PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Drow

Cisturn
2011-11-27, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, so last week in my long running game one of our pc's, an elven wizard was turned into a drow. Now the player doesn't mind, in fact she's kinda liking the +2 to Charisma and Intelligence. The only problem is that I play a Radiant Servant of Pelor who uses a lot of light based spells, light of venya, blistering radiance, sunbeam and the like. Does anyone know of a magic item, that will save her from blindness every time she's exposed to bright light? Or will I just have to vary my spell list?

Rhaegar14
2011-11-27, 09:43 PM
1) Sundark Goggles, page 123 of Races of the Dragon, negates penalties for light sensitivity, but light blindness would probably be subject to DM interpretation.

2) Drow Paragon out of Unearthed Arcana causes drow light blindness to go down to light sensitivity at second or third level, and if your DM is nice, will only cost her one caster level (the second two levels advance casting; cleric casting for females, wizard casting for males. But you might be able to make the case that since the character was born a surface elf, and the difference between spellcasting for the two genders is culturally based, it should still advance Wizard casting). Combine with Sundark Goggles listed above.

3) She's a Wizard. There's got to be a spell for this. But I don't know it haha.

Lateral
2011-11-27, 09:44 PM
Sundark Goggles. 10gp, Races of the Dragon. Easy as pie.

Deepbluediver
2011-11-27, 09:52 PM
I've never read Races of the Dragon; is it a magic item or just the fantasy equivalent of sunglasses?

I played a drow in a one-shot game, and when introducing my character I described how every inch of skin was covered (so no one could figure out what I was) including "a pair of smoked-glass lenses set in metal frames that cover his eyes".

The did the same thing as your Sundark Goggles, but also reduced Darkvision as a trade-off; so I had to remeber to remove them every time we went underground.
No one bothered to actually read my character sheet though, so 3 hours in I had a little tuffle with the DM over wether or not I was any good at fighting harpies in broad daylight.
:smallamused:

Lateral
2011-11-27, 09:54 PM
It's just the fantasy equivalent of sunglasses.

zimmerwald1915
2011-11-28, 08:23 AM
If you're not averse to including Pathfinder material there's a second-level spell called "Protective Penumbra" that's designed to do exactly what you want (though I believe they had vampires and not drow in mind when they designed it). Why that option might be preferred to a cheap, mundane item is beyond me, but options are good, right?