View Full Version : Spellthief Duskblade with Whirling Blade

Talionis
2011-11-27, 08:50 PM
Whirling Blade, 2nd level spell can be taken by a Spellthief because its a Wizard Transmutation spell.

Duskblade's 3rd level channel ability lets a touch spell be cast during the attack.

1. Can I attack with a Manuever each person in the line?
2. Does the channeled spell effect every creature in the line of the Whirling Blade?
3. Can I fuel both Whirling Blade and the touch spell I channel with Spelltheft? Thus cast a second level spell and say third level touch spell by stealing a 5th level spell?
4. What are some good touch spells to channel?
5. Can I add spells to my spellthief spelllist and cast them with Spelltheft if I steal a high enough spell? Examples would be Arcane Disciple, or levels of Sandshaper. I know that I can take the online: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606
5. If I can use the Domains, what Domains include good debuffing/offensive touch spells for Whirling Blade attacks?

I think would be three levels of Duskblade and needing some significant levels of Spellthief, what other things would be interesting for a character like this to do. Neat fun things would greatly be appreciated.

dextercorvia
2011-11-27, 09:40 PM
You have a bunch of mutually exclusive Standard Actions there.

Keld Denar
2011-11-27, 09:41 PM
Casting Whirling Blade is a standard action. It can't be combined with any other standard action. It can only trigger things that happen as part of an attack. You can't spell channel with Duskblade, since its a standard action. You could spell channel as a Spellsword, though, since its a move action and triggers automatically when you attack next.

You couldn't initiate a strike with Whirling Blade, again, since both are a standard action. You could initiate a boost, though, so you could Whirling Blade with Searing Blade. Whirling Blade counts as a melee attack for all attacks.

If you qualify for sneak attack, you can steal spells with Whirling Blade. You could even steal a spell from each foe you hit. With enough Spellthief levels, you could use the spell energy stolen to cast more Whirling Blades. Given that Whirling Blade is a normal attack while something like Scorching Ray is a touch attack, that doesn't make it a very effective vehicle against tough AC foes like some outsiders.

If you don't have spell slots of the appropriate level, you can't cast spells other than the stolen spells with that spell energy. Just because Arcane Disciple has 9th level spells and you may have just stolen a 9th level spell, you can't choose to convert the stolen spell into your Arcane Disciple spell unless you actually have 9th level spell slots of your own. Effectively, despite having 9th level spells on your spell list, you don't know them until you have slots high enough to cast them.

dextercorvia
2011-11-27, 09:55 PM
Arcane Disciple wouldn't work, but a Bloodline Feat should. You do actually know those spells.

Talionis
2011-11-28, 11:00 AM
Casting Whirling Blade is a standard action. It can't be combined with any other standard action. It can only trigger things that happen as part of an attack. You can't spell channel with Duskblade, since its a standard action. You could spell channel as a Spellsword, though, since its a move action and triggers automatically when you attack next.

You couldn't initiate a strike with Whirling Blade, again, since both are a standard action. You could initiate a boost, though, so you could Whirling Blade with Searing Blade. Whirling Blade counts as a melee attack for all attacks.

If you qualify for sneak attack, you can steal spells with Whirling Blade. You could even steal a spell from each foe you hit. With enough Spellthief levels, you could use the spell energy stolen to cast more Whirling Blades. Given that Whirling Blade is a normal attack while something like Scorching Ray is a touch attack, that doesn't make it a very effective vehicle against tough AC foes like some outsiders.

If you don't have spell slots of the appropriate level, you can't cast spells other than the stolen spells with that spell energy. Just because Arcane Disciple has 9th level spells and you may have just stolen a 9th level spell, you can't choose to convert the stolen spell into your Arcane Disciple spell unless you actually have 9th level spell slots of your own. Effectively, despite having 9th level spells on your spell list, you don't know them until you have slots high enough to cast them.

Thank you. I was having a hard time with the distinction. Since normal attacks are standard actions and both Whirling Blade and Channel were allowing you to do something in a standard action and attack I was wondering if you could pull off both.