PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 New Domain! The Negative Energy Domain (PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-27, 09:49 PM
The Negative Energy Domain
Deities: Any deity who offers the Death Domain also offers the Negative Energy Domain.

Granted Power: You gain the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat (Libris Mortis) as a bonus feat. You need not meet the prerequisites. Additionally, all inflict and harm spells you cast have their level caps increased by 5 (So inflict light wounds would deal up to 1d8+10 at caster level 10, etc)

Spells:

1st: Inflict Light Wounds

2nd: Inflict Moderate Wounds

3rd: Inflict Serious Wounds

4th: Inflict Critical Wounds

5th: Mass Inflict Light Wounds

6th: Harm

7th: Greater Harm (Heroes of Horror)

8th: Mass Inflict Critical Wounds

9th: Mass Harm (Heroes of Horror)

Now, some of you are probably thinking at this point: What cleric would take this? The spells on this list are all on the cleric spell list!

You are correct! This Domain is primarily either for A) Sub-optimal clerics who just want to harm everything to death, or more likely B) wielders of the Arcane Disciple feat (just for them to have the option of negative energy rule) or a class without domains who gained access to one via Contemplative or one of the other Complete Divine prestige classes.

Negative Energy Devotion
Energy from the negative planes calls to you. You gain the ability to deliver a touch that erodes life.
Benefit: You gain the Charnel Touch supernatural ability (as the Dread Necromancer)

At will, but no more than once per round, you may deliver a touch attack that deals 1d8 negative energy damage, +1 per four levels (max 1d8+5 at 20th level). Your Charnel Touch threatens a critical hit on a natural 20 and deals double damage if you confirm it. You can make Sneak Attacks with your Charnel Touch. The extra damage dice are negative energy dice if you do so.

If you use this touch on a creature who is healed by negative energy, they instead heal by 1 hit point.

Domriso
2011-11-27, 10:13 PM
It definitely accomplishes what it sets out to do. But, I could also see a cleric who wants to pull some real undead healing out to like it, if only for the domain ability.

I approve.

Noctis Vigil
2011-11-28, 03:05 AM
Oooo. I like. I think I might use this in my homebrew world I'm making; one of the deities is a TN god of life and death.

Rapidghoul
2011-11-28, 03:18 AM
My first thought was that the ability was a little too powerful; a free feat and raising the cap is pretty big. Then again, you're not actually gaining any new spells from the domain, all of which fit the theme perfectly. I like it.

Acidic_Cakes
2011-11-28, 03:24 AM
Seems like it would feel right at home with some of the more necromantic style clerics.

Now, what do you think that a hypothetical Negative Energy Devotion feat would do?

Draconi Redfir
2011-11-28, 03:54 AM
I did something similar to this for an undead campaign I’m hoping to run, though mostly i just took the "healing" domain, named it "harming" and made all the cure spells into inflict spells.

Writing fluff for a necromantic shadow-worshiping tribe (see sig) in shackled city, considering throwing in some game-affecting stuff at some point (i.e. stats for an undead hand attached to it's still-living owner who is in complete control of the thing) so maybe i'll throw this in their (and credit ofcorse) if i decide to write out domains for the shadow worship thing, if your ok with that of course.

Kinda worried about the fact that the feat and some of the spells are from sorcebooks though, that’s really the only issue I have with it, and it’s a small one at worst.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-28, 12:26 PM
Kinda worried about the fact that the feat and some of the spells are from sorcebooks though, that’s really the only issue I have with it, and it’s a small one at worst.

Eh. Best domains are non-Core anyway. (Time, Deathbound, Celerity, Hunger)

I'm not too worried about it.

Edit: As requested, I have posted the Negative Energy Devotion feat!

motionmatrix
2011-11-28, 12:53 PM
I guess making harm deadlier earlier has its merits, 150 damage at level 10 is nothing to scoff at.

Yitzi
2011-11-28, 12:55 PM
Also, Greater Harm is the only non-Core spell that's likely to be a problem in that regard; while Mass Harm isn't Core, it can be made a domain-specific spell, and it's not as if you need a splatbook to figure out what it does.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-28, 01:06 PM
Also, Greater Harm is the only non-Core spell that's likely to be a problem in that regard; while Mass Harm isn't Core, it can be made a domain-specific spell, and it's not as if you need a splatbook to figure out what it does.

Actually, mass harm is a mass version of greater harm, not harm.

I guess making harm deadlier earlier has its merits, 150 damage at level 10 is nothing to scoff at.

First of all, you need to be at least level 11 to cast a 6th level spell.

Secondly, the domain power doesn't add +5 to your CL and raise the cap, it just raises the cap. Your CL would need to be 20 to take advantage of the increased cap, at which point it would simply deal 200 points of damage.

Yitzi
2011-11-28, 04:54 PM
Actually, mass harm is a mass version of greater harm, not harm.

Well, that's overpowered...mass heal is a mass version of heal, and at that is a "cheap" mass spell (+3 SL, most mass spells are +4 SL), so mass harm should be a mass version of harm.

EDIT: Just found info on Greater Harm, and I take that back, but only because Greater Harm is in fact weaker than Harm (6.5 average damage/level, max 130, as opposed to 10/level, max 150 for Harm.) Greater Harm does have a better range and no need for a touch attack, but those are true for a mass version anyway.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-28, 05:01 PM
Well, that's overpowered...mass heal is a mass version of heal, and at that is a "cheap" mass spell (+3 SL, most mass spells are +4 SL), so mass harm should be a mass version of harm.

EDIT: Just found info on Greater Harm, and I take that back, but only because Greater Harm is in fact weaker than Harm (6.5 average damage/level, max 130, as opposed to 10/level, max 150 for Harm.) Greater Harm does have a better range and no need for a touch attack, but those are true for a mass version anyway.

Yes, that's what I was going to say as soon as I read your first paragraph. Actually making mass harm the exact opposite of mass heal would be way too abusable, considering the commonness of negative energy resistance/immunity compared to fire/electricity/cold/acid resistance/immunity.

Greater harm is a joke of a spell, and mass harm makes it playable. I'd save my 7th and 9th level spells for my other domain though, and just enjoy the extra harm.

motionmatrix
2011-11-28, 07:09 PM
First of all, you need to be at least level 11 to cast a 6th level spell.

Secondly, the domain power doesn't add +5 to your CL and raise the cap, it just raises the cap. Your CL would need to be 20 to take advantage of the increased cap, at which point it would simply deal 200 points of damage.

Your right, you do need to be 11th level to cast harm, normally.

Now I feel like this domain power is underwhelming (at least as far as harm is concerned, not inflict spells).

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-28, 11:44 PM
Your right, you do need to be 11th level to cast harm, normally.

Now I feel like this domain power is underwhelming (at least as far as harm is concerned, not inflict spells).

Well, that bonus is in addition to having the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat, which lets you heal yourself with negative energy spells, so those souped-up inflict spells can heal you now.

motionmatrix
2011-11-29, 03:08 PM
That's right, okie never mind =)

hikite
2020-11-11, 11:37 PM
I am making a High Priest of orcus with a splash in contemplative this domain works perfect with. Thanks. I know this was so 9 year ago, but thanks anyways