PDA

View Full Version : Playable High LA or Racial Hit Dice Races.

Stabbald
2011-11-28, 10:14 AM
I've always been a fan of playing monsters, but I can never find any that are comparable in power to a straight no adjustment or low adjustment race, such as Human or Goliath.

The only one that I'm aware of is the Pixie, which works well as a rogue.

Are there any other races with high level adjustments/racial hit dice that are worth playing?

Campbellk8105
2011-11-28, 10:30 AM
In the campaign I'm in, if my character dies I'm trying to play a giant for my back up character. However my DM said no due to the type I chose and the awesomeness of it. We have a doppelganger and a half celestial in our group, both LA 4, and the doppelganger took 4 HD so bumps it to LA 8 effectively.

My idea was:
Race: Sand Giant
Class: Any full BAB/ War hulk/ Hulking Hurler

Now if you're unfamiliar with a Sand giant let me give you a few things it gets.

For starters it's large obviously, the stat bumps are amazing! +16 str +10 dex +10 con and I believe +4 wis and cha. At will as a free action it can also use blur.

That's just some stuff. In my eyes, so worth the LA +4.

Yora
2011-11-28, 11:00 AM
Anything without caster level should work quite fine even with LA or RHD.

TheGeckoKing
2011-11-28, 11:07 AM
Sylphs are pretty good. They have an ECL of 8, 3HD, and Sorcerer casting equal to their HD+4, so Sorcerer levels double stack.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-28, 11:07 AM
Let's see, of the top of my head

Half Minotaur, +12 str among other things for +1 LA
Half Fey, +2 LA, gets loads of fun SLAs and wings, charm person at will
Fey'ri get alternate form and wings for +2 LA

Now, these are lowish LA but most of the time I find even low LA to be too high. Even though, these are some of the better LA options out there.

Also: Incarnate Construct Warforged for the lulz

marcielle
2011-11-28, 06:06 PM
IIRC, being a awakened animal whose original CR was 1/3 or lower also gets you negative LA. This can be used to get monstrous templates like mineral Warior or Half Dragon cheaper.

Runestar
2011-11-28, 06:23 PM
Ghaele sounds like a fun ECL20 race, assuming your DM allows the monster class from savage species. For the first 14 levels, you are actually stronger than a straight cleric! :smallbiggrin:

Glimbur
2011-11-28, 06:51 PM
The Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) is a feasible alternative to a normal bard if you are starting at level 9+. Throw in a level of actual bard and, if the DM lets you play with skill points from racial hit dice, and you can slide in to Sublime Chord at level 11.

JaronK
2011-11-28, 06:59 PM
Black Ethergaunt. ECL 20, but with enough casting to have 9th level spells in addition to a variety of other insanely good abilities.

And nothing quite says HULK SMASH like a Half Minotaur Lolth Touched Water Orc.

JaronK

Essence_of_War
2011-11-29, 04:59 PM
There is a link in my sig to a little compilation of playable races with racial HD sorted in a few useful ways.

If you want a pixie like character, the Domovoi (a small fey, frostburn) gets a ton of mental/dex stat adjustments for a reasonable ECL.

If you want a rogue/assassin/dex-based psywar/swordsage, I highly recommend the marrulurk from sandstorm. They're pretty scary. They'd work pretty well as a dex-based Psychic Warrior also.

I've always had a soft spot for greenspawn zealots as well :smallamused: