges, where can you progress to? Pretty much by definition progress needs to be against something, an attempt to make things better. If there is no area to be improved why would we want progress and if there are still areas that could use progress, there would still be people who are trying to progress in there areas.

Rubik
2011-12-05, 02:24 PM
Either that or humanity would stagnate from a lack of challenge and need to overcome anything. Why make progress when all of your needs are being met?Some people succumb to stagnation, but there are a lot of people with drive and ambition, and find it impossible to sit around and do nothing.

Sure, base needs and wants are taken care of, but there's a hierarchy of needs, and fulfilling the lower levels just means that we would progress along the higher tiers.

Self-fulfillment, rather than slaving for sustenance.

hushblade
2011-12-05, 02:26 PM
Have you ever read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells? After a while of having all of our needs being met for us, we would essentially devolve down to the Eloi of the book. At least in my opinion. Challenge and the need for progress is what keeps humanity from such a fate.

Rubik
2011-12-05, 02:28 PM
Have you ever read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells? After a while of having all of our needs being met for us, we would essentially devolve down to the Eloi of the book. At least in my opinion. Challenge and the need for progress is what keeps humanity from such a fate.Again, Maslow's hierarchy of needs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs) Base needs would be met. Higher tier needs would not.

Thus, we would still have needs that magic couldn't account for, and could derive challenge from that.

hushblade
2011-12-05, 02:33 PM
I'm not so sure about there being needs magic couldn't realistically fulfill. The illusion school could probably fulfill just about everything you'd need from human interaction.

That said, The hierarchy of needs isn't all that good a description of reality from what I've personally seen in my short time on earth. I see people lacking many things on the base, and still actively pursuing things near the peak. It is pretty good prescriptively, in that one ought to work towards the base before the higher tiers, but not so well descriptively.

Rubik
2011-12-05, 02:36 PM
I'm not so sure about there being needs magic couldn't realistically fulfill. The illusion school could probably fulfill just about everything you'd need from human interaction.

That said, The hierarchy of needs isn't all that good a description of reality from what I've personally seen in my short time on earth. I see people lacking many things on the base, and still actively pursuing things near the peak. It is pretty good prescriptively, in that one ought to work towards the base before the higher tiers, but not so well descriptively.The point remains is that those needs are still there, even if some of them aren't being met.

Being warm, well-fed, -clothed, and -housed simply means that people would turn their attentions to the other needs on the list, rather than focusing so much attention on the lower-order needs.

hushblade
2011-12-05, 02:39 PM
Some would, others would be content to sit on their lazy asses, and stagnate.

Weezer
2011-12-05, 03:38 PM
Some would, others would be content to sit on their lazy asses, and stagnate.

So? There is nothing inherently noble or good about being forced to struggle for what we need to survive. If people want to be lazy, why shouldn't they be?

hushblade
2011-12-05, 03:50 PM
Devolution mostly.

Rubik
2011-12-05, 04:02 PM
Devolution mostly.They're going to be that way whether they have to work or not.

At least with magic the people who want to excel at doing something they WANT to do won't have to scrape to survive instead of being driven by their life's passions.

Mordokai
2011-12-05, 04:22 PM
A half-elf bard 20//beguiler 20. Hardly an optimized combination, but fun as hell. Pretty much all the skills and enough intelligence and charisma to spare. Throw in some nice items and the right feats and nobody will know what hit them.

It may not save the world, but it will have all the fun trying.

Razanir
2011-12-05, 05:02 PM
I would only live forever if I could easily end it. Something more like the early Numenorians. And why Magical Girl//Summoner? I would play up the superhero bit. MG has a secret identity and anime powers built in (who cares that I'm a girl as a hero, I'm a superhero!) and Summoner's Eidolon gives me an awesome magic-wielding sidekick

Rubik
2011-12-05, 05:16 PM
I would only live forever if I could easily end it. Something more like the early Numenorians. And why Magical Girl//Summoner? I would play up the superhero bit. MG has a secret identity and anime powers built in (who cares that I'm a girl as a hero, I'm a superhero!) and Summoner's Eidolon gives me an awesome magic-wielding sidekickNote that not all 'magical girls' are girls.

You're a magical MAN.

...which sounds like a bad porn title.

Razanir
2011-12-05, 05:33 PM
Note that not all 'magical girls' are girls.

True, but I get 3 outfits. (Class, PrC, Feat) Why NOT make one of them a girl? Most magical girls ARE girls, and I have a high enough Disguise check (+5 Cha + 23 ranks + 10 from my outfit CC +30 from my disguise MG = +68) I don't think any people will know it's me. AND it makes the whole thing tropier (Super Gender Bender (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperGenderBender), anyone?)

Calanon
2011-12-05, 07:46 PM
Note that not all 'magical girls' are girls.

You're a magical MAN.

...which sounds like a bad porn title.

My dad has a porno in his closet titled "Magical Man" :smalleek:

Anyway~ With my idea of a magical base empire we are arcanist will have an eternal desire to expand our knowledge of the Arcane and practice, train, develop more spells to revolutionize how we live our lives. The creation of Demiplanes, traversing the planes of existance. You are all assuming that we would stop at this plane of existance and never leave it or try and travel to others :smallconfused:

If i remember correctly the Netherese prohibited the creation of Demiplanes and any experimentation with the planes of existance (Except for the actions being used in the Elemental Plane of Water which was used to supply the Enclaves with water) However, I sincerely doubt that we would ever outlaw the practice of interplanar travel since our hunger for knowledge is so great that we would never willingly outlaw such a thing (Since with the discovery of magic we have pretty much ruled in the fact that gods do exist)

EDIT: This entire theory is based on the idea that only I am bound by the whole "lvl 20 and not a XP point higher" rule

Razanir
2011-12-05, 08:09 PM
And while you're experimenting with other planes, I'll be living it up as not 1, not 2, but THREE different superheroes.

Form 1- Blue Boy. Resistant to ice; bulky, armor-like costume; fights outsiders

Form 2- Flash Fire. Resistant to fire; has a flying snake (my Eidolon) for a sidekick; fights dragons

Form 3- Sonic Boom. Very, very fast; flies at Perfect maneuverability; my chick form; default superhero form

Calanon
2011-12-05, 08:31 PM
Form 3- Sonic Boom. Very, very fast; flies at Perfect maneuverability; my chick form; default superhero form

SONIC RAINBOOM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C5VSZqXrUHQ/TmH6ZFhO-vI/AAAAAAAALes/kVOdGZbX8Og/s1600/i-am-rainbow-dash.jpg

sorry first thing that came to mind :smallwink:

kardar233
2011-12-05, 10:26 PM
And while you're experimenting with other planes, I'll be living it up as not 1, not 2, but THREE different superheroes.

Form 1- Blue Boy. Resistant to ice; bulky, armor-like costume; fights outsiders

Form 2- Flash Fire. Resistant to fire; has a flying snake (my Eidolon) for a sidekick; fights dragons

I have Shapechange. All the time. Your argument is invalid.

kulosle
2011-12-06, 02:44 AM
My dad has a porno in his closet titled "Magical Man" :smalleek:

Can we all pretend we don't know this.

I really want to play this character now. Has any of the curious DM's come to a decision?

Calanon
2011-12-06, 03:04 AM
Can we all pretend we don't know this.

No You can try... but you will fail ;p

I really want to play this character now. Has any of the curious DM's come to a decision?

Same statement/question, just imagine it with a British accent

Rubik
2011-12-06, 03:40 AM
Completely unrelated, but still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BgAlQuqzl8o

Also completely unrelated, but spread this around on every social networking site you can: http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/05/cats-1-kids-0/ (Totally not cool, y'all.)

lorddrake
2011-12-09, 08:09 AM
So, everybody has just given up? No DM?

If I were to rethink, would you guys play? But I'd do with only a few players. I'm posting the thread on the finding players section.

Since I will only have four players I'd suggest any other DM interested in opening another game in the same setting.

I'll describe better what I'm going to do on the recruitment thread.

As seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225228)

cagemarrow
2011-12-09, 02:31 PM
I think I'd want to do something like

Warforged Int/Cha focused

Wizard 1/Binder2/Anima Mage 10/Legacy Champion 7 // Artificer 18/Chameleon 2

Feats will be all the item cost reduction feats I can fit. Legendary, extraordinary, exceptional, magical artisan (applied to all item creation feats since it can be taken multiple times), Elemental Binding, the General feat that lets me use my stats for items instead of the minimum, extend spell, persist spell, etc.

I'm all about the building things to do the work for me and this is the build I see being able to do the most good, or harm, to protect the world from planar incursions. Unlimited resources, at will divinations, summonable helpers, persistent shape change, item creation at insane speeds will all be mine. . . wu ha ha ha ha. . ahem I mean I'm here to help.