PDA

View Full Version : feats for a codzilla

Bloodymango
2011-11-28, 01:10 AM
so i have a melee cleric, thats currntly 10th level taht i plane on makeing a demon fighter, im looking for 1 last feat to complete my class. For this feat i would like for it to add damage to mt rolls. plz no leap attack

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-28, 01:12 AM
Moar extra turning? Divine Might? In certain cases Divine Spell Power will add + to hit.

DarthCyberWolf
2011-11-28, 01:19 AM
Knowledge Devotion might help, especially with your demon fighting.

sonofzeal
2011-11-28, 04:37 AM
I went with "Martial Study: Emerald Razor". It's not directly extra damage, but if you already have Power Attack it's even better. A once per fight "POWERATTACKING EMERALD RAZOR OF SMITE" is usually a nice thing to be able to throw out there.

Snowbluff
2011-11-28, 10:30 AM
I went with "Martial Study: Emerald Razor". It's not directly extra damage, but if you already have Power Attack it's even better. A once per fight "POWERATTACKING EMERALD RAZOR OF SMITE" is usually a nice thing to be able to throw out there.

Actually, taking a level in Warblade now could grant him that. Besides, he'd only be able to use it once an encounter with the feat.

EDIT: I suggest Knowledge Devotion, which is very helpful vs. demons if you have Knowledge (The Planes).

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-28, 01:50 PM
Actually, taking a level in Warblade now could grant him that. Besides, he'd only be able to use it once an encounter with the feat.

EDIT: I suggest Knowledge Devotion, which is very helpful vs. demons if you have Knowledge (The Planes).On the other hand, just taking the feat wouldn't gimp his spell progression.

Elric VIII
2011-11-28, 02:30 PM
While it doesn't directly increase your damage, it helps you with thins like GMW and Divine Favor by easily boosting your CL.

Elder Giant Magic from Secrets of Xen'drik. You can increase the casting time by 1-3 rounds (and make a DC 15+spell level+rounds concentration check) in order to increase your CL by 1-3. Requires Spellcraft 9 or Giant type.

Essence_of_War
2011-11-28, 02:33 PM
Bloodymango,

What do your other feats look like?

Sadly, Emerald Razor has a pre-req of 1 DM maneuver. If you really wanted it (and I happen to REALLY like it, personally) a 1 level dip in Warblade could be tremendously fun for you. If you do, make sure to grab the fort/will save-replacements while you're there. You'll thank me when you roll a natural 1 against dominate person and still pass it because you're making a concentration check not a save :smallamused:

sonofzeal
2011-11-28, 05:57 PM
Bloodymango,

What do your other feats look like?

Sadly, Emerald Razor has a pre-req of 1 DM maneuver. If you really wanted it (and I happen to REALLY like it, personally) a 1 level dip in Warblade could be tremendously fun for you. If you do, make sure to grab the fort/will save-replacements while you're there. You'll thank me when you roll a natural 1 against dominate person and still pass it because you're making a concentration check not a save :smallamused:
Huh, never noticed that prereq. Given that the prereqs are otherwise entirely based on maneuver level, and 2nd lvl maneuvers don't get prereq's, I'm inclined to think it's a typo.

Snowbluff
2011-11-28, 06:20 PM
On the other hand, just taking the feat wouldn't gimp his spell progression.

1 caster level and he'll still get higher level spells I think (AFB)

Essence_of_War
2011-11-28, 09:37 PM
Huh, never noticed that prereq. Given that the prereqs are otherwise entirely based on maneuver level, and 2nd lvl maneuvers don't get prereq's, I'm inclined to think it's a typo.

I would disagree with you here.

Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, Tiger Claw, and Stone Dragon have no level 2 maneuvers with pre-reqs, but the other 5 do. In general, although the prereqs tend to scale with the maneuver level, there is no hard and fast rule.

We've got Mountain Tombstone Strike (SD,9) with no pre-reqs (which I will happily cede as almost certainly a typo), and Ancient Mtn Hammer (SD,7) with 3! In fact, in Diamond Mind alone, we've got Diamond Defense (8) and Rapid Counter (5) with 0 each, while 3 and 2 prereqs respectively is far more common for maneuvers of their level. Heck, Tiger Claw has a 1st level maneuvers with a prereq, and I'd bet the metaphorical farm that that was to avoid having everyone and their uncle taking Martial Study: Sudden Leap.

We're obviously never going to get errata at this point as to which of these are typos and which are intentional, but if you look at all of the maneuvers as a whole, it seems like they were trying to use the pre-reqs as gateways for what they identified as some of the more powerful maneuvers. Emerald Razor is marginal if you're just whacking people for the heck of it, but becomes QUITE powerful if you combine it with Power Attack or Stromguard Warrior shenanigans.

sonofzeal
2011-11-28, 10:02 PM
I would disagree with you here.

Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, Tiger Claw, and Stone Dragon have no level 2 maneuvers with pre-reqs, but the other 5 do. In general, although the prereqs tend to scale with the maneuver level, there is no hard and fast rule.

We've got Mountain Tombstone Strike (SD,9) with no pre-reqs (which I will happily cede as almost certainly a typo), and Ancient Mtn Hammer (SD,7) with 3! In fact, in Diamond Mind alone, we've got Diamond Defense (8) and Rapid Counter (5) with 0 each, while 3 and 2 prereqs respectively is far more common for maneuvers of their level. Heck, Tiger Claw has a 1st level maneuvers with a prereq, and I'd bet the metaphorical farm that that was to avoid having everyone and their uncle taking Martial Study: Sudden Leap.

We're obviously never going to get errata at this point as to which of these are typos and which are intentional, but if you look at all of the maneuvers as a whole, it seems like they were trying to use the pre-reqs as gateways for what they identified as some of the more powerful maneuvers. Emerald Razor is marginal if you're just whacking people for the heck of it, but becomes QUITE powerful if you combine it with Power Attack or Stromguard Warrior shenanigans.
I take an alternate interpretation - barring a few obvious typos, I suspect several maneuvers had their level shuffled at the last minute. They came up with dozens of maneuvers for each discipline, and must have had some fun deciding what goes where. Is the ability to treat an enemy as flatfooted more or less powerful than dealing a bit of extra damage? Is -2 Con on a hit more or less powerful than going invisible for a round? There were probably near-constant revisions as different people weighed in.

In short, I suspect Emerald Razor was originally a 3rd lvl maneuver, and dropped to 2nd fairly late on. Same with most of the other unexpected ones - except those with the Prereq bar missing entirely, of course.

In any case, I use the general pattern rather than the specific line for each maneuver. It saves a heck of a lot of checking, and given that a few are obviously mistakes, it seems closer to the intent as well. That means easier access to Emerald Razor and a few others, at the "cost" of sealing otherwise-sketchy options like grabbing high-level maneuvers with no listed prereqs.

Essence_of_War
2011-11-29, 09:28 AM
I take an alternate interpretation - barring a few obvious typos, I suspect several maneuvers had their level shuffled at the last minute. They came up with dozens of maneuvers for each discipline, and must have had some fun deciding what goes where. Is the ability to treat an enemy as flatfooted more or less powerful than dealing a bit of extra damage? Is -2 Con on a hit more or less powerful than going invisible for a round? There were probably near-constant revisions as different people weighed in.

In short, I suspect Emerald Razor was originally a 3rd lvl maneuver, and dropped to 2nd fairly late on. Same with most of the other unexpected ones - except those with the Prereq bar missing entirely, of course.

In any case, I use the general pattern rather than the specific line for each maneuver. It saves a heck of a lot of checking, and given that a few are obviously mistakes, it seems closer to the intent as well. That means easier access to Emerald Razor and a few others, at the "cost" of sealing otherwise-sketchy options like grabbing high-level maneuvers with no listed prereqs.

Ah! It may surprise you, but for whatever reason, that 'level shuffle' had actually never occurred to me before, and in fact, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to think of the maneuver lists as shuffled more or less continuously up until the last minute before printing. It certainly explains some of the weirdness.

At any rate, OP, I think if your DM allows ToB, Zeal makes a pretty reasonable case for getting Emerald Razor with Martial Study.

Bloodymango
2011-11-29, 09:35 AM
Currently this is what i am working with and looking for. Feats such as SF conjuration, augment summoning, DIMENSIONAL REACH and rapid spell may be replaced due to the lack of summoning. (was the original plan. before several item were acquired) sadly, my group does not allow tob, so war blade and maneuvers are out. knowladge devotion sounds like a good plan but i need to boost my int then. keep them comeing guys i really thank u for this (no leap attack)

1 cleric* SF conjration, augment summining
2 cleric*
3 cleric* rapid spell
4 cleric*
5 ordained champ power attack
6 KoTR DIMENSIONAL REACH
7 KoTR*
8 KoTR*
9 KoTR* (weapon spec^ melee weapon mastry)
10 KoTR*
11 ordained champ*
12 ordained champ* Servent of the heavens
13 FoR
14 FoR*
15 FoR* HOLY WARRIOR
16 FoR*
17 FoR*
18 FoR* feat
19 FoR*
20 FoR*

KotR = knight of the raven
FoR = Fist of rizeal

^was given as a bonus feat for a task in game
* marks caster levels

(LG)
human

Bloodymango
2011-11-30, 08:27 PM
besides knowladge devotion, and goign in to ToB, any one else have ne ideas

Adrayll
2011-11-30, 11:43 PM
It seems that you lack DMM Persisting. Or is that considered overcheesy for your game?

Also, not to nitpick, but it's far easier to reply to spellchecked posts.